Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

what part of france are you heading to?

IF is working out at 150 more expensive than brittany for me, however, the dates are more agreeable as I'll essentially get 2 extra days in france so I'm willing to take the hit.

They were €200 more for us ? €702 each way 3* 4 berth cabin - IF prices are pricey now, ship is ok but hoping Brittany will be nicer ?

We going to St. Jean des monts - Clarys plage - will ring Eurocamp tomorrow to see if we move arrival & departure a few days to save on ferry but they might not have availability ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

aquarius10 wrote: »
    They were €200 more for us ? €702 each way 3* 4 berth cabin - IF prices are pricey now, ship is ok but hoping Brittany will be nicer ?

We going to St. Jean des monts - Clarys plage - will ring Eurocamp tomorrow to see if we move arrival & departure a few days to save on ferry but they might not have availability ?

ive done both boats, brittany ferries have a nice ship, but they sail on a saturday, dock on a sunday, with the return trip on a friday. IF do rosslare to roscoff leaving on friday and returning on a saturday. I'm going 10 hours down, near perpignan so we'll probably break up the spin with a stop in la rochelle on the way down and in cognac on the way back. I've a 5 year old and a 3 year old so 4-6 hour stretches is about the limit of what the kids will endure. IF gives me more time at the campsite.

you'll be grand for SJDM, you'll get there in about 4 hours without breaks if you were so inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Just priced up and looks ok, we are still not 100% should we go, how long you think prices will last or should I book ASAP?

Looking to go end of May for 2 weeks....

Also I only noticed it says 3 star cabin to get a cot? If I bring my travel cot could I use in 2 start 4 bed room or should I just pay the extra?

Thanks

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Just priced up and looks ok, we are still not 100% should we go, how long you think prices will last or should I book ASAP?

Also I only noticed it says 3 star cabin to get a cot? If I bring my travel cot could I use in 2 start 4 bed room or should I just pay the extra?

Thanks

Hi

I don't know how many of you there are but we had 2* 4 berth on IF last year and I swore never again ! They are tiny ! Seriously small and beds are narrow too - You won't fit a cot anywhere - get a bigger cabin

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Hi

I don't know how many of you there are but we had 2* 4 berth on IF last year and I swore never again ! They are tiny ! Seriously small and beds are narrow too - You won't fit a cot anywhere - get a bigger cabin

2 adults, 3 year old and 1 year old at the time of travelling

• Advertisement

Is the 10% discount gone? It is not coming up now when I check?

Please disregard....rang them and sorted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Ok so IF working out at €504 with 3 star 4 bed cabin inside

Stena at €411 with 4 berth outside cabin

Main question is the Stena room big enough for everyone? It will be 2 adults, 3 year old and 1 year old in travel cot. I don't mind paying 90 quid extra to make sure we have the room on ferry. Does anyone have experience?

Stena does not seem to have a comparable room to 3 star 4 bed that IF have.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Quazzie wrote: »
    At them prices surely landbridging it has to be more sense.

I'm heading down past Bordeaux which will take the guts of 10 hours from Roscoff with a couple of stops along the way. Land bridging would add another 6 hours driving each way to the total journey. If we were staying in northern France I'd consider it but given the length of our journey I'd have to be saving the guts of €1,000 to extend it by 2 X 6 hour segments and although the ferry/Eurotunnel cost Vs direct to Roscoff might be a saving of €600 or more when additional fuel is added in (12 hours driving fully loaded would be about €200 in my yoke) I still couldn't justify it.

Thanks

In my experience the only difference between 2* and 3* cabins is the space between the beds and the 3* has an old portable telly. My only real gripe with IF is the smaller size of their beds Vs The Stena Horizon or Pont Avon but for one night it's not a biggie and I'm over 6 foot and almost 100kg.

2*
    - Situated above the water line on Decks 5, 6 and 8
    - En-suite, A/C, 2 beds and 2 pull down bunks
    - NOT suitable for cots
    - These cabins have a window

3*
    - Situated above the water line on Deck 5
    - Air conditioned, en-suite with 2 beds and 2 pull down bunks
    - Suitable for a cot
    - Colour TV with a choice of satellite channels

If you need to erect a cot you need a 3*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks,
    Based on your experience would it be silly to book the ferry now without having booked accomadation? 29th June to 12th July. Thanks.

Bif wrote: »
    Folks,
    Based on your experience would it be silly to book the ferry now without having booked accomadation? 29th June to 12th July. Thanks.
    Personally I don't think so. In general there is more constraint on the supply of ferry capacity than campsite capacity. If you are certain of your sailing dates you can then search away for the right destination. Between now and Xmas is one of the quietest booking periods for campsites, in fact many don't even put up next years schedule until October as they are still open for another week or so this season.

I've done it both ways over the years and it's always worked out i.e. book the campsite first then find transport to match and vice versa.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is the 10% discount gone? It is not coming up now when I check?

Please disregard....rang them and sorted....

I know that you are sorted but as an FYI for others coming later - the email I received states:
    10% off if you book before December 1st and travel anytime from January 10th until December 16th 2016. Book now with just €100 deposit, balance payable 42 days before travel . New bookings only and subject to availability. Cannot be used with other offers or promotions. Terms & conditions of booking and travel apply. See irishferries.com for details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

2 Things

First - just want to say Thanks to everyone on this Thread for all the advice. We have now booked our first Ferry / Camping Family Holiday ! IF Rosslare to Cherbourg and return and Eurocamp.

Second - question for a friend not on Boards who is also thinking of doing this type of holiday - which other Holiday Companies besides Eurocamp would do Mobiles with an Oven and a flexible change-over day ?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I looked at landbridge this year and it was more expensive than the direct crossings even before taking the cost of fuel into account. Now I was looking at routes into Cherbourg, St Malo, Caen etc - it might be cheaper via Calais, but Calais is not convenient for anywhere in western France.

In my experience the only difference between 2* and 3* cabins is the space between the beds and the 3* has an old portable telly. My only real gripe with IF is the smaller size of their beds Vs The Stena Horizon or Pont Avon but for one night it's not a biggie and I'm over 6 foot and almost 100kg.

2*
    - Situated above the water line on Decks 5, 6 and 8
    - En-suite, A/C, 2 beds and 2 pull down bunks
    - NOT suitable for cots

3*
    - Situated above the water line on Deck 5
    - Air conditioned, en-suite with 2 beds and 2 pull down bunks
    - Suitable for a cot
    - Colour TV with a choice of satellite channels

If you need to erect a cot you need a 3*.

Thanks, I am booking a 3* on IF but was wondering on Stena is the 4 berth outside/inside cabin big enough? It is about 80 quid cheaper on Stena but is it better to pay the 80 euro and have comfort on IF.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks, I am booking a 3* on IF but was wondering on Stena is the 4 berth outside/inside cabin big enough? It is about 80 quid cheaper on Stena but is it better to pay the 80 euro and have comfort on IF.....

How much time will you spend in the Cabin apart from sleeping ? For me that would be also a deciding factor. Btw I have no experience of either IF or Stena but have just booked with IF for next summer based on arrival and departure times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I thought that with the loss of the discount with Stena that next year was going to work out very expensive but after a bit of re-jigging of my dates I am going to sail with IF on a Tuesday which docks in Cherbourg @ 11am (as opposed to Stena which docks @ 4.30pm). And I'm returning with BF to Cork on the Friday week. So its the same length holiday as this year but with a more relaxing drive due to the earlier docking. Also less than an hours drive when I get home as opposed to 3 hours from Rosslare. So it all adds up to €700. Only about €60 dearer than this year using Stena over and back with the 25% discount

Win Win for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

SusanC10 wrote: »
    2 Things

First - just want to say Thanks to everyone on this Thread for all the advice. We have now booked our first Ferry / Camping Family Holiday ! IF Rosslare to Cherbourg and return and Eurocamp.

Second - question for a friend not on Boards who is also thinking of doing this type of holiday - which other Holiday Companies besides Eurocamp would do Mobiles with an Oven and a flexible change-over day ?

Thanks in advance.

Ive booked with Lifestlye holidays for the first time for 1st 2 weeks of june in Le Sirene , usually we go with eurocamp/siblu or yelloh but price was considerably cheaper with L H. Mobile looks great with A/C, decking and decent kitchen including oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

For people who don't travel well, is it better to get an inside or an outside cabin?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Any sign of the code for Stena from the Ploughing championship?

Looked back a few days but didn't see anything.....

Hi

We came home with Stena last year and had 4 berth inside cabin which is much bigger than IF, beds wider and more space to move around - had no problem with Stena cabins -

IF cabins are narrow and cramped. IF has "entertainment" and no people sleeping is public areas - Stena has open seating, no entertainment and people passed out asleep everywhere which is not great but the cabins are better to sleep in.

We are going to sail with Brittany next year as they were cheaper than IF

Bif wrote: »
    Folks,

If your not set on which campsite you want it might be ok but I had already booked our campsite with Eurocamp for next June and when I was trying to move dates around to get better price on ferry our campsite was already fully booked for our caravan type and we couldn't change the dates - so it's hard to decide what to do ? Maybe if your booking directly with campsite it might be different ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    2 Things

Thanks in advance.

Al Fresco are another company, used them last year and were a lot cheaper than others for same camp & dates, Canvas are another company I've heard of and a lot of people book directly with the campsites owners.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I looked at landbridge this year and it was more expensive than the direct crossings even before taking the cost of fuel into account.
    I'm not being smart but if it was more expensive and took longer why did you book it? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭insullation

Looking to go to camping in France next year too for the first time but these ferry prices are extortionate in my opinion. Flying and renting a car has to be comparable and also the time saving. Keeping an eye on ryanair and I am seeing suitable flights for 5 of us for around 500 euros. If I could get away without hiring a car I would have 500 euros to spend on taxi and still it would be cheaper than the quote for the ferry.

Phoebas wrote: »
    For people who don't travel well, is it better to get an inside or an outside cabin?

Outside. Having a reference point to see the water/sky/land is helpful in my experience. Also, less claustrophobic.

• Advertisement

Looking to go to camping in France next year too for the first time but these ferry prices are extortionate in my opinion. Flying and renting a car has to be comparable and also the time saving. Keeping an eye on ryanair and I am seeing suitable flights for 5 of us for around 500 euros. If I could get away without hiring a car I would have 500 euros to spend on taxi and still it would be cheaper than the quote for the ferry.

True BUT

With your own car you have the following advantages:-
    - No taxi charges to and from the airports or parking fees at the airport.
    - You get to bring ALL your own stuff.
    - You get to bring your family bikes (two weeks rental of four bikes can be very expensive. IIRC it's about €15 a day per bike but that's just my memory of the price list this year. I've never had to rent bikes myself so perhaps it's cheaper)
    - You get to bring home loads of good value wine. (The wine I brought home this year would cost €450 more here than I paid for it there)

The convenience of leaving home and being in your campsite with a rental car within a few hours is definitely tempting and if you're tight for time it might effectively add a couple of days to your holiday as you don't have a full days travel to your destination. (From leaving Dublin at say 1pm on a Friday it usually takes us until 3pm next day to get to St Jean de Monts for example)

Advertisement