Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So i heard there that their launching a secret sound competition (very original) but it will only feature on breakfast and drivetime slots.....I wonder why only those two shows need extra marketing....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sickening listening to Pat Rabbitte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

So i heard there that their launching a secret sound competition (very original) but it will only feature on breakfast and drivetime slots.....I wonder why only those two shows need extra marketing....

Is it the sound of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

snubbleste wrote: »
    Sickening listening to Pat Rabbitte.

turned off myself

and i say that as someone thats been waiting with bated breath for the sundays shows to hear the nuttery that'd be unleased on the public at trumps victory.

streaming todayFMs suday show at the mo and its a similar cesspit of establishment twonks rage and smug self righteousness.

slag her off as much as i do at least marion was tolerable to listen to.

on the brightside prez trump seems to have melted pat kennys brain . he's been a blast of insanity all week.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

FFS - I was trying not to be so harsh on Sarah McInerny but she's so amature its untrue. Its like, every thought that pops into her head then must also come out of her mouth, regardless of how inane.

Yesterday, they had someone on about retailing, how to get the best deals, the £££ differential etc. Sarah actually asked her if she should go up to a shop assistant in any of the multinational retails who have their labels with both a € and £ price, and complain to the about the difference.

As if some college student working in River Island has and input or influence on their corporate pricing policy. Shes supposed to be intelligent but yet, this was a question she felt merited airtime, just because "it gets [her] so mad".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sarah actually asked her if she should go up to a shop assistant in any of the multinational retails who have their labels with both a € and £ price, and complain to the about the difference.

You ask the questions on the assumption that all your listeners don't know the answer. If boards.ie is mildly representative of the population, then she was right to ask that question because it often comes up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Anyone catch the full name of the man talking to Sarah just now. Talked a lot of sense and she was unusually quiet for once

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The stand in guy for Kerr is a huge improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

kneemos wrote: »
    The stand in guy for Kerr is a huge improvement.

Yeah I thought that too. The voice alone makes it so much easier on the ears.

Anyone catch the full name of the man talking to Sarah just now. Talked a lot of sense and she was unusually quiet for once

I was trying to track him down as well, and his name (assuming that we are talking about the same person :D ) is Councillor Keith Redmond

https://twitter.com/CllrKRedmond

I havent heard him on anything else before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Did anyone cop yesterday that the news at 4 during the sports show was a recording from a few weeks back. The lead story was about the schools shutting on Monday. Cue a bit of confusion until the final story was about us presidential candidate Hilary Clinton on stage with Beyoncé and Jay Z. Small thing I know but not exactly conducive to moving the dial in future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Realbhoy wrote: »
    Did anyone cop yesterday that the news at 4 during the sports show was a recording from a few weeks back. The lead story was about the schools shutting on Monday. Cue a bit of confusion until the final story was about us presidential candidate Hilary Clinton on stage with Beyoncé and Jay Z. Small thing I know but not exactly conducive to moving the dial in future

Haha...I heard a news story then about a suicide bomber in Kabul who'd blown himself up called Ali Alu Irlandi or whatever name the mad f*cker had. My first thought was how many of these lads have we over there. Even told a pal down the pub last night "did he hear some other Irish fella has blown himself up in Kabul". Oops. Amateur hour is becoming a regular feature in that kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is talking history only an hour long show now? Heard it last night and was over at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Was in the car just now and George had Dr Clara on. He introduced a topic by saying "I'm not qualified to answer this".
    I immediately thought, "that never stopped you before", the passenger with me said out loud, "that never stopped him before" and Dr Ciara replied to him"that never stopped you before George".

It felt like this moment of everyone countrywide thinking the exact same thing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

how the fup can presenters that get things SO wrong act so arrogantly in their programing?

chris and sarah have managed to put me off drive within 5 mins today.

some bleeding feat when theres nothing else on.

At 17:39, Sarah says "It is now 39 minutes to 6"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

This Newstalk reshuffle is wrecking my head, I've been sick this week so I've had a lot of time on my hands to listen to the radio.....I've come to the conclusion that we urgently need to send a search and rescue party out to locate Yates :D

Chris and Ivan were great in the morning, they complimented each other nicely. The current line-up (especially Paul Williams) makes me want to turn the dial to 'Mourning Ireland'. I can't get used to George at Noon, he should go back to evenings until Newstalk find a proper replacement for the Drive slot. I liked the format of the old Newstalk lunchtime slot but I couldn't warm to Jonathan Healy, I think Kieran Cuddihy could do a good job here.

Remember those rumours about Pat Rabbitte embarking on a career in a broadcasting after retiring from politics? I wonder will he ever make an appearance in a radio studio? I've never been a fan of the man and part of me hates the idea of another Minister (who is in receipt of numerous pensions) taking a job that a media graduate could do with ....... but he is intelligent, opinionated, witty and grumpy - just like Yates. Could he work out? Then there is Eamon Dunphy, it's unlikely that he would return to work for Dinny but I reckon I could listen to him and he was good when he presented the Last Word on Today FM.

Unless things change soon, I think I'll be turning the dial. (Pat Kenny & OTB excluded).

Pat Rabbitte??
    You really are unwell this week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

snubbleste wrote: »
    Pat Rabbitte??
    You really are unwell this week. :)
    I must be :D

Do you remember the rumours that were circulating that he was going to take over from George when he retired from The Right Hook?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I suppose they could call the show "the Rabitte on"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why in the name of Jesus do they keeping playing Henry McKean vox pops on OTB?

Henry:" Who do you think will win?"

Unidentified person on the street: "Ireland"

Wow! How unbelievably worthwhile!

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Completely agree. I was thinking the same when I was listening to it today. What is he doing on a serious sports show? He's like Newstalk's Brenda Donoghue.... "Kids, everybody shout 'Go on Ireland'..... Yeahhhhh.".

Amazing how Gerard Howlin has all the political answers now.
    "By 1999 he was one of a coterie of half a dozen special advisers around the then Taoiseach Mr Ahern. Responsibilities included preparing Bertie's briefings for Dail questions and speechwriting. He was Fianna Fail press secretary briefly for several months in 2007.

As it did for others in the inner circle, his earnings would rocket over the years. Howlin was making over €55,000 in 2000; less than five years later that would exceed €120,000. He left the Taoiseach's office in autumn 2007 to pursue other interests."

Left in Autumn 2007, just as the last wheel was about to fall off the wagon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

He has major dirt on Denis, it's the only reason I can come up with. He's beyond rubbish. My five year old nephew would do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

Phoenix article on Newstalk and the coincidental departure of their editor on JNLR week. Today FM PD gone too.

AFTER GARRETT HARTE AT NEWSTALK

THE announcement of Newstalk editor- in-chief Garrett Harte’s resignation came five days before the JNLR ratings for all stations. Coincidence? Hardly. But the shrewd Harte may have made his decision as he can see the writing on the wall at Newstalk.

And Denis O’Brien’s recent warnings of much Irish media going out of business is ironic given the crisis at his station. The problem is that Newstalk cannot hope to challenge RTÉ in current affairs substance and resources and has had to rely instead on challenging personalities such as Yates. It now has several competent broadcasters who are no better – and sometimes poorer – than RTÉ’s but without any compensating personalities.

Harte has been around since the station launch in 2001 and he knows a judgment call will likely be made by Christmas. Negative rumours circulating at the station include a management purge and Harte and CEO Tim Collins are the sole architects of the new schedule.

Alternatively, O’Brien may close Newstalk and a third scenario is that his INM newspaper empire will buy the station and merge its operation – premises, digital and other staff – with the Indo. This would be unlikely to attract any unwanted attention from the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭RINO87

Richie McCormack back on instead of Tom this evening. He does a great job in that slot, loved the two weeks he did in the summer. Was great having Donal Dineen back around that time too. I've listened to Tom on and off for years, but any break from him is now very welcome. Gone a little more self-obsessed than usual lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,237 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

loumasry wrote: »
    Phoenix article on Newstalk and the coincidental departure of their editor on JNLR week. Today FM PD gone too.

AFTER GARRETT HARTE AT NEWSTALK

THE announcement of Newstalk editor- in-chief Garrett Harte’s resignation came five days before the JNLR ratings for all stations. Coincidence? Hardly. But the shrewd Harte may have made his decision as he can see the writing on the wall at Newstalk.

And Denis O’Brien’s recent warnings of much Irish media going out of business is ironic given the crisis at his station. The problem is that Newstalk cannot hope to challenge RTÉ in current affairs substance and resources and has had to rely instead on challenging personalities such as Yates. It now has several competent broadcasters who are no better – and sometimes poorer – than RTÉ’s but without any compensating personalities.

Harte has been around since the station launch in 2001 and he knows a judgment call will likely be made by Christmas. Negative rumours circulating at the station include a management purge and Harte and CEO Tim Collins are the sole architects of the new schedule.

Alternatively, O’Brien may close Newstalk and a third scenario is that his INM newspaper empire will buy the station and merge its operation – premises, digital and other staff – with the Indo. This would be unlikely to attract any unwanted attention from the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

Seems like this is the most likely 'way forward' for Newstalk, although some in INM don't seem to see the station as much of an acquisition

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/1129/835159-inm-ceo-and-chairman-clash-over-possible-acquisit/

Can someone with a business brain explain how shifting NT from one part of his empire to another would improve things for DOB? Presumably he would still have to bear the losses...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Don't know if it's just here in the West of Ireland but reception for Newstalk has gone terrible lately, it died totally om the way home from work this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I like Sarah McInerney, think Drive works well.

But Jesus tonight, Christmas with her & her cousin (or whatever) sounds seriously sucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I like Sarah McInerney, think Drive works well.

But Jesus tonight, Christmas with her & her cousin (or whatever) sounds seriously sucky.

I don't enjoy her work at all, she stutters over words in every other sentence and her constant Trump tirades are an instant channel changer for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement