Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice - Bastille day **mod warning post 1**

Options
  • 14-07-2016 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Anyone else watching the news from Nice? Some lunatic drove a truck into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille day. Several people are dead, according to various media sources.

mod: I've had to remove a video showing terrible things. Please don't post anything like that. Consider the fact that people are not prepared to deal with videos of the results of an attack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone else watching the news from Nice? Some lunatic drove a truck into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille day. Several people are dead, according to various media sources.

Sky reporting a senior official in Nice talking about "dozens dead".

Also qualifying that by saying it is early days in terms of whether it is deliberate or not.

Horrific

Sky reporting a senior official in Nice talking about "dozens dead".

Also qualifying that by saying it is early days.

Horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

30 - 50 dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

30 - 50 dead

Shocking stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

https://www.rt.com/news/351086-panic-nice-france-crowd/

RT saying "unconfirmed reports of gunfire"

Hopefully not...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

cops gun fighting with dudes in truck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

looks like french security droped their guard after the euros's

Picture on Sky News of a lorry riddled with bullets which suggests police were trying to stop the vehicle.

Shooters are hold up in a local restaurant.

French TV says at least 30 killed.

Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Coming to a neighborhood near you soon, if you watched Prime Time tonight it made for shocking viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My first thought was that it might have been like the "accident" in Glasgow a couple of years ago, but apparently not. Shocking stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hopefully, an isolated incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Coming to a neighborhood near you soon, if you watched Prime Time tonight it made for shocking viewing.

Missed it, can you elaborate? ISIS have claimed responsibility. What is it about France that they hate so much?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Hopefully, an isolated incident.

A daily occurrence unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks#2016

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shocking... Nice is like a home away from home for me and have a good few friends down there... thankfully all coming back as ok thankfully but still..... the world is just such a crap ****ed up place these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Missed it, can you elaborate? ISIS have claimed responsibility. What is it about France that they hate so much?

Seem to be heavily integrated into there society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jesus. Some horrible photos on social media. Nice is one of my favourite places in the World, I was only there a week ago. Urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

BBC version http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36800730
    A lorry has struck a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, media reports and witnesses say.
    The incident took place on the Promenade des Anglais during a firework display, the reports said.
    One image on Twitter showed about a dozen people lying on the street, some being tended to.
    The local prefecture has urged people in the area to remain indoors, calling the incident "an attack".
    Some reports spoke of shots being exchanged between police and the occupants of the lorry but these have not been confirmed.
    Social media video showed people running through the streets in panic following the incident.
    A journalist with the Nice Matin newspaper reported from the scene that there was "a lot of blood and without doubt many injured".
    An Agence France-Presse reporter said the incident took place as the firework display was ending, adding: "We saw people hit and bits of debris flying around."
    Another image on Twitter showed a white lorry stopped in the middle of the promenade with damage to its front, and four police officers observing it while taking cover behind a palm tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shooters are hold up in a local restaurant.

source ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Fuuuuck just popped up on my phone (Independent app). At least 30 killed, and local news is reporting that it's being treated as an attack.

With those numbers involved, I'm guessing it was an attack alright rather than an accident, however I wouldn't give much credit to ISIS claiming responsibility for it. They tend to claim all major tragedies!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

CNN showing a picture of a lot of people lying on the ground, it put a chill down my spine.

The poor French people.

Sorry ignore that, realised there it's that right wing EDL fella..... apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Missed it, can you elaborate? ISISthave claimed responsibility. What is it about France that they hate so much?

RTE plus 1 on now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Tommy Robinson is the far-right former leader of the English Defence League. I'd take his tweets with a pinch of salt for now.

It has nothing to do with France, rather to do with Islamic Demographics and once their population goes above 10% and higher terrorism and trouble are regular occurrences. France has the largest population of Muslims in Europe. France has lax security plus a huge demograph of self-hating liberal SJW who brand any objection to immigration or terrorism to be Racist. This is a problem of Frances own making; the chickens have come home to roost for the French with their ultra-left wing social policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fuuuuck just popped up on my phone (Independent app). At least 30 killed, and local news is reporting that it's being treated as an attack.

With those numbers involved, I'm guessing it was an attack alright rather than an accident, however I wouldn't give much credit to ISIS claiming responsibility for it. They tend to claim all major tragedies!

Same I was planning on some light entertainment and then on the Independent app the news popped up.

We are all at one with the French nation, hope we can do more to stop these senseless attacks on innocents.

10s of people killed, hundred injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

****ing hell. This is horrible.

RIP to all the victims. Such a beautiful place, only recently there. This is shocking. Wonderful locals and great atmosphere during the euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

awful news :(

Advertisement