Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Thoie wrote: »
    Unless it was American money or an American company, that's still none of their business. If I work for an American company in Ireland, I can't do business with any of the embargoed countries. If I have my own company in Ireland, I can do business with anyone I want.

There's also a FATF blacklist which Irish banks aren't supposed to deal with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Action_Task_Force_on_Money_Laundering

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mal, your trying too hard. A bit like his Solr.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,388 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Andalucia wrote: »
    if benjamin franklins are being used anywhere along the line, then they have an interest - likely to have been the case here

One thing that immediately strikes me is that both events would be considered prestige ones within the Rio Olympics and demand for tickets would be very high (but of no interest to Irish people clearly).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

CFlat wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I heard that the IOC would pay has legal expenses if it goes to court and he wins the case but if he's found guilty he will have to cover the expenses himself.

The OCI, not the IOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Water John wrote: »
    Mal, your trying too hard. A bit like his Solr.

And you're not trying hard enough John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Unless it was American money or an American company, that's still none of their business. If I work for an American company in Ireland, I can't do business with any of the embargoed countries. If I have my own company in Ireland, I can do business with anyone I want.

It's their business if the organisation wishes to have a presence in America.Fifa was investigated by the FBI because they have offices in Miami.same goes for ioc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LorMal wrote: »
    And you're not trying hard enough John.

One man PR army...

I totally agree. I don't think taxpayers are the victims on this one though. I cannot believe our tolerance about our terrible public services, third world health system, rubbish public transport, atrocious mental health services, corrupt police force, escalating suicide rates, rampant alcoholism and drug problems and an appalling and ineffectual political system, let we get apoplectic about Olympic tickets and a few flights and hotel rooms.
    Yes it stinks. I hope whoever is guilty is caught and punished accordingly. But we have far bigger fish to fry.

Yeah we have all those issues.do you hear anyone saying lets forget about these issues and focus on pat hickey?no! Why not attempt to nail everyone screwing us over? It would be an example to other irish cronies that their nonsense isn't accepted by the international community.should we stop prosecuting social welfare fraud because it's small fish?you're talking through your arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

maudgonner wrote: »
    The OCI, not the IOC.

Too many acronyms being used in this thread. Gets very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

What is medically wrong with Hickey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Lemsiper wrote: »

Tricky Hickey has a sticky micky after the quickie

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Incurable shysterism.

Allergic to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

He's got a heart condition but his head may roll or else he's gonna have a pack of internet vultures on his back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

https://youtu.be/3XL1m89nkk8?t=49s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

His anal sphinchter needs adjusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Looking forward to the remake with PH as Withnail and Delaney as "I" :D

listermint wrote: »
    One man PR army...

Sorry for not joining in the group think. What do you want? Hope Hickey gets life sentence and his wife gets 10 years?
    This is just another media generated hate fest for keyboard warriors and bullies - like the Peru drug mules or the Mc Cann family.

Sorry for not joining in the group think. What do you want? Hope Hickey gets life sentence and his wife gets 10 years?
    This is just another media generated hate fest for keyboard warriors and bullies - like the Peru drug mules or the Mc Cann family.

Your post makes no sense.the media is pulling out all the stops to defend him.did joe duffy or marion f attack hickey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

His "Call my bluff" antenna isn't working as well as it used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

smurgen wrote: »
    Allergic to the truth.

A bit of truth on this thread wouldn't go a miss. The man hasn't even been charged with a crime yet and he's already been tried, found guilty and sentenced here.

Anyway that was a sure hit post with the baying for blood back slapping sycophants on this thread.

Your post makes no sense.the media is pulling out all the stops to defend him.did joe duffy or marion f attack hickey?

Rubbish. The Indo and other rags have flogged this story to death. It's a permanent fixture on their front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's their business if the organisation wishes to have a presence in America.Fifa was investigated by the FBI because they have offices in Miami.same goes for ioc.

Yes, but the OCI doesn't have US offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Rubbish. The Indo and other rags have flogged this story to death. It's a permanent fixture on their front page.
    I did a little search on the Indo website. Over 200 articles since the story broke.

That's almost 10 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

CFlat wrote: »
    A bit of truth on this thread wouldn't go a miss. The man hasn't even been charged with a crime yet and he's already been tried, found guilty and sentenced here.

Anyway that was a sure hit post with the baying for blood back slapping sycophants on this thread.

Exactly right. If the fella gets found guilty then he deserves to be locked up. However, nothing has been proven yet. The amount of vindictive schadenfreude on this thread is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If the likes of John Giles had been arrested for similar accusations there would be public outcry and support for the man, Hickey has very few supporters other than his closest associates and those in power...ask yourself why, the athletes themselves have no sympathy either.

Where would John Giles get 800 tickets for the Olympics?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where would John Giles get 800 tickets for the Olympics?
    A quick call to THG might sort him out for that number!

Yes, but the OCI doesn't have US offices.

The IOC does though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Exactly right. If the fella gets found guilty then he deserves to be locked up. However, nothing has been proven yet. The amount of vindictive schadenfreude on this thread is disgusting.

There does seem to be a certain amount of glee taken by some people in the way he has been treated. I'd wager many of these people complained when Daly was handcuffed or Paul Murphy was arrested and called it abuse of power, but video a naked guy in power getting arrested and held for weeks without reason and it's a cause for celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There does seem to be a certain amount of glee taken by some people in the way he has been treated. I'd wager many of these people complained when Daly was handcuffed or Paul Murphy was arrested and called it abuse of power, but video a naked guy in power getting arrested and held for weeks without reason and it's a cause for celebration.

I think there is also an element of people delighting in someone in power being "taken down a peg or two" even if most people know very little about the man. I'm getting the sense that a lot of people are judging Hickey by their own low standards ("Ah he's in power so of course he's on the fiddle.").

He may well be guilty. He may well be dodgy. I just don't believe that most of the people having a pop know one way or the other and are just weighing in because of the fella's position.

Advertisement