Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

guile4582 wrote: »
    this morning was pathetic. they were going on about Bowie's passing this time last year like it was 9/11 - where were you etc.

it would be interesting if anyone could statiscally show how much bowie they played in the 12 months previous, especially on the morning show (who are now all of sudden huge Bowie experts)

rant over..it's so fake and so forced

why do I listen? because in the car in the morning in between all the hipster bs it actually does play more music that the others.

I have to say I happened to tune into Nova this morning during the 8am news and I heard the three songs by David Bowie afterwards, They were Life On Mars, Five Years (from the Ziggy Stardust album - never heard that song on the radio before) and the wonderfully sublime (in my opinion!) This is Not America (with The Pat Methany Band). I enjoyed those songs.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    If you want to avoid the 'hipster bs' (it's more 'forced bantz' than anything tbh) I highly recommend Dublin City LiveDrive.
    Uptodate essential traffic reports, and quality tunes!
    See some of the playlists below:

http://amlivedrive.blogspot.ie/

Monday to Friday 7 - 10am on 103.2 Dublin City FM

Evening slot also:

http://pmlivedrive.blogspot.ie/
    Monday to Friday 4 - 7pm on 103.2 Dublin City FM

Then, I tuned into Dublin City FM's Livedrive and I timed it well. Just after the traffic report, Pam Duggan played a German version of Bowie's Heroes - Helden by Apocalyptica featuring Till Lindemann. That was enjoyable too. This is something that you would not be likely to hear on Nova:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhq9n8gq4-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If you want to avoid the 'hipster bs' (it's more 'forced bantz' than anything tbh) I highly recommend Dublin City LiveDrive.
    Uptodate essential traffic reports, and quality tunes!
    See some of the playlists below:

http://amlivedrive.blogspot.ie/

Monday to Friday 7 - 10am on 103.2 Dublin City FM

Evening slot also:

http://pmlivedrive.blogspot.ie/
    Monday to Friday 4 - 7pm on 103.2 Dublin City FM

tried listening to this last night - had diddle di eye music on
    and this morning - man that traffic report is intense!!! and serious lack of music

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Expunge wrote: »
    Mr. Brannigan of Nova says you people on Boards are all out to get them....

http://radiotoday.ie/2017/01/radio-nova-losses-climb-to-over-e5-million/

Take a look at the comments section and you'll come across this little whine from Mr. Brannigan:

"Fora is run by the same company that owns Boards.ie, who have a long-running vendetta against Nova, as can be seen, in part, by the vitriol their moderators allow to be posted about us by certain individuals on a daily basis."

One way of taking the focus off the story, the latest set of accounts show losses of €5m and the 2016 results will not be available until probably October 2017 - that 5m has been lost so far is the story and that will be hard to recoup with the remaining licence term.

Novas losses highlight IMO the fundamental flaws in the BAI licence requirements - if what is seen as a successful station is struggling financially what hope for other stations (TX is gone - who is next ?).

A rethink is needed for the likes of Nova/Sunshine etc to survive but its unlikely to happen while the bigger stations exert their influence on the BAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

IMO theres far too many stations ,playing the same sh1te..Theres room for a rock station but Nova doesnt cut it for me....and now theyre trying to fill in for TXFM and failing..the regular Nova listeners want AC/DC...not Bastille.....

IMO theres far too many stations ,playing the same sh1te..Theres room for a rock station but Nova doesnt cut it for me....and now theyre trying to fill in for TXFM and failing..the regular Nova listeners want AC/DC...not Bastille.....

Listen to KK Classics on Tune In.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If KB actually read this thread (without angry glasses on) he'd see that people do like Nova but are not happy with the way it's going. Less soft crappy Pop Rock and more Classic Rock. Less fun banter and more DJs like Clarke and James.

So KB, if you are reading this, please understand that most of the people listening to your station are actually music fans and would love for the station to grow and prosper.

FanadMan wrote: »
    If KB actually read this thread (without angry glasses on) he'd see that people do like Nova but are not happy with the way it's going. Less soft crappy Pop Rock and more Classic Rock. Less fun banter and more DJs like Clarke and James.

So KB, if you are reading this, please understand that most of the people listening to your station are actually music fans and would love for the station to grow and prosper.

I'd like to see him log in and explain some of the points raised here....despite what I type here I don't hate Nova...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭prunudo

They're all variations of themselves. Sure when Nova came on scene, Today Fm started playing more classic rock to try to stop loosing listeners.
    Now Nova are trying to keep listener by playing more generic Today fm music.
    Like you say, I dont hate Nova either, it can be irritating sometimes but generally I do like listening to it.
    A bit of tweaking and sticking to what it is and it could be great. Ditch the likes of Bastille, MGMT and Florence and the machine, but I can't see it happening as they need the ad revenue, so need to have a broad spectrum of music to keep the listenership high.

this is what we call a "try hard"

Hello, I’m Marty Miller and FOREVER I’ve LOVED classic rock..

I’m friends with Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy, Robbie Kreiger of the doors, Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, Nils Lofgren of Bruce Springsteen’s E Street band – enough names dropped yet? OK – so its a small exaggeration to say “friends with” but I have hung out and chatted with the aforementioned!!

I’m a HUGE Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher (NEVER ONCE HEARD RORY ON MORNING GLORY OR NOVA FOR THAT MATTER) fan and I’m also a huge radio fan.
    [/B]
    Radio and me baby… (AND NOW IT'S ME ME ME, IT'S ALL A BIT CHILDISH COMPARED TO OTHER BIOS ON THE WEBSITE)

I’ve been on the radio in Ireland since I was 16 years of age, starting at Beaumont hospital radio and getting as far and as big as you can get in the independent radio sector: 100-102 Today FM.

Along the way I’ve worked at some of Ireland’s biggest local stations like 98FM, Q102, FM104, South East Radio, Spin 1038.

I’m the only presenter in Ireland to bring Classic Rock to a national level over the last number of years on Today FM. Concept creator, producer and presenter of the award winning “Dad Rock” – Sunday Nights.

Throughout the years I’ve won over 15 radio awards.

Now look at Greg's

Greg Gaughran is a veteran of the radio business and can actually remember the Nova of the 80′s , as he was there!

Greg has worked in the original Nova, Q102, (the 80′s version!), East Coast FM, Country Mix, in the UK, and in the very beginning of 98fm.

Greg likes listening to music(!), Motorsports, cooking, and is partial to a nice glass of vino… (or two!). He has two daughters and lives in Wicklow.

Mornings with Greg Gaughran airs weekdays from 10am to 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Marty Miller and yer man Pat Courtney are the very reason I never listen to it. Can't be arsed switching over when they're not on.

• Advertisement

guile4582 wrote: »
    this is what we call a "try hard"

Hello, I’m Marty Miller and FOREVER I’ve LOVED classic rock..

I’m friends with Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy, Robbie Kreiger of the doors, Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, Nils Lofgren of Bruce Springsteen’s E Street band – enough names dropped yet? OK – so its a small exaggeration to say “friends with” but I have hung out and chatted with the aforementioned!!

I’m a HUGE Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher (NEVER ONCE HEARD RORY ON MORNING GLORY OR NOVA FOR THAT MATTER) fan and I’m also a huge radio fan.
    [/B]
    Radio and me baby… (AND NOW IT'S ME ME ME, IT'S ALL A BIT CHILDISH COMPARED TO OTHER BIOS ON THE WEBSITE)

I’ve been on the radio in Ireland since I was 16 years of age, starting at Beaumont hospital radio and getting as far and as big as you can get in the independent radio sector: 100-102 Today FM.

Along the way I’ve worked at some of Ireland’s biggest local stations like 98FM, Q102, FM104, South East Radio, Spin 1038.

I’m the only presenter in Ireland to bring Classic Rock to a national level over the last number of years on Today FM. Concept creator, producer and presenter of the award winning “Dad Rock” – Sunday Nights.

Throughout the years I’ve won over 15 radio awards.

Now look at Greg's

Greg Gaughran is a veteran of the radio business and can actually remember the Nova of the 80′s , as he was there!

Greg has worked in the original Nova, Q102, (the 80′s version!), East Coast FM, Country Mix, in the UK, and in the very beginning of 98fm.

Greg likes listening to music(!), Motorsports, cooking, and is partial to a nice glass of vino… (or two!). He has two daughters and lives in Wicklow.

Mornings with Greg Gaughran airs weekdays from 10am to 2pm.

Do Pat James.......:).........LEGEND

Miller's already go in on about U2 too much.......didn't take him long to get over the new baby....!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Miller's already go in on about U2 too much.......didn't take him long to get over the new baby....!

There's enough Ufeckin2 without reminding them :D God only knows what it'll be like on Monday when the tickets go on sale - will prob be Bonio wall-to-wall :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

But this thread doesn't get posted in on a daily basis? :confused:

It's also probably the least vitriolic thread in this forum. He should see what they think of Joe Duffy.

It may not be posted on a daily basis but I agree with sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

Infoanon wrote: »
    One way of taking the focus off the story, the latest set of accounts show losses of €5m and the 2016 results will not be available until probably October 2017 - that 5m has been lost so far is the story and that will be hard to recoup with the remaining licence term.

Novas losses highlight IMO the fundamental flaws in the BAI licence requirements - if what is seen as a successful station is struggling financially what hope for other stations (TX is gone - who is next ?).

A rethink is needed for the likes of Nova/Sunshine etc to survive but its unlikely to happen while the bigger stations exert their influence on the BAI.

I think the figure of €5m loss is an accumulated figure and as to why is an issue for the shareholders . As fas as I can see there is no suggestion that the company is not trading successfully and therefore there is no BAI issue . Agreeing about music policy or otherwise of Nova is a different issue

As for earlier posts, yes I'd have to agree with views of CEO , it seems to be open season on Nova with no moderation. And I recall that when Nova launched a temp licence about 1 1/2 years ago, some pretty nasty stuff was posted in the radio forum with no suggestion of an intervention by a mod . And no, I'm not Kevin Branigan

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

This "picking on Nova" fallacy needs to stop now. It is absolute nonsense.

Brannigan is one of the biggest anoraks in the industry and it wouldnt surprise me if he's bumping this thread back to page 1 of this forum to feed his own ego. Hell, he should be happy people are even talking about his station! When was the last time FM104 and similar sized stations were talked about so much on here?

The problem with Brannigan is he cant handle criticism on any level. He has burned so many bridges over the years and has a "chancer" reputation in the Irish radio industry and now it's coming back to bite him.

I'm listen more often during the day now and i'm finding it hard to count the amount of ad breaks..not just genuine adverts but those self -indulgent ones promoting the station..it seems theyre on after every track making that "30 minute ad free" a joke...more music please:mad:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

As for earlier posts, yes I'd have to agree with views of CEO , it seems to be open season on Nova with no moderation. And I recall that when Nova launched a temp licence about 1 1/2 years ago, some pretty nasty stuff was posted in the radio forum with no suggestion of an intervention by a mod . And no, I'm not Kevin Branigan

The moderator team in this forum has changed in the past year and it is no longer the case that threads go unchecked by moderators.

It is most definitely not open season.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

It is most definitely not open season.

And even if it is, so what? It'll be a sad day when non defamatory posts are deleted on here because it hurt a CEO's feelings. In fact it would be the beginning of the end of this forum.

If the station was better run we wouldnt even be here...i could be off whinging about something/someone else.....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If the station was better run we wouldnt even be here...i could be off whinging about something/someone else.....:P

If you were better able to run a radio station you wouldn't be here either :p

• Advertisement

If you were better able to run a radio station you wouldn't be here either :p

:D....I would though..i'd be here thanking all the posters and listeners for their positive comments and loyal support at the stations incredible "rock" music and excellent jox.....:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

I can't understand why Kevin Brannigan is upset about this thread (I'm guessing it's this particular Nova thread that he's referring to?)
    I think a lot of us are pretty regular listeners and want to see the station succeed. However, as listeners, it's only natural to discuss the station's shortcomings and suggest means of improvement. If that's what passes as vitriolic, then we truly are living in the age of Generation Snowflake.

I can't understand why Kevin Brannigan is upset about this thread (I'm guessing it's this particular Nova thread that he's referring to?)
    I think a lot of us are pretty regular listeners and want to see the station succeed. However, as listeners, it's only natural to discuss the station's shortcomings and suggest means of improvement. If that's what passes as vitriolic, then we truly are living in the age of Generation Snowflake.

Some people just cant take critisism, ..what would we know, sure we're only the listeners..(read: his bread and butter)...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

Some people just cant take critisism, ..what would we know, sure we're only the listeners..(read: his bread and butter)...:)

What percentage of the listening audience are you? 10-15 people on an internet message board that most people have no idea about? Maybe .00000000001%?

What percentage of the listening audience are you? 10-15 people on an internet message board that most people have no idea about? Maybe .00000000001%?

Another blow in....:rolleyes:

Anyone agree that when Miller and Courtenay aren't on ..it's a better station to listen to.....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

Anyone agree that when Miller and Courtenay aren't on ..it's a better station to listen to.....?

Long time lurker etc etc!

Nova isnt even on my radar of stations to listen to. Even Radio X is diluted from from Xfm was but they are delivering a product to appeal to the widest audience possible. You are obviously a music purist but the constant attacking of what the station brings to the market is not going to change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, yeah, said this the other day...
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Marty Miller and yer man Pat Courtney are the very reason I never listen to it. Can't be arsed switching over when they're not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Radio Nova with Bob Galico. ...classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Radio Nova with Bob Galico. ...classic.

Look at all the presenters with the current Nova who did stints with the old Radio Nova: Greg Gaughren, Ernie Gallagher, Mike Maloney, John Clarke and Colm Hayes. Also, Pat Courtenay was a presenter with Chris Cary's satellite station Radio Nova International in the late 1980s', which was relayed for a spell by another pirate Southside FM. Another '80s superpirate with strong links to Radio Nova was Energy 103 and its presenters included Ernie Gallagher, Pat Courtenay and Colm Hayes (and possibly John Clarke briefly). The following presenters also did stints with Q102, which became one of Radio Nova's, and then Energy 103's, main rivals: Greg Gaughren and Colm Hayes.

Edit: While I am it, I might as well as add a few other Dublin superpirates! Kiss FM was a "sister" station of Radio Nova for its first three years and its presenters included: Mike Maloney, Greg Gaughren and John Clarke. Sunshine Radio (later Sunshine 101) was the other major rival to Radio Nova and Energy 103 and its presenters included, at one stage or another: Greg Gaughren, Pat Courtenay and Ernie Gallagher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

And your point? Did I say something negative?

Advertisement