Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That article by Liam Collins is just unbelievable. Is he that detached from reality that he thinks thatt mentioning the IRA and bankers will just make people forget about the Hickey story?

He had an article yesterday too which paints old wifey as a saint of sorts. How she is now a victim etc. Absolutely no mention of the fact that she lied to police and attempted to pervert the course of justice,

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sylviane-caught-in-vicious-crossfire-of-sporting-politics-35001157.html

Hope that Collins lad gets hit by a fcuking bus. His obituary would be of better journalistic quality than the shite he writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

URL, that is OTT. Doesn't help your case.

Water John wrote: »
    URL, that is OTT. Doesn't help your case.

What case? Irish media and journalism would be a lot better off without his kind

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How does such a sick old man get permission from his doctors to go jetting all over the world? all his flights are very long haul flights, Rio-Moscow-Dublin-Azerbaijan etc

How does he get travel insurance? how does he survive the pain of such long distances with his fat-cat ass stuck in a tiny aircraft seat?

Sure when he was arrested the hotels doctor did blood pressure tests on him and the results were that the readings were normal.
    Its interesting that the barrister used by OCI and Hickey, Siobhan Phelan, has also acted for Angela Kerins of Rehab and Paul Kelly of Console. Both of those also ended up checking themselves into hospital when the heat came on.
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    The media defence of Hickey goes back more than a few weeks. Here is an article on Pat around the time of the failed Richard Burroughs coup written in January 2001 by a certain Tom Humphries late of the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/burrows-won-t-get-helm-off-hickey-1.267980

Ah Tom Humphries, yet another man who checked himself into hospital when the law caught up with him. Tom has fallen far from his ivory tower in the Irish Times and will soon be up in court on charges of his relationship with a 9 year old girl. Four years too late IMO but his day will soon come, the scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The third person from the Northside at that fancy restaurant must be worried. Look what has happened the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sure when he was arrested the hotels doctor did blood pressure tests on him and the results were that the readings were normal.
    Its interesting that the barrister used by OCI and Hickey, Siobhan Phelan, has also acted for Angela Kerins of Rehab and Paul Kelly of Console. Both of those also ended up checking themselves into hospital when the heat came on.

Ah Tom Humphries, yet another man who checked himself into hospital when the law caught up with him. Tom has fallen far from his ivory tower in the Irish Times and will soon be up in court on charges of his relationship with a 9 year old girl. Four years too late IMO but his day will soon come, the scumbag.

Not one for innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, are you?

Ever been to Brazil? The journey there is long enough from Europe, but it's longer still from Ireland, since there are (last time I checked, anyway) no direct flights. It's not an easy journey for a young healthy person. A frail man doesn't make a journey of 15-20 hours, plus an hour of a mountainous drive from the airport to Barra da Tijuca.

Its interesting. All the fury on here about first class flights and 5 star hotels - and you are making it sound like the journey from hell.

That article by Liam Collins is just unbelievable. Is he that detached from reality that he thinks thatt mentioning the IRA and bankers will just make people forget about the Hickey story?

He had an article yesterday too which paints old wifey as a saint of sorts. How she is now a victim etc. Absolutely no mention of the fact that she lied to police and attempted to pervert the course of justice,

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sylviane-caught-in-vicious-crossfire-of-sporting-politics-35001157.html

Hope that Collins lad gets hit by a fcuking bus. His obituary would be of better journalistic quality than the shite he writes.

Ah here -a bit of perspective - she is hardly a criminal mastermind...Quick Pat, hide under the bed, they will never look there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

LorMal wrote: »
    Not one for innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, are you?

I thought he was to frail to go to court ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ah here -a bit of perspective - she is hardly a criminal mastermind...Quick Pat, hide under the bed, they will never look there

Then complaining after answering the door naked...

• Advertisement

I thought he was to frail to go to court ?

Who said that? I read that he is keen to go to court as soon as possible

Then complaining after answering the door naked...

Did she?

My problem is with her demands to meet with politicians, and issuance of statements to be printed and reiterated by 'friendly' journalists about how she is suffering and had to go to France rather than return to Ireland.

Collins basically gave her life bio in that piece, and only mentioned in passing that she 'told police she didn't know where Pat was'

Which is bull****, she told them outright that he had already returned to Ireland. She has been shown as a liar, regardless of the severity of the case. She lied to police and attempted to help Hickey evade justice.

Now we have the family solicitor saying that there's no reason Hickey shouldn't be given bail, despite him already having tried to evade arrest; and the media here are all too happy to just repeat what she and the family have said and not ask questions that should be asked.

Instead it's all about how the family are suffering. Well if they're suffering then its due to the actions of Pat and his wife, not the Irish public or Brazilian authorities.

It's an absolute disgrace that a sniveling bunch of boot-lickers calling themselves 'journalists' are setting the narrative and expecting the dopey, servile Irish public to just accept and go along with it.

It's exactly that kind of carry on that allowed the church to rule over people's lives here for so long. 'Don't be asking questions of your betters'

My problem is with her demands to meet with politicians, and issuance of statements to be printed and reiterated by 'friendly' journalists about how she is suffering and had to go to France rather than return to Ireland.

Collins basically gave her life bio in that piece, and only mentioned in passing that she 'told police she didn't know where Pat was'

Which is bull****, she told them outright that he had already returned to Ireland. She has been shown as a liar, regardless of the severity of the case. She lied to police and attempted to help Hickey evade justice.

Now we have the family solicitor saying that there's no reason Hickey shouldn't be given bail, despite him already having tried to evade arrest; and the media here are all too happy to just repeat what she and the family have said and not ask questions that should be asked.

Instead it's all about how the family are suffering. Well if they're suffering then its due to the actions of Pat and his wife, not the Irish public or Brazilian authorities.

It's an absolute disgrace that a sniveling bunch of boot-lickers calling themselves 'journalists' are setting the narrative and expecting the dopey, servile Irish public to just accept and go along with it.

It's exactly that kind of carry on that allowed the church to rule over people's lives here for so long. 'Don't be asking questions of your betters'

You are being hysterical.
    Hickey's wife panicked when the police arrived to arrest her husband. A normal human reaction under stress. None of us are saints - we don't know how we would react in the same circumstances.
    You do understand that PH has not yet been found guilty of any crime?

You are being hysterical.
    Hickey's wife panicked when the police arrived to arrest her husband. A normal human reaction under stress. None of us are saints - we don't know how we would react in the same circumstances.
    You do understand that PH has not yet been found guilty of any crime?

His family and legal reps are demanding govt action and complaining about poor treatment over the fact that he has not yet been granted bail.

Do you think he should be granted bail, considering the fact that he has already tried to evade police?

And do you honestly think that what she told police was just an off-the-cuff reaction under stress? Get real will you?!

She told a barefaced lie about where Pat was, while he was staying in another hotel actively trying to hide from police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Do you think he should be granted bail, considering the fact that he has already tried to evade police?

when did he try and evade police?

Please don't tell me you are one of those that believes every bit of sh1te written in the indo?

When he was arressted (as seen by the tv coverage) he was stark naked and half asleep - what part of that suggests he was trying to flee?

Your worse than the gutter press with your assumptions

Walter2016 wrote: »
    when did he try and evade police?

That time he stayed in a different hotel room to the one he was booked into in advance, and had his wife tell them that he had already returned to Ireland.

Do you need a picture painted to help you see the blindingly obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Its interesting. All the fury on here about first class flights and 5 star hotels - and you are making it sound like the journey from hell.

It is a horrible journey. First class flights and 5 star hotels are completely irrelevant, and I don't know why you're bringing them up (well, I do, but to mention why is against the charter*...). I'm sure dropping €15000+ on the flights makes it a little better, but it won't make the journey any shorter. Neither will getting a nicer hotel.

But you knew that already.

*Heh, technically replying to you at all is against the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It is a horrible journey. First class flights and 5 star hotels are completely irrelevant, and I don't know why you're bringing them up (well, I do, but to mention why is against the charter*...). I'm sure dropping €15000+ on the flights makes it a little better, but it won't make the journey any shorter. Neither will getting a nicer hotel.

What are you referring to in the charter? I don't understand your point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It is a horrible journey. First class flights and 5 star hotels are completely irrelevant, and I don't know why you're bringing them up (well, I do, but to mention why is against the charter*...). I'm sure dropping 15000+ on the flights makes it a little better, but it won't make the journey any shorter. Neither will getting a nicer hotel.

*Heh, technically replying to you at all is against the charter.[/quote]

I'm assuming you never flew first class. There is absolutely nothing horrible about it. A bed to lie on, unlimited top quality drink and food, an entertainment centre for your amusement, attendants fawning over you, a gift pack for your onward journey.

You need to read the Humphries article, Vincent Hogan, David Walsh to name a few. Hickey revels in the all expenses paid lifestyle, there is zero hardship in spending someone else's money lavishly on yourself.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Done the trip to Sao Paulo a few times. Only the once first class mind. On one occasion I started from Buenos Aires and we stopped at Sao Paulo en route back to Dublin - only business class that time. It's really not a difficult or challenging journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I'm assuming you never flew first class. There is absolutely nothing horrible about it. A bed to lie on, unlimited top quality drink and food, an entertainment centre for your amusement, attendants fawning over you, a gift pack for your onward journey.

I have actually, though not for that particular journey (I'm not made of money! :p).
    Beasty wrote: »
    Done the trip to Sao Paulo a few times. Only the once first class mind. On one occasion I started from Buenos Aires and we stopped at Sao Paulo en route back to Dublin - only business class that time. It's really not a difficult or challenging journey.

We'll agree to disagree on that one. Maybe if you do it often enough (as I have) it becomes more horrible. It used to be much, much worse when I was little, which is why I don't think a "frail old man" would fare all that well, but I still don't think it's the nicest of routes by any means, and when you get there the roads aren't exactly nice and transfers take a long time due to how far apart everything is.
    Of course I'm biased by the fact that it's the one journey where I've had the worst things happen (passport stolen at the airport? Missing connecting flights due to the stupidity of some other family, who tried to board the flight to France with tens of litres of cooking oil plus kitchen appliances? Turbulence so bad that the flight attendants began to cry? Yup.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I have a few million air miles behind me, first class on a trip like that is like going to a spa and being pampered for 24hrs, coach is like being put in prison.

The bitterest part is, how many days did you and I have to work in order to generate the 15 grand tax for the ticket that we taxpayers paid for? Not to mention the three hotel rooms he needed...

People give out about the lower echelons of society and their sense of 'entitlement' being reprehensible. Their €40 claim for whatever is well put into perspective by this debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Walter2016 wrote: »

Your worse than the gutter press with your assumptions

As are you.

In all the stuff you have written, nowhere have you had any respect or consideration for the actual athletes who, it seems, exist to be exploited by the IOC and so on down.

The money trail is the key here:
    You seem to believe that PH gave THG/PC!)/et al tickets with a touting value of say 2m euro, just because they were nice guys.

If that money came back to benefit the athletes it might make some sense but it does not.

The good news is that I was talking to a pal of mine who works in the FBI and they are sharpening the pencils on this one.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It is a horrible journey. First class flights and 5 star hotels are completely irrelevant, and I don't know why you're bringing them up (well, I do, but to mention why is against the charter*...). I'm sure dropping 15000+ on the flights makes it a little better, but it won't make the journey any shorter. Neither will getting a nicer hotel.

You need to read the Humphries article, Vincent Hogan, David Walsh to name a few. Hickey revels in the all expenses paid lifestyle, there is zero hardship in spending someone else's money lavishly on yourself.[/quote]

I've never heard such nonsense.if it was horrible do you think people would be paying 15 k for it?that's half a years net salary for most people.these people aren't living in the real world at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

As are you.

In all the stuff you have written, nowhere have you had any respect or consideration for the actual athletes who, it seems, exist to be exploited by the IOC and so on down.

The money trail is the key here:
    You seem to believe that PH gave THG/PC!)/et al tickets with a touting value of say 2m euro, just because they were nice guys.

If that money came back to benefit the athletes it might make some sense but it does not.

The good news is that I was talking to a pal of mine who works in the FBI and they are sharpening the pencils on this one.

Am I missing something here? Why would the FBI be interested with alleged ticket touting in Brazil? It's not their jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

marienbad wrote: »
    Sure because of who he is there is bound to be a huge reaction . I have just found the level of vitriol ( even by internet standards) astonishing .

He is after all a fairly minor figure in Irish life that has a temporary prominence every four years .
    do you believe the last sentence that you wrote, if so google will have you change your mind, dine with putin, get dosh from the coffers of irish paid tax and distribute it around eastern europe when there were more pressing humanatarian causes in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

is there any tickets going for the trial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

CFlat wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Why would the FBI be interested with alleged ticket touting in Brazil? It's not their jurisdiction.

Was just wondering the same thing.

Unless they are disgruntled at Chicago missing out on getting these games?

The fact the USA missed out on the 2022 world cup to Qatar made them take note of FIFA. Maybe this is their way to get hooks into the IOC?

Advertisement