Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I stand corrected. What's the cut off point for classic though I wonder, or is there one?

In terms of 60s/70s/80s like? No, there is no cutoff. You could release a classic rock song tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

In terms of 60s/70s/80s like? No, there is no cutoff. You could release a classic rock song tomorrow.

Yeah, it's a genre now. The Answer would be considered classic rock. Not a hope of them being played on Nova anytime soon, though!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The answer is classic rock is the unlistenable tripe that old men who rode a motorbike once like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The answer is classic rock is the unlistenable tripe that old men who rode a motorbike once like.

Don't stop believing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ouch..guilty and guilty....:p

You could be right...but Nova is definately NOT catering to this group...i actually cant decide who they are aiming their music at...probably people who like Lizzy but also have a Coldplay album and possibly a couple of Wolf tones too....Theyre the ones that stand around at gigs talking and taking "selfies".."..this is us at Metallica.....and this is us at Beyonce.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

this says you're wrong on both counts..........classic song about a classic motorbike and....... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Or, Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond's probable preferred genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

LEGENDARY BROADCASTER COLM HAYES RETURNS TO RADIO

It’s been a while (well not that long)! Colm Hayes finished on RTÉ 2FM at the end of July and since then the Dublin broadcaster has been missing on radio. He's has been working on numerous projects and has just completed his first novel, a crime fiction thriller.

Now, Colm is set to return to radio, where he will guest present ‘John Clarke’s Biggest Jukebox’ on Radio NOVA for the next 3 Sundays.

One phone call from Dublin’s seriously addictive music station Radio Nova and Colm was dusting down his headphones, he says.

"It was going to take something special for me to return to radio and Nova is that something special", says Colm. "I’m a big fan of the station. The music they play is a cut above anything on any other radio station. John Clarke has given me the codes to his jukebox and the keys to his '65 Chevy so enjoy the ride Dublin”.

Kevin Branigan, Radio Nova’s CEO is delighted that Colm accepted his offer “I’ve long been an admirer of Colm’s presenting style, sense of humour – and, in particular, his audience numbers over the years! We’re delighted that Colm’s coming in to us and we’re looking forward to his return to the Dublin airwaves on Nova!”.

Colm has promised to keep up the great music that’s standard fare for Nova and was spotted earlier today loading up the Jukebox with The Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, David Bowie and The Beatles to name but a few. Colm can be heard on Radio Nova 100.3 from 10am-2pm every Sunday until 1st January, with ‘The Biggest Jukebox’, four hours of great rock and roll classics.

Radio NOVA broadcasts to Dublin, Kildare, Meath & Wicklow on 100.3FM and is available nationally via the Irish Radio Player and the NOVA Smartphone app.

I was saying for a while that Colm Hayes would be a good fit for Radio Nova and look what happens! Seriously though, look at all the presenters involved with Nova who came from the superpirates of the '80s: Colm Hayes, John Clarke, Mike Maloney, Greg Gaughran, Pat Courtenay and filler presenter Ernie Gallagher.

LEGENDARY BROADCASTER COLM HAYES RETURNS TO RADIO

It’s been a while (well not that long)! Colm Hayes finished on RTÉ 2FM at the end of July and since then the Dublin broadcaster has been missing on radio. He's has been working on numerous projects and has just completed his first novel, a crime fiction thriller.

Now, Colm is set to return to radio, where he will guest present ‘John Clarke’s Biggest Jukebox’ on Radio NOVA for the next 3 Sundays.

One phone call from Dublin’s seriously addictive music station Radio Nova and Colm was dusting down his headphones, he says.

"It was going to take something special for me to return to radio and Nova is that something special", says Colm. "I’m a big fan of the station. The music they play is a cut above anything on any other radio station. John Clarke has given me the codes to his jukebox and the keys to his '65 Chevy so enjoy the ride Dublin”.

Kevin Branigan, Radio Nova’s CEO is delighted that Colm accepted his offer “I’ve long been an admirer of Colm’s presenting style, sense of humour – and, in particular, his audience numbers over the years! We’re delighted that Colm’s coming in to us and we’re looking forward to his return to the Dublin airwaves on Nova!”.

Colm has promised to keep up the great music that’s standard fare for Nova and was spotted earlier today loading up the Jukebox with The Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, David Bowie and The Beatles to name but a few. Colm can be heard on Radio Nova 100.3 from 10am-2pm every Sunday until 1st January, with ‘The Biggest Jukebox’, four hours of great rock and roll classics.

Radio NOVA broadcasts to Dublin, Kildare, Meath & Wicklow on 100.3FM and is available nationally via the Irish Radio Player and the NOVA Smartphone app.

I was saying for a while that Colm Hayes would be a good fit for Radio Nova and look what happens! Seriously though, look at all the presenters involved with Nova who came from the superpirates of the '80s: Colm Hayes, John Clarke, Mike Maloney, Greg Gaughran, Pat Courtenay and filler presenter Ernie Gallagher.

Should fit right in...................:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Surely the purpose of John Clarkes show is that it doesn't play the usual Nova playlist? If Colm just puts the Beatles and Lizzy on rotation it will be just more of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Surely the purpose of John Clarkes show is that it doesn't play the usual Nova playlist? If Colm just puts the Beatles and Lizzy on rotation it will be just more of the same.

Thankfully it's only for 3 weeks. John Clarkes show is one of the few pleasures.

I only tune in to GG in the mornings now...so Greg , if youre reading this , you dont need to mention that Frank Beard is the only member of ZZ Top not to have a beard EVERY time you play a the song....I think everyone knows it at this stage....;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭prunudo

Slightly different mix of songs on the jukebox with Colm Hayes so far this morning but still very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

jvan wrote: »
    Slightly different mix of songs on the jukebox with Colm Hayes so far this morning but still very safe.

and the links are way too long - lots of waffling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

I only tune in to GG in the mornings now...so Greg , if youre reading this , you dont need to mention that Frank Beard is the only member of ZZ Top not to have a beard EVERY time you play a the song....I think everyone knows it at this stage....;);)

I love that he does this, I always get a laugh out of it, even the hundredth time.

I love that he does this, I always get a laugh out of it, even the hundredth time.

Maybe he doesnt realise he's doing it.....oldtimers..........:D

ORRRR....maybe its in his script....;)

Maybe he doesnt realise he's doing it.....oldtimers..........:D

ORRRR....maybe its in his script....;)

Either way, I don't mind. ;)

If it is worth saying once, it's worth saying a thousand times. :)

Either way, I don't mind. ;)

If it is worth saying once, it's worth saying a thousand times. :)

Do you know that the drummer from Zee Zee Top ,Frank Beard is the only member of the group NOT to have a beard.X 1000....fact....:p

Do you know that the drummer from Zee Zee Top ,Frank Beard is the only member of the group NOT to have a beard.X 1000....fact....:p

I do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Just to be pedantic...

Do you know that the drummer from ZZ Top, Frank Beard, is the only member of the group NOT to have a beard occasionally. X 1000...fact

• Advertisement

I do now.

..and in case you need a visual reminder....Frank is the one without the beard on the left.....:P

screen-shot-2016-03-27-at-12-31-32.png?w=500&h=270

..and in case you need a visual reminder....Frank is the one without the beard on the left.....:P

screen-shot-2016-03-27-at-12-31-32.png?w=500&h=270

I see he has a moustache and a mullett, has he ever had a beard and is Frank Beard his birth name?

I see he has a moustache and a mullett, has he ever had a beard and is Frank Beard his birth name?

Frank Lee Beard...Like true musicians their appearence changes with the times or styles....he had a beardish growth when i saw him in The Marquee in cork, he looked like grumpy old proggy Rick Wakeman...the mullet was gone though...thankfully...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I noticed that Lisa Gernon is on again this evening. This must be her third week.

Has Jack Hyland been moved out of that slot again....or: Has he been let go, just like the previous occupant of that slot - Sinead Ni Mhordha?

If Jack has been let go and replaced by someone new to the station (Lisa), I don't understand what is going on.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on all of this.

I posted the above back in the middle of October and lo and behold I heard Jack Hyland tonight standing in for Lisa Gernon! I was sure he was gone from Nova. I wonder does Moss Breathnach (his real name) do stuff behind the scenes then - that's the name he uses for his off-mike stuff. Anyway, it's great to hear Jack Hyland on the air again whatever is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

Is anyone else sick of this 'Secret Santa' character yet? His constant innuendo laden references to his 'sack' weren't funny last year and they aren't funny this year. Also, why does 'Santa' talk like a low level drug dealer who you might encounter at a deserted Luas stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Is anyone else sick of this 'Secret Santa' character yet? His constant innuendo laden references to his 'sack' weren't funny last year and they aren't funny this year. Also, why does 'Santa' talk like a low level drug dealer who you might encounter at a deserted Luas stop?

is it yer man from Fair City who was the stand in during the summer? Eric Lalor?

yeah it's pretty tiring. that's Nova's MO it seems

"And which one of Santas prizes would you most like?"

God - just shut up and play some music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    "And which one of Santas prizes would you most like?"

God - just shut up and play some music.

got to say some prizes though!

Yeah - that's true. I'd love that trip to LA on the Dream Liner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

guile4582 wrote: »
    got to say some prizes though!

Yeah, I'll give them that. Although a Dublin radio station brokering a deal with Ethiopian Airlines is very random, I must say.

Advertisement