Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice - Bastille day **mod warning post 1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

From reddit:
    A truck has hit a large group of people in Nice, France at a fireworks show. There are 73 confirmed deaths.

Eyewitness reports suggest that gunfire was exchanged between Police and the driver. Earlier reports of a hostage situation are unsubstantiated, say the French Interior Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

failinis wrote: »
    As far as I know, Boris is in France today (he was booed at his first appearance in his new role) and I presume he is still in France overnight - but unsure why people are bashing him before he has even opened his mouth.

He's opened his big, fat, lying mouth plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Just saw a video on LL of the attack, god that was horrible. I feel like crying now. I feel so sorry for these people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

I just read an Interesting comment on Facebook, South America is the safest continent from Islamic terror as South of the United States its almost entirely Catholic with other Christian minorities and less than 1 million Muslims out of over 420+ million in Latin, Central and South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,818 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The crowd were next to a public road, trucks drive on roads what could they ( the police) have done?

Usually traffic would be closed to roads with people on them. Like on St Patricks day. You should not be able to get close, should be stopped streets away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Boris straight into action. What a buffoon .
    What a start for him .

What has Boris done or said about the attack ???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Guns and ammo apparently found in the cab according to some media sources,

What a coward

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

moloner4 wrote: »
    Just saw a video on LL of the attack, god that was horrible. I feel like crying now. I feel so sorry for these people.

I often wonder about the mindset of people that actively go looking for these videos and then say how horrible it is.

It can't be unseen so why look at it in the first place?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I just read an Interesting comment on Facebook, South America is the safest continent from Islamic terror as South of the United States its almost entirely Catholic with other Christian minorities and less than 1 million Muslims out of over 420+ million in Latin, Central and South America.

Depends how you define terrorism. Drug cartels and gangs can be fairly good at terrorising the population. You're still far safer in Europe than most of South and Central America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

keith16 wrote: »
    He's opened his big, fat, lying mouth plenty.

He has not spoken at all (from what I have seen) on this attack, and whats he meant to say?
    That he is shocked, horrified and disgusted at yet another attack on the French people, maybe UK will offer support in a few ways.
    Don't shoot the guy before he has even done anything - and I don't even like the guy myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Round up the North African uneducated c##ts and send them back

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I often wonder about the mindset of people that actively go looking for these videos and then say how horrible it is.

It can't be unseen so why look at it in the first place.

People's insatiable appetite for this kind of thing never stops

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

CNN giving out about people posting pictures and videos of victims on social media.
    They showed a picture themselves, but no one could be identified but they stopped showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

moloner4 wrote: »

Such a horrible contrast to the happy scenes of French cities that we saw all throughout the Euros

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Usually traffic would be closed to roads with people on them. Like on St Patricks day. You should not be able to get close, should be stopped streets away.

Stopped how? Should they try standing on front of a truck going 80km/hr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Japan also has a relatively tiny muslim population and no desire to import any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

73 dead.

Dead will be in 100's . Lets get real. Its a truck.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They need to introduce internment if only to give themselves some breathing space. Put everyone currently under surveillance behind bars and start from there. This isn't pissy little small-time crime and the civil rights crowd can whinge, but while they whinge, people won't be murdered.

LordSutch wrote: »
    What has Boris done or said about the attack ???

Not a thing.
    Just an opinion of him

• Advertisement

By the sounds of it, he didn't just drive into the crowds but reversed and drove over people for some time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Simply no words. Condolences to the victims' families.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I agree with those who say that the police couldn't really do anything about the truck. However, it is worth noting (assuming it's an attack) that it wasn't a very good one. Can you imagine the carnage which would have resulted had they filled even a quarter of the truck with explosives to be set off after the drive through? We'd be talking hundreds dead, not scores. The fact that they apparently did not indicates a good likelihood that police monitoring made the acquisition and creation of such materials too risky. In such a case, the French security forces should be commended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Now more than ever, President Trump.

Amirani wrote: »
    Stopped how? Should they try standing on front of a truck going 80km/hr?

Road block with police truck. Block the access streets leading to people.

my friend wrote: »

Yeah, that's help France.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I agree with those who say that the police couldn't really do anything about the truck. However, it is worth noting (assuming it's an attack) that it wasn't a very good one. Can you imagine the carnage which would have resulted had they filled even a quarter of the truck with explosives to be set off after the drive through? We'd be talking hundreds dead, not scores. The fact that they apparently did not indicates a good likelihood that police monitoring made the acquisition and creation of such materials too risky. In such a case, the French security forces should be commended

3rd major attack since last year in France. I'd say they need to do a better job!

73 dead so far RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

my friend wrote: »

STFU

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Local spectator on Sky News moaning about having her shopping trip interupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They need to introduce internment if only to give themselves some breathing space. Put everyone currently under surveillance behind bars and start from there. This isn't pissy little small-time crime and the civil rights crowd can whinge, but while they whinge, people won't be murdered.

Did internment stop the IRA? No, it recruited loads of people to their cause who wouldn't otherwise have joined them. The same would happen in France.

Advertisement