Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ab4248 wrote: »
    Thanks First Up, Lucena and nkay1985. Going to stick with Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde. Getting 4 bed 3* cabin. Will pre-buy meal vouchers as I am paying the whole lot with clubcard vouchers and I can include the meal package. Thanks again.

We have travelled with Irish ferries for last 3,years. Usually book the 5* cabin as room for the kids to play and sleep together. Dinner in the left bank as kids want hot dogs:).

The steak house is not great, the more expensive one is nice but not for kids.

Temporary tattoos are great, we usually buy toys in symths the weekend before.

Driving is grand there. But note MacDonalds is all we can find on the road from the ferry to les mathes. We stay with siblu les charmettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We have travelled with Irish ferries for last 3,years. Usually book the 5* cabin as room for the kids to play and sleep together. Dinner in the left bank as kids want hot dogs:).

The steak house is not great, the more expensive one is nice but not for kids.

Temporary tattoos are great, we usually buy toys in symths the weekend before.

Driving is grand there. But note MacDonalds is all we can find on the road from the ferry to les mathes. We stay with siblu les charmettes.

For the car u need:
    - the triangle
    - spare light bulbs
    - alcohol drink testing kit
    - high viz jacket
    - stickers for ur car lights on front of car. But only stick them on if driving bin the dark. We never use them as usually back on site before 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Ferry booked at last. It was so expensive that I couldn't afford more than a 2* cabin. €1065 for 2 adults and two kids July 23rd. On the Elysium with IF. I booked over the phone and stupidly presumed that as I was using the Tesco tokens I wouldn't get the France2016 discount with the code, so never asked. Now I see here I would have! I live and learn. Have to start reducing that price so I'll be living in Tesco from now until July

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭insullation

Just a warning to users who depend on getting Tesco club card points through there Tesco credit card that Tesco bank in the uk recently reduced points earned by these means. In the uk you now only get 1 club card point for every 8 pound spent on Tesco credit. It's to do with EU credit card charges that have now been capped. Tesco likely to do something similar here in the near future I'd imagine
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/tesco-slashing-clubcard-points-28million-6373032

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just looking for a bit of advice from those of you who camp in France. 2016 will be our third year in a row holidaying in France but we've always just stayed in hotels. This time around, we're going to have a baby (around 12 weeks old) with us, as well as my mother-in-law so I'm kind of thinking it's probably the right time to start going to campsites.

We'll be going in the first week of June for around 11/12 nights. Sailing into Cherbourg and out of Roscoff. I'm pretty much open to going anywhere. Last year we went to San Sebastian, La Rochelle and a place inland from Bordeaux, near Poitiers. This year, we were in Paris, Tours, Vannes, Quimper and St. Malo.

We're probably going to hit Disneyland for a day or two at the start, as we've got annual passes that are still valid. After that, it can be anywhere.

Can anyone recommend particular campsites they've been and enjoyed etc? It would be a great help.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of advice from those of you who camp in France. 2016 will be our third year in a row holidaying in France but we've always just stayed in hotels. This time around, we're going to have a baby (around 12 weeks old) with us, as well as my mother-in-law so I'm kind of thinking it's probably the right time to start going to campsites.

We'll be going in the first week of June for around 11/12 nights. Sailing into Cherbourg and out of Roscoff. I'm pretty much open to going anywhere. Last year we went to San Sebastian, La Rochelle and a place inland from Bordeaux, near Poitiers. This year, we were in Paris, Tours, Vannes, Quimper and St. Malo.

We're probably going to hit Disneyland for a day or two at the start, as we've got annual passes that are still valid. After that, it can be anywhere.

Can anyone recommend particular campsites they've been and enjoyed etc? It would be a great help.

Thanks.

You're going to get a lot of recommendations asking a question like that!!

Here are my two:-

1. [urlhttp://www.siblu.ie/france/vendee/le_bois_masson.php][/url] - Stayed here for the last three years and very happy. Loads of activities in St Jean de Monts and superb beaches. About a 4 hour drive from either Cherbourg or Roscoff not including stop overs.

2. If you don't mind carrying on for a couple of hours this is also a great site in my experience, stayed there for two years - http://www.siblu.fr/camping/charente_maritime/bonne_anse_plage.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

You're going to get a lot of recommendations asking a question like that!!

I'm cool with that! Thanks for the recommendations, I'll take a look at them when I'm on the laptop later.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

The Wife wrote: »
    Ferry booked at last. It was so expensive that I couldn't afford more than a 2* cabin. €1065 for 2 adults and two kids July 23rd. On the Elysium with IF. I booked over the phone and stupidly presumed that as I was using the Tesco tokens I wouldn't get the France2016 discount with the code, so never asked. Now I see here I would have! I live and learn. Have to start reducing that price so I'll be living in Tesco from now until July

Ring them, their customer service is very good and there's a good chance they'll apply the discount for you.
    Worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

We were in the same predicament when we first booked the ferry also. My partner rang back up again and said that we had forgotten about the discount code but the customer service woman was exceptionally unhelpful. We rang back a short time later and got talking to a nice rep and it was sorted. All he had to do is rebook us again. He said that he wasn't able to apply the discount posthumously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fulgencio

The Wife wrote: »

You do still get the 10% off when you use the Tesco tokens, but you need a different code to the one online. Email them with your reference and they can add it on for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

nkay1985 wrote: »

Thanks.

We stayed at La Croix De Vieux Pont in the Berny Riviere which is a super campsite and only an hour and a half from Disneyland. We stayed here 2 years on the trot and commuted to Disneyland on 2 separate days each time. The drive back late at night if you stay for the fireworks etc is quite testing as it is a very dark drive on poorly lit back roads but very doable! http://www.lacroixduvieuxpont.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5MGxBRDiuZm2icXX2-sBEiQA619bq9kE3TwGy9_aQZGsXayUIpezEv8dF8T5itgRQRGJgfcaAnmv8P8HAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

I know this has been done to death by other posters but I am wondering if anyone has good recommendations for campsites in Brittany for June next year. I have been avidly reading various posts and comments and checking out various websites.

In short, we are a family of six, with two boys aged 13 & 5, and two girls aged 11 & 9 (or at least they will be come the summer next year). We have collected tons of points on the Tesco VISA card and should have enough to cover the boat trip across on Irish Ferries, and plan to go over in the last two weeks in June as the prices sky rocket after that.

I am hoping to find somewhere that has a reasonable chance of good weather, has lots to entertain the kids (especially the eldest lad who's days with the family holiday are probably numbered. He likes rock climbing and could get diverted with interesting villages or towns to see. But, unlike his sisters, he has no interest in the beach!). Most of us want to be near a beach (walking or short driving distance) as well as have all the pool and other facilities that most sites offer. I also am hoping to keep it in Brittany so we have no more than 2 hours driving time when we disembark from Roscoff (via Rosslare).

One of the issues I came across on other threads was that some sites are very quiet in June. So, what is out there that will not be dead, but also won't be over crowded. None of us follow football and have no interest in being anywhere near the UEFA Euro 2016 goings-on.

We are unlikely to have extra Tesco vouchers to go towards a Europarcs or Siblu holiday, so I am not tied with them. I have seen a couple of Yelloh Villages sites that look great, such as in Benodet. Le Ranolien looks good too but I'd be concerned about the weather. Being a family of six, we need at least a three bed chalet or mobile home. The missus is half open to the idea of actual camping, if it is nothing like Irish camping, i.e. proper beds, electricity, kitchen, etc. Is there much in the difference in price and is it something to be recommended with 6 people, or would we end up killing each other? Bikes would be good if they weren't too expensive (or we might be able to bring our own with us) and, of course, there would be a riot if there was no WiFi of some sort available.

There is just too much choice and I'm finding it difficult to whittle down. We want to make the best out of this holiday and are all looking forward to it, but equally don't have tons of cash to spend on it. I'd say we could afford two weeks for around €1,000 or a little more, which seems to be on offer in June but not the prices that are charged in July and August.

The wife is in dread of two months' summer holidays with the kids after we come back from France, but that is a whole different issue. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Hi , jeez a lot to go on in your post but here is my tuppence worth. Firstly the weather in the north west is never predicatable at any time but check out wunderground.com for historic reports for the region and you will get some idea when is your best chance of good weather, personally i would add another 3 hrs to your journey and head to the Vendee where weather can better. Secondly French school summer hols start on july 5th so it wont get really busy till then, look at Lifestyle holidays they have 12 nights in Brittany (Chateau Des Ormes) starting last week in June for around 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

@bigtom71.
    As previous poster has advised, weather in Brittany can be mixed.
    I stayed in Le Grand Metarie in Carnac (Carnac prehistoric standing stones literally accross the road from the site) in August and was very lucky with the weather - only rained the day we were leaving.
    Very good pool complex, plenty to do onsite - zip wire / adventure course etc. Near enough to small towns for day trips.
    Only negative thing I would mention was the wifi service was a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

Hey All,

Just a quick one to say thanks to all the regular posters here and on the same thread last year. Booked the ferry for June so will be heading for the first time with the three kids, mrs oink and the caravan.

Looking forward to it already. Going with Stena, Rosslare to Cherbourg. Not planning on going any further than Isle de Ré for our first venture.

Can anyone recommend a good campsite guidebook?

Cheers

Oink

Thanks for the replies and the recommendations. Le grande metairie looks like a lovely spot, but I think we'd prefer to go to a coastal site where you have the option of hitting the beach somedays. Chateau Des Ormes does also look great, but would the weather be more at risk of being rainy/overcast more north in Brittany? Aside from the campsite and mobile home being nice, the other factor is obviously the weather, and I don't want to put everyone off ever going to France again after we get two weeks of torrential rain.

I have just booked the ferry for 15-30th June, so that gives us two full weeks in France. The prices just go up after that and it suits us to go when it won't be too crowded.

The next question is where to go? I am still thinking about Brittany South - maybe Le Port de Plaisance in Benodet or Siblu's domaine de kerlann. If not there, then I would consider further south, although anything more than 4 or 5 hours in the car could result in implosion. How far down the coast do we have to go to guarantee reasonably good weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bigtom71 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and the recommendations. Le grande metairie looks like a lovely spot, but I think we'd prefer to go to a coastal site where you have the option of hitting the beach somedays.

Grande Metairie is 5 minutes drive from the coast. Carnac is a major beach resort.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Grande Metairie is 5 minutes drive from the coast. Carnac is a major beach resort.

I must have done something silly on Google maps so!! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Thanks for the replies and the recommendations. Le grande metairie looks like a lovely spot, but I think we'd prefer to go to a coastal site where you have the option of hitting the beach somedays. Chateau Des Ormes does also look great, but would the weather be more at risk of being rainy/overcast more north in Brittany? Aside from the campsite and mobile home being nice, the other factor is obviously the weather, and I don't want to put everyone off ever going to France again after we get two weeks of torrential rain.

I have just booked the ferry for 15-30th June, so that gives us two full weeks in France. The prices just go up after that and it suits us to go when it won't be too crowded.

The next question is where to go? I am still thinking about Brittany South - maybe Le Port de Plaisance in Benodet or Siblu's domaine de kerlann. If not there, then I would consider further south, although anything more than 4 or 5 hours in the car could result in implosion. How far down the coast do we have to go to guarantee reasonably good weather?
    If your willing to go 6hrs then Les Charmettes (siblu) is a wonderful large coastal site popular with Irish families and has everything on site.We wre there a couple of years back and it was fantastic. Kerlann is lovely but a little on the quiet side and not that big a site. On the weather issue just take it as it comes as you cant control it , use cloudy rainy days to explore the region and make the most of the really nice ones which im sure you'll get plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xxcixx

Has anybody managed to get the stena early booking discount in conjunction with tesco clubcard vouchers?

Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

We stayed in Domaine De Kerlann this year and we really enjoyed it. It's nice clean camp with lots to do. It is a bit on the small side compared to others though.

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience staying in La Reserve campsite? I've booked an Excellence mobile home with Siblu for for next year and I'm looking for some advice on what part of the park to request we stay in. My preference would be to be towards the beach (preferably looking right over the beach) as that would likley have the least late night traffic and be furthest away from the nightly entertainment.

Any suggestions based on this map? If you have previously stayed in a particularly nice mobile home i.e. well equipped and/or with a good outside area including a covered terrace and you can remember the pitch number that would be great.

qxq42u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Was just trying to book with IrishFerries for next July. The total before the final screen with 10% off discount was €931.20 but when I clicked through to the final page to get the discount it upped the price to €1016 and then applied the discount to that. Obviously I didn't complete the transaction.

I'm giving them a call now but just thought I'd warn people just in case.

We stayed in Domaine De Kerlann this year and we really enjoyed it. It's nice clean camp with lots to do. It is a bit on the small side compared to others though.

We decided on reflection to go to Port de Plaisance which is a Yelloh Villages site not too far away from Domaine de Kerlann. When we weighed it up, the higher chance of sun just wasn't worth it when compared against 6-7 hours in the car with four kids. Having had our annual holiday in Mayo every year until now, anything on the Continent is likely to be sunnier! We booked through Benodet Breaks who have a number of mobile homes on the site and have good reviews online.

The posts and tips from others on this forum about getting Irish Ferries via Tesco vouchers was very useful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

gandalf wrote: »
    Was just trying to book with IrishFerries for next July. The total before the final screen with 10% off discount was €931.20 but when I clicked through to the final page to get the discount it upped the price to €1016 and then applied the discount to that. Obviously I didn't complete the transaction.

I'm giving them a call now but just thought I'd warn people just in case.

Turns out this was my error. They quote the crossing at the discounted rate on the 2nd last page and then only take the discount on the cabins on the final page.

I'm nearly sure they used to show the rate before discount on the 2nd last page and then the discounted amount on the last page.

Anyway I've booked it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

When is that Shiite on?. As if it's not expensive enough to get off this crock rock.!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

When is that Shiite on?. As if it's not expensive enough to get off this crock rock.!

Have a look here. Just scroll down for the dates, times & locations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

according to newstalk this morning, draw is on Saturday the 12th at 5pm, probably with venues already decided that evening, and a day or 2 later the tickets for games will go on sale.

• Advertisement

That's the free market I guess. Some of us take advantage when the Ferry companies offer discounts due to weak demand and others pay a premium when demand is high. It's two sides of the same coin. The ferry companies are businesses and there is no reason they should sell their fares for less than people are prepared to pay. If they jack the fares up too high and people aren't prepared to pay they'll have to drop them again. Time will tell.

Advertisement