Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fernhill is within our 2km exercise limit, so we wander around there when we need fresh air, because, well, look at it:

2020-04-04-16.12.20a.jpg

They do the fae-folk-doors-in-the-trees thing for the kids, but they don't have any toadstools (and I've always seen toadstools with those before). Also, they had the tree surgeon in before the lockdown but haven't removed the logs yet, so I...er... liberated one :D

IMG_4295a.jpg

Hacked off a lump, put it on the lathe...

Turned an okayish toadstool from it.

IMG_4309a.jpg

IMG_4310a.jpg

The second one.... well, I'm glad I was wearing the faceshield, or I'd be going to the dentist to have some bark removed round about now :D

2020-04-05-17.05.24a.jpg

Off-center turning is fun but scary :D

Two more chunks of log to go, then I'll stick some dowels in the bases of them and Calum and I will go plant them back in Fernhill by the doors in the trees for the other kids.

I might liberate another branch if nobody's looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Very cool idea replanting them in the forest:)

Well, technically I stole the log, so that's just me trying to stay out of the pokey for looting in a pandemic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

Purple heart and Sepele lamp

My first bowl :)

2020-04-08-23.18.09a.jpg

Not sure of the wood (it came from one of homeofwood.co.uk's variety packs and the miniatures in those aren't often labelled), but it's finished in poppy seed oil and a single coat of blonde shellac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

So, my boys asked me if I had an elastic band to keep their UNO cards together...

508927.jpg

508928.jpg

508929.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sparks wrote: »
    My first bowl :)

2020-04-08-23.18.09a.jpg

Not sure of the wood (it came from one of homeofwood.co.uk's variety packs and the miniatures in those aren't often labelled), but it's finished in poppy seed oil and a single coat of blonde shellac.

Nicely finished! Looks like Beech?

I'm waiting on (yet another) sack of blanks from home of wood. I find them great as I've np space here for milling my own timber, as I'm in the middle of the town.

Finally got around to doing this little project. Hopefully that the end to me losing any more router bits :pac:

EVL47bRXkAgGE4U?format=jpg&name=small

I was going to ask what the rubber bungs were, but on close inspection, they look like they might be made for this job

cletus wrote: »
    I was going to ask what the rubber bungs were, but on close inspection, they look like they might be made for this job

That's exactly what they're for! They take both the 1/4" & 1/2" bits. Got 2 packs off amazon last year sometime. 10 in a pack, I should have got a few more packs. I didn't try any forstner bits, would look neat on that rack.....

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Nicely finished! Looks like Beech?
    Spalted sycamore apparently. Definitely not beech, I have some of that in the shed and this looked nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

mayo.mick wrote: »
    That's exactly what they're for! They take both the 1/4" & 1/2" bits. Got 2 packs off amazon last year sometime. 10 in a pack, I should have got a few more packs. I didn't try any forstner bits, would look neat on that rack.....

I was going to ask about them too - they look very handy, a quick search on Rockler's site turned up the link: https://www.rockler.com/rockler-router-bit-storage-inserts-10-pack

Thanks Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A clock designed 4 years ago, I decided to do a sort of cabinet for it. Not finished yet, but not far off.
    Corner moldings too short etc. Then varnish at some stage.
    cab1.jpgcab4.jpgcab2.jpgcab3.jpg

Clock itself: (I could have done with reducing image sizes)
    img-1462648207673-v.jpgimg-1462228059157-v.jpgimg-1462716362681-v.jpgbalance-wheel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sparks wrote: »
    Spalted sycamore apparently. Definitely not beech, I have some of that in the shed and this looked nothing like it.
    Definitely sycamore. Sycamore does get affected by fungus just like beech, but it's often much finer and subtle, often called lacey sycamore because the lines resemble lace.

Bruthal, that clock is fantastic. Did you design it from the ground up, or did you get plans from somewhere

Bruthal, that clock is fantastic. Did you design it from the ground up, or did you get plans from somewhere

I designed from scratch. Based on a remontoire movement, spring driven. I have designed a few, that one is the most interesting though. 2016 I did that one, and still the odd slight modification comes into mind and I do it.

Didnt think the balance wheel idea would work as I had not seen any wood clocks with a true balance wheel, but it did. The balance wheel is good in that the clock keeps going even when way off level, which a pendulum one can not when only slightly moved off its set level

Even on the passenger seat of the car, the balance wheel one will keep going.
    I might put up a video of it in a few minutes.

Balance wheel clock in near finished cabinet

Amazing! How many hours went into that:pac:

iamtony wrote: »
    Amazing! How many hours went into that:pac:

Its hard to say, but if i built another one now, it would be working in a few days, as the drawings are there. That one being a new design at the time, took a while.

• Advertisement

Do you sell or otherwise distribute those plans?

Do you sell or otherwise distribute those plans?

I have never intended selling them. I have given away plans for the simpler clocks once or twice. Never heard how they got on. They are sort of easy and not easy at the same time. It is 8 years since I did the first one I designed myself. A lot has been learned since then. That one is still in the hall. Again I modified that one this year, replacing the graham escapement with a grasshopper.

Bruthal wrote: »
    I have never intended selling them. I have given away plans for the simpler clocks once or twice. Never heard how they got on. They are sort of easy and not easy at the same time. It is 8 years since I did the first one I designed myself. A lot has been learned since then. That one is still in the hall. Again I modified that one this year, replacing the graham escapement with a grasshopper.
    em....yeah....yeah....the Graham escapement for a eh... Grasshopper...good call:o does the grasshopper keep you up at night:pac:

em....yeah....yeah....the Graham escapement for a eh... Grasshopper...good call:o does the grasshopper keep you up at night:pac:

That was my initial thought too. Methinks this thread could inspire many questions in the "no such thing as a stupid question" thread...

does the grasshopper keep you up at night:pac:

Not now that it works properly

That was my initial thought too.

Here is the one in question from 2012, original (25 seconds in to see the escapement), and after the modification is second video.

Bruthal, that's absolutely magnificent.

Got an 18g brad nailer the other day (to go with the cutest little 6L draper air compressor which is the biggest one that'll fit in the shed) and knocked up a *very* quick-n-dirty planter today out of offcuts - since there'll be no visits to the garden center with the lockdown extended, we're making do :)

2020-04-10-17.13.05a.jpg

2020-04-10-17.13.32a.jpg

2020-04-10-17.26.39a.jpg

Granted, not fine furniture but it beats what we were using till now :D

2020-04-10-17.26.58a.jpg

What brad gun did you get

• Advertisement

Makita AF505.

2020-04-10-15.40.01a.jpg

Lovely solid thing.