Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

If you want to try booking direct with a mobile home owner on one of the managed sites it's well worth trying http://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/french_lets_1.html. You deal directly with the owners and agree everything with them. Lot's of Irish owners on there which can be a good/bad thing.

Advantages are the mobiles are generally furnished to a higher standard and contain more equipment, some even include bikes, Sky TV etc and I've even seen one with a moped plus you can often agree custom arrival and departure dates eg arrive Wednesday leave Friday.

Disadvantages are you really haven't any idea who you're dealing with so no practical comeback if you are scammed in anyway or the mobile isn't as good as described, management on site won't be able to help much if there are any problems with the mobile home and private rentals generally don't include access to the pool complex or kids clubs so you have to purchase access to these separately onsite so bear that in mind when comparing prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

If you want to try booking direct with a mobile home owner on one of the managed sites it's well worth trying http://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/french_lets_1.html. You deal directly with the owners and agree everything with them. Lot's of Irish owners on there which can be a good/bad thing.

Advantages are the mobiles are generally furnished to a higher standard and contain more equipment, some even include bikes, Sky TV etc and I've even seen one with a moped plus you can often agree custom arrival and departure dates eg arrive Wednesday leave Friday.

Disadvantages are you really haven't any idea who you're dealing with so no practical comeback if you are scammed in anyway or the mobile isn't as good as described, management on site won't be able to help much if there are any problems with the mobile home and private rentals generally don't include access to the pool complex or kids clubs so you have to purchase access to these separately onsite so bear that in mind when comparing prices.

We booked with directholidayhomes in 2013, stayed in Les Charmettes. We got 5 bikes and sky tv, it worked out fine but if it's Siblu don't forget to add on passes to pool etc. Some owners will include them but they're expensive enough if you have to buy them.
    My mum booked the same year with http://www.holidayinsouthwestfrance.com/ they have some lovely mobiles and they're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone ! So....

Eurocamp
    Kelair
    Canvas
    Yelloh Village
    Al Fresco
    Siblu
    Lifestyle Holidays
    Venue Holidays
    Vacansoleil
    Quest en France
    Roan Holidays
    MS Vacances
    Sunelia
    Les Castels
    or
    Direct with an Individual Campsite.

Alan Rogers is an excellent site also

Add Hello France to that list. Have used them 5 or 6 times and always happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Hiya guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has booked there ferry with Irish Ferries yet and intend on using the Tesco vouchers? We booked ours yesterday and it's saying that we've to pay the balance by next week. I thought you could pay it 42 days before you were to sail?

j_mo wrote: »
    Hiya guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has booked there ferry with Irish Ferries yet and intend on using the Tesco vouchers? We booked ours yesterday and it's saying that we've to pay the balance by next week. I thought you could pay it 42 days before you were to sail?

Did you book over the phone or online? You need to book by phone if you want to be sending in vouchers until the balance is due.

• Advertisement

I rang them up to make sure of that but there was no mention that the balance had to be paid off that quick. I rang Irish Ferries this morning and they said that it was the clubcard vouchers that needed to be sent in by the 6th and not the full balance. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Are you paying the deposit with vouchers? Anytime I've booked I've been able to send in vouchers until balance was due. I'd try ringing back and getting someone else, see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

j_mo wrote: »
    Hiya guys,

I booked with Irish Ferries last week, paid the €100 Deposit with Card and the Balance is due 42 days before departure. I booked on the phone and intend to use some Tesco Vouchers towards the Balance. Irish Ferries confirmed that I can pay a mix of Tesco Vouchers and Card from now until 42 days beforehand.

I phoned again now after reading your post above just to be sure and was told the same again.

Did you say that you were paying the Deposit with Tesco Vouchers ?

That's what I was wondering, if you pay the deposit with vouchers you have a week to send them in.

I rang them up a short while ago and they confirmed what was said by the last few posters in the thread and added that there is a glitch in their system. They take the vouchers up to 42 days prior to departure so happy days. Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

After much talking we are nearly ready to book......

Have Stena Line or IF but Stena is 100 cheaper

Just wondering for rooms are you better inside or outside? Do you actually see anything via the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Redgirl82 wrote: »

Just wondering for rooms are you better inside or outside? Do you actually see anything via the window?

Not really. Problem with some windows is people out on deck looking in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

We always prefer to have a window, it is less claustrophobic and nice to be able to see the weather and how close to land you are etc I wouldn't pay a massive premium for it though.

What is the Irish Ferries Epsilon like? It is going from Dublin to Cherbourg......

What is the Irish Ferries Epsilon like? It is going from Dublin to Cherbourg......

It looks to be similar in design to the Stena ship but I haven't heard any reports from anyone who has used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

As above, think it's more or less same boat to the Stena Line out of Rosslare. Not too bad, but not a huge amount of entertainment. Rooms are OK though but that's assuming IF have kept them in good condition. Other's that went on it may have more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

We've booked IF out without a window and Stena back with a window. Think a tenner in difference on Stena but €40 on IF.

We ended up close to the kennel's on our home trip this year on Stena and one dog barked the whole night - I complained the next morning and asked would they sort us with free brekkie to compensate but they just told me I should have come to them at the time - 1AM! All I wanted to do was pull the pillow over my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Hi All,

We are looking at trying to book a group of about 50-60 people on a ferry from Cork to Roscoff at the end of next July.
    Brittany Ferries cannot offer us a discount?
    I find this very strange. Has anyone else tried to make a group booking with them? They will offer if we all jump on a bus, but if people want to take their cars then its EUR1,200+ per family.

Although Irish Ferries have more awkward sailings we might just go with them as they are willing to play ball at least!

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brois

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the reason would be that you are looking to take up 30+ car lengths worth of limited parking space which they can then sell @1400 per family.

The ship running from Cork can take an incredible 2415 passengers BUT "only" 600 cars.
    So their issue is not lack of capacity for passengers but rather a quite large passenger capacity (which you can get a group discount on account of) but relatively low car carrying capacity.

They can take 1000 more passengers than the Oscar Wilde but 100 less cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Brois wrote: »
    Hi All,

We are looking at trying to book a group of about 50-60 people on a ferry from Cork to Roscoff at the end of next July.
    Brittany Ferries cannot offer us a discount?
    I find this very strange. Has anyone else tried to make a group booking with them? They will offer if we all jump on a bus, but if people want to take their cars then its EUR1,200+ per family.

Although Irish Ferries have more awkward sailings we might just go with them as they are willing to play ball at least!

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brois

I'd say the simple answer is that they do not need to as they will fill this ship regardless at full price. It is a common question here about getting discounts on BF and I have yet to see anyone posting any.

The most surprising thing is that another ferry company has not come into Cork and try compete with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Looking at booking Stena last week in July, coming back Aug 7th for family of 4. It's coming in at €869 compared to €1000 with IF. I'm wondering am I doing something wrong! I've put in Flexi fare. Granted, I'm going Rosslare Cherbourg rather than Dublin Cherbourg (live in Dublin) but a drive to Rosslare seems worth it! First time on a ferry. I'm a bad traveller. Two kids of 7 and 5. Booking a 4-berth outside cabin. Does that all sound ok? No campsite booked at all but I'm thinking ferry is more urgent. I will use some Tesco vouchers too I hope..
    Any advice appreiciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The Wife wrote: »
    Looking at booking Stena last week in July, coming back Aug 7th for family of 4. It's coming in at €869 compared to €1000 with IF. I'm wondering am I doing something wrong! I've put in Flexi fare. Granted, I'm going Rosslare Cherbourg rather than Dublin Cherbourg (live in Dublin) but a drive to Rosslare seems worth it! First time on a ferry. I'm a bad traveller. Two kids of 7 and 5. Booking a 4-berth outside cabin. Does that all sound ok? No campsite booked at all but I'm thinking ferry is more urgent. I will use some Tesco vouchers too I hope..
    Any advice appreiciated.

By bad traveller I assume you mean prone to sea sickness. You would be unlucky to get a bad crossing at that time of year. Personally I would pay the extra for IF as its a better ship but you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

It'll be interesting to watch the pricing and availability of crossings to France in June/July if Ireland qualify for the Euros on Sunday! Euros begin on June 10th

mattb74 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to watch the pricing and availability of crossings to France in June/July if Ireland qualify for the Euros on Sunday! Euros begin on June 10th

Northern Irish customers will already be driving up prices.

I hope this is ok to ask here or am I better off starting a separate thread as not about ferries, I am thinking going to Perpignan now just to make sure I get the weather. Bit of a trek I know but love my sun....

Is there any recommendations for campsites down there? there is a couple of friends going to fly in so we will have kids from 1-7 age range....

Beach would be nice and ability to cycle etc.,...I checked on Eurocamp and I guess I pick the area Roussillon?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

What's the best way to go about this?

Group of lads in there late 20's early 30's
    Advice from people who have done it before would be great.
    What's the cheapest option:

Fly to France, rent camper there?
    Costs: flights, rental, insurance, petrol.

Ferry to France or England, rent camper there?
    Costs: ferry/s, rental, petrol, insurance.

Rent camper in Ireland, ferry to France or England?
    Costs: ferry/s rental, petrol, insurance.

Buy Camper in Ireland, Ferry to France or England?
    Costs: camper, petrol, insurance.

Pitfalls to be aware of, things to avoid, things to make sure to do.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

We have not qualified yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

ger664 wrote: »
    We have not qualified yet.

:D I knew that was coming, just cause we haven't qualified doesn't mean we can't go.

Advertisement