Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

That laser is some setup. Will it read the diameter of the piece itself, and scale appropriately, or do you need to do that yourself?

Considering my last set of photos are relatively well received, I said I'd do a quick update on the bar

Ripping some stock to make trim pieces (mostly just to show off my startrite bandsaw :D)

507535.jpeg

First coat of paint on the frame. I think it makes the counter stand out nicely

507536.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

cletus wrote: »
    That laser is some setup. Will it read the diameter of the piece itself, and scale appropriately, or do you need to do that yourself?

Considering my last set of photos are relatively well received, I said I'd do a quick update on the bar

Ripping some stock to make trim pieces (mostly just to show off my startrite bandsaw :D)

507535.jpeg

First coat of paint on the frame. I think it makes the counter stand out nicely

507536.jpg

You have to scale the photo to suit where your engraving. In the video you'll see the laser move around the outline, you can center the piece to suit the laser.

Ah, I wasn't sure if the initial process on the video was taking a measurement, or setting the edges of the eork

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I finally used some time to do the world's fastest shop tour.
    Not a useful bit of furniture, but it might be worth a grin compared to all the big lads' shop tours on youtube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Sparks wrote: »
    Not a useful bit of furniture, but it might be worth a grin compared to all the big lads' shop tours on youtube :D

And I thought the kids bikes were in the way...

• Advertisement

Thats like an Aladdens cave!! Far far tidier too than mine :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

'Oh sh*t fixer' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Amazing you can do what you do so well in such a small space. Mine is about 10*10 and I complain, I feel like I've a mansion now. great little video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the past 30 posts in this thread were made in the space of a week. the 30 before that, took a month. the 30 before that again, two and a half months.

viva la lockdown, in ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Dont know if this classifies for this thread, but spent the last two weekends insulating the workshop. Slow enough progress on your own, especially trying to work the roof sheets. Definitely a noticeable difference in the temperature since it has been completed, the chill is gone!!!:D:D

lOvJuma.jpg

mClbXqf.jpg?1

bDoGLXY.jpg

rYaWHHk.jpg

OqDMOin.jpg

EBMGLhB.jpg

• Advertisement

I was going to say I'd give my left testicle for a workspace like that, but I've got two boys now, so I'd give both testicles...

My "workshed" (stretching the term) is an 8"X6" barna shed. It's even more crammed than than Sparks' workspace above. I'd be embarrassed to even show the inside of it

I was going to say I'd give my left testicle for a workspace like that, but I've got two boys now, so I'd give both testicles...

My "workshed" (stretching the term) is an 8"X6" barna shed. It's even more crammed than than Sparks' workspace above. I'd be embarrassed to even show the inside of it

Haha it’s a good size, I’m going to use about 2/3 of it for woodworking, with the rest for garden crap. Next on the list is a bit of mitre station along the long wall and some storage.

This thread has really highlighted the brilliant use of spaces people work with. I won’t go as soppy as saying inspiring but it does motivate you to stop looking for faults with what you have and just get on with what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Love the "sarlacc pit" - brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

If you can try to get same air seal tape (Like Siga Fentrim) and seal all the junctions between windows and timber and all the other gaps to eliminate the draft. You will see a huge difference when trying to heat up the space.

Hey Sparks does Boards support the ability to pull out a series of posts from one thread as a new thread? - it'll be cool to kick off a "My 'WIP' Workshop" type thread from this whole set of posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it does, has to be done by a mod though.

bamayang wrote: »
    Haha it’s a good size, I’m going to use about 2/3 of it for woodworking, with the rest for garden crap. Next on the list is a bit of mitre station along the long wall and some storage.

This thread has really highlighted the brilliant use of spaces people work with. I won’t go as soppy as saying inspiring but it does motivate you to stop looking for faults with what you have and just get on with what you have.

You might have already seen it, but there's a channel on youtube, the 8x6 workshop. Some genius ideas there on space saving. He also has a lot of build video's, though I havn't seen anything from him lately.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8SLw_zYEappZL5rROwvZ1w

mayo.mick wrote: »
    You might have already seen it, but there's a channel on youtube, the 8x6 workshop. Some genius ideas there on space saving. He also has a lot of build video's, though I havn't seen anything from him lately.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8SLw_zYEappZL5rROwvZ1w

That's cool - his intro is straight from the Frank Howarth school of workshop stop frame animation. What a great space.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, I've seen some of his builds. I envy him his focus - half my problem is constantly wanting to try new things, which is the exact opposite of what you need to do to readily make the most of a small space :D

That fellas cheating. Sure of course you can have a lovely neat little shed of you're only going to have your woodworking gear in there, but where's the stuff for working on his car?
    Where's his welding gear?
    Where are the bits of the bike he's working on at the moment?
    Where are the projects he started but never finished?
    Where are all the things that he doesn't use, but hasn't thrown out, because "you'd never know when you need it"?

Right, I'll do a video, and then you'll see what a real 8x6 shed looks like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

That's cool - his intro is straight from the Frank Howarth school of workshop stop frame animation. What a great space.

Frank Howarth's videos are brilliant. ViTTEN is well worth a look-he does some amazing stuff, I got a few great tips from his videos.

I was watching a Pask Makes video today and it just dawned on me the quality and standard of videos people put out daily for almost free on YouTube is just unreal. It’s almost at TV levels of production in editing/sound/picture and it’s all their for nothing. I’d say I easily watch YouTube about 5 times more than TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

I am hoping to extend my work space a little as it has got so tight in my garage space now with wide shelves for wood etc. Sadly getting the job done now will be virtually impossible given all the restrictions that this pandemic has created.

But I'm not complaining, just happy me and all my family are safe and well still. Small mercies.

I have made a few small things over the past few months but it had just been too cold outside (my one car garage) to even think about spending a half day out there (without any heating at all). Here's a few things I made. Hope they are of some interest to the group.

A cribbage board I made for my Dad using oak barrel stave and cross inlay of walnut strips
    66293657_2120111448282233_4732180677376606208_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=ehhUt3w3x9sAX8To2BE&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=66034fffb1c8cd23ffd0129936bf985d&oe=5EA96A71

A barrel stave table lamp
    62131881_2098509263775785_4473250297535266816_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=753ewC7WQ2kAX89pq_3&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=c2986ab5429f89f4ea7470a0dd990282&oe=5EABDCC0

A barrel stave tealight candle holder
    61599675_2092802101013168_2991812757411594240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=Dp7w1T7jPioAX8_6HyZ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=00b31ae16f87575ed3a42292c502377f&oe=5EAB4DB9

bamayang wrote: »
    I was watching a Pask Makes video today and it just dawned on me the quality and standard of videos people put out daily for almost free on YouTube is just unreal. It’s almost at TV levels of production in editing/sound/picture and it’s all their for nothing. I’d say I easily watch YouTube about 5 times more than TV.

Neil Paskin is an amazing engineer and woodworker - I love his channel. Some of his "scrap wood challenge" videos are astounding. He's also very lucky in location - his workshop is next door to a commercial place that makes huge quantities of cutting boards and he has an endless supply of scrap Camphor Wood to take from whenever he needs some - lucky man!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Running out of ply at this stage, knocked together a bookshelf to go where a toilet door used to be.

it does, has to be done by a mod though.

Cletus started one from fresh anyway - would be nice to include Sparks post in it.

The Duk wrote: »
    Running out of ply at this stage, knocked together a bookshelf to go where a toilet door used to be.

Does it make using the toilet a bit awkward 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Does it make using the toilet a bit awkward 😂

Doh! Walked into that one 😉

So, while not exactly a woodcraft project, this will help with woodcrafting.

For those few of you who were subjected to photos of my shed, you might have noticed I have a couple of machinist bench vices, but no woodworking vice.

I'm making up a set of soft jaws for one of the no. 4 vices (and possibly the no.1 as well) to hold material that would otherwise be damaged

508246.jpg

• Advertisement

Progress continuing slowly but surely on the loft bed. Got nothing done yesterday because I was outside all day reducing a mountain of cut branches to firewood.

I spent today oiling the frame and applied the second or perhaps third last coat of finish to the back panels - it was meant to be the last but they just aren't quite there yet. OSB can look great in furniture but dear god it drinks finish .. the side panels took 750ml of varnish and 500ml of Danish Oil between them, they're like polished glass now and feel soft/warm to the touch.

Next up is an apron/lipping along the front to prettify the slat ends and then the ladder.

Thankfully we don't use our dining room often because it has been in there for weeks more than it was meant to at this stage!

Advertisement