Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BikesKilleen

So any new announcements coming for this, was hoping for a few from the Glastonbury line up.
    Looking like we'll have to wait another while for any more updates..

Hard to judge if we'd see many coming from Glasto with it being on on the same week but would love to see the likes of Loyle Carner & Sampha over

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The line up for this needs to be beefed up wee a bit, methinks.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

This festival is more than the music I take it? Not knocking it but a couple of friends asked me to go and I was struggling to recognise a lot of the bill

Shane St. wrote: »
    This festival is more than the music I take it? Not knocking it but a couple of friends asked me to go and I was struggling to recognise a lot of the bill

Well here's a good start:

Optimo: Glasgow techno stalwarts of many years, the guys behind Glasgow's Subclub and they will be a great night of pumping dance music, they also have Kelly-Anne Byrne supporting them who is a great DJ in her own right, both on the radio and as a DJ.

Vitalic's set at Life Festival 2011 where this guy in a suit of lights joined the audience.

King Kong Company - Panic Button. This band doesn't need much of an introduction, one of Waterford's finest.

Lambchop

There's a taster of four anyways, do a bit of youtubing, googling and wikipediaing and you should work out the line up a bit better for yourself.

Yep I definitely think this guy, Max Cooper is ideal Body & Soul fodder, a sub say to Vitalic. He has that supreme type of glitchiness beloved of Four Tet, Jon Hopkins, James Holden and Modeselektor, but nice droney bassy ambience that fits the tripped out, 24 hour party mushroom poopers :D:eek:. He would equally go down nice in the Rankin Woods tent at the Picnic too. Cooper is from Belfast so quite easily bookable for an Irish fest.

• Advertisement

Yep I definitely think this guy, Max Cooper is ideal Body & Soul fodder, a sub say to Vitalic. He has that supreme type of glitchiness beloved of Four Tet, Jon Hopkins, James Holden and Modeselektor, but nice droney bassy ambience that fits the tripped out, 24 hour party mushroom poopers :D:eek:. He would equally go down nice in the Rankin Woods tent at the Picnic too. Cooper is from Belfast so quite easily bookable for an Irish fest.

Every since you linked his stuff here earlier during the week, I've been hooked. Would be a brilliant addition to a lacking lineup.

Vitalic, Tiggs Da Author, DBFC, Birdy Nam Nam, A Tribe Called Red & Kelly Anne Byrne are all solid acts but I really hope there is a few heavier hitters added soon!

I got a feeling the announcement could be this Monday, it seems there is a lot of things happening within the festival that day. Festival volunteer applications go online and my flatmate's section, Soul Kids is putting their applications online to on Monday. It tends to be when there is a flurry of activity like this that something major is going to be announced in conjunction with the other activities. Well, hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭DaSchmo

Campervan tickers back on sale this evening. Glad to have got mine! For anyone else who missed the boat first time round I'd advise to get yourself quick.

Well the volunteer forms went online yesterday but no whispers about a second announcement as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RonkoDeTonko

I generally love Body&Soul, but I'm not a fan of this year's lineup. Needs something a bit heavier to get me in. Hudson Mohawke last year on the main stage was life changing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

New acts added, some decent ones in there - Sinkane, The Moonlandingz, Austra & Mykki Blanco

https://twitter.com/BodyandSoulIrl/status/849256613403918336

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

New acts added, some decent ones in there - Sinkane, The Moonlandingz, Austra & Mykki Blanco

https://twitter.com/BodyandSoulIrl/status/849256613403918336

+1 for The Moonlandingz & Austra, but its not the huge beef up that was probably needed.

My mistake of double booking the family holiday at the same tmie is not looking too grim for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Some gems in that lineup it has to be said though - La Femme & Anna Meredith specifically for me

C8kqYXyXsAA-j2t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RonkoDeTonko

Mykki Blanco will be interesting, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm a big big Sinkane fan, that'll be a really top set if it's a nice sunny day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

With the lineup, the price of tickets & the renewed 15,000 capacity i wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't sell out.

Pretty disappointed with that announcement. Not to say there isn't a few acts that I do enjoy added but I don't feel it comes close to what we've had in recent years.

Has the majority of the spending gone on the festival grounds etc?

I'm sure I'll still have an absolutely magical weekend but if the price keeps going up and the quality of the lineup going down, it'll be tough to justify it in coming years....

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I've heard they're struggling to sell tickets this year and with that lineup it's little wonder. I'd also say a lot of people have been put off by last years experience, both the general overcrowding and the chaos caused by the rain.

Sandwell wrote: »
    I've heard they're struggling to sell tickets this year and with that lineup it's little wonder. I'd also say a lot of people have been put off by last years experience, both the general overcrowding and the chaos caused by the rain.

Yeah the selling points for the festival used to be the setting, the chilled out vibe with under 10,000 crowd and the excellent if understated lineup with a sprinkling of big names like Nick Cave, PiL, St. Vincent, Jon Hopkins, Super Furry Animals, Goldfrapp etc

If they keep removing the selling points one by one whilst doubling the price they're on a hiding to nothing.

Cheap stunts like sending out emails the night before tickets went on sale saying they were reducing the capacity doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not many names in that announcement that I recognise. Was hoping for better! They are definitely making an effort not to appeal to the masses IMO, not many names on there that would be recognised by your average joe I wouldn't think.. Considering Glastonbury is on the same weekend across the pond you would think there would be one or two decent sized acts they could have pulled if they wanted to!

I don't know what to think about the line up, I know some of the acts, it looks like I'm going to have to google a few names and do some research. I get the impression that the B&S line ups are becoming increasingly obscurer. Mind you I'm working there and at least we don't have the annoying fecking Coronas who are headlining Sea Sessions on the same weekend.

Just been going through the music bios in the B&S website and playing some of the video clips, well impressed with Vitalic, Austra (Reminds me of the zaniness of early Eurythmics, especially the vocals of Annie Lennox), Lambchop, Metronomy and the Sleaford Mods so far, some good stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭kwat

Not many names in that announcement that I recognise. Was hoping for better! They are definitely making an effort not to appeal to the masses IMO, not many names on there that would be recognised by your average joe I wouldn't think.. Considering Glastonbury is on the same weekend across the pond you would think there would be one or two decent sized acts they could have pulled if they wanted to!

Yeah it feels like its missing at least one or two bigger names. Understand B&S isn't about that and they've said this year they're bringing B&S back to its roots, but past few years we've had Flight Facilities, Goldfrapp, Solange. Nobody at that level there this year and prices are higher / capacity is bigger than recent years, so you'd have to wonder where the money is going.

kwat wrote: »
    Yeah it feels like its missing at least one or two bigger names. Understand B&S isn't about that and they've said this year they're bringing B&S back to its roots, but past few years we've had Flight Facilities, Goldfrapp, Solange. Nobody at that level there this year and prices are higher / capacity is bigger than recent years, so you'd have to wonder where the money is going.

I've gone with a group of 6-8 friends since 2011, none of them are going this year.

Their attitude is basically every year they're being asked to pay more for less, they're all going to Forbidden Fruit this year.

I've gone with a group of 6-8 friends since 2011, none of them are going this year.

Their attitude is basically every year they're being asked to pay more for less, they're all going to Forbidden Fruit this year.

Forbidden Fruit has great lineups, but it is nowhere near comparable imo. It lives and dies purely by that lineup, and the organisers put in very little money to anything other than bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

MJohnston wrote: »
    Forbidden Fruit has great lineups, but it is nowhere near comparable imo. It lives and dies purely by that lineup, and the organisers put in very little money to anything other than bookings.

It seems like the organisers are using the ever increasing ticket prices to line their own pockets rather than spend it on getting more high profile acts.
    Forbidden fruit have got the strongest music line up of any Irish festival this year. Surely all music festivals live and die by their line ups

There seems to be a lot of French electro in the line up, its a pity that didn't extend to Air, but enjoying hearing some of these acts for the first time, seeing that I'm working there anyway prefestival I might as well sample some of the line up. Enjoying Birdy Nam Nam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

my group has similarly been going since 2011, and are also giving it a miss and doing FF again for the first time in a couple of years.
    true, they're very different festivals, but there's only so many times you can give a crap about some NCAD student's decorations on a tree, a random disco ball or some logs to sit on in a forest clearing.
    lineup wins out over the same tired cliches and "the vibe" every time for us at this stage.

it's the same with EP, been going since 2005 but a bad lineup and we'd all be happy to drop it like a hot snot.

• Advertisement

Peter File wrote: »
    It seems like the organisers are using the ever increasing ticket prices to line their own pockets rather than spend it on getting more high profile acts.
    Forbidden fruit have got the strongest music line up of any Irish festival this year. Surely all music festivals live and die by their line ups

Maybe they are, maybe they're using the money on the rest of the festival, that won't really be clear until after its over unfortunately.

FF always have the strongest lineup. They're in the middle of a city which instantly makes things substantially cheaper in terms of logistics. They don't spend money on non-musical aspects. The fest is slathered in corporate sponsorship. They don't really organise much in the way of food options, and the bars are taken care of by the aforementioned headline sponsors. There is no camping to facilitate. Site security is significantly easier and cheaper due to the existing secure aspects of the site itself. And because most people buy day tickets rather than weekend tickets, the overall ticket income over 3 days ends up much the same as B&S final tier weekend prices.

I'm saying all this not as a knock against FF, but purely to point out why they can afford so much more money spent on booking artists.

Now, I bought my B&S at the cheapest possible price, so I'm not too bothered by the lineup anyway, but I definitely disagree that festivals live and die by their lineups. That may be true for some people, but not for many others too. My point is, FF has nothing to offer anyone *other than* the lineup, B&S definitely does.

Advertisement