Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

IF doing a 10% off if you book for 2016 before Dec 16th.

10% off if you book before December 1st and travel anytime from January 10th until December 16th 2016. Book now with just €100 deposit, balance payable 42 days before travel . New bookings only and subject to availability. Cannot be used with other offers or promotions. Terms & conditions of booking and travel apply. See irishferries.com for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

loyatemu wrote: »
    I looked at landbridge this year and it was more expensive than the direct crossings even before taking the cost of fuel into account. Now I was looking at routes into Cherbourg, St Malo, Caen etc - it might be cheaper via Calais, but Calais is not convenient for anywhere in western France.
    em.
    If you want to get to the rump end of Britanny, then driving to almost holland first isnt indeed a great idea. Doesnt take a genious to know that.

on the other hand, if going from Roscoff to South of France, its almost an identical distance as going from Calais. To somewhere like Bordeaux its only 170km longer from Calais than Cherbourg. The extra petrol cost when on the continent is maybe 15 euro - so not a biggie. And if youre driving 690km on the wrong side of the road, the difference to 860km is not gigantic.

Landbridge for 2adults 2 kids via Calais is €225 midweek at the height of Summer.
    I'm seeing €530 for a price in July for similar incl cabin.
    Grand, when you add in a tank of petrol across england (or half a tank if running an efficient car) and an overnight somewhere, the differences narrow. But you are on holiday so why not actually see some of England when passing through, stop in the cotswolds, visit peppa pig world or alton towers or whatever.
    Getting a visit to relatives or friends in England en route can also be a bonus (or free overnight!) . Or taking the DFDS to Dunkirk a few minutes north of Calais, just divert up to Bruges which is only 70km away from where you land.

If you want to make excuses against the Landbridge then fine. But if you take it as a bit of a road trip that at the worst of it pays for itsself and maybe saves a few euro overall, then it can be a worthwhile offer.

I've done both ferry and landbridge either once or twice return per year for the past 5 years and both have plusses and minuses

EDIT: another advantage of Landbridge is that it is a fixed price.
    So that midweek price of €225 for July or August is available to book up to a week before travel. There is virtually no advantage to booking in advance.

If you want to book accomodation now and play chicken with the direct ferry prices over the next months, you can fall back on knowing you can go the landbridge for a known cost, even if it isnt something you'd prefer to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

If you want to book accomodation now and play chicken with the direct ferry prices over the next months, you can fall back on knowing you can go the landbridge for a known cost, even if it isnt something you'd prefer to do.

Well worth remembering, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Looking to go to camping in France next year too for the first time but these ferry prices are extortionate in my opinion. Flying and renting a car has to be comparable and also the time saving. Keeping an eye on ryanair and I am seeing suitable flights for 5 of us for around 500 euros. If I could get away without hiring a car I would have 500 euros to spend on taxi and still it would be cheaper than the quote for the ferry.
    Hi ,you make very valid points regarding fly/drive and also i agree with je suis jean reply. To add my view i feel that if we were to fly then the soul would go out of our holiday. Yes its longer, tolls and more driving but most people who use the ferry do it because they love doing it. We ve met so many other families both going and returning on the ferry and you really feel than your part of a holiday club.We have friends coming with us for their first camping holiday next june for 2 weeks
    and ive told them once you do it you ll keep doing it. Looking forward to bringing them over the fantastic Milau viaduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

To add my view i feel that if we were to fly then the soul would go out of our holiday.
    Couldn't agree more. Planning what to bring, getting the roof box and bikes organised and packing up the morning of the trip really makes the holiday something of a combined family effort and I can absolutely confirm that as far as we are concerned the holiday starts as soon as we hit Rosslare (or Cork) and stop for that pre departure meal. On board the kids always end up hooking up with someone they recognise from previous trips (or just randomly meet others their own age) and myself and my other half totally chill out on the boat with a few drinks and a good read etc

Sleeping in the cabins is also a bit of an experience for the family. It's not exactly Glamping but it has kind of a camping vibe. We all head back to the room around 11:30pm, get organised and generally get a good nights sleep before disembarking the following morning in France and even though there is a 4-5 hour (or longer) trip ahead it's an easy journey as you enjoy the French countryside and stop off once or twice for food/coffee etc.

When we get onsite the whole unloading is always a bit if craic as you try and figure how to set everything up but the satisfaction of having done that, having all the clothes, personal effects (we being loads of kitchen stuff, tablets, laptops, beach toys etc) and your own bikes makes that first meal on the campsite that night even better in my view.

After writing the above I'm already anxious to get back. Only 285 days to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

em.
    If you want to get to the rump end of Britanny, then driving to almost holland first isnt indeed a great idea. Doesnt take a genious to know that.

on the other hand, if going from Roscoff to South of France, its almost an identical distance as going from Calais. To somewhere like Bordeaux its only 170km longer from Calais than Cherbourg. The extra petrol cost when on the continent is maybe 15 euro - so not a biggie. And if youre driving 690km on the wrong side of the road, the difference to 860km is not gigantic.

Landbridge for 2adults 2 kids via Calais is €225 midweek at the height of Summer.
    I'm seeing €530 for a price in July for similar incl cabin.
    Grand, when you add in a tank of petrol across england (or half a tank if running an efficient car) and an overnight somewhere, the differences narrow. But you are on holiday so why not actually see some of England when passing through, stop in the cotswolds, visit peppa pig world or alton towers or whatever.
    Getting a visit to relatives or friends in England en route can also be a bonus (or free overnight!) . Or taking the DFDS to Dunkirk a few minutes north of Calais, just divert up to Bruges which is only 70km away from where you land.

If you want to make excuses against the Landbridge then fine. But if you take it as a bit of a road trip that at the worst of it pays for itsself and maybe saves a few euro overall, then it can be a worthwhile offer.

I've done both ferry and landbridge either once or twice return per year for the past 5 years and both have plusses and minuses

If you don't mind the driving landbridge is probably fine - if you're willing to drive down to the Med then a drive across England isn't going to bother you. I suspect the majority of Irish holiday makers are heading for Britanny, Vendee and Charente though and I don't think Landbridge is a great option for those.

People generally underestimate the cost of driving - ViaMichelin reckons it's €140 more in fuel and tolls to drive to Bordeaux from Holyhead than from Cherbourg - that's 280 extra return before you factor in on-the-road costs. Also I'd rather drive on the right in France than any distance on English motorways :) YMMV (literally in this case).

I've done IF 6 or 7 times now and TBH I'm getting a bit weary of it - it's a floating creche, the adult entertainment is terrible, and it's getting very expensive. Suffering through the airport and spending an extra couple of nights on site is looking more attractive...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

YMMV ??

Did I miss something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Your Mileage May Vary!

Doh moment forfriday, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

If you click into your 'Manage my Booking', and click amend your booking you get the option to 'Pay the Balance'. You get two options: 1) to pay the remaining balance ; and 2) to pay an installment and choose the amount to pay off the balance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Anyone know if Eurocamp show all availability yet for 2016? I am searching thru first 2 weeks in July and looking for sites with their "Aspect" mobile homes but only a few coming up, even when I search back in May and June I still don't see all the sites I know have these mobiles?

We stayed in one of the Aspect's this year and it was luxury... Couldn't settle for less next year, wife wouldn't be happy.

Considering going further south this time around but just weighing all up. We booked the mobile late this year as I had got the Stenaline on the ploughing discount but looking like IF might be cheaper option this time around, disappointed in Stena that they didn't so similar offer.

Thanks to everyone for all the input in this thread, this will be our 3rd year now going after BA got us on LD Lines in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Thinking of getting the ferry out and the landbridge back. Fancy something a bit different.
    Or should we do it vice versa? End of June

with the 10% off on Irish ferries I suppose this is the time to book

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

juneg wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the ferry out and the landbridge back. Fancy something a bit different.

The drive through England is brutally long. Unless you plan to stop over somewhere and make it part of the holiday, I wouldn't recommend it - especially at the end of the trip, when everyone is running out of steam (and maybe had enough of each others' company.)

My preference for the Oscar Wilde is partly for that. Get on board, spread out and relax and enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Anyone know if Eurocamp show all availability yet for 2016? I am searching thru first 2 weeks in July and looking for sites with their "Aspect" mobile homes but only a few coming up, even when I search back in May and June I still don't see all the sites I know have these mobiles?

We stayed in one of the Aspect's this year and it was luxury... Couldn't settle for less next year, wife wouldn't be happy.

Considering going further south this time around but just weighing all up. We booked the mobile late this year as I had got the Stenaline on the ploughing discount but looking like IF might be cheaper option this time around, disappointed in Stena that they didn't so similar offer.

Thanks to everyone for all the input in this thread, this will be our 3rd year now going after BA got us on LD Lines in 2014.

I would phone them - they are very helpful. 021 4252300.

First Up wrote: »
    The drive through England is brutally long. Unless you plan to stop over somewhere and make it part of the holiday, I wouldn't recommend it - especially at the end of the trip, when everyone is running out of steam (and maybe had enough of each others' company.)

My preference for the Oscar Wilde is partly for that. Get on board, spread out and relax and enjoy the trip.
    I have to admit that the drive in England can be bad and we have got stuck twice on the M25 by Heathrow, mainly as our satnav starting acting the maggot and not display the traffic jam properly (TMC pro that requires constant signal as their alert window is only 15 minutes and a jam can dissappear due to reception issues rather than better traffic conditions!)

That said, the last time we did landbridge we took the later ferry out of Dublin arring at 7pm or whatever time it was. Kids were in a coma before we even left the ferryport and we had a nice quiet drive to south of Birmingham for the night and then time the run to miss London rush hour. If you've more stamina then getting to the far side of London is an even better option (Dartford is 5 1/2 hours and then a straight road to the port/ tunnel).
    Waking up the far side of London and driving to the port in the morning against the main flow of traffic is an easy drive, and once on the toll roads in France outside of the few mental holiday exoduses, its an easy drive there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Two years ago went out direct then back via landbridge, mainly so this eejit could tick the 'take the car through the tunnel' box and the kids could take in the Dr. Who Experience in Cardiff. Turned out to be a cracking w/end tacked on to a fine 12 nights in France. My first time in Cardiff which wasn't a bunch of lads, rugby and rugby and my first time in more then ten visits actually seeing the place. Fine town.

The journey across the UK is a drag, but we'd do it again, but break the travel up differently - find something worth a visit in the UK but not so far West. Or maybe even split it into 2 overnights in 2 different locations.

On our way over this year we did the breaking the journey up bit by taking in Normandy and the historical attractions there before heading to Paris for 2 nights to do city sights & shopping for the ladies and Disney for self and the young lad. Then on to usual mobile site in Vendee for 10/11 nights. Direct home.

I doubt we'll ever go direct out/direct back again. There's such a lot to see if you're willing to break the journey up a bit and/or if you get a bit stir crazy after a week in the one spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Did the land bridge route a good few years back, was thinking maybe we would do it this year, but when we took in petrol expenses and ferry prices it was cheaper to do direct from Rosslare, which we did and it was very relaxing, the longest was the drive to Rosslare about 3 hrs and then about 2 hrs the other side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

On the other hand,

Looking at the chaos in Calais this Summer caused by the migrant crisis and the subsequent tailbacks through the UK this might not be the year to be gadding around Europe?

I had been thinking of Uk route over if we went to Eastern France( Jura ) see a bit of Switzerland and Germany.

The migrant crisis with people literally walking up through Europe might be a hundred times worse next Summer. Its something to seriously consider I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Anything that breaks up the slog from Holyhead to the chunnel or the UK ferry ports is recommended. I've been stuck in a few tailbacks on the M5 and M25 and they sure aint fun. I would only do it again if I had a specific reason to visit somehere in the UK.

The migrant stuff at Calais has fallen off the news but I don't know if it has gone away. I haven't heard of any problems at Cherbourg or Roscoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eabhaniamh

Hi, looking for feedback from anyone who has used the IFA discount with Stena Line.Not a member of IFA but my Dad is and wondering could we use his name and number to try get discount off ferry price. I tried putting it in online and got a discounted quote but just wondering how strict they are about it at check in. My Dad will not be coming with us and terms and conditions state named IFA member must be passenger on the booking. Could I chance it and hope they don't check it out? Alternatively could add my Dad to booking even though he wont be coming. Would still be cheaper than booking just ourselves without the discount.I could cancel him later on or just tell them when checking in that he isn't travelling. Any opinions. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

juneg wrote: »

I was looking at the landbridge but have opted against it.

I'll be ticking two-items off my Bucket-List in France 2016 and would rather spend that time cycling in France than wasted driving toward Calais and across the UK before reaching Irish soil again. Once I reach Irish-soil again it's going to be head-down & focused again to ensure I Graduate with a 1st Class Honors in my H-Dip the following April! We all have our reasons, but I'll be opting for either Roscoff or Cherbourg for my return and spending the time I would've spent travelling in the UK, staying in France instead and all that will bring personally.

Weight up your options and plans and see which would suit you best,
    kerry4sam

We have already booked with Eurocamp but Friends of ours are currently looking for a campsite in France for July 2016.

Is this a comprehensive list of the Camping Holiday Companies covering France ? (May also help others considering this type of holiday)

Eurocamp
    Kelair
    Canvas
    Yelloh Village
    Al Fresco
    Siblu
    Lifestyle Holidays
    or
    Direct with an Individual Campsite.

Are we missing anything ?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Venue Holidays
    Vacansoleil
    Quest en France
    Roan Holidays

We booked with ms-vacances last year, they only have three sites though. We stayed in Les Brunelles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

Sunelia. We have boked direct for the last two years. they have about twenty camps throughout France and Europe. They had Eurocamp, Canvas and Matthews mobile and pitches within the camps.

Thanks everyone ! So....

Eurocamp
    Kelair
    Canvas
    Yelloh Village
    Al Fresco
    Siblu
    Lifestyle Holidays
    Venue Holidays
    Vacansoleil
    Quest en France