Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Dublin Mum wrote: »

Noticed on the 2021 timetable that the Friday night sailing from Roscoff now departs at 22.00/22.15 rather than the long established 20.30. Will give those travelling from the south a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Noticed on the 2021 timetable that the Friday night sailing from Roscoff now departs at 22.00/22.15 rather than the long established 20.30. Will give those travelling from the south a bit more time.

Later Friday night sailings are great, time to drive there and you’re not eating into holidays.
    Boarded the 23.30 Rosslare to Bilbao ferry last night. Lots of cars, caravans and motorhomes but hardly seeing anyone on board. Most people like ourselves are staying in their cabins apart from little walks and going out on deck for fresh air. Restaurant and bar area practically empty at all times apart from the odd table. Strict mask wearing everywhere but your cabin, and hand sanitiser everywhere. Feels very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

54and56 wrote: »
    You're not wrong there, they are much tighter than Stena or Brittany. It's hardly worth paying for.

PdljSW.md.jpg

Used to prefer Irish Ferries but they are really bad at the moment. Can't seem to get emails replied to. Or phone answered. Or a new booking made. Or a clear view of prices. Their Trust Pilot reviews are looking really bad too.
    Are Irish Ferries going bankrupt or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

This (government) site provides an overview of the situation. Give the map time to load, and you can then zoom in to see the data for each département.

I went to western Brittany (Finistere) at the end of June. Obviously I checked the covid19 situation before I went. At that time deaths were 50 out of a population of 3.3 million. Many times safer than Ireland.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    How bad are things in France at the moment? Is the area you’re travelling to have much disease? The ferry is a lot safer than a plane.

And France is much safer than Ireland, but just check out on the French government website. It details each départment regarding cases, deaths and trends. Much better than the fog that the Irish government puts out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Scoondal wrote: »
    I went to western Brittany (Finistere) at the end of June. Obviously I checked the covid19 situation before I went. At that time deaths were 50 out of a population of 3.3 million. Many times safer than Ireland.

Hmm. Not sure you were getting accurate information back then. The current number of deaths is 262 for Brittany, which although the region is one of the current hot-ish spots, it's not so bad that there have been four times as many deaths in July as for the whole of the previous four months! :eek:

In any case, the vast majority of new clusters are being linked to individual mass spreading events, particularly birthday parties and other family events which would obviously be closed to outsiders such as Irish tourists.

The current rate of infection is now at or about the same level it was when the confinement began to be downgraded, having gone down and come back up again. It'll take another couple of weeks for the effect of the wear-a-mask-everywhere measures to be reflected in the statistics.

In the meantime, from a practical holidaying point of view, there are only two things that you'd likely notice: signs telling you not to enter a shop until you're called (e.g. many boulangeries will have a 2- or 3-person limit) ; and your GPS going mental because a lot of streets have been temporarily pedestrianised, partially closed/made one-way or made "cycle priority". This is an effort to cut air pollution (linked to worse cases of Covid-19) and also to create more space for outdoor restaurant seating.

Hmm. Not sure you were getting accurate information back then. The current number of deaths is 262 for Brittany, which although the region is one of the current hot-ish spots, it's not so bad that there have been four times as many deaths in July as for the whole of the previous four months! :eek:

In any case, the vast majority of new clusters are being linked to individual mass spreading events, particularly birthday parties and other family events which would obviously be closed to outsiders such as Irish tourists.

The current rate of infection is now at or about the same level it was when the confinement began to be downgraded, having gone down and come back up again. It'll take another couple of weeks for the effect of the wear-a-mask-everywhere measures to be reflected in the statistics.

In the meantime, from a practical holidaying point of view, there are only two things that you'd likely notice: signs telling you not to enter a shop until you're called (e.g. many boulangeries will have a 2- or 3-person limit) ; and your GPS going mental because a lot of streets have been temporarily pedestrianised, partially closed/made one-way or made "cycle priority". This is an effort to cut air pollution (linked to worse cases of Covid-19) and also to create more space for outdoor restaurant seating.
    I was in Finistere. So I am wrong. 50 deaths out of 905,000 population. Mulitiply by 5 makes it 250 deaths in a population of 4.5 million. My original point stands ... Finistere is 5 times safer than Ireland.

Shops in Ireland have had signs about how many people are allowed inside. Large super markets in Quimper "advise" people to use face masks.
    However, in contrast to Ireland, foreign tourists are very much welcomed. France has no restrictions for Irish people entering their country. French passport control was very nice and friendly.

Shops in Ireland have had signs about how many people are allowed inside. Large super markets in Quimper "advise" people to use face masks.

It's not advice now - it's the law; and not just large supermarkets, but every shop and other commercial space, regardless of size, aswell as all public buildings and offices.

Morbihan re-introduced curfews for the beaches and town parks yesterday, as a result of too many young people congregating in the evenings, with an associated spike in infections. For the same reason, the département of Mayenne has re-introduced limits on crowd sizes - no more than 10 people at any gathering from now until further notice and extended the mask rule to include the outdoor spaces of the towns of Laval, Mayenne, Château-Gontier-sur-Mayenne and Évron. And the beaches of les Sables d'Olonnes will be subject to temporary day-time closures from Saturday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

For anyone who has travelled on the Pont Aven from Ringaskiddy to Roscoff in the last few weeks, what facilities are open on board and which ones are restricted or even closed?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

For anyone who has travelled on the Pont Aven from Ringaskiddy to Roscoff in the last few weeks, what facilities are open on board and which ones are restricted or even closed?
    Thanks

On 10th July the table sevice restaurant (Le Flora ) and piano bar were closed. Main bar open without entertainment, self service open with good meals. 5 people in the main bar and 2 barmen. Great service.

It's not advice now - it's the law; and not just large supermarkets, but every shop and other commercial space, regardless of size, aswell as all public buildings and offices.

Morbihan re-introduced curfews for the beaches and town parks yesterday, as a result of too many young people congregating in the evenings, with an associated spike in infections. For the same reason, the département of Mayenne has re-introduced limits on crowd sizes - no more than 10 people at any gathering from now until further notice and extended the mask rule to include the outdoor spaces of the towns of Laval, Mayenne, Château-Gontier-sur-Mayenne and Évron. And the beaches of les Sables d'Olonnes will be subject to temporary day-time closures from Saturday onwards.

Benodet and Quimper were very relaxed in early July. We had a great holiday and were made very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Uncle landed In Paris yesterday, no firms etc just wear a mask and cop on

Uncle landed In Paris yesterday, no firms etc just wear a mask and cop on

When did "airbridges" turn into "green countries". Total idiocy.

Benodet and Quimper were very relaxed in early July. We had a great holiday and were made very welcome.

That "very relaxed" situation is being blamed for the resurgence, hence the new tighter controls, especially in Brittany, Val-de-Loire, Vendée and the Côte d'Azur.

Tourists aren't being turned away or made to feel unwelcome, but the local authorities aren't taking any chances either.

Saint-Malo old town (and sea-front promenades) is the latest Breton site to have a "masks outside aswell as in" order put in place; and the whole of the département du Nord (Calais, Boulogne, Lille, etc) will have stricter rules announced tomorrow (local government there trying to control the spread of resurgent disease in neighbouring Belgium).

For perspective France and Spain just had their highest number of daily cases since June.
    Ireland just had their highest number of daily cases since May.
    Difference is France & Spain have had their border's open to all European countries since 15th of June and all bars, restaurants and nightclubs open.
    Ireland hasn't.

Difference is France & Spain have had their border's open to all European countries since 15th of June and all bars, restaurants and nightclubs open.

Not nightclubs! ;) Discos, nightclubs, tea-dances, ballroom dances, traditional/folk dances are banned until September at the earliest.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't dance to music that you just happen to know is being played in a particular location off the beaten track at a particular time on a particular day .... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Saint-Malo old town (and sea-front promenades) is the latest Breton site to have a "masks outside aswell as in" order put in place; and the whole of the département du Nord (Calais, Boulogne, Lille, etc) will have stricter rules announced tomorrow (local government there trying to control the spread of resurgent disease in neighbouring Belgium).

Pity. I love wandering about old town Malo stopping at far too many chocolate and pastry shops for my own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Irish Ferries now offering credit notes for 100% of your fare on sailings up to August 18th.

Can be used on sailings up to end of 2021, but booking must be made by end of 2020.

• Advertisement

Irish Ferries now offering credit notes for 100% of your fare on sailings up to August 18th.

Can be used on sailings up to end of 2021, but booking must be made by end of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Peckham wrote: »

I’m on the 21st! They keep sending marketing emails about September- I wonder are they being optimistic or do they know something we don’t know

Beanybabog wrote:
    I’m on the 21st! They keep sending marketing emails about September- I wonder are they being optimistic or do they know something we don’t know

Their policy keeps changing. Last week I was told my only option was a 50% refund in line with their standard T&Cs. That has changed in past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

The previous date was up to and including 4th August to cancel and get credit into 2021 now its the 18th which I think are the two dates for reviews of the green list due. Assume so they don't expect France will be on by the 4th

Jeffm587 wrote:
    The previous date was up to and including 4th August to cancel and get credit into 2021 now its the 18th which I think are the two dates for reviews of the green list due. Assume so they don't expect France will be on by the 4th

Think it's pretty safe to say that France won't be on the green list!

Don't believe a word Irish Ferries tell you.
    I fell for a similar trick earlier. They never answered the phone when i rang to cancel. Kept on hold at huge expense. Then I sent an email only to recieve a generic email back saying they would not get around to my email for min 13days...which would have been after the ferry sailed. Eventuslly got credit which seems to be useless becsuse I have to email Irish Ferries with the dates of new travel and when I do they dont get back on time. Absolute Joke. I strongly advise anyone not to use Irish Ferries....and I used to love them til all this! Stena seem much more on the case. Answer emails within 2 days and their phone line is a lot cheaper than Irish Ferries.
    Have a look at latest Irish Ferries reviews on Trust Pilot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

daesal wrote: »
    Don't believe a word Irish Ferries tell you.
    I fell for a similar trick earlier. They never answered the phone when i rang to cancel. Kept on hold at huge expense. Then I sent an email only to recieve a generic email back saying they would not get around to my email for min 13days...which would have been after the ferry sailed. Eventuslly got credit which seems to be useless becsuse I have to email Irish Ferries with the dates of new travel and when I do they dont get back on time. Absolute Joke. I strongly advise anyone not to use Irish Ferries....and I used to love them til all this! Stena seem much more on the case. Answer emails within 2 days and their phone line is a lot cheaper than Irish Ferries.
    Have a look at latest Irish Ferries reviews on Trust Pilot.com
    Are you referring to their 0818 number? Whilst not free, it's not a premium number anymore and should be included within your minutes allowance if applicable

Hey guys,

I got advice here last October when I was originally booking about a campsite down south that I could make a stop on the way to Puy Du Fou and le Littoral was recommended.
    While I know some people here will think I'm the worst in the world but we travel today as I have four different campsites booked and the ferry with all different companies so while some we're offering vouchers others were saying they would only cancel if I could prove my ferry was cancelled, which it's not. So I couldn't afford to lose more than 50% of our holiday.
    Anyway I'm basically looking for some tips and advice on Le Littoral and the surrounding areas please.
    I would appreciate it if some of you could hold back on the judgemental comments as I'm already hearing that from family and at the end of the day we still want to enjoy our holiday without even more of a damper being put on it.

Thanks

webpal wrote: »
    Are you referring to their 0818 number? Whilst not free, it's not a premium number anymore and should be included within your minutes allowance if applicable

Be very very careful,thats what i thought!

0818 Numbers are NOT INCLUDED in many allowances, they are only included if you have landline inclusive bundle:
    "Calls to 0818 numbers are not free. 0818 numbers can cost you from 5c to 50c per minute depending on whether you're calling from a landline or a mobile. Click here to see what the cost of calling 0818 numbers from most phone (landline and mobile) companies in Ireland." [SOURCE: Say no to...]

Irish Ferries charge a much higher rate than 5c!!

• Advertisement

But really the big issue is how they "honour" the voucher scheme.

My experience is below, but also read the Irish Ferries Reviews on Trust Pilot.com

No- I'm mainly referring to the fact that they don't reply to the emails or phone in time so it wouldn't have been possible for me to cancel. I ended up driving to Dublin to cancel before my intended ferry left (emails cannot be answered for up to 13 days sometimes 21!) .
    There is no proof of the credit refund, I asked for a receipt at the Irish Ferries office in Dublin Port and the woman there said that she did not have to give me any written confirmation, it was linked to my reference no.But could not show me anywhere I had proof if the credit, or how much it is for. I think this non transparent system is open to abuse.
    Also Irish Ferries do not let you use the "voucher" on the website. You have to email or ring Irish Ferries and give them your exact travel dates and they will change the booking and charge you for it. I have emailed Irish Ferries numerous times to make a new booking and they have either not responded in acknowledgement of the new booking or responded AFTER my intended travel dates so I have missed the ferry!....and they still have the money.
    It is completely untrustworthy, they seem to be unaccountable to this. The phone charged are only a tiny problem...but one that has cost a lot too.

Advertisement