Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the club class cabins and normal cabins? I have the impression from the website that the cabins were the same, but you have access to the club class lounge when you pay for the CC cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any difference between the club class cabins and normal cabins? I have the impression from the website that the cabins were the same, but you have access to the club class lounge when you pay for the CC cabin.

I really don't know, LadyLouth, I just book the cheapest 4 berth that's available :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

As I said on Spain thread, I'm thinking of how to deal with the balance between needing info on thread and moderating the constant debate on whether or not you should travel. For now, get back on topic about France ferries and campsites. I'll delete off topic posts. We may start a separate thread on that wider debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

dory wrote: »
    As I said on Spain thread, I'm thinking of how to deal with the balance between needing info on thread and moderating the constant debate on whether or not you should travel. For now, get back on topic about France ferries and campsites. I'll delete off topic posts. We may start a separate thread on that wider debate.

There was already a separate thread called "Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?" which seemed to handle that topic well but it was closed.

Well, we are travelling first week in August, have 7 nights planned near Utah beach, as I want to visit some of the WW2 sites again, and then we'll head for Bayeux and just pop along from one little seaside village to another for another week.
    Always buy the yellow guide to the markets/antique markets/ flea markets and try and hit a few of them too.
    Local agri/rural shows are hard to track down, but we've attended a few and they are a joy to behold... often you'd be the only foreigner there.

• Advertisement

There was already a separate thread called "Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?" which seemed to handle that topic well but it was closed.

When a thread gets the amount of reports that thread got it can't be considered handling it well.

I could reopen it and move it to the Covid forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

dory wrote: »
    When a thread gets the amount of reports that thread got it can't be considered handling it well.

I could reopen it and move it to the Covid forum?

I think there needs to be some form of thread where the issue can be discussed as it's a very hot topic which people want to talk through.

I'm due out on Saturday and had planned to go but then Dr Holohans messaging ramped up the "no travel" messaging so now I'm leaning towards not travelling not because I'm concerned about risk to myself (which I would intend to mange at least as well in France as I do here) but because if there is a spike/2nd wave and it's traced back to an influx of returning holiday makers I don't want to be one of the people who put other peoples lives at risk (those that catch Covid from returning holiday makers and HSE staff who have to treat it) just because I wanted to go on the one holiday I take per annum which is fully paid for.

There's a lot of anxiousness which isn't being addressed by clear Govt leadership and I for one want to see what other peoples thinking is.

I'd much prefer a clear policy statement from the Govt to say Yes we'll be implementing travel corridors to X, Y and Z countries from X date or No regardless of other EU countries or the UK it is our policy that there should be no foreign travel this summer. That clarity is missing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

54and56 wrote: »

I'd much prefer a clear policy statement from the Govt to say Yes we'll be implementing travel corridors to X, Y and Z countries from X date or No regardless of other EU countries or the UK it is our policy that there should be no foreign travel this summer. That clarity is missing at the moment.

there's a travel advisory in place, that's the policy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think there needs to be some form of thread where the issue can be discussed as it's a very hot topic which people want to talk through.

I'm due out on Saturday and had planned to go but then Dr Holohans messaging ramped up the "no travel" messaging so now I'm leaning towards not travelling not because I'm concerned about risk to myself (which I would intend to mange at least as well in France as I do here) but because if there is a spike/2nd wave and it's traced back to an influx of returning holiday makers I don't want to be one of the people who put other peoples lives at risk (those that catch Covid from returning holiday makers and HSE staff who have to treat it) just because I wanted to go on the one holiday I take per annum which is fully paid for.

There's a lot of anxiousness which isn't being addressed by clear Govt leadership and I for one want to see what other peoples thinking is.

Rightly or wrongly, I put Ferry to France and a couple of weeks self catering in a mobile home in a completely different bracket to going through airports, traveling on planes, using public transport, staying in a resort, sharing the breakfast buffet with a load of people who have arrived in from England etc.

Like yourself I have a decision to make over the next couple of weeks. I'm fortunate enough to work from home and can absolutely quarantine on return for 14 days no issue.

But the level of vitriol that has emerged over the last 3 or 4 days is something else and is really making me think and flip flop.

Only this time last week Leo was talking about Air Bridges and newspaper headlines the following day were stuff like "Up up and Away!". Felt then like we were coming out of lockdown locally, and the next natural progression was to open things up again in terms of travel. Then there's a gap between governments, and Tony Holohan (doing his job!) comes down hard on the idea. The tide turns, and blood is being spit at the notion anyone would even contemplate going abroad, like they are anti patriotic and want to kill their own grannies.

On a purely scientific level in terms of the risks of this particular type of holiday, they are low. Drive your own car onto a ferry. Isolate in your own cabin for the entire journey. Drive to a mobile home park without stopping. Hole up in a standalone mobile home not shared with anyone else. Stock up twice in the local supermarket. Spend your days on a quiet beach. Avoid the pool. Avoid the playground. Avoid restaurants. Drive back in your own car. Exit the ferry in Dublin and drive straight to your own house. Quarantine for 14 days if needs be.

The chances of contracting COVID in that scenario are extremely small. The chances of passing it on to anyone else in the country when you return are also extremely small.

However.. If there is a 2nd wave which analysis clearly shows is as a result of people travelling on higher risk holidays (planes, trains, buses, hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs).. then your holiday will be lumped in with that.

No idea what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

spockety wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly, I put Ferry to France and a couple of weeks self catering in a mobile home in a completely different bracket to going through airports, traveling on planes, using public transport, staying in a resort, sharing the breakfast buffet with a load of people who have arrived in from England etc.

Like yourself I have a decision to make over the next couple of weeks. I'm fortunate enough to work from home and can absolutely quarantine on return for 14 days no issue.

But the level of vitriol that has emerged over the last 3 or 4 days is something else and is really making me think and flip flop.

Only this time last week Leo was talking about Air Bridges and newspaper headlines the following day were stuff like "Up up and Away!". Felt then like we were coming out of lockdown locally, and the next natural progression was to open things up again in terms of travel. Then there's a gap between governments, and Tony Holohan (doing his job!) comes down hard on the idea. The tide turns, and blood is being spit at the notion anyone would even contemplate going abroad, like they are anti patriotic and want to kill their own grannies.

On a purely scientific level in terms of the risks of this particular type of holiday, they are low. Drive your own car onto a ferry. Isolate in your own cabin for the entire journey. Drive to a mobile home park without stopping. Hole up in a standalone mobile home not shared with anyone else. Stock up twice in the local supermarket. Spend your days on a quiet beach. Avoid the pool. Avoid the playground. Avoid restaurants. Drive back in your own car. Exit the ferry in Dublin and drive straight to your own house. Quarantine for 14 days if needs be.

The chances of contracting COVID in that scenario are extremely small. The chances of passing it on to anyone else in the country when you return are also extremely small.

However.. If there is a 2nd wave which analysis clearly shows is as a result of people travelling on higher risk holidays (planes, trains, buses, hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs).. then your holiday will be lumped in with that.

No idea what to do.

Completely agree and in a similar situation to yourself regarding driving to Europe.
    The vitriol and pontificating isn't making me reconsider however.
    It's having the opposite effect, and I'm now more determined to get away than I would have been if there was balanced discussion.
    Some of the moralising reminds me of what used to happen in Ireland in the 80s and 90s.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a travel advisory in place, that's the policy.

True but it's an advisory not compulsory. If it's so important why not put it on the same footing as the 2km or 5km lockdowns and policie it at airports and ports? Going on holiday? Turn around and go home. Going on essential travel e.g. driving a truck to export/import, going to see an ill family member on compassionate grounds etc? Carry on.

That would be clarity.

The Govt were signalling over the last few weeks that they would be publishing a list of countries which wouldn't require 14 day quarantine on return from but between the jigs and reels, including a switchover to a new Govt, the direction of travel in relation to that seems to be moving in the opposite direction with the CMO asking people not to go on foreign holidays and the incoming Govt not confirming the outgoing Govt's commitment to publishing the list on July 9th so we're in a sort of limbo with an advisory saying don't travel but EU Commission policy stating that intra EU travel is in fact safe to do provided social distancing protocols are adhered to, see https://www.irishnews.com/news/worldnews/2020/06/11/news/eu-urges-member-states-to-open-borders-from-monday-june-15-1971486/

Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If you don't quarantine for 14 days, it could be you though. You could pick it up on the ferry (to and from car decks/ getting a meal/ going to the shop), you could pick it up in a French supermarket, from others not being as careful as you.

Personally, I'd see the quarantine on return as the key thing to do to not to be that person. It doesn't matter what you do on the journey and holiday - that's what'll make the difference when you get back.

For our Family, what you outline as your behaviour to minimise risk would be the opposite of what we go to France for - the pools, the kids clubs, the children having the freedom to mix and make friends, even the couple of pints and naff "animations". That aspect only your own family can answer.

We made the call earlier when the French Campsite scheme was still in operation and our own road map was much more definitive past our departure dates. It's an awful financial and moral position to be in now for anyone still booked.

There's an entire forum for it, with threads specifically on whether or not you should travel.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058057467

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I was due out in late March when all the Cruise ships began to have outbreaks - I postponed until September based on that alone before all the **** hit the fan officially here - being onboard a ship for up to 20 hours could be unfortunately a breeding ground, and only if this whole thing starts getting out of hand again - which we all hope it won't.

I'm still deliberating over September but more hopeful for March 2021 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m still booked for the end of august, fully paid. Only a week ago I thought it was likely to go ahead, now the mood has changed. Very mixed messages - talking about EU airbridges one minute, and Dr Tony saying in one briefing that travel to an area with a similar rate is a similar risk (unless I totally misunderstood that?) to dr Tony saying don’t travel. Im not going to worry yet, things that were set in stone in phases changed, I’ll see where we’re at in august.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

For those still on the fence, theres deals to be had.
    We played chicken with Eurocamp/ Human company (and risking that the required dates might be booked out) but in the end prices did finally come down a bit more this week.
    The eurocamp.ie site is still very expensive, but thats always the case as their prices seem to be inflated to balance out generous voucher schemes.

Eurocamp.de though is very good value and we booked 2 weeks spread over 2 different sites in Italy. Until a day or 2 ago, Marina di Venezia was out of our price bracket and Altomincio was costing a decent amount more with eurocamp than through the operators direct, so the plan was leaning to a full 2 weeks stay in Altomincio booked through human travel. Then suddenly Eurocamp reduced the first place (5 star site with 6 pools, water slides, giant beach at the adriatic and ferry to venice a couple of minutes away) to within our budget and the week at Altomincio for less than what the operator was asking for.

For anyone wondering how it works with "foreign" eurocamp sites, it makes no difference at the campsite as the same staff deal with all customers, its only that you are dealing with that subsiduary for the bookings and that language in correspondance. The eurocamp 5% loyalty bonus doesnt carry from Irl to DE websites or vice versa. The positive though is that it doesnt expire, you can get it any time in the future, you just need to make sure you use the same email address the next time.
    Another difference doesnt matter so much now, but for next year could be helpful. With eurocamp.ie you need to pay the balance 3 months before your stay, with eurocamp.de its only 40 days (and seemingly the hard deadline is 2 weeks before) - so it could be a useful for those saving/ budgeting for the trip.

So, we are off to Italy in August!
    Quarantine on return isnt an issue as we live abroad in a country which is following agreed EU guidelines, and sensible logic, that traveling internationally to a country with a similar level of disease is no different to travelling internally to a different region within your own country with a similar level of disease. The weather though is different, and pizza better, in Italy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

one thing to be aware of with eurocamp.de; we were booked with them in April - when the virus broke out and our booking was cancelled they gave us a voucher whereas anyone booked with the .ie or .co.uk sites got a full refund. German travel industry policy was vouchers only and they wouldn't budge.

Due out to France with IF on Saturday and off to a Siblu campsite.

Was hoping the restriction on foreign travel and quarantining on return would be eased or there would be clear momentum towards that by the middle of this week but if anything the position in relation to holidaying abroad is hardening so I called Siblu yesterday and after a bit of "you should have cancelled no more than two weeks from arrival" I got them to move us back to early August and I then moved both the IF and Stena sailings online without any fuss. Paid a bit more for the August booking with Siblu, a bit more with IF for the early August sailing and got a refund from Stena for the late August sailing. Net was about €150 more which is grand for a bit more certainty and flexibility.

IMHO if the restrictions aren't lifted within the next 2 weeks they won't be getting lifted at all this summer as we'll then be into territory where the argument will be "sure the summer's nearly over, why lift it now and risk all the progress we've made" etc.

I don't want to argue the merits or otherwise of the current CMO advice and DFA travel advisory other than to say my families unanimous position is now firmly fixed. If our Govt lift the restrictions on holiday travel abroad we'll go. If they don't we won't.

Fingers crossed conditions/circumstances improve such that those who do want to get away can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

one thing to be aware of with eurocamp.de; we were booked with them in April - when the virus broke out and our booking was cancelled they gave us a voucher whereas anyone booked with the .ie or .co.uk sites got a full refund. German travel industry policy was vouchers only and they wouldn't budge.

And that’s why I book through cork. You might save a few quid via uk or Germany but It’s always easier dealing locally when things go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Gavlor wrote: »
    And that’s why I book through cork. You might save a few quid via uk or Germany but It’s always easier dealing locally when things go wrong.

Except for just now when there is seemingly nobody answering email. :(

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Except for just now when there is seemingly nobody answering email. :(

In fairness I’ve had a good bit of correspondence with them recently and they’ve been excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Just an update on eurocamp refunds. We got ours today after a 6 week wait which wasn't so bad. I had to send them a email after 5 weeks as I had no communication from them.

Cost for our fortnight via German eurocamp website was 2280 (before loyalty discount is applied)
    Cost for same dates and same accommodation with Irish website is 3142euro
    That’s more than a couple of euro of a difference.

Cost for our fortnight via German eurocamp website was 2280 (before loyalty discount is applied)

Is this for a cabin or mobile home on the site?

How’s it working out for you now? There’s generally a reason for such a differential.

Some drop in price in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marronn05

I have now booked Irish Ferries for July 10th and Siblu camp arriving the following day. I just want to be 100% sure my family won't be denied access to the ferry and lose all our money! I know a few ppl have said they can't do that, but has anyone been over and back to tell the tale? Stena line has on their web site only essential travel not tourism...? Booked with them for the return.... Is there any documentation needed at Dublin port apart from passports? Siblu campsite had no problem taking the booking and knew we were coming from Ireland. We will be isolating for 14 days on our return even if that requirement is lifted..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

We booked with .ie , eurocamp cancelled and are still waiting for our full refund the only update they could give us is that it will take a considerable amount of time.

How’s it working out for you now? There’s generally a reason for such a differential.

Some drop in price in fairness.
    I think the uk and Irish prices are higher as there are more voucher codes and sales than in the German site

If you get a code in spring for the Irish site for 40% off then in the end it’ll be cheaper. There’s no codes active now that I can find

Actually, another way of getting a deal in the corona period for a site you have your eye on is to check hotels.com or bookings.com. They had Altomincio for 2 weeks in mid August for about 1600, cleaning and linen included. We didn’t bite as it wasn’t clear if it was the annex (needing a bus to the pool) and I was being divorced if I fecked up the holiday after the spring and summer of home schooling !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

Marronn05 wrote: »
    I have now booked Irish Ferries for July 10th and Siblu camp arriving the following day. I just want to be 100% sure my family won't be denied access to the ferry and lose all our money! I know a few ppl have said they can't do that, but has anyone been over and back to tell the tale? Stena line has on their web site only essential travel not tourism...? Booked with them for the return.... Is there any documentation needed at Dublin port apart from passports? Siblu campsite had no problem taking the booking and knew we were coming from Ireland. We will be isolating for 14 days on our return even if that requirement is lifted..

We went yesterday Rosslare to Cherbourgh.
    Around 30-40 cars boarding apart of trucks.
    Needed only passports.
    Social welfare person with a guard were checking everyone if they are not claiming social welfare.
    On board face masks mandatory but in reality not visibly enforced and ignored by some once boarded.
    Bar open. Casino open after an hour from departure. Cinema open for up to 12 people. Public room for max 12 people. Food served in restaurant.
    All this is only from my observation as I haven't used the services listed above on board.
    Normal passport check on arrival in France.
    People in Cherbourgh town are keeping their distance, not many wearing face masks.
    We airbnb first two nights due to the rainy weather and to get the local experience before we hit the camp site on Sunday.

Advertisement