Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

conveniently left out Tyrone there I see. A match where he made 3 brilliant saves, one a one on one and saved them at the end cutting out that hospital pass in last minute.

He had a very good kicking season also. I watched every single Mayo game and he is well on for an All Star

Also short of acknowledgement that Cluxton, too has made some errors on his kickouts, most notably in the semi final. Fair enough pick holes in the other two but balance it out.

I haven't picked any holes in Comerford, neither have I put Cluxton forward as an All-Star cert. I am only advancing the obvious opinion that if you are not first-choice keeper for an All-Ireland replay for your own county, then it is plainly obvious that you cannot be a contender for an All-Star, unless you are arguing that the All-Star is a toss-up between Clarke and Hennelly.

Like many others you don't seem to realise how Cluxton has changed the face of goalkeeping this last decade. Kickouts are the main business now, and Clarke had a brainfart towards the end of the first game and got dropped for the second - definitely not All-Star material.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The players should dump him now and put McEntee in charge. .

There's a joke about an artist who thought his cock was holding him back from achieving his potential so he chopped it off... only to find the problem was his head

thats a bit like letting the mayo players hire and fire managers, at some point they'll have to realize the manager isn't the problem :o. Absolute Madness letting players pick the management, it's the other way around

Cluxtons potential All star probably has more to do with him lifting sam three times than his performances over the year.

PressRun wrote: »
    Clarke had a short meltdown against Dublin. Cluxton had one against Kerry and that wasn't the first time for him either. Sometimes goalkeepers make errors. Clarke made a number of great saves and interventions over the course of the summer that often kept Mayo in it. He had a great season and didn't deserve to be dropped. Arguing "why was he on the bench then?" as some sort of clever response doesn't really wash since it was clearly a mistake to leave him on the bench.

If is was so clearly a mistake to leave him on the bench, a certain All-Star in the minds of Mayo supporters, then the same Mayo supporters have to be calling for Rochford to step aside. If the Mayo management don't have faith in him, why should the rest of us, unless the Mayo management is gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Godge wrote: »
    I haven't picked any holes in Comerford, neither have I put Cluxton forward as an All-Star cert. I am only advancing the obvious opinion that if you are not first-choice keeper for an All-Ireland replay for your own county, then it is plainly obvious that you cannot be a contender for an All-Star, unless you are arguing that the All-Star is a toss-up between Clarke and Hennelly.

Like many others you don't seem to realise how Cluxton has changed the face of goalkeeping this last decade. Kickouts are the main business now, and Clarke had a brainfart towards the end of the first game and got dropped for the second - definitely not All-Star material.

for goodness sake EVERYONE with a passing interest in football knows Cluxton is the best keeper out there on kickouts and has modernised the game in that sense, you would swear you need to keep pushing that to convince them! We all know, nor noone has ever said otherwise.

It doesn't mean he has a divine right to an All Star if there were keepers out there that had much more important seasons and I would be pretty sure Clarke will take that tbh.

Also 99% of people think Clarke shouldn't have been dropped, and that isn't in hindsight either. Its great to come back and say he deserved to be dropped but there was absolutely no logic. His kicking, on percentages, was more than very good this season. And his shotstopping and catching is better than Cluxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

The players are perfectly entitled to have a big role in who the manager is they are the ones putting in the effort and they know a hell of a lot more about inter county football than any member of a county board.

They lost an all ireland final replay by one point that's all.The way you are going on you'd think they'd been beaten by London in the first round of the qualifiers.

Also please learn how to spell arrogant properly if you are going to use the word.

Sorry about the misspelling.

Would you mind me asking what county you come from in order that I can understand if it is one of the more successful or less successful counties in Ireland.

In addition again if you do not mind could you let me know what Soccer team you support and what rugby team you support (assuming that you support one). This will help me to understand your logic better.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    There's a joke about an artist who thought his cock was holding him back from achieving his potential so he chopped it off... only to find the problem was his head

thats a bit like letting the mayo players hire and fire managers, at some point they'll have to realize the manager isn't the problem :o. Absolute Madness letting players pick the management, it's the other way around

Cluxtons potential All star probably has more to do with him lifting sam three times than his performances over the year.

I like this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Robeman wrote: »
    Sorry about the misspelling.

Would you mind me asking what county you come from in order that I can understand if it is one of the more successful or less successful counties in Ireland.

In addition again if you do not mind could you let me know what Soccer team you support and what rugby team you support (assuming that you support one). This will help me to understand your logic better.

I support Dublin,Kilkenny and Kerry in GAA.

I support Real Madrid,Barcelona,Juventus,Bayern Munich,Man City,Man Utd,Chelsea in Soccer.

I support New Zealand in Rugby

No it isn't.

The players give the commitment, they work with the manager they should have more say than anyone in who their manager is as they'll want the manager who gives them the best chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

No.

I support winners as it reflects on me as a person and my winning mentality in life.I'm the real winner each week not the players who play for any of my teams.

• Advertisement

for goodness sake EVERYONE with a passing interest in football knows Cluxton is the best keeper out there on kickouts and has modernised the game in that sense, you would swear you need to keep pushing that to convince them! We all know, nor noone has ever said otherwise.

It doesn't mean he has a divine right to an All Star if there were keepers out there that had much more important seasons and I would be pretty sure Clarke will take that tbh.

Also 99% of people think Clarke shouldn't have been dropped, and that isn't in hindsight either. Its great to come back and say he deserved to be dropped but there was absolutely no logic. His kicking, on percentages, was more than very good this season. And his shotstopping and catching is better than Cluxton.

Cluxton wasn't dropped for the replay - Clarke was. That is enough to put Cluxton ahead of Clarke. The All-Ireland final is where people step up and are counted.

Small margins, difference between good and great, difference between great and legendary. Clarke is good, but not good enough, hey, if conceding an All-Star to him helps the healing process, he can have it. Won't ever put him in Cluxton's league though.

I support Dublin,Kilkenny and Kerry in GAA.

I support Real Madrid,Barcelona,Juventus,Bayern Munich,Man City,Man Utd,Chelsea in Soccer.

I support New Zealand in Rugby

Winners one and all and not one of them allow the players to pick the manager.

As a Dublin and Kerry supporter I can see how you are in favour of Mayo players continuing to pick the manager.

There are no flies on you a product of Kerry and Dublin parents living in New Zealand who undoubtly worked for a number of years around Europe or just went inter railing there. I salute you and look forward to discussing Irl \ NZ matches with you later in the year.

No it isn't.

The players give the commitment, they work with the manager they should have more say than anyone in who their manager is as they'll want the manager who gives them the best chance of winning.

And when the best chance of the team winning is dropping the players who call the shots? Management should not be in hock to players. Players tend to want what's best for the team so long as its also best for themselves, management need to call the shots based on the bigger picture.

You think Jim Gavin or Mickey Harte would be fluting around letting Aidan O'Shea flit between positions? The lad would be earning his keep at full foward or he'd be on the bench.

No it isn't.

indeed.

Only 3 options.

County Board Fire them
    They resign
    Players protest to County Boards and enforce his departure.

Middle one not an option in this case it seemed
    First one was very unlikely.
    Third one is the most likely, in a lot of GAA departures. Players are the most qualified to know what they are working with and they clearly felt the departures were needed. They hardly done it for any other reason, whether it emanated from a personal breakdown between management and players or a lack of confidence in how they were playing underneath them.

County Boards don't have a clue half the time. So many managerial sackings over the last few years for most countys on the back of a bad or average season. Hyperbole stuff. I would trust a bunch of players who seem to have a great team spirit to know what is right for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No.

I support winners as it reflects on me as a person and my winning mentality in life.I'm the real winner each week not the players who play for any of my teams.
    Time to give up on Man Utd so

Time to give up on Man Utd so

We'll be back.You can't keep a traditional club like ours down for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

If is was so clearly a mistake to leave him on the bench, a certain All-Star in the minds of Mayo supporters, then the same Mayo supporters have to be calling for Rochford to step aside. If the Mayo management don't have faith in him, why should the rest of us, unless the Mayo management is gone?

Not only Mayo supporters who were touting Clarke as an All-Star winner, tbh. Honestly, I couldn't give a flying **** who wins the All Stars, but Clarke had a great year and it was harsh on him to be on the bench for the replay.

And why would anyone be calling for Rochford to step aside? He made the wrong call on Hennelly and it should have been Clarke in there. He got plenty of other calls right during the summer and should most definitely be kept on for next year, especially with U21s joining the panel who I'm sure will be keen to get in the mix.

And when the best chance of the team winning is dropping the players who call the shots? Management should not be in hock to players. Players tend to want what's best for the team so long as its also best for themselves, management need to call the shots based on the bigger picture.

You think Jim Gavin or Mickey Harte would be fluting around letting Aidan O'Shea flit between positions? The lad would be earning his keep at full foward or he'd be on the bench.

The players want to win all irelands, that's what they care about most of all.

Just because the players have a say in picking the manager doesn't mean he has to stand there and do whatever they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's interesting that there are some here who seem to know exactly what's going on in the Mayo dressing room. People who aren't even from Mayo too!

• Advertisement

Cluxton wasn't dropped for the replay - Clarke was. That is enough to put Cluxton ahead of Clarke. The All-Ireland final is where people step up and are counted.

Small margins, difference between good and great, difference between great and legendary. Clarke is good, but not good enough, hey, if conceding an All-Star to him helps the healing process, he can have it. Won't ever put him in Cluxton's league though.

you don't get it do you! It was Rochford who dropped him. Rochford made a monumental error, risk, gamble, call it what you want, but it was illogical.

Rochford won't decide who wins the All Star.

indeed.

Only 3 options.

County Board Fire them
    They resign
    Players protest to County Boards and enforce his departure.

Middle one not an option in this case it seemed
    First one was very unlikely.
    Third one is the most likely, in a lot of GAA departures. Players are the most qualified to know what they are working with and they clearly felt the departures were needed. They hardly done it for any other reason, whether it emanated from a personal breakdown between management and players or a lack of confidence in how they were playing underneath them.

County Boards don't have a clue half the time. So many managerial sackings over the last few years for most countys on the back of a bad or average season. Hyperbole stuff. I would trust a bunch of players who seem to have a great team spirit to know what is right for them.

Why not just eliminate the manager all together and let the players manage every thing themselves given that they are so knowlegeable about matters. Let this panel pick the league panel and the league panel the 2017 championship panel. Let them also raise the 600k budget needed to finance team as well. Maybe this is the road to All Ireland success.

Let the subs decide who and when subs should be introduced during games.

In their spare time the players could develop fusion reactors, bring peace to the middle east and find the cure for the common cold.

The players want to win all irelands, that's what they care about most of all.

Just because the players have a say in picking the manager doesn't mean he has to stand there and do whatever they say.
    Patww79 wrote: »

You would wonder all right.

Players want to win all ireland medals for themselves
    Players want to play
    Players want their pals to play
    Players want to play in their favourite position

Managers want the team to win all irelands

Two very different sets of goals, and often not compatible

The Buck stops with the management, they have the responsibility and they deserve to be in control. A guy who's picked by the team and has to worry about being dropped by the team if he pisses off certain individuals is not in control. Rochford was picked by the team, his shortcomings, whatever they are, are on them but now people are calling for his head so the team can pick someone else. Nonsense

you don't get it do you! It was Rochford who dropped him. Rochford made a monumental error, risk, gamble, call it what you want, but it was illogical.

Rochford won't decide who wins the All Star.

Are you sure ? what evidence do you have that what you are saying is true ?. I say that the "Egos" were to blame. I don't have any evidence to support my opinion though but I expect that neither do you to support your opinion.

christ almighty! Thank fk for the ignore button

Not only Mayo supporters who were touting Clarke as an All-Star winner, tbh. Honestly, I couldn't give a flying **** who wins the All Stars, but Clarke had a great year and it was harsh on him to be on the bench for the replay.

And why would anyone be calling for Rochford to step aside? He made the wrong call on Hennelly and it should have been Clarke in there. He got plenty of other calls right during the summer and should most definitely be kept on for next year, especially with U21s joining the panel who I'm sure will be keen to get in the mix.

Nobody was calling for Connolly \ Holmes to step aside until some players decided to for reasons that were never stated.

Now at least we have a reason for asking SR to step aside namely a monumental selection error. If C & H had to go for no stated reason then by same logic SR has to go when there is a good reason.

Why is this year any different to last same result lost to Dublin after a reply.

It's interesting that there are some here who seem to know exactly what's going on in the Mayo dressing room. People who aren't even from Mayo too!

Ireland is a small country. Its harder to understand how people from Mayo don't know what has been going on.

You would wonder all right.

Players want to win all ireland medals for themselves
    Players want to play
    Players want their pals to play
    Players want to play in their favourite position

Managers want the team to win all irelands

Two very different sets of goals, and often not compatible

The Buck stops with the management, they have the responsibility and they deserve to be in control. A guy who's picked by the team and has to worry about being dropped by the team if he pisses off certain individuals is not in control. Rochford was picked by the team, his shortcomings, whatever they are, are on them but now people are calling for his head so the team can pick someone else. Nonsense

I am calling for SR to resign in order that the County Board can reassume control of senior team by appointing a manager of their own choosing who is not beholden to the players. I would futher call on this manager when appointed to dump from panel all the ringleaders of coup last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Just looking at the betting for 2017:

Dublin 5/4 - ridiculously short price
    Mayo 7/2 - worth a punt
    Kerry 4/1 - about right.
    Tyrone 7/1 - mmmmmmm
    22/1 bar and no-one outside of above have hope in hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement