Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Would love to know the prices she's charging the 'poor family' to go on the airwaves and spout this gibberish. I could have sold them a Green winged Macaw what can't even talk and it would have done a better job

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Thoie wrote: »
    If Liam Collins, or any of the other journalists defending Hickey happen to read this, they need to understand a few things.

The majority of people are not delighting in Hickey's downfall. The hatefest is not directed at a single man, but rather at the the representation we are being given by the Irish media. Mallon, who is in the same situation, possibly a more serious situation as he was found with the tickets, is barely getting a mention. You know why? Because we're not being force fed constant stories about him that we're supposed to sympathise with.

The access his PR people seem to have to the media is primarily what's riling people up. If I was arrested in Brazil tomorrow, I cannot imagine that my family's representatives would be given free rein to parrot disingenuous sob stories in "soft" interviews. I doubt that I could have the comments sections of most online newspapers closed down by threatening legal action.

The story has swiftly changed from a hearty septuagenarian who travels the world, manages an organisation, goes for daily runs and is hale enough to be "one of the most important people in the world of sports" to "a frail 71-year-old man with a heart condition".

Yes, I'm sure he probably does have a heart condition - most people of that age do (and most just aren't aware of it, as they haven't had the benefit of regular checkups at the Blackrock Clinic). He was monitored for 24 hours in hospital, and found to be fit enough for jail - they're not denying him medical treatment.

His family circumstances are irrelevant, yet they're being trotted out to garner sympathy. Pregnant daughters/daughters-in-law are not grounds for ignoring a foreign judicial system. Neither is a kid starting school.

The fact that he hasn't been charged is grossly misleading - the Brazilian justice system is different from ours, and has a step before being charged. Due process is being carried out, it's just not the same as the Irish system.

Having his head shaved was reported like it was some major indignity (when in fact it's quite a sensible precaution against headlice), yet it seems that wasn't even true. You can be very sure that his treatment in Brazil is far better than most people's - they will be very conscious of not letting the rich foreigner come to any harm while he's in their care

No real questions are being asked - why did his wife lie about his whereabouts, where is his son Stephen, did he and his wife really have three hotel rooms, how was government funding disbursed between sports, why are we bothering to hold an inquiry in Ireland - what are the goals of that inquiry given it seems no crime was committed in Ireland... There are lots of angles journalists could take, but instead we're being hit with a barrage of "oh poor Pat, they have mosquitos in Brazil, poor frail little old Pat - won't get to take his grandson to school".

That is why people are annoyed. It's not a "hatefest" - it's irritation that once again those with deep enough pockets seem to get to dictate the agenda, particularly in the state broadcaster, which we're all forking over €160 to support.

+1

Superb summary of the situation.

But sure let them waste their time and money on a PR war here. It's not going to affect what happens in front of a judge in Rio.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ahlookit wrote: »
    +1

Superb summary of the situation.

But sure let them waste their time and money on a PR war here. It's not going to affect what happens in front of a judge in Rio.

Agree.

what they are doing is trying to oil up d'Irish for when the inevitable homecoming happens, he'll be the returning hero, triumph over adversity etc... we got our man back... blah blah blah..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

LorMal wrote: »
    You don't have to look too far for the evidence you are seeking Daisybelle. On this thread, people have called for him to be imprisoned for life, to be executed, to be raped.

Maybe it's the irony that the guy in charge of Irelands Olympic institution is the very one who has tarnished Ireland at the Olympics. So they're having a laugh at this guys expense. considering at their expense the national broadcaster Rte is being his personal puppet pr machine to further insult the Irish public.

Is it really alarming that this situation should be stirring some anger within people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Any idea when he'll be in front of a judge in Rio? You would think the Brazilian authorities would have enough evidence by now.
    Of course "things are done differently over there" - like inviting the media to film an arrest for maximum exposure?

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/inside-the-windsor-marapendi-former-oci-chiefs-room-is-a-far-cry-from-notorious-prison-35002764.html

The Indo's article this morning showing us Pats "lavish" hotel room he was arrested from.

I think the guys from the Indo need to go and stay in a few nice hotels, as that hotel looks very ordinary, as does it's breakfast buffet!

Indo journo comes to the earth shattering realisation that a five star hotel is nicer than prison.

Tomorrow from the same fella: Exclusive! The sea is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Mallon, who is in the same situation, possibly a more serious situation as he was found with the tickets, is barely getting a mention. You know why? Because we're not being force fed constant stories about him that we're supposed to sympathise with.
    Mallon gets less attention because he's an unknown. That's the reality. Since Pat Hickey was arrested, there's been an almost constant media frenzy surrounding him; his arrest, the details, the videos, the emails and today we have the hotel room.

That's the way it works in the media. Storiies about people that everyone has heard about sell papers. Stories about unknowns are tomorrow's bird cage liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭sjb25

Any idea when he'll be in front of a judge in Rio? You would think the Brazilian authorities would have enough evidence by now.
    Of course "things are done differently over there" - like inviting the media to film an arrest for maximum exposure?

They have all the evidence ready they are just waiting for a court slot as the courts took a break during the Olympics they have a back log from what I've heard he should be up in the next couple of days and will most likely get bail and be put up in a nice apartment so everyone will be happy
    But I'm sure his "solicitor" will still be moaning then that he should be allowed fly home as his family are going trough hell and flys are landing on him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,528 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I am assuming from the tone of your post that you somehow think that Brazil is dragging its feet over this.

Did you have the same concern about Mallon. Given that Mallon was arrested a few days ahead of PH, and the court services were closed throughout the games, it stands to reason that PH wold be dealt with after.

There is no conspiracy here, expect in PH supporters heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/inside-the-windsor-marapendi-former-oci-chiefs-room-is-a-far-cry-from-notorious-prison-35002764.html

The Indo's article this morning showing us Pats "lavish" hotel room he was arrested from.

I think the guys from the Indo need to go and stay in a few nice hotels, as that hotel looks very ordinary, as does it's breakfast buffet!
    looking at the photo of the "rooftop pool" - there's nobody around... and for a reason, - would you swim in that green water?

and they say its an executive "suite". But seems it just one room, so can't be a "suite"

But sure the truth never matters to the indo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mallon gets less attention because he's an unknown. That's the reality. Since Pat Hickey was arrested, there's been an almost constant media frenzy surrounding him; his arrest, the details, the videos, the emails and today we have the hotel room.

I wonder how many people had really heard of Hickey before either? More than had heard of Mallon, definitely, but if you'd asked random people on the street last April "Who's Pat Hickey?" I wonder how many would have known?
    That's the way it works in the media. Storiies about people that everyone has heard about sell papers. Stories about unknowns are tomorrow's bird cage liners.
    Stories about people who you've heard of are tomorrow's bird cage liners too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

A solicitor coming on national radio saying she didn't know that passports belong to the state? Is she actually a solicitor? Or an adult? She didn't know that it's normal for people to have a second passport?

More of the same crap again "photographing his stuff and displaying it is a major indignity".

Pat did not give her as easy a run as MF did yesterday. My, but she can sure waffle on. When Pat asked her if she had any thoughts as to why PH was so unpopular, she tried to link it to the hard times Ireland has been through in the recent past. Went on to waffle about how unsafe the world is and how you worry about your children when they go interrailing on the continent in case they might be blown up!!!!!!!!! I kid you not!!

Was a bit disappointed in PK that he did not mention PH's involvement with less than stellar characters in countries like Azerbaijan. Ms. James was given a completely free run when she was bigging up PH's 'achievements' on the world stage. If anything, PK contributed to this bigging up of PH's 'impressive' status outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And of course he did it out of completely altruistic reasons. Just moving on some tickets, trying to help the people get to see the peoples games.

PH liked the limelight and liked the power that went with it, but from what I see, he didn't have the lifestyle of a very well paid person.

No fancy holidays, no fancy car and not one gutter "journalist" has found any financial improporiety, not even a shred of something. Zilch.

Hickey liked the power and the kudos. He liked being in the "right" company and holding court. But was he was not flamboyant and did not take financial gain from his position (he has his own auctioneering business).

So just becasue he liked being "in charge" and to have a way of doing things that others did not particularly like, the independent and the sheep thst believe the muck they write think he deserves the media treatment he is getting?

My guess is that there will be a fair whack of legal writs going the way of independent, daily mail and mirror way in a few weeks. PH likes his legal writs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

What is really so breath taking ? The guy might be an obnoxious dick but all he ( and Mallon ) are charged with is ticket touting . People have really lost the run of themselves over this .

It will be interesting to see if he gets off or just gets a slap on the wrist how the narrative will handle it . How the cops were bought off ,the system is corrupt perhaps ? Anything but accept the whole thing is an over reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

marienbad wrote: »
    What is really so breath taking ? The guy might be an obnoxious dick but all he ( and Mallon ) are charged with is ticket touting . People have really lost the run of themselves over this .

It will be interesting to see if he gets off or just gets a slap on the wrist how the narrative will handle it . How the cops were bought off ,the system is corrupt perhaps ? Anything but accept the whole thing is an over reaction

you know how much money is involved dont you?

you know how much money is involved dont you?

Not greater than the Great Train Robbery , or the Brinks Mat job I presume ,or maybe every child's communion money for the last 10 years because otherwise the righteous indignation is misplaced .

But lets not forget Azerbaijan .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I am assuming from the tone of your post that you somehow think that Brazil is dragging its feet over this.

Did you have the same concern about Mallon. Given that Mallon was arrested a few days ahead of PH, and the court services were closed throughout the games, it stands to reason that PH wold be dealt with after.

There is no conspiracy here, expect in PH supporters heads.
    Spare me the "PH supporters" stuff please.
    IF he's guilty of abusing his position in order to line his own pockets then I would have no problem with him facing what he deserves and that would include a CAB investigation in this country.
    I do have a problem with the media circus on the morning of his arrest and also the "friend of Putin" stuff. I'm not sure if having a photo taken with Putin is a criminal offence ........ yet.
    Anyone know how many times he actually met Putin?

This, posted by Thoie earlier puts it much more eloquently than I could

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100837076&postcount=3141

Spare me the "PH supporters" stuff please.
    IF he's guilty of abusing his position in order to line his own pockets then I would have no problem with him facing what he deserves and that would include a CAB investigation in this country.
    I do have a problem with the media circus on the morning of his arrest and also the "friend of Putin" stuff. I'm not sure if having a photo taken with Putin is a criminal offence ........ yet.
    Anyone know how many times he actually met Putin?

Pat seems to be under the impression they are great friends:
    And he told me that one of his favourite moments in London had been being invited to accompany Vladimir Putin and David Cameron to the judo hall.
    "A great day," said Hickey, claiming to know Putin "very well".

He enthused: "What a day in the judo hall with Cameron and Putin. That's my family, you're with friends."
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/vincent-hogan-pat-hickey-the-high-flier-who-calls-david-cameron-and-vladimir-putin-his-family-34975117.html

Not greater than the Great Train Robbery , or the Brinks Mat job I presume ,or maybe every child's communion money for the last 10 years because otherwise the righteous indignation is misplaced .

Mallon had 3M in tickets when he was arrested. do you not think that is a significant amount?

Yes, don't forget Azerbaijan. After all Pat Hickey
    apparently regards the European Games held there as his proudest legacy in the Olympic movement. Tells you a lot about the man. It was laughable to hear the family solicitor on MF yesterday state at the beginning of the interview that she was 'passionate about human rights'. But, I guess, she has never given a thought to Azerbaijan, 'passionate' and all though she claims to be about human rights. I noticed she did not repeat the statement on Pat Kenny today.

• Advertisement

Mallon had 3M in tickets when he was arrested. do you not think that is a significant amount?

In isolation sure I do , but in the great scheme of things it is not very much and we have yet to see any evidence that Hickey profited from it in any way .

And lets not forget if THG had a license the amounts would be exactly the same but no crime would have been committed - seems like a turf war / dkic measuring competition really .

PH is and was and could be a obnoxious twat also. That not a crime though .

But Azerbaijan.

Is today "let's compare the allegations against Hickey to matters like the IRA, terrorism and the biggest thefts in history to kinda downplay it" day?

I also don't get the Azerbaijan reference in every post. I don't think anyone is clinging to it as much as you.

In isolation sure I do , but in the great scheme of things it is not very much and we have yet to see any evidence that Hickey profited from it in any way .

ah sure why bother then at all at all. sure tis only 3M. I'm sure he gave them the tickets out of the goodness of that big heart of his.
    And lets not forget if THG had a license the amounts would be exactly the same but no crime would have been committed - seems like a turf war / dkic measuring competition really .

But Azerbaijan.

If my aunty had balls she would be my uncle. but she doesnt. similarly THG did not have a licence. so a crime has been committed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

humberklog wrote: »
    Hopefully she's doing more damage than good.
    Damage to what though? It's not like her waffle to the Irish media will have an effect on the Brazilian judicial system.

She is just part of the overall PR process. Legally she has no impact on what goes on abroad. However, I suspect that they are expecting some form of investigation into Pat's financial affairs and are setting themselves up for that?
    I wonder if any of PH's assets have been transferred recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The gouging charge would still apply. And there would still be questions to be answered about how THG were appointed as ATRs in the first place. It's also unclear as to whether tickets designated for athletes' friends & family wound up being resold inappropriately.

So I think you're ignoring a lot of the alleged issues. There's more to this than just the fact that THG were selling tickets when they didn't have a license.

Is today "let's compare the allegations against Hickey to matters like the IRA, terrorism and the biggest thefts in history to kinda downplay it" day?

I also don't get the Azerbaijan reference in every post. I don't think anyone is clinging to it as much as you.

I don't get your point here , I am not the one that is making out this is a the biggest crime of the century . As for IRA, terrorism - that passed me by completely .

Azerbajian has been mentioned in virtually every second or third post for quite the last numbers of days , I have mentioned it twice in an ironic sense .

think of the children .

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Walter2016 wrote: »
    PH liked the limelight and liked the power that went with it, but from what I see, he didn't have the lifestyle of a very well paid person.

No fancy holidays, no fancy car and not one gutter "journalist" has found any financial improporiety, not even a shred of something. Zilch.

Hickey liked the power and the kudos. He liked being in the "right" company and holding court. But was he was not flamboyant and did not take financial gain from his position (he has his own auctioneering business).

But this misses the point I was trying to make earlier. Payments, if there are any, will be impossible to trace. However it's not OK to waste special allocation tickets - a resource of the OCI - or deprive athletes and their families of the benefit of these tickets, even if all one is getting is prestige or influence.

Control over tickets is massive power in any sports organisation. If it has been abused, then that should be exposed and whatever consequences flow from it should be borne.

This is to conflate three different heads of wrongdoing.

1. Pocket-lining - well that's straightforward [a matter for both CAB and OCI]

2. Facilitating ticket touting - that's a crime in Brazil [a matter fro Brazilian authorities alone]

3. Misusing a resource of the OCI and depriving athletes/families/supporters of tickets - that's a separate thing and (if shown) a ground for dismissal and opprobrium [a matter for the OCI, athletes/sports organisations and the Irish public].

maudgonner wrote: »
    The gouging charge would still apply. And there would still be questions to be answered about how THG were appointed as ATRs in the first place. It's also unclear as to whether tickets designated for athletes' friends & family wound up being resold inappropriately.

So I think you're ignoring a lot of the alleged issues. There's more to this than just the fact that THG were selling tickets when they didn't have a license.

I am not ignoring anything , a crime was committed under Brazilian law , PH and Mallon were arrested in connection with that crime . Lets the law take its course and if that results in custodial sentences then so be it , I wouldn't be signing any petition for their release.

But lets not pretend that the hatefest that has arisen in the last few weeks is in any way proportionate .

But Azerbaijan.

Yes, Azerbaijan. Read up on it. ;)

Interesting how neither MF nor PK mentioned it when putting it to the family solicitor as to why Hickey seems to be so unpopular. Perhaps his willingness to associate with the despotic ruler of that country, where civil liberties are trampled on every day, might contribute towards the low regard in which he is held by some. As a self-described defender of human rights, Ms. James must be holding her nose as she comes out shilling for the close pal of some of the worst offenders against civil rights in the world. Poor Pat, according to her, is having his civil liberties 'trampled upon' in Rio. Aw, shucks, isn't karma a lighting bitch?!!

• Advertisement

I don't get your point here , I am not the one that is making out this is a the biggest crime of the century .

Could you point to anyone or any poster who is?

Advertisement