Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

So if I had my pick of kitchens, it would be a http://www.kerfdesign.com Kitchen. I've decided I'll try make a basic cabinet with 3 drawers. Not having ply to start I've decided to make a few jigs to pay homage to Kerf. First up is a trench jig, it'll give me the look I'm going for as I'm only armed with a track saw, mitre saw and router. My plan is to have a flush panel between each drawer. Next up will be a jig for the handle cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Few bits I got done in the last few weeks:

Some shelves for the kids room, most of a sheet of ply used, rabbets, biscuits & glue for the joints:

IyZYRWYl.jpg

qERAefpl.jpg

I made it as large as possible for the space, needless to say It covered both sockets in the area.. :o

ti4Ufoml.jpg

I upgraded the first woodworking project I did a couple of years ago, a floating bed made out of pine & veneered with some Teak on the visible edges.

LGrr29Ul.jpg

Basically I changed the 3 x 2's on the outside to oak to match the lockers, (will also be insulating and cladding the rear wall with wood panels, so it should look well...)

zOPew8Al.jpg

uktF5Nll.jpg

The joints came out OK, round-over bit on the edges, sanded to 320 and some finish.

tB2yRcMl.jpg

W3OCtgUl.jpg

rYHj1dbl.jpg

And some chopping boards, we'll not be short of these for a while :)

HMJs5Xjl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

The Duk wrote: »
    So if I had my pick of kitchens, it would be a http://www.kerfdesign.com Kitchen. I've decided I'll try make a basic cabinet with 3 drawers. Not having ply to start I've decided to make a few jigs to pay homage to Kerf. First up is a trench jig, it'll give me the look I'm going for as I'm only armed with a track saw, mitre saw and router. My plan is to have a flush panel between each drawer. Next up will be a jig for the handle cut out.

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just did my first bit of woodturning for several years. A shallow 11" diameter bowl in yew, finished with Organoil Hi-Speed finishing oil, my favourite finish. Turned (!) out quite well IMHO.

IMG-20200411-170208.jpg

IMG-20200411-170221.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭bamayang

Sparks wrote: »
    Makita AF505.

2020-04-10-15.40.01a.jpg

Lovely solid thing.

How big a nail can it drive?

• Advertisement

bamayang wrote: »
    How big a nail can it drive?

15-50mm brads.

JayZeus wrote: »
    15-50mm brads.

Is it working well? I was going to get one and wondering which one to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Alun wrote: »
    Just did my first bit of woodturning for several years. A shallow 11" diameter bowl in yew, finished with Organoil Hi-Speed finishing oil, my favourite finish. Turned (!) out quite well IMHO.

IMG-20200411-170208.jpg

IMG-20200411-170221.jpg

Yew'll be happy with that! :pac:

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Yew'll be happy with that! :pac:
    Yes, very happy :D It's a lovely piece of wood, had it for ages sitting in the workshop. Dry as a bone and verrrry hard. The thing I love about yew is that you can get a really glossy smooth finish on it without too much effort using only natural things like oils and waxes.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, very happy :D It's a lovely piece of wood, had it for ages sitting in the workshop. Dry as a bone and verrrry hard. The thing I love about yew is that you can get a really glossy smooth finish on it without too much effort using only natural things like oils and waxes.

I love Yew too! Yeah, you can get a brilliant finish on it alright. But you'd need to be careful when sanding and polishing though, not to build up too much heat (can happen quite fast!). It can cause little hairline cracks, happened me a few times till one of the lads in our chapter put me wise to it!

I find it very difficult to get much Yew around these parts, I got some lovely blanks off home of wood in uk. I'd like to get my hands on some bigger spindle lengths for making some lamps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a bit ironic that you can't get yew around your part of the world!

a bit ironic that you can't get yew around your part of the world!

That's whats annoying me alright, "Plain of the Yew Trees" :pac:! At least I cant find much, not to say there's none to be got.

I love Yew too! Yeah, you can get a brilliant finish on it alright. But you'd need to be careful when sanding and polishing though, not to build up too much heat (can happen quite fast!). It can cause little hairline cracks, happened me a few times till one of the lads in our chapter put me wise to it!
    Yes, it can be a real problem, especially on small pieces. I make, or used to make, quite a few small decorative "boxes" out of yew branches, and being quite small diameter I cranked the speed up a bit which was great for turning, but you had to be careful to wind it down a bit when sanding.
    I find it very difficult to get much Yew around these parts, I got some lovely blanks off home of wood in uk. I'd like to get my hands on some bigger spindle lengths for making some lamps.
    I think the problem is that for good sized pieces of any real size for bowl turning or large planks for table tops etc. you need English Yew which grows like a normal tree with a good sized trunk and limbs, whereas a lot of the yew I got here was from Irish Yew which tends to grow more in branches from it's base. You can find English yew here but I think it's less common.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had an old tropical hardwood blank that i won in a raffle at a chapter meet. it had some fine cracks in it, so i decided to just have a bit of fun with it. it held together, anyway.

509297.jpg

509298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Finished a small coffee table yesterday. It’s been a learning journey including a major mess up during glue up :)

In the end pleased with how it turned out. Sorry to see it go (a gift for my ma).

HLSxV2f_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

BackInTown wrote: »
    Finished a small coffee table yesterday. It’s been a learning journey including a major mess up during glue up :)

In the end pleased with how it turned out. Sorry to see it go (a gift for my ma).

HLSxV2f_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Very nice! Have you any WIP photos? No such thing as a "major mess up", its called the *design process* !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

The Duk wrote: »

Working on the Handle void jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maintenance day in the shed yesterday. Finally put the aftermarket fence I bought for the Titan bandsaw on it:

2020-04-12-16.51.40a.jpg

And broke down my lathe's chuck because it was a shop demo model bought in a sale and it's been binding a little so I took it to pieces, deburred everything with 1200 wet-n-dry paper, cleaned everything with acetone, blew all the gunk off with compressed air (that new air compressor is just getting used left, right and center now), lubed everything back up with PTFE lubricant (I don't have any moly grease to hand) and reassembled it.

2020-04-12-17.48.49a.jpg

2020-04-12-18.16.37a.jpg

And I tried adding the new jaws and yup, they fit:

2020-04-12-18.21.48a.jpg

So small PSA there - if you bought the 3" Xact chuck from Rutlands and you were wondering if any other jaws fitted it because Rutlands don't sell the bowl reversing jaws for that chuck seperately (which means if you didn't buy the full kit on day one you can't get them at all), yes, the Viper2 jaws will fit the chuck correctly. I got mine here but you can buy them in a few places (and on ebay) because the Viper2 is moderately popular.

Very nice! Have you any WIP photos? No such thing as a "major mess up", its called the *design process* !!!

Thanks mayo.mick. I've too many WIP photos:)... Here's an link for those interested, please excuse the random background items, footballs, bicycles, etc:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qZY2kNw7BRxpTirA8

And if that's all too much (and it probably is for most:confused:) here are a select few

SIk3za_Gsa6iXe9-vN7TS19143JbmKKgFckr34knHIoL3hrXNiRhSXTBTAqGXcArTR6fs_NKww8k1T_8PpLX9MI7epFnzmHDsGLP5Bl68AYrfTIr9QEq75kmrbBVKDhmuzR0NQTSw-zCZmTgScx2IsyWT9eQ9QBEHFQHpfF4YhVW9ow8GAPE92C-nTBdc5ygxTcIxz7OqzE10KDF4pJ3d9nkvqX0FjaUX9SYU5jMC3ZcMMTVo1M-BKsFeZ2pVlPhcXsImRQLYDa64NZWKEM9AdyHr_FNpMtneZKOWdtLqgsQouKMazydRI_VliffTe3YnHLqmhJonMKI0Uux7eW84oT0OVv9ii_UXHdZG203sYUzylzbuAA4EY6jFwRdWI2iY08wAzSJhSvsGM15pGk2V_lM86PeI7d7ib8EdNGP6Fvd9XEy9K-2y04eXwbfAYWUB6SkfpxyDpCMzdbKdNgH8tb3W4qyuBeFH36ixrTtUdXYKgtr591BdmNTqj9cL1xIOzIcdex2DAwpy2XcegvMzOpgymSEVfkBlurTTavlc8oPjwE5-2eOsKktHQqp3UfG6LmyIZNznhz7O4hZrrgwyQb5cfGdikdM80cWht7OtQUZ1bceeTTzpUkByxltD-eyP6VPsxF1GwzskZN0YdxKUaAvRpjLqKbFG-6aJMTV4ZaRwkJBjM1rd7BoikdO6Py313eB42DX0NmUfGkQYu9UEYCE6Z926v6pm0FPdapTpUjfq2i3RToqWvZ5=w633-h843-no

z_xHVotVyXjcGFvnP8spDwRpploivrSDcy5tQrRNchj7wKR5kg3fQ3mxLaR8cWccxURG7Ew4YZnXzvwGdLyTHSF7qN_tg_cm_NcCxHuIAV42NZQ8cFTJPbCwIdA4VU-AZbxYNudB3JCVpLHXwXljQ5J807ZmbXYyvfwRM6Z5qdIOm0_tJQUmAkkV9RiIewRmLSR5zCTbBW_JhqgqYN1Y17nQ5Ay-fuXmCn-kx_vKNx0tvycAMii-PKmvo7nBvkfK9C9NoNa_Ep6yYj9opqj7kfq0mEyKzG_rzMKC9xgha9Oz9fM-RiLLn67wUk7aWD6SMaI4SJeu6xOSRkd9X96O8-TS825vNNa12nY8q4kEkmwSPEfsZCI8KkZpkhiyHW3LVtvthHlyu3XUcUASAk_MiNSRURVZ5KmDk_4fZUqre8j_dkVm0cQ5af1K_4ciCCnDzbfq71XbRquJBxgd3qXADSPCmllagbPbXl3bElzZvIV7y0T405P2QyVk7_4ROf8aZhLFIk7wOvqOBih87PbTPtQoi3imVcXlj_gP4cCFGVO6jCG2EgvYX5rsvY3JJUarWLoy9LEx_OvS05WMqsent3_ZY1syWY8p2ERoj9Iht9TZCMBlTV9jnMxk2KeAS-HcjuXoZvAEXLLEBKqVbfo7GpPSyGZG2EryhuhXTG_59v_gKqcYa0rQdKAKvTsHGAY=w633-h843-no

6vZv8NgGFMt5M1Sm--O_Hr9bAg3tq7oG0EOjDwfRO99Bg2pngEhqZwhlO8a693e_gMBL28MTafpGACp-6bss8_aBOobF1srFOGZJ0sQSG3S1winZsDbg5GUCv0u8tdzAQys1g8QrZr0sKh6kxjuhzXYxTanaAbLHaun-BW81Jshqhmf5leJ3ixLKOE_yGmRnQd3NsG2avipfKGVy9gdFTBRgg3u3-gbxT8wOKG98TdmgwMRfpeetSsR4lAKqY-lBbig-yE6ZvRsGkdtinA3STqtCWScjrfg8OKO96VyH2pzcVURBS8cQQTjgC784yTNlQGxRJVZCUBIYuNfaRfJkOUhVxp8GAH2Ujbi8KFMkothDBHpIbZk3uYAIaKaZK2q5QFLorxMh8tRCnjNbeqW1QfDXk6W-8zPVT4Z_aAicyxCDGdodRUv9yViwCcrbgXpTuoV-E17ZxWoN3x22RRyA6k5POYw8GGGPXFYR-5KEg1qE__neDhfyf9LHyKONrRGwN-OdlftV-D4_KTD3Xi08Ktx0yuEVzIA5hrv_scdlZaVaLlWgxY9jdHhAZzG6eNa8oU5Zbq95tOFHESeO8Sw6ux3QaK_KqlakteCy8cR75zHe0liwZEsP9yazC34ytnNnrwn2hz4KvvimUc5LsRqSnnRMh6pdqQmB0uljp5FHHe57PgrBCL2x77Fp8XvavXE=w633-h843-no

In this one you can see the way the table top is held off the frame
    eQ0KtfIlJbB2DIeLdW1sSaFi1yO5YMcQP-9h092XjScHL3deZso-GiV_ndRSWAMT7WzLYbL30d1qSTqes8oUz2rZVCGT42IYtZdjGRKtoxNjjED9zvmWc802BGNd9bM6UClBBly0qjhv3gTVbpHaM_vjTdbtvL1MC_rfXyWGA2C5d-BIEs4zWr9ab-grWM9O6lne7PVZZ2ehHumBnzpG7Q5u-EZ3-Al-ma5PFL4GztTHYo9r6b9XL9SEXiTtBnZIkPjt16Uk1a0bwQvjwbhERo3DWSBtUbLQE6nYNHuZHrJMdIFSmPXXLXV4KaORH5yu-zn_r_maBkEpywnSPKmzx5sbGOSnL2kkPEyVRnDsoAnmK3BjX9foYsijJRGgoRnL2Nrb27enu-kwNaoQpwJIgGcAqOOLwV2565r-Bzi1i7w8inhAOOcDFl276LTlHKoiJ5gI0TMOujt-M_ZQ5iEsjNmLPztm5MdnzbFQaD_hIufL6n2NeBk0bQaS8IPjt_eB7Ug6ro2TW6R4LaV0Is-rlmd3AVxe1UtnI9kx6H9DFkNUHk-5RbFuIY1n1dHife404X9x2YLY28qnc0n9jvWTH9F-IcBg2usG4lsGNW27_MxWVpinOhP-AMKu2uAzi5Beaj2XsolYGZqSovh-TIlMPJCuBjloNQPm9Va7pRtK__ScqMbbdA3gG9_bnKCaY1I=w633-h843-no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

Very nice. I presume the legs and frame are mortice a tenon joints?

I love the floating table top look. Very impressive

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »

I was thinking the same, it really sets it off!

Little vase (drilled out with the jacobson-chuck-in-the-tailstock approach rather than being hollowed out on account of me having no hollowing tools or knowing how to use them :D ). Spalted sycamore with tung oil, lemon shellac and beeswax. Loads of room to improve, but this is the first vase I've ever turned.

2020-04-15-21.57.34a.jpg

2020-04-15-21.56.46a.jpg

hollowing is actually something i've really only started tackling recently, having bought a hope hollowing tool. ideally i should invest in a tool rest designed for hollowing, i'm getting a good bit of chatter at times.

cletus wrote: »

Thanks @Cletus, yes indeed mortice and tenon joints. Because I had glued legs to gain thickness I was worried about splitting the glue joint during creating mortices. Worked out fine in the end. I kept the mortice holes apart, rather than trying to have a joined mortice hole and tenons meeting at 45deg like I saw Paul Seller's doing recently (one step at a time :rolleyes:)

hollowing is actually something i've really only started tackling recently, having bought a hope hollowing tool. ideally i should invest in a tool rest designed for hollowing, i'm getting a good bit of chatter at times.

Am I right in thinking that the hollowing tools are basically all carbide or hss scrapers with the cutting edge mounted on the side or the tool bar itself actually doglegged?

i got one of these with the modular hope handle:

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/tools-handles/hope-carbide-cutting-tools/101/12mm-hss-hook-tool?c=5

relatively easy to sharpen the tip, to be fair - it's HSS and not carbide, as you can see.

Neat solution, that.

I videoed the second laminated/segmented bowl that I turned during the week. First time recording a work in progress! I'm used to either videoing or turning, but not both together, it was a bit of a challenge to both direct & act :pac:
    Flippin editing and processing took nearly as long as it took to turn and finish the bowl!!

Anyway, C&C's welcome.....

I have a couple of Robert Sorby hollowing tools (one straight, the other s shaped) for making those kinds of small vases / boxes, although I often use a forster bit in the chuck to do the bulk of it first to save time :) The hollowing tools I have are actually a bit on the big side for the smaller items like boxes, and I could do with a couple of smaller ones for those.

As far as tool rests go, I also have the Sorby modular tool rest system with a number of rests, including a rectangular flat one for getting into the inside of pieces like that.

• Advertisement

I videoed the second laminated/segmented bowl that I turned during the week. First time recording a work in progress! I'm used to either videoing or turning, but not both together, it was a bit of a challenge to both direct & act :pac:
    Flippin editing and processing took nearly as long as it took to turn and finish the bowl!!

Anyway, C&C's welcome.....

Really lovely work. What was the finish you applied? Great finish off the chisel.

Advertisement