Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So who is playing this next year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Tbf, lads, this year had a capacity of 8500 and there are reports its less in 2017.

How many tier 1 tickets do you expect them to release? They're just cutting into their profit margins - there are people suggesting they've cut costs with acts, booking local DJs, etc. Surely if they sell off half the tickets (or more) on the cheap, there's even less money for acts?

They're essentially the B&S equivalent to EP's loyalty tickets - if you're signed up, you get a code and you buy your cheaper ticket.

If you're not, you don't.

Tiered tickets aaaalways work like that - look at Indiependence. Two tiers of tickets went on day one and that's a bigger capacity festival. AND they had early birds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'm surprised they even had any on general sale. last year or the year before the Tier 1 tickets sold out in about 3mins. i wonder if the price hike and the less than enthusiastic reaction to the lineup last year lead to slower sales for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

So who is playing this next year.

Aphex Twin is playing Field Day in London in early June, maybe he'll play B&S a few weeks later!

image.thumb.png.64d48501185f18d013308ff925d62f19.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Tbf, lads, this year had a capacity of 8500 and there are reports its less in 2017.

Are you sure that's the capacity? All reviews from last year said the capacity had been increased to 15,000 (it was 10,000 in 2015 and 8,500 in 2014).

Where did you hear it would be decreased next year? It would justify the price hike for me if they decreased the capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Are you sure that's the capacity? All reviews from last year said the capacity had been increased to 15,000 (it was 10,000 in 2015 and 8,500 in 2014).

Where did you hear it would be decreased next year? It would justify the price hike for me if they decreased the capacity.

Whoops - you're correct re: the capacity, I was reading an old article that was dated 2016 on Irish Times for some reason.

I can't remember where I heard about the capacity decrease, so it may be as reliable as my attendance figures claim :pac:

Either way, though, even with a 15k capacity, I really think people are expecting quite a bit if they want tier 1 reduced tickets available for very long, especially 'cos literally anyone could get a code.

I know some people suggested it wasn't publicised too much, but it was all over my Twitter, Facebook and Instragram in those 'sponsored posts' (because I like a lot of festival pages/accounts, Im guessing, but if anyone else is in that boat with me then theres quite a few people being made aware of it.)

Add to the fact that for a certain section of Irish society, the boom is back and the in-thing is festivals (see: ticket sales for Electric Picnic, Indiependence and big gigs like Coldplay, Radiohead, etc) then there was always a huge chance that tickets would be gone in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That's true, tickets in general have been selling out instantly this year so no major surprise that the body & soul earlybirds went so quick. I like that Body & Soul gather feedback from their customers and in the years I have gone they have been fairly proactive in taking the feedback on board and making changes.

Regarding the line up, I've absolutely no idea who could play or who I would like. Body & Soul are pretty ahead of the posse when it comes to bookings often getting acts before they become big (or so it feels like for me anyway), having said that last years line up seemed weaker than any of the previous years which was disappointing.

Aphex Twin is playing Field Day in London in early June, maybe he'll play B&S a few weeks later!

That would be very nice indeed, the Field Day appearance is apparently a UK festival exclusive, so either B&S, Longitude or EP may get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

From B&S newsletter mail on 24 Nov;
    Body&Soul 2017 will be a weekend of refined and grown-up treats, artistic flourishes and after-dark divilment nourished by the forests, lakeside splendour, natural amphitheatres and green pastures of Ballinlough Castle. The festival will be a strictly over 20s event, with a smaller capacity than in 2016 to restore the sense of the intimacy synonymous with Body&Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

I think what is more interesting is the over 20s move. Overall the language is a clear drive to differentiate B&S from EP. As someone who attends both, I think the distinction is fairly obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Is it usually over 18s? They must have had a lot of complaints of 16 year olds at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I suspect there is another reason for this than our benefit.

It's for their benefit too, it's a risky bet to try and capture a larger audience every year, because you drive off your core audience, which can jeopardise the whole thing, and you've to spend more money pulling the thing off. Better in many ways to remain intimate and exclusive.

To be honest though, I do think it probably is largely because that's who B&S want to be, rather than some underhand commercial reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

DBFC just confirmed on their facebook page that they'll be playing in Ireland this year in June.

Considering where they played at EP Body & Soul must be the front runner for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

MJohnston wrote: »
    I do think it probably is largely because that's who B&S want to be, rather than some underhand commercial reason.

I remember some talk that their lease agreement with Ballinlough ended last year, and some speculation that the festival would be moved.

If the above was correct, I guess a new lease agreement was reached.

Could reduced capacity have been a condition of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

He would have to headline as his fee is eye wateringly watery - 6 figures

He would have to headline as his fee is eye wateringly watery - 6 figures

Do you have a link to this, it sounds the same as what LCD were commanding last year and who played EP instead of Body & Soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Do you have a link to this, it sounds the same as what LCD were commanding last year and who played EP instead of Body & Soul.
    No but i heard of his approx fee for playing Space in Ibiza a few years back, plus he brings a relatively large stage/screens which probably costs a few bob to cart around/rent/staff etc. Just my opinion of course

then again i think he played EP a few years back or was it oxygen? smaller sert up though, guess it depends

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fionamcfi

Did anyone stay in tangerine fields last year? Thinking of doing it this year ... but wanted to know if it's a good idea? And are there restrictions of peoole entering that campsite - not all my friends will be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Peesh89

With the likes of tangerine fields and pink moon at EP.. am i missing something?
    I can't get over the prices for them on top of your ticket already.. the price for a two man tent could get me flights and accom somewhere for a few days.. a few of us were thinking of going down that route this year but nearly died when saw the prices.. why would any of you recommend it other than the convenience?

I'd 100% recommend Pink Moon @ EP for convenience (no need to bring/pitch tent, camping right beside Electric Arena, no queue for clean toilets and showers, general lack of mud) and calm (lots of room to sit out in your camping chair, close to no noise in the wee hours of the morning, a general sense of being far from the madding crowd).

Now calm is not something I go to a music festival for, however a little slice of that where you sleep is much nicer than someone falling over on your tent (or much worse) which can easily happen in general camping.

Have a feeling that it may be a little less worth the money at B&S however all of my Picnic gang were first time Pink Mooners last year and are signed up already for this year.

• Advertisement

That said, the prices are steep...

I'd 100% recommend Pink Moon @ EP for convenience (no need to bring/pitch tent, camping right beside Electric Arena, no queue for clean toilets and showers, general lack of mud) and calm (lots of room to sit out in your camping chair, close to no noise in the wee hours of the morning, a general sense of being far from the madding crowd).

Now calm is not something I go to a music festival for, however a little slice of that where you sleep is much nicer than someone falling over on your tent (or much worse) which can easily happen in general camping.

Have a feeling that it may be a little less worth the money at B&S however all of my Picnic gang were first time Pink Mooners last year and are signed up already for this year.

Thanks mdear, yeah body and soul we went for the us and you campsite last year and was great for that little bit of "calm" away from the storm especially with the rain and mud...

Has there been announcements for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭kwat

Has there been announcements for this yet?

No announcements yet.

Stayed in boutique camping the past two years at B&S. First year was okay but last year they moved the boutique site to a new location - was literally the furthest walking distance from the main entrance so was a bit of a trek to get to. Although they had toilets they weren't kept in great nick and was another long trek to get to the showers and back into the main arena.
    For the extra money it costs I don't think it was worth it last year and will be going for Us & You site this year.

kwat wrote: »
    No announcements yet.

Stayed in boutique camping the past two years at B&S. First year was okay but last year they moved the boutique site to a new location - was literally the furthest walking distance from the main entrance so was a bit of a trek to get to. Although they had toilets they weren't kept in great nick and was another long trek to get to the showers and back into the main arena.
    For the extra money it costs I don't think it was worth it last year and will be going for Us & You site this year.

Us & You was great last year. Would just say one thing, don't camp near the toilets. Not for smell or hygiene reasons but the constant banging of the metal doors on the compost toilets was absolutely killer haha

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Can't see anything about Sunday tickets this year. Are they not doing them or do they not release them until closer the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Can't see anything about Sunday tickets this year. Are they not doing them or do they not release them until closer the time?

Read somewhere a while back that they were releasing them in April. They have a newsletter you can sign up for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

I see Pond are going to be in Europe around June. They'd be a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Aphex playing Forbidden Fruit, so pretty definitely not at B&S. Not too bothered by that, seen him live twice now and never liked it at all (and I really like his music).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

MJohnston wrote: »
    Aphex playing Forbidden Fruit, so pretty definitely not at B&S. Not too bothered by that, seen him live twice now and never liked it at all (and I really like his music).

Was it his song choices or was he just not that good live?
    I'm going to go see him at FF but it's a bit disheartening looking at recent setlists as to why he doesn't perform some of his best work live.
    It baffles me as to why so many DJs/producers would rather mix other artists less quality songs.

Advertisement