Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm trying to get a bit of time in the workshop. Its seldom I get to make a piece for our monthly chapter challenge. Got a few hours in over the weekend and got a piece done for this months challenge, a ceiling rose.

I'd a bit of a battle with this piece, was pretty out of balance. 12" x 2" spalted Beech.

ESwL_ecXYAEaAbO?format=jpg&name=small

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a gorgeous piece of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a bit of time in the workshop. Its seldom I get to make a piece for our monthly chapter challenge. Got a few hours in over the weekend and got a piece done for this months challenge, a ceiling rose.

I'd a bit of a battle with this piece, was pretty out of balance. 12" x 2" spalted Beech.

That's class - lovely work - I'm a big fan of spalted beech, we've got a couple of 8 foot spalted beech slab steps in our living room and I salvaged too 36"x18"x2" spalted beech kitchen dresser tops a few years ago that are going to end up as coffee tables, that's if I ever actually finish the bed I'm chipping away at .

Speaking of which here's the dry fit in progress:

505252.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Haven't been up to much fun stuff recently as I had to do actual home improvments:pac:
    I made this cause the missus was looking online for drawer dividers. It's made from one sheet of laminate flooring I had lying in the shed. Its adjustable and you can take out sections if you need too.
    20200315_134204.jpg

ESwL_ecXYAEaAbO?format=jpg&name=small

Won 1st on Thursday night for my piece! Chuffed :D

Been decided to postpone future chapter meetings for the time being too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Won 1st on Thursday night for my piece! Chuffed :D

Been decided to postpone future chapter meetings for the time being too.
    Ours too. The age profile in a lot of chapters veers towards people of a more mature disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

I’ve been working on a test run end table ahead of building one in walnut. This is sapele stair threads from a strahans off cut bundle and some left over pine from making my bench. Learned a lot along the way. Won’t have the through tenons and will probably add runners/stretchers in a square (what’s the right term?) to stiffen legs and support table top...

Edit - struggling with images sorry...

31SUDb5xZSCmN1Pq9

i think my shed will need to be decontaminated. helped cut down a diseased cherry in my neighbour's front garden nine days ago (when i say helped, someone who knew what they were doing did the felling).
    started to rough turn some of it a couple of nights ago, and good god, it's wet. too wet yet to even slather the end grain with PVA. there's a good bit of punky wood in it, but if these hold together - and there's a 70% chance they won't - i could get some nice pieces out of it.

506750.jpg

506751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Got some white oak last week and built a pair of bedside lockers:

hmf6T6El.jpg

QbqSv5wl.jpg

XfuuoYdl.jpg

I glued some oak to the tops to cover the plywood ends and rounded over with the router.
    1FYQYqPl.jpg

I started with the legs first, I wanted to taper the legs on the inside but I don't have a table saw and it was too much fluting about with a track saw; angles I cut at 34°.
    3E1q92sl.jpg

C7LDU58l.jpg

wTvJ2nol.jpg

For the drawer fronts, I used a round-over bit on the outer faces.
    0QETNy9l.jpg

I used 10 & 6mm birch ply for the drawers:
    rRdZDJ4l.jpg

The radius of the round-over on the top and bottom panels is 9.5, using a round-over bit again, plenty of practice with the router on this one...
    1DYexXll.jpg

Used a rabbet bit for the 6mm plywood back.
    JAIiFA8l.jpg

Sanded to 320 grit, used clear matt osmo oil for a finish and all done. The drawer runners and aluminium knobs I got from Hafele.

Amazing how fast you can get through stuff when stuck at home, need to find something else to build now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's beautiful work glynf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

They are beautiful pieces all right.

I've been following this thread on and off. Not sure if its really the place for some of the projects I'm working on, they're much more rough and ready than most of what's here, but I figured I'd throw them up, and let the internetz decide

Steel frame for a side table (there will be timber set into the frame on both sides, and across the top, just not sure what yet. Will probably add a drawer too)

506994.jpg

Pallet bar, obviously not finished yet

506995.jpg

And just to show not everything is rough and ready...

506996.jpg

506997.jpg

Some great stuff in there - and all of it in keeping with this thread IMO!

Like the bar! I love the versatility of pallets, I've built everything from a nicely finished, tiny little chest to a feckin' bombproof workbench that doubles as a cat house from pallets. They're great - well, except for the time I missed a nail.. and then put the board through my thicknesser :( .. then I bought a metal detector!

Love the bedside lockers above and the chess board. The pallet bar is a great idea.

In toying with the idea of making an outdoor kitchen at the moment. I've always wanted to do it.

Right now I'm fixing up the greenhouse and building some staging for inside and a pallet freestanding strawberry planter.
    P.s if you want a good quality pallet try get your hands on an Irish cement one they are strong and heavy.

Some great stuff in there - and all of it in keeping with this thread IMO!

Like the bar! I love the versatility of pallets, I've built everything from a nicely finished, tiny little chest to a feckin' bombproof workbench that doubles as a cat house from pallets. They're great - well, except for the time I missed a nail.. and then put the board through my thicknesser :( .. then I bought a metal detector!
    Have you a pic of the cat work bench? Only thing I hate about pallets is taking them apart, they can be stubborn:pac:

iamtony wrote: »
    Have you a pic of the cat work bench? Only thing I hate about pallets is taking them apart, they can be stubborn:pac:

Here you go! https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog//2018/10/pallet-wood-kitty-condo-for-two-cats.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

Enjoyed looking through your blog, some great ideas in there.

Pain in the arse when you put a nail through the thicknesser. Happened recently to the one in the woodwork room in school. Kids don't care so much

It's actually something I'd love to have at home, as it's much preferable to loading the boot up with boards, dragging them into work, then dragging them home.

Unfortunately, the words "thicknesser" and "cheap" don't seem the crop up together on Google...

cletus wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the words "thicknesser" and "cheap" don't seem the crop up together on Google...

I've spun up a new thread for that- it's an interesting topic :)

For cleaning up pallet wood, a good old cheapo belt sander (Parkside for the win) with 40->60->80 grit progression does the job nicely too!

or you can take the lazy option with pallet wood, should you wish - have a go at it with a blowtorch and scrub the char off with a nailbrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

glynf wrote: »
    ...The drawer runners and aluminium knobs I got from Hafele.

Really excellent work Glynf!

How do you find these guys for price and quality versus companies on Amazon? I've been looking for a reliable source in Ireland but hadn't come across Hafele before.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Really excellent work Glynf!

How do you find these guys for price and quality versus companies on Amazon? I've been looking for a reliable source in Ireland but hadn't come across Hafele before.

Thanks

Thanks. I find they are good to deal with, pricing is reasonable as well-think the four sets of 250mm ball bearing drawer runners & four knobs worked out at <€20. Theirhave a place in Kilcoole is not too far from me and just off the N11, which is handy. They have a huge range, great for any kind of hinge fittings, drawer runners etc.

They do a lot of kitchen fittings, I also bought some per-assembled drawer units for floating drawers I built for our spare room. They worked out at about 30-35 a unit and came with runners and mounting lugs-all I had to do was mount the bamboo ply I used for the wardrobes/Murphy bed to the front. Brilliant piece of kit, saved me a lot of work-especially bloody painting:)

bbKeot6l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Thanks. I find they are good to deal with, pricing is reasonable as well-think the four sets of 250mm ball bearing drawer runners & four knobs worked out at <€20.[/IMG]

Cheers ;)

I've just tried to set up an account. They prob won't contact me as it's Saturday (although maybe they'll be fully closed now due to COVID-19.. :confused:).

Also, where do you get your oak from? I've been using flooring to date for a lot of stuff as I have a guy that can get me bits from time to time.

Theirhave a place in Kilcoole is not too far from me and just off the N11, which is handy. They have a huge range, great for any kind of hinge fittings, drawer runners etc.

They do a lot of kitchen fittings, I also bought some per-assembled drawer units for floating drawers I built for our spare room. They worked out at about 30-35 a unit and came with runners and mounting lugs-all I had to do was mount the bamboo ply I used for the wardrobes/Murphy bed to the front. Brilliant piece of kit, saved me a lot of work-especially bloody painting:)

Thanks that's also really useful for me (I'm reasonably nearby too). I knew about them but thought they were trade only - thank you!

Cheers ;)

I've just tried to set up an account. They prob won't contact me as it's Saturday (although maybe they'll be fully closed now due to COVID-19.. :confused:).

Also, where do you get your oak from? I've been using flooring to date for a lot of stuff as I have a guy that can get me bits from time to time.

Yea, I'd say well closed at this stage; they do have a trade counter, though I tend to get stuff there during the week only.

I got the Oak from Strahan's in Rathcoole.

I got a small neje laser engraver about a year ago for doing some engraving on some of my pens. I only got the rotary jig working right the other day. Pretty happy with the results so far.

I got a small neje laser engraver about a year ago for doing some engraving on some of my pens. I only got the rotary jig working right the other day. Pretty happy with the results so far.

there seemed to have been double tags on your youtube video which confused boards - i think i've removed them in this reply?

Brilliant. I'd say alot of work went into getting that jig set up perfectly.

Excellent! - I want to get a laser engraver that can sit directly directly onto the workpiece for engraving onto large and panel workpieces so I'd be really interested to know which model of the Neje you got, and how you've found it so far, ease of set up etc. PS - just got yourself a new YouTube subscriber!

Excellent! - I want to get a laser engraver that can sit directly directly onto the workpiece for engraving onto large and panel workpieces so I'd be really interested to know which model of the Neje you got, and how you've found it so far, ease of set up etc. PS - just got yourself a new YouTube subscriber!

The one I have is the neje 1500, its a bit small but fine for pens. Max it can do is 42mm x 42mm. I do up my logos on 30mm discs.

I'm thinking of getting the bigger one the neje master, it will engrave 6" square but you can fit bigger pieces under it. After doing a bit of research though, I'm more inclined now to go for the oture 3500 15w laser. Seems to be the best out there. Only place I can get it though (no one will ship from America), is on gearbest. I've never delt with them before some I'm holding back a bit to read up a bit more on them.

EUSDEPgWAAIGbe2?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    Brilliant. I'd say alot of work went into getting that jig set up perfectly.

It took me a couple of attempts (and a few ribs of hair :pac: ) to get it working right. If there's too much tension on the elastic band, the table won't be able to move. The bushing I made up has to be near enough the same diameter of the pen, otherwise the engraving will be stretched or else smushed up. If I turn a bigger/wider pen, I'll have to make up a bushing to suit, I think I turned it out of Walnut.

Advertisement