Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

CFlat wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Why would the FBI be interested with alleged ticket touting in Brazil? It's not their jurisdiction.

Maybe money passed through countries that are on embargo lists.or was handled by people on embargo lists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

marienbad wrote: »
    Sure because of who he is there is bound to be a huge reaction . I have just found the level of vitriol ( even by internet standards) astonishing .

He is after all a fairly minor figure in Irish life that has a temporary prominence every four years .

If the likes of John Giles had been arrested for similar accusations there would be public outcry and support for the man, Hickey has very few supporters other than his closest associates and those in power...ask yourself why, the athletes themselves have no sympathy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

they say a picture paints a thousand words but maybe its just me or was Pat Hickey that smug - every picture I see of him has that kind of smug smirk of a man you would love to box the head off of him

hardly be that smug when he gets out of Bangu - biggest disappointment was that he didn't have his head shaved

how are the OCI going to fund the cost of extended stay and accomodation for the OCI 3 and Hickey

the police have Hickey by the stones whatever way you look at it - there he is lying ont he 11th August in the RTE interview with Bromwell - email evidence proves this

tickets are only a means to an end - money laundering looks to be the end state here - could do with Rio police drip feeding some more emails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Steve wrote: »
    I have a few million air miles behind me, first class on a trip like that is like going to a spa and being pampered for 24hrs, coach is like being put in prison.

The bitterest part is, how many days did you and I have to work in order to generate the 15 grand tax for the ticket that we taxpayers paid for? Not to mention the three hotel rooms he needed...

People give out about the lower echelons of society and their sense of 'entitlement' being reprehensible. Their €40 claim for whatever is well put into perspective by this debacle.
    Finally someone says it!

Spot on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's getting release but under house arrest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Andalucia wrote: »
    tickets are only a means to an end - money laundering looks to be the end state here - could do with Rio police drip feeding some more emails
    Sorry to disappoint you but money laundering in the context they are using means 'gouging' or selling tickets at inflated prices.

Stheno wrote: »
    He's getting release but under house arrest
    House arrest or 7 star luxury hotel room arrest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

House arrest or 7 star luxury hotel room arrest?

1 bed apartment arrest.

flutered wrote: »
    do you believe the last sentence that you wrote, if so google will have you change your mind, dine with putin, get dosh from the coffers of irish paid tax and distribute it around eastern europe when there were more pressing humanatarian causes in ireland
    As a matter of interest how much money did he get from Irish taxpayers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

LorMal wrote: »
    1 bed apartment arrest.

Yep he's not allowed be under house arrest in a hotel
    Mmallon didn't get as strict a condition

• Advertisement

1 bed apartment arrest.
    1 bed? Inhumane.

Disgraceful the way he is being treated.

smurgen wrote: »
    Maybe money passed through countries that are on embargo lists.or was handled by people on embargo lists.

It won't be long before Interpol, the KGB, the UN and NASA get involved.

1 bed? Inhumane.

Disgraceful the way he is being treated.

Apparently the toilet roll is only 2 ply.

more revelations tonight about Hickey looking for 500 tickets to the football final and 30 for the mens basketball final - wasn't sure where he wanted to sit obviously

IOC have a lot of questions to answer if they gave him these tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It won't be long before Interpol, the KGB, the UN and NASA get involved.

Interpol investigated Fifa.they may very well investigate the IOC in future.you seem to be upset that possible corruption is being investigated.strange,very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

more revelations tonight about Hickey looking for 500 tickets to the football final and 30 for the mens basketball final - wasn't sure where he wanted to sit obviously

Him and all the others on these massive expenses billings with no salaries are using tickets to buy favours from politicians and business people for friends and family and anyone else that scratches their back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is he still getting the daily expense allowance or was that stopped when he was arrested

Interpol investigated Fifa.they may very well investigate the IOC in future.you seem to be upset that possible corruption is being investigated.strange,very strange.
    Indeed. Regardless of the outcome of the investigation into Hickey, if this debacle results in more and more inquiries into the operations of the IOC, it is undoubtedly a good thing.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Him and all the others on these massive expenses billings with no salaries are using tickets to buy favours from politicians and business people for friends and family and anyone else that scratches their back!
    Lol

If I thought Vlad Putin was that cheap, I'd be getting hiim tickets for Electric Picnic pronto. :D

And to think Charlie Haughey stuck Ben Dunne for a couple of million and all it would have taken was a few tickets for the All Ireland. Ben must be livid now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is he still getting the daily expense allowance or was that stopped when he was arrested
    All his expenses including legal expenses will be paid by taxpayers and at the expense of athletes and small sports clubs as always happens.

• Advertisement

Nah. I'm having a laugh about the huge overreaction. We need a sense of perspective in Ireland. We have one of the highest national debt per capita in the world - and we still keep borrowing at enormous levels. We pay back billions to unsecured bond holders. It's completely nuts.
    What's the main story for weeks now? Tickets for the Olympics - that were very poorly attended.
    It's a disgrace if someone was on the take, for sure. But a bit of perspective required.

http://bfy.tw/7S8W :)

Bach IOC president gets an allowance of Eur 225k per year

The figure does not include Bach's housing in Lausanne, Switzerland. The IOC pays for his accommodation in a suite at the Lausanne Palace hotel, where predecessors Jacques Rogge and Juan Antonio Samaranch also resided during their years in office.

tough going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

foggy_lad wrote: »
    All his expenses including legal expenses will be paid by taxpayers and at the expense of athletes and small sports clubs as always happens.

I'm fairly sure I heard that the IOC would pay has legal expenses if it goes to court and he wins the case but if he's found guilty he will have to cover the expenses himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nah. I'm having a laugh about the huge overreaction...... We have one of the highest national debt per capita in the world -.....

Because we still live in a small corrupt brown envelope society where the rich are creaming it off the backs of the taxpayer.

It's not only this situation it's the thousand others that are creaming off our tax money.

The sooner we oust the first one, the sooner momentum is gained to oust others. :)

I am so sick of the waste in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Süddeutsche Zeitung reporting more of PH's ticket requests this evening.

See Gavan Reillys twitter feed for details

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/770361558962757636

Also link in German here. Sadly my Junior Cert German is somewhat hazy at this stage

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/olympia-tickets-fuer-das-fussball-finale-bitte-1.3139355

Thomas Bach being German is presumably the reason German press interested in it.

If there are any german speakers out there any chance of a translation bitte?

Google translate gives the general gist of it, but some bits of the report are patchy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Unless it was American money or an American company, that's still none of their business. If I work for an American company in Ireland, I can't do business with any of the embargoed countries. If I have my own company in Ireland, I can do business with anyone I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Definitely very unusual. Interest in those two events would be non existent in Ireland which begs the question why the OCI would be seeking such an allocation.

Steve wrote: »
    Because we still live in a small corrupt brown envelope society where the rich are creaming it off the backs of the taxpayer.

It's not only this situation it's the thousand others that are creaming off our tax money.

The sooner we oust the first one, the sooner momentum is gained to oust others. :)

I am so sick of the waste in this country.

I totally agree. I don't think taxpayers are the victims on this one though. I cannot believe our tolerance about our terrible public services, third world health system, rubbish public transport, atrocious mental health services, corrupt police force, escalating suicide rates, rampant alcoholism and drug problems and an appalling and ineffectual political system, let we get apoplectic about Olympic tickets and a few flights and hotel rooms.
    Yes it stinks. I hope whoever is guilty is caught and punished accordingly. But we have far bigger fish to fry.

• Advertisement

if benjamin franklins are being used anywhere along the line, then they have an interest - likely to have been the case here

Advertisement