Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There does seem to be a certain amount of glee taken by some people in the way he has been treated. I'd wager many of these people complained when Daly was handcuffed or Paul Murphy was arrested and called it abuse of power, but video a naked guy in power getting arrested and held for weeks without reason and it's a cause for celebration.

he is not being held "without reason".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

He stonewalled a government minister - no matter what you think of the minister in question, that is unacceptable, and is not going to garner sympathy for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Well if a judge says he should be releaased on bail, the question does arise as to why he was held for so long without bail. You left out the 'for weeks' part which is (I presume) the full context

The same goes for Mallon btw. You're either eligible for bail or you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

vienne86 wrote: »
    He stonewalled a government minister - no matter what you think of the minister in question, that is unacceptable, and is not going to garner sympathy for the guy.
    He has been stonewalling ministers for years, disrespecting athletes and suing journalists. Read the links on this thread alone and you will hear that he called Eamon Coghlan a f*****g loser and that he wasn't going to let any athletes go to Olympics who didn't have a chance of a medal.

All the while he was giving money that could have developed athletes to sports like Archery, Shooting and Snowsports (!!!) to ensure he had the votes to keep in power. The man is poison and I have no qualms about wallowing in the schadenfreude now that it looks like someone is finally going to soften his cough.

I await with bated breath how he intends to explain the latest revelations that he was looking for more tickets for the glamour events juxtaposed with his email to Marcus Evans saying he had no use for his current allocation.

Well if a judge says he should be releaased on bail, the question does arise as to why he was held for so long without bail. You left out the 'for weeks' part which is (I presume) the full context

Yes, the judge has decided. that is the right person to decide that he should be given bail. These things take time to get before a judge. even in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

When was the second passport handed in?

If he was deemed a flight risk he'd be refused bail. Not saying thats the reason, but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Perhaps but there is a process in Brazil, also some of the relevant courts were on a break for the Olympics.
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    I think there is also an element of people delighting in someone in power being "taken down a peg or two" even if most people know very little about the man. I'm getting the sense that a lot of people are judging Hickey by their own low standards ("Ah he's in power so of course he's on the fiddle.").

He may well be guilty. He may well be dodgy. I just don't believe that most of the people having a pop know one way or the other and are just weighing in because of the fella's position.

It has nothing to do with the position, it has all to do with him and the way he ran the OCI as his own.
    There is a lot of material on this thread about these aspects so read away.

And before you start pi$$ing at large on posters here with this comment
    their own low standards, take the log out of your own eyes.:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Story in The Times saying Hickey demanded more tickets from Thomas Bach for high profile events

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hickey-demanded-more-tickets-for-top-events-0vwm586nb
    Hickey ‘demanded more tickets for top events’
    Aaron Rogan
    August 30 2016, 12:01am,
    The Times

Pat Hickey allegedly emailed Thomas Bach, right, president of the IOC, asking for hundreds of tickets to big events
    SIMON HOFMANN/GETTY IMAGES
    Save
    Pat Hickey demanded hundreds of extra tickets for prestige events at the Rio Games from the head of the International Olympic Committee, new emails are reported to show.

Süddeutsche Zeitung, a German newspaper, claims to have seen emails from Mr Hickey to Thomas Bach, president of the IOC, in which Mr Hickey asked for 500 tickets for the men’s football final after Ireland were allocated none. The newspaper also claimed that in July last year Mr Hickey asked for 188 instead of 38 tickets for the opening ceremony, 128 instead of 28 for the closing ceremony, 242 instead of 42 for the 100m final and 30 instead of none for the men’s basketball final.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought the courts were all but suspended for the duration of the games. When they resumed after the bank holiday there was a backlog to get through and PH was caught up in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

vienne86 wrote: »

Are you honestly saying that all Government Ministers are always right - and should get their own way at all times?
    How about the Government Minister who wanted to jail people for not paying their water charges, or the Government Minister who is insisting on the new Children's Hospital being built in the grounds of St James, or the Government Minister who refunded non secured bondholders to the tune of billions of tax payers euros, or the Government Minister who insisted on decentralization or on bench-marking, or the Government Minister who signed off on the tax deal with Apple....the list is endless.

So, while I totally accept that Hickey should have allowed an independent monitor into the investigation, the moral outrage on here is not proportional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I think there is also an element of people delighting in someone in power being "taken down a peg or two" even if most people know very little about the man. I'm getting the sense that a lot of people are judging Hickey by their own low standards ("Ah he's in power so of course he's on the fiddle.").

He may well be guilty. He may well be dodgy. I just don't believe that most of the people having a pop know one way or the other and are just weighing in because of the fella's position.

As they like to say here,+1000.

When you hear words used like 'shill', 'golden circle', 'elitist' etc, this thread then starts to sound more like a party political broadcast on behalf of the Lefties with a Sinn Fein-esque feel to it then actually a genuine discussion and concern about what's going on with the OCI.

There's also been some vile comments made about PHs wife too but I suppose that's not surprising either.

There are genuine contributors here all right but they are definitely out weighed by mob mentality and kick him when's he's down crowd.

LorMal wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that all Government Ministers are always right - and should get their own way at all times?
    How about the Government Minister who wanted to jail people for not paying their water charges, or the Government Minister who is insisting on the new Children's Hospital being built in the grounds of St James, or the Government Minister who refunded non secured bondholders to the tune of billions of tax payers euros, or the Government Minister who insisted on decentralization or on bench-marking, or the Government Minister who signed off on the tax deal with Apple....the list is endless.

So, while I totally accept that Hickey should have allowed an independent monitor into the investigation, the moral outrage on here is not proportional

Of course not. But he consistently stonewalled government ministers for years.

His RTE interview after Mallon was arrested has been proved to be less than truthful. Here is a sample, PB = Philip Bromwell from RTE:

PB When did you become aware of the ticketing situation?

PH eh, not until it happened…we learned from the media just like everybody else. We had no advance knowledge whatsoever.

PB Can you explain, because it seems from the outside looking in that it is a rather complex…ticketing arrangement that exists for the selling of Olympic tickets. What should happen in normal circumstances?

PH In normal circumstances, an ATR is appointed and they sell the tickets, and this happens with all Olympic committees in the world, but one has to be careful here until we get all the evidence gathered, there could be legal issues, there could be eh, the person who’s held in prison at the moment could be found not guilty, we don’t know how this is going to turn out. So we are actively collecting all the information at the moment and when we have all the answers together, we’ll be in a much clearer position.

PB How did you feel when you learned that these tickets, or some of these tickets, a lot of these tickets had Olympic Council of Ireland on them?

PH Oh I wasn’t very happy and this is why we are going through the mechanism of how did this happen and did it happen in a legal way or an illegal way against the contract that has been signed….you know I have to assemble all this information before the Council can finally make a decision and know what the facts are.

PB Were you aware from your presumably conversations with Pro 10, did they ever, had they ever had possession of these tickets?

PH What happens with the tickets is, we don’t handle them whatsoever…and Pro 10, the tickets are issued to Pro 10 not by us but by Rio 2016 so we never handle tickets whatsoever… so you’d want to refer that question to Pro 10

PB What have Pro 10 told you so far? Presumably there must be some communications between the OCI and Pro 10?

PH There is, there is communication but we’ve just told them, we’ve sent them a list of questions and we want detailed answers to each question so we can assemble all the facts.

PB Do you have any understanding or knowledge of how the OCI’s former ATR, THG, became involved in this?

PH None whatsoever

PB And the OCI no longer has any association with THG at all?

PH No, the ATR for Ireland, for the Rio 2016 games is Pro 10 Management

PB All the same a couple of days in this…as this story was developing, the OCI took perhaps the unusual step of issuing a statement in which you sought to clarify that there was no association between your son and THG. Why did the OCI do that?

PH Because that was raised again, Philip, if you remember, this is all old history. Before I went to London, it was clear that my son was working as the hospitality manager in the Irish house and in fact I was interviewed on Prime Time so that’s a matter of public record…and several of the media eh, raised it again was he still involved in THG? So we had to clarify that he wasn’t and that he isn’t and hasn’t been since after London and you will see there’s an apology in the Irish Times today to that effect.

PB When did the OCI sever its links with THG?

PH After the Sochi Games

Full transcript is available on the OCI website, for those who are interested

http://www.olympics.ie/news/15074-transcription-of-interview-with-pat-hickey-president-of-oci-with-philip-bromwell-rte-news-11082016.html

Yes, the judge has decided. that is the right person to decide that he should be given bail. These things take time to get before a judge. even in ireland
    They don't in Ireland. The law is very clear on how long you can hold someone without formally charging them. At which point bail is either allowed or denied.

They don't in Ireland. The law is very clear on how long you can hold someone without formally charging them. At which point bail is either allowed or denied.

he isnt in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Deise Vu wrote: »
    He has been stonewalling ministers for years, disrespecting athletes and suing journalists. Read the links on this thread alone and you will hear that he called Eamon Coghlan a f*****g loser and that he wasn't going to let any athletes go to Olympics who didn't have a chance of a medal.

All the while he was giving money that could have developed athletes to sports like Archery, Shooting and Snowsports (!!!) to ensure he had the votes to keep in power. The man is poison and I have no qualms about wallowing in the schadenfreude now that it looks like someone is finally going to soften his cough.

I await with bated breath how he intends to explain the latest revelations that he was looking for more tickets for the glamour events juxtaposed with his email to Marcus Evans saying he had no use for his current allocation.

Heard Paul Kimmage on with Matt Cooper yesterday evening, discussing the matter of Pat Hickey's unpopularity. Kimmage remarked that Hickey showed very little compassion to various people, including the Russian whistleblower who is now in hiding, fearing for her life; also, the swimmer who was raped by her coach, Gibney. 'You reap what you sow' seemed to be the consensus of opinion re Hickey. He seemed to have forgotten the adage: 'Be nice to people on your way up as you may meet them on your way down'.

Nothing sinister at all in the general public's reaction to Pat's 'misfortunes'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shnakey con artist.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    You can't buy votes when there isn't an election. The last time somebody stood against Hickey was something like 15 or 16 years ago. In the intervening time, there were no elections and therefore nothing to buy.

But the OCI are not in charge of funding sports anyway. I can't believe I have to keep saying this but Sport Ireland are the funding body for sports in Ireland and have been since it was handed to them by the Department of Sports etc. which took over funding in the early or mid nineties.

he isnt in ireland.

So why did you bring it up?

So why did you bring it up?

i mentioned it because even in ireland he would have spent some time in custody before a bail hearing. Perhaps not quite as long but not enough to get your knickers in a twist about.

i mentioned it because even in ireland he would have spent some time in custody before a bail hearing. Perhaps not quite as long but not enough to get your knickers in a twist about.
    Maximum 48 hours. Seven days in the case of offences against the state.

But yes, it's irrelevant except as I said, you brought it up and it's not comparable. As for getting knickers in a twist? Mallon was held for four weeks. Very few people are questioning this.

• Advertisement

ahlookit wrote: »
    Of course not. But he consistently stonewalled government ministers for years.

His RTE interview after Mallon was arrested has been proved to be less than truthful. Here is a sample, PB = Philip Bromwell from RTE:

Full transcript is available on the OCI website, for those who are interested

http://www.olympics.ie/news/15074-transcription-of-interview-with-pat-hickey-president-of-oci-with-philip-bromwell-rte-news-11082016.html

Did he? Which ministers and why?

Anyway, I cannot argue that he is hugely popular. I just like to make my own mind up about people. Over the years I have often been surprised by people once I have got to know them.

Maximum 48 hours. Seven days in the case of offences against the state.

But yes, it's irrelevant except as I said, you brought it up and it's not comparable. As for getting knickers in a twist? Mallon was held for four weeks. Very few people are qustioning this.

If the gardai let a foreign national with no ties to this country just walk out the door after 48 hours then questions would have to be asked.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Heard Paul Kimmage on with Matt Cooper yesterday evening, discussing the matter of Pat Hickey's unpopularity. Kimmage remarked that Hickey showed very little compassion to various people, including the Russian whistleblower who is now in hiding, fearing for her life; also, the swimmer who was raped by her coach, Gibney. 'You reap what you sow' seemed to be the consensus of opinion re Hickey. He seemed to have forgotten the adage: 'Be nice to people on your way up as you may meet them on your way down'.

Nothing sinister at all in the general public's reaction to Pat's 'misfortunes'. :D

Well, he certainly appears to be very unpopular in some quarters. Kimmage does not always get it right however.

IRISH JOURNALIST PAUL Kimmage has been ordered to pay former UCI president Hein Verbruggen more than €10,000, including legal fees, after the Dutchman won a defamation case against the Dubliner.
    The case, which had been running for more than four years, finally came to a conclusion in Switzerland today and former Tour de France cyclist Kimmage must now pay Pat McQuaid’s predecessor 12,000 Swiss francs (€10,900) for criticising how Verbruggen dealt with doping in the sport during his presidency from 1991 to 2005.

Did he? Which ministers and why?

Anyway, I cannot argue that he is hugely popular. I just like to make my own mind up about people. Over the years I have often been surprised by people once I have got to know them.

Off the top of my head:
    Bernard Allen for taking away some of OCIs power (funding for sports)
    James McDaid over accreditation for Sydney
    And we said, ‘No – we’ll f**king decide who gets the accreditation. And what have you got against poor John Treacy anyway?’

It was brilliant! He actually went through political channels then and got onto the Australian department of foreign affairs. And he got a letter back saying, ‘If you want to go to Sydney, you have to go through Pat Hickey’. He was raging! It was great!

He did like Frank Fahey though, cos Frank gave him a few bob to schmooze the newly formed olympic councils in Eastern Europe after the fall of the USSR, thus paving the way for his tilt at the EOC

If the gardai let a foreign national with no ties to this country just walk out the door after 48 hours then questions would have to be asked.
    No they wouldn't. They'd have to justify it in court at a bail hearing. Make their case about the possible flight risk in front of a judge, who would also listen to the defense counsel make a case for bail, decide on it and either grant or refuse bail.

Totally open and transparent and the Gardai would not be making that decision.

Well, he certainly appears to be very unpopular in some quarters. Kimmage does not always get it right however.

IRISH JOURNALIST PAUL Kimmage has been ordered to pay former UCI president Hein Verbruggen more than €10,000, including legal fees, after the Dutchman won a defamation case against the Dubliner.
    The case, which had been running for more than four years, finally came to a conclusion in Switzerland today and former Tour de France cyclist Kimmage must now pay Pat McQuaid’s predecessor 12,000 Swiss francs (€10,900) for criticising how Verbruggen dealt with doping in the sport during his presidency from 1991 to 2005.

He's particularly unpopular among sports journalists, for some strange reason.

Look up twitter feeds from last few weeks of David Walsh, Andrew Jennings and Paul Howard for more background.... I think they have all been linked here previously too.

ahlookit wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:
    Bernard Allen for taking away some of OCIs power (funding for sports)
    James McDaid over accreditation for Sydney

He did like Frank Fahey though, cos Frank gave him a few bob to schmooze the newly formed olympic councils in Eastern Europe after the fall of the USSR, thus paving the way for his tilt at the EOC

Fair enough. Plenty of arrogance there alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

By our standards he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Kimmage calls it as he sees it, sometimes to his own, very personal cost. I give him great credit for that.

Do you think he was wrong to criticise the UCI's handling of doping? Given all that we know?

There's a huge difference between being wrong and being beaten in a court battle, when you're up against an organisation like the UCI, who can afford a massive team of lawyers and you're trying to scrape together funding for a defense through a crowd funding scheme (that gets ripped off).

• Advertisement

By our standards he is.

he is being held, or was being held, while an investigation was conducted.

Advertisement