Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

What's interesting is that the last two posters to jump on the "she said teachers are like terrorists" thing are both infrequent contributors to the Radio forum, but regulars in Teaching and Lecturing.

That tells me that someone, somewhere has definitely picked up on her analogy...

Seriously who goes through other poster's histories to try prove their point. You'll also find I've posted nearly equally in both forums, not that it makes any difference if I haven't really does it?

And I heard her she said 'like terrorists'. Agreeing with another poster it proves her incompetence if she has to resort to such ridiculous analogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Seriously who goes through other poster's histories to try prove their point. You'll also find I've posted nearly equally in both forums, not that it makes any difference if I haven't really does it?

I've seen it done often. It can be a useful tool. There's a handy column than shows what forums a user has posted in, so you don't have to trawl through the actual posts.

It was only after the second username that was unfamiliar to me (I read way, way more than I comment) mentioned the 'terrorist' thing that I thought, "I wonder are they teachers?" So I went and looked.

You still misrepresented what she said and the point she was making, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I've seen it done often. It can be a useful tool. There's a handy column than shows what forums a user has posted in, so you don't have to trawl through the actual posts.

It was only after the second username that was unfamiliar to me (I read way, way more than I comment) mentioned the 'terrorist' thing that I thought, "I wonder are they teachers?" So I went and looked.

You still misrepresented what she said and the point she was making, though.

Why would you be pedantic! Who cares if we're teachers, would my comment have more validity if I were a pharmacist, a dog walker? Her comment was still ridiculous!

I didn't misrepresent what she said, I can't. It's there, you can re listen. I couldn't give a fiddlers what she, you or anyone else has to say about teachers. She can compare teachers and their striking to many things but terrorists..... I feel embarrassed for her.

Why would you be pedantic! Who cares if we're teachers, would my comment have more validity if I were a pharmacist, a dog walker? Her comment was still ridiculous!

I didn't misrepresent what she said, I can't. It's there, you can re listen. I couldn't give a fiddlers what she, you or anyone else has to say about teachers. She can compare teachers and their striking to many things but terrorists..... I feel embarrassed for her.

Pedantry is part of what I do for a living!

And we'll have to disagree on the "she compared teachers to terrorists" thing.

I heard it and understood it as a simile about tactical approaches, as I outlined in post 234 above.

Let's leave it there, shall we? We're dragging the overall thread off course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I just heard Sarah McInerney say '...and Chris we blah blah...and when you juxtasuppose something something...'

Juxtasuppose :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Yeah I heard her saying that alright. You would think a journalist would know her words. Especially a word like that, which would probably be used a lot by political commentators.

I'm still baffled by the squeaking noise though. Very prominent today. I think I'm losing my mind. It's like there is somebody behind her washing a window as she speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carlowmanken

Ok, three mornings in a row there sound is replaced with mass from some church!!!!! Its like that most of the drive from Carlow to Portlaoise. Cant make out which church, but the signal is perfect and the radio name shows "Newstalk"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yeah I heard her saying that alright. You would think a journalist would know her words. Especially a word like that, which would probably be used a lot by political commentators.

I'm still baffled by the squeaking noise though. Very prominent today. I think I'm losing my mind. It's like there is somebody behind her washing a window as she speaks.
    I only noticed the squeaking when I read it here and listened out for it, now I hear it all the time.

She's terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I see the CEO Editor in Chief has resigned today, at least he's not obliged to listen to the Breakfast Show or Hook anymore.

edit: The Editor in Chief, not the CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I see the CEO has resigned today, at least he's not obliged to listen to the Breakfast Show or Hook anymore.

Where'd you see that?

• Advertisement

Seems I read it wrong, it's the Newstalk Editor in Chief, not the CEO. Spotted it on the Indo online during a tea break

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/newstalk-editorinchief-regretfully-resigns-from-position-35149551.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

NufcNavan wrote: »

However the 'Drive Time' slot is easily the worst now. Chris has nobody to keep him down now that Ivan is out of the picture. He's so banal as a presenter and his overly biased views can be too much.

Sarah seems to be genuinely dim as well. She rarely has a good grasp of the topic at hand and she made some outrageous comparison with teachers and terrorists which unsurprisingly wasn't picked up on.

Maybe it's my perception, or maybe it's her accent, but she comes across as being utterly disinterested in being there. Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I only noticed the squeaking when I read it here and listened out for it, now I hear it all the time.

She's terrible.

the whistling sound is because she has a very slight gap between her tongue and front teeth when speaking, slightly bigger than most people. Chris Eubank has it now. he went to a dentist to sort out his lisp, and came out with a whisle. once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

At this stage, this should probably be renamed the 'Drive' thread!

Anyway, it's worse Norris is getting, in his inability to just STFU and insistence on talking over everything. And the anchors just giggled nervously and/or cluelessly, with no apparent willingness or ability to assert control.

Not sure what's worse: that, or Chris attempting his 'Junior Paxman' thing, but always on just the wrong issue to pick up on...

This John Connors lad seems to think that he can say whatever he wants just cos he's a traveller. Always a big whinge never any accountability. Calling FG anti traveller and accused Enda Kenny of being supportive of the murder of Frog Ward. Nobody prepared to tackle him.

This Jonathan Healy lad. I swear to God. I used to enjoy the laid back nature of the Sunday Show with Shane Coleman. The show was a perfect fit for him. Now we have Healy, and all the amateur dramatics, inflections and smart ar$e remarks that that brings. He truly is the pantomime dame of Newstalk.

And I'm still waiting for what all the pro hilary troupe in Newstalk have to say about Hilary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This Jonathan Healy lad. I swear to God. I used to enjoy the laid back nature of the Sunday Show with Shane Coleman. The show was a perfect fit for him. Now we have Healy, and all the amateur dramatics, inflections and smart ar$e remarks that that brings. He truly is the pantomime dame of Newstalk.

This is about Healys level of investigation (or at least was when he was on the lunchtime slot)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

That game coding show between 11 and 12 was possibly up there with one of the worst hours of radio I heard in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Cyber security for kids now. Newstalk really excelling this bank holiday.

A tumbleweed passing through the studio in relation to the Hilary Clinton FBI story. Can you imagine if the FBI has announced that they were investigating Trump, they would have been wall to wall with it, and Pat Kenny would have been cracking open a bottle of Champagne with that Democratic party shill from DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Can you imagine if the FBI has announced that they were investigating Trump, they would have been wall to wall with it, and Pat Kenny would have been cracking open a bottle of Champagne with that Democratic party shill from DCU.

And if it was Trump you would ignore it and you certainly wouldn't post about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

A tumbleweed passing through the studio in relation to the Hilary Clinton FBI story. Can you imagine if the FBI has announced that they were investigating Trump, they would have been wall to wall with it, and Pat Kenny would have been cracking open a bottle of Champagne with that Democratic party shill from DCU.
    by tumbleweed you mean Kieran Cuddihy coming in and doing a piece on it and having a guest on from the US?

i'm not really sure what you're expecting, considering what a nothing story it is in terms of substance. the only story is how it might influence the election, which we won't know for at least another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh god there was a glorious bit of broadcasting from shona murray at a trump rally in michicgan today just after 6.

theyre going nuts cause trump is now in the lead in the latest polls.

anyway the bit conscerned her basically giving out to a trump supporter for supporting trump after all his comments about what he'd like to do to women he fancies.

que the lad asking her if she's ever had sex and whats she got against hetrosexual men.

its was class the reaction from chris and sarah. PURE D4 offense. ya should stream it if ya can.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pat Kenny pointing out the absurdness of the implication that rank and file Gardaí be paid the same as members of ERU's or other armed units was good radio.
    They are using it as a sound bite for his show at the moment.

I heard the interview live, he really is a very good current affairs broadcaster. He can identify the weak points in arguments from both sides of a discussion which puts the interviewee in a tough position which then provides the listener with more than just banal comments.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Pat getting the extra hour has been the only saving grace of the changes in the station. He's excellent on radio.

Christ. Every time Henry Mc is on Drive these days doing some "serious reportage", I have to turn it off. Bad enough when he was doing puff pieces on Moncrieff, but now I just can't take it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Christ. Every time Henry Mc is on Drive these days doing some "serious reportage", I have to turn it off. Bad enough when he was doing puff pieces on Moncrieff, but now I just can't take it...

Himself and Sarah were totally shocked that young people took drugs. Thanks to them for dropping that bombshell over the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Had occasion to listen to Drive yesterday for the first (and possibly the last) time - it was a segment with John Kelliher and some other person on new films/tv. John Kelliher has been on countless other shows over the years and I've always found him to be genial, well informed and an interesting listen. The interaction between him and Chris was awkward and the other reviewer was on the hyperactive side and quite a difficult listen. I had to switch off and despite a minuscule sample size I'd say that if this was representative of the rest of the content it makes Hookie seem like radio gold....

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Have found myself listening to less and less radio since these changes took affect. :(

I was never a regular breakfast listener as I can't stand Chris Donoghue (more about him later). Ivan was terrific and in fairness they worked well together, certainly in hindsight.

The new breakfast is exactly what everybody expected it to be. Bloody awful! Absolutely no chemistry or wit between any of them.

I'm sure he is a lovely fella but seriously who thought Alan Quinlan was a good fit for breakfast radio? Chris Donoghue is more convincing as a sports fan in the evening and I'm sure most of his knowledge comes from reading the headlines or opinions of others on the way in to work. Quinlan must be dirt cheap. I can't think of anything else that explains his gloomy presence.

Collette and Coleman are two absolute drips but at least competent broadcasters. To his credit SC at least tries to insert a bit of humour into things.

Williams - it's all been said already. I'd love to see Ian O'Doherty in his place, perhaps just him and Coleman. Stop the rotating!

Pat is an absolute treasure in the mornings. I hope he never retires.

Loved the Right Hook but this new slot is a mess. I loved the bombastic George on drivetime wrapping up the days news and giving his opinions. Some of these lunch segments are painful. A food tasting slot where he won't try any of the food?? Seriously who's idea was that?

Crappy book shop visits where he clearly has no interest in the material. Ciara Kelly and the Joe Duffy-esque callers. Not to mention vaccines! Get rid now please.

Moncrieff is terrific as always. I thought condensing the show might be better but give him 4 hours if necessary!!

Never thought I'd be praising Chris Donoghue but he is by far the more likeable one in the evenings. Co host is rubbish, they are both too nicey nice about everything or feigning outrage it is hard to stomach. Car insurance again?? Like 12 days in a row at one point!!

Still listen to OTB. Gilroy still a twit. Sad to hear Cian has left. Hope it's onto better things.

Tom Dunne still the man at night.

Tldr, load of ****e.

• Advertisement

I think Ciara Kelly is quite good, but pretty much agree with the rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement