Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

They table is beautiful. Only issue I'd have is it's very similar to the colour of the floor and I'd probably walk into it and wreck my shins after a few beers:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

2020-02-16-14.27.43a.jpg

Slightly larger than normal sawhorse with birch laminated 3"x2" legs, pine footing, poplar 2"x4" crossbar and 1" thick oak top put on top of the crossbar.

2020-02-16-14.47.25a.jpg

And now I have a lathe stand :)

2020-02-16-17.53.46a.jpg

First chips. And now I have an oak dowel (because I didn't have any other smart ideas for something to do and I really just wanted to gauge where the chips were going to go and what the vibration was like).

2020-02-16-17.53.29a.jpg

And for the next week or so, my main goal in the shed will be to somehow tidy all this stuff.... somewhere. Not sure where, exactly....

2020-02-16-14.27.53a.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one comment on the positioning of your lathe - i would often find myself standing at the end if working on a deep bowl or doing some hollowing.
    doesn't seem like you've much spare space but you may find not being able to stand further to the right, or at the end of the lathe, limiting.

True, but if I put it across the other wall, it'll block the door, and if I can't step outside the shed, I won't have room to change my mind :D
    Having to cut my cloth according to my measure at the moment I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Sparks wrote: »
    True, but if I put it across the other wall, it'll block the door, and if I can't step outside the shed, I won't have room to change my mind :D

I must say though, Sparks, I’m impressed with the space yer using.

• Advertisement

How about a wheelie bin outside the shed to put the offcuts and short boards into?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

+1 - sometimes we've got to compromise! .. I have the older version of the same lathe and a similar footprint stand, which I just drag out a bit further into the floor when I need to work around it.

Interested to see the PBD40 on your bench, I've been considering one but hesitating with the mixed reviews about quill tolerance; how has your experience been with it? (if you prefer; spin off a separate thread or PM so that we don't send the "currently" thread off on a tangent! :D )

JayZeus wrote: »
    How about a wheelie bin outside the shed to put the offcuts and short boards into?

BTW, not being a smart arse. A spare wheelie bin is fierce handy for a bit of weatherproof storage!

JayZeus wrote: »
    BTW, not being a smart arse. A spare wheelie bin is fierce handy for a bit of weatherproof storage!

It's an interesting idea but for the wood that's eating most of the room it'd have to be taller and for the shorter stuff, it's not wide enough. I have a garden box we stuffed the mower and other bits into when I converted the shed from a place where we stored rust and spiders and half-full tins of paint into what it is now (slightly fewer tins of paint). I'll move some of the larger containers of BLO and the like in there and just keep a few of those squeezy condiment bottles in the shed with the stuff I'd use and I can refill as needed.

I do wonder about getting a second garden box though, that would be nice for storage of wood, it certainly wouldn't be any less dry than the shed. Not that much more expensive either if you get the front-opening ones, and actually cheaper for some of the simple box ones.

Interested to see the PBD40 on your bench, I've been considering one but hesitating with the mixed reviews about quill tolerance; how has your experience been with it? (if you prefer; spin off a separate thread or PM so that we don't send the "currently" thread off on a tangent! :D )

I've not used it much so far, less than 20 holes so far, haven't had much of a problem with it but haven't pushed it hard enough to notice any. Sorry :D
    Better than doing it with a hand drill -- but I wouldn't use it for anything that needed a tilted table or that would put sideways pressure on the quill, like sanding bobbins. There doesn't seem to be a ready way other than custom jigs to get a tilted table in there (maybe one of those cheap rutlands tilting vises?) and it doesn't seem to be built tough enough to take a lot of lateral pressure.

• Advertisement

I've not used it much so far, less than 20 holes so far, haven't had much of a problem with it but haven't pushed it hard enough to notice any. Sorry :D
    Better than doing it with a hand drill -- but I wouldn't use it for anything that needed a tilted table or that would put sideways pressure on the quill, like sanding bobbins. There doesn't seem to be a ready way other than custom jigs to get a tilted table in there (maybe one of those cheap rutlands tilting vises?) and it doesn't seem to be built tough enough to take a lot of lateral pressure.

Thanks Sparks - at this stage anything will be better than my Parkside drill press, which wanders all over the place on the most basic of holes, it ruined a couple of 15mm Forstner countersinks this afternoon. I like the idea of getting away from having to change belts for speed changes (because I'm lazy tbh). Another option I've been considering is a Wabeco stand with a variable speed corded drill, they have a great reputation for being solidly engineered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just don't do what i did, and absent mindedly grab a piece of wood you're trying to run a forstner bit into with a hand drill, only for it to scoot off into your thumb.
    i got off lightly, to be fair, it hit my thumbnail first and kicked my thumb out of the way slightly so it didn't do nearly as much damage as it might otherwise have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

OUCH!!!!!!

Ouch indeed, close call! - I try to avoid hand drill Forstnering (new word!) as much as possible for that reason!

Here's what I'm working on currently, gigantic loft bed build continuing very slowly because I'm only getting to do a couple of hours a week at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I do wonder about getting a second garden box though, that would be nice for storage of wood, it certainly wouldn't be any less dry than the shed. Not that much more expensive either if you get the front-opening ones, and actually cheaper for some of the simple box ones.

Go on - you know you really a second shed :) In fact, you can never have enough sheds!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

503664.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

a pair of wall shelves in elm and mahogany for my growing kilkenny design workshop collection

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

The Duk wrote: »
    Currently working on a new desk, using 18mm birch ply. The top is 2 panels glued together. The bottom panel is inset by 10mm. Its my first project to really use my palm router for rounding corners and i even managed to round over the edges. I still gotta learn how to avoid burn marks, slow speed quick movement?

Im thinking of using liberon medium oak wood dye (water based) to stain it so it fits the room. Any advice on a finishing coat that will stand up to wear?

Just finished my desk, staining birch ply is a pain ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

hwcgV0h.jpg

Finished the coffee table. Stole it off the wifes instagram, hence the filter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I find it harder and harder to get time in the workshop (being a full time carer). Started sometime before Christmas, took it off the lathe to do something else and forgot about it. Only finished it last week. English Yew with a roses pewter lid.

ERtMjG6XYAENhZ4?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Made some wall units to match my coffee table. I hung them with french cleats, and finished them in osmo.

IGOUJVil.jpg
    DtEomx4l.jpg
    3y7oWGPl.jpg
    fJbroexl.jpg
    bRN1LOKl.jpg
    jQSPK1Wl.jpg
    bdxMibWl.jpg

Made a chopping board out of some of the off cuts, no way I was throwing this wood in the fire :)

21GRNDEl.jpg

glynf wrote: »
    Made some wall units to match my coffee table. I hung them with french cleats, and finished them in osmo.

Lovely work!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

@glynf Lovely bit of work, lovely timber too... where'd you get the timber from, was it dear? what is it called?
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

@glynf Lovely bit of work, lovely timber too... where'd you get the timber from, was it dear? what is it called?
    tim

Thanks, it's PAO walnut, 210 x 20mm, 2.4 meter lengths, bought from Strathans in Rathcoole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

As great as alot of stuff is on this thread, theres not much I'd actually have in my sitting room and this is one item I would have. Beautiful, well done;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Daddy built a bed for his princess ::):):)

10093_dsc_0024.jpg

10093_dsc_0027.jpg

10093_dsc_0028.jpg

10093_20200307_183917.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's class brane.nikic87.

Out of curiosity, what sort of timber did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Is is a 18mm WBP plywood and pine for square legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm trying to get a bit of time in the workshop. Its seldom I get to make a piece for our monthly chapter challenge. Got a few hours in over the weekend and got a piece done for this months challenge, a ceiling rose.

I'd a bit of a battle with this piece, was pretty out of balance. 12" x 2" spalted Beech.

ESwL_ecXYAEaAbO?format=jpg&name=small

Advertisement