Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Marronn05 wrote: »
    We arrived in France on Saturday. Took Irish ferries from Dublin on Friday. Just asked for passports at check in like all previous years - nothing different. It was the same as normal in Cherbourg too. Everyone wearing masks getting on and off ferry tho. There were around 70 cars of families on board. We're at a camp in Normandy, staff mostly wear masks but lots of outdoor entertainment etc.. having a lovely time :)

Thank you for the update and have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marronn05

54and56 wrote: »
    Any restrictions on use of the pool or other facilities?

There's a 50 person limit in the pool so you've to book your slot the day before. Pool is opened from 9am - 9pm in 1.5 hour slots, which includes sanitising time. When you go into the bar you've to wear a mask while in there but then can sit outside drinking it. There's an outdoor stage with entertainment which is great. The kids clubs have resumed but we're not sending ours.. they play outside in the playgrounds etc and there's hand sanitiser at every one..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Brittany Ferries are now taking bookings for summer 2021. I booked this morning, using the Credit Note.
    Price actually worked out cheaper than this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Managed to get a refund for one of my RCN from Brittany Ferries. Happy with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

raddo wrote: »
    Brittany Ferries are now taking bookings for summer 2021. I booked this morning, using the Credit Note.

Booked as well. Price would have been around 120 dearer but applied the 15% discount (not applicable for the accomodarion part) and it worked out a few quid cheaper than this year.
    They took the deposit off my credit card and applied the Credit Note for the balance, so I'm fully paid up for next July.
    Something to look forward to at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Booked as well. Price would have been around 120 dearer but applied the 15% discount (not applicable for the accomodarion part) and it worked out a few quid cheaper than this year.
    They took the deposit off my credit card and applied the Credit Note for the balance, so I'm fully paid up for next July.
    Something to look forward to at least.

What is this about 15% discount?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

When I cancelled this year and took the Credit Note option, I got an email the following week with a 15% discount (not on the accomodation cost) - I have travelled 7 or 8 tmes with them before but not sure if that had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

raddo wrote: »

extra sailing in 2021 from Cork to Roscoff on Wednesdays departing at 4pm and arriving in Roscoff at 8am Thursday.

• Overnight ferry departures twice a week
    • Saturday afternoon sailings on Pont-Aven
    • Wednesday evening sailings on Armorique (new for 2021)
    • A great choice of comfortable cabins

https://www.brittany-ferries.ie/ferry-routes/ireland-france-ferries/cork-roscoff

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I travelled to France on 29 June on the basis that the ferry company was now accepting tourists and that Leo Varadkar confirmed on 25 June that a "green list of countries will be published by 9 July, in coordination with the EU".
    I returned to Ireland to find that I need to complete a 14 day quarantine at a stated address. The excuse was "there is a new government".
    Did I do something wrong. I am not positive for covid19, I enter my country of residence but I have to impose self-quarantine on myself.
    Is this a common sense approach to curtailing a virus with no vaccine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We are supposed to sail on the 8th August, for 2 weeks.
    Email circulated today by HR at work ( Govt. Dept) advising people making unnecessary trips abroad to ensure they had 14 days leave in hand to quarantine after their return...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Email circulated today by HR at work ( Govt. Dept) advising people making unnecessary trips abroad to ensure they had 14 days leave in hand to quarantine after their return...

My wife said that it is worth the 14 day quarantine. Enjoy yourself and sit in your garden for 2 weeks afterwards. That's what we are doing. It ain't that bad.
    We have plenty of good wine, cider, cheeses and rillettes to keep us going.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marronn05

Scoondal wrote: »
    My wife said that it is worth the 14 day quarantine. Enjoy yourself and sit in your garden for 2 weeks afterwards. That's what we are doing. It ain't that bad.

We're due home August 3rd and it looks like we'll be doing the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    When I cancelled this year and took the Credit Note option, I got an email the following week with a 15% discount (not on the accomodation cost) - I have travelled 7 or 8 tmes with them before but not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Thank for you pointing this out, i found that email also... just saved €170. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

A couple of things on this

How are they going to enforce this?

And also say you have being working from home successfully since this began and this weekend you take unecessary travel to Dublin and frequent a pub and come in contact with a positive case and now you have to self-isolate for the good of the community - are you expected to take 14 days leave to do this self-isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I received the same memo this morning (also government employee)
    I moved our 5 week holiday from the start of June to the 1st of August at great expense and a lot of organising.
    I'm hoping France is on the Green List by the time I return on the 5th of September so I don't have to isolate for 2 weeks at my own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m confused by that- is the civil service memo just issued at a funny time, or are they saying you’ve got to quarantine regardless of the green list?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Green list means you don't have to quarantine BUT the government travel advisory to avoid non-essential still applies. Therefore your travel insurance may not cover the trip (and not just for covid-19 related claims).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This popped up on my facebook feed. Obviously very early to know the implications (and obviously Spain not France!)
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/spain-campsite-lockdown-250-tourists-22365749

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Music Box

Macy0161 wrote: »
    This popped up on my facebook feed. Obviously very early to know the implications (and obviously Spain not France!)
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/spain-campsite-lockdown-250-tourists-22365749
    Did the British campers get infected on the site or did they bring in the virus with them. Will the passengers on the ferry that brought them to northern Spain all be contacted or quarantined. Other than this incident, is northern Spain a Covid hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Music Box wrote: »
    Did the British campers get infected on the site or did they bring in the virus with them. Will the passengers on the ferry that brought them to northern Spain all be contacted or quarantined. Other than this incident, is northern Spain a Covid hotspot
    They're locked down pending testing. I guess that and the contact tracing will dictate. I guess it's just showing what could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

We have just boarded the WBY and are waiting to depart. No SD worries here, very few on the ferry. Those that are are mainly from NI by the looks of the car regs. Maybe one or two other families like us as far as we can see. Drove straight up to check in, and straight up on ferry from there. Stopped and a dog sniffed the car beforehand, but no questions or sense of judgement from the very friendly customs staff. Hope that the green list on Monday will mean we don’t have to isolate on return as we intend to keep entirely to ourselves while here. But if we have to we will...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

Did I do something wrong.

Well yes two things actually:-

1. You acted on a statement of intent. A Govt Minister saying the intention is to publish a green list on July 9th isn't the same as the green list being published. You jumped the gun heading away before the list was published. Even if the greenlist was published on July 9th what would your position be if having departed on June 29th France wasn't on the subsequently published list?

2. You departed whist the DFA advisory against all but essential travel was (and continues to be) in place.

There isn't an accepted playbook for best practice governance during a black swan type pandemic. Each country is developing policy based on it's own circumstances and available resources. Maybe our guys are hopeless, maybe they're not. They seem to be way better than the UK or USA but not as good as Spain or Germany etc.

We all want our holidays and understandably are frustrated that we can't / shouldn't be going overseas at least until the green list is published. The Govt are therefore under tremendous pressure to publish a green list of countries we can travel to. When they do there will be a sense of relief amongst many but that may quickly turn to anger if a 2nd wave develops and it is partly traced back to holiday makers going to the green listed countries and bringing Covid back with them.

I don't envy the Govt decision makers. In some ways they are goosed no matter what decision they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

On this...but unrelated to quarantine (as I can do that). Due to sail out in September - this is only a short trip already postponed from March and the main reason for the trip is to stock up on wines, cider, cheeses etc but I have resigned myself to the shopping experience during covid curtailing my ability for stocking up? Is this the case in FranceI? I would rather postpone the trip again than have to queue or be scorned at as a panic buyer with my overloaded trolleys. It seems such a trivial thing to worry about in these pandemic times and it's enough to put me off travelling (+_+)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

Is it possible to rebook the ferry that's due in August to next year? I'm with IF. Fully paid with the amendeed fee paid extra on top just incase.
    Or I'll be better of with a refund?

Dublin - Cherbourg via WBY. Can't travel due to employer enforcing quarantine no matter what the gov says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Is it possible to rebook the ferry that's due in August to next year? I'm with IF. Fully paid with the amendeed fee paid extra on top just incase.

Dublin - Cherbourg via WBY. Can't travel due to employer enforcing quarantine no matter what the gov says.

Not sure what legal grounds your employer , has to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Does your employer normally control what you do during your time off work?

If you’ve paid the flexi fare you can postpone until next year if you choose to, but is that your choice or your employer forcing you to?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

k123456 wrote: »
    Not sure what legal grounds your employer , has to do this

According to my friend that works at a lawyer, they have a right to do for they own safety and others.
    Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Does your employer normally control what you do during your time off work?

If you’ve paid the flexi fare you can postpone until next year if you choose to, but is that your choice or your employer forcing you to?

No they don't but there's many friendly people that will inform them about my holiday.
    They've told me that if I leave a country I'm stuck with 2 weeks of quarantine, no matter what gov says about quarantine.

Yes I do have the flex fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just pulled the plug on our France trip.

Was due to go on August 1st. Was travelling out with Brittany Ferries so have just amended booking to travel on 31 July 2021 instead.

Due to come home with IF, but looks like they'll be a little trickier. Seems like my only option is an insurance claim. Unless I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

Peckham wrote: »
    Just pulled the plug on our France trip.

Was due to go on August 1st. Was travelling out with Brittany Ferries so have just amended booking to travel on 31 July 2021 instead.

Due to come home with IF, but looks like they'll be a little trickier. Seems like my only option is an insurance claim. Unless I'm missing something?

We're due out August 1st also (having rescheduled from July 4th), do you mind me asking why you've pulled the plug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

According to the newspapers France won’t make the list. We are going anyway and will do the 14 days when we come back

Advertisement