Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Just back from a 70 km spin.
    Ardcath, Garristown, Naul, Ballyboughil, Old N1 to Balrothery, Gormanston, Julianstown and home.
    Beautiful day out. Met lots of solo riders, was a bit disappointed to see a group of three cyclists from a Meath club and a group of four from a Dublin club.
    Apart from that, I enjoyed it, really good for the head.

Were the three from the Meath club in blue? If so they passed me as well and I said about social distancing and they told me to **** off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lovely morning for it out there. Nearly came off The bike though, which would have been very embarrassing because I was stopped, having a banana at the time, and just about got my left foot unclipped before I toppled over.

That's why i eat on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Did 59km with a few hills in the first half, and then nice and flat on the way home by the coast.

It was busy with cars along the coast road with cars parked for long stretches of the road around the Brittas Bay area - the beaches looked very busy. Had to be alert passing these areas, a lot of people in and out of cars - and had one dog run out on front of me to test my brakes.

But a lovely sunny day and no rain so happy with it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3207192824

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Just back from a 70 km spin.
    Ardcath, Garristown, Naul, Ballyboughil, Old N1 to Balrothery, Gormanston, Julianstown and home.
    Beautiful day out. Met lots of solo riders, was a bit disappointed to see a group of three cyclists from a Meath club and a group of four from a Dublin club.
    Apart from that, I enjoyed it, really good for the head.

Headed out at 7:40, Kilternan, Glencullen, Military road, lap of Knockree and back via Enniskerry for a leisurely 56k with 1k of up. Quite a few groups of three still out there and plenty of pairs riding two abreast, a bit sad to see. Beautiful morning for it, will probably swap my lunch time spins for early morning spins if the weather keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Solo mid morning 73km, perfect day for it. Rathfarnham, Manor Kilbride, Lacken, Valleymount, Blessington, N81 home.

Little or no traffic,saw a good few out for spins today too. Gladly everyone I came across was cycling solo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also out at lunch today for a short one. Ballyboden, Stepaside, Foxes and back down Cruagh. Saw a group of four out but they were a good bike length and a half between one another. Great weather out there today, work aside I would have loved a longer spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Managed 41km yesterday - I swear Ballinascorney will be the death of me one of these days. Managed only 23kph average because of it.
    However, it was a beautiful day for it, and really enjoyed it.
    Loads of cyclists out, very few in groups. Passed a few parks, noticed quite a few groups having picnics, etc. - effin unbelievable!!

https://strava.app.link/zCwwEg1454

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

First cycle on the main road with my kids (10 & 12.5), went with each individually. Extremely short cycle but wanted to get them comforable & confident. Next step is main road with both of them at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Solo spin this morning, 84km including a trip out to Portrane via the new Donabate distributor road, great surface on same. Stiff enough breeze at times, overall though very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Work morning commute, quiet even for these times, but at a junction of High St and Bridge St Lwr, the rear derailleur hanger broke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

57 km in 2 hours at 28kmph. Lovely and quiet for the most part. Had to slow down for some horses at times, but otherwise kept going.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/fg1KGX8k74

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Out early this morning 45k around the Phoenix Park and back on the couch for 9am for a conference call. Nice to get out lots of people up at the crack of dawn with the same idea.

All either solo or keeping on different sides of the paths - great to see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weepsie wrote: »
    57 km in 2 hours at 28kmph. Lovely and quiet for the most part. Had to slow down for some horses at times, but otherwise kept going.
    I went up towards Summerhill Co. Meath yesterday and got stuck for maybe 500m behind three cows out jogging along the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I regularly do a solo 45 km loop on quiet roads in North Kildare, to maintain a good pace part of my challenge is to try to complete the journey with less than 20 cars passing me. My previous record was 17 cars, today 6 cars passed me on the route, nice and peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I managed Alpe Du Zwift in 47 minutes on Friday

After that I took 2 days off because I was goosed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭JMcL

Out before 7am for a 31km "commute" to the home office this morning. First day of the year ditchng the overshoes. Traffic was very light, and shock horror, courteous - plenty of room given on overtakes, nary a sign of any MGIF

Headed out from Leixlip towards the airport via Rolestown as I haven't been around there in a while.
    Absolutely lovely evening for it - felt like summer (with loads of flys about :().

Left home lateish (and no front light) so kept it short to just under 58km @ 28.6km/h
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3217710173

Saw a good few people out cycling but none in groups.
    Most drivers were great and did their social distancing. These two dicks were obviously lost as they seemed to think that they were in Mondello...

Awaiting on Cycliq to send me a bracket for my front camera so no front footage.

What tyres have you on there Seth? looks like they are red side walled.

What tyres have you on there Seth? looks like they are red side walled.
    Vittoria Rubino Pro IV G2.0 Road Tyre
    The red has faded a bit and kinds matches the orange frame - it was an impulse purchase :D - image on here... https://strava.app.link/pg5a0fkF94

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

got up to 27km yesterday evening. A loop from Turloughmore out to Corifin and back via back roads. Meant to be a smaller spin but decided to take the longer route & got home just before dark. Felt great afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As I'm no longer commuting, I've taken up a daily loop of Howth to the summit from Portmarnock, alternating which side to climb each day. And it's been great, the weather being so nice out has helped a tonne, but just getting an hour a day out on the bike to clear the head has been amazing. Obviously the almost complete lack of traffic has helped a lot too. Not that it's been completely free of incident, but it's been mostly good. I've been putting all the effort into climbing and taking the downhills handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Weird one today , planned a 60k loop and was moving along nicely, have a bad habit of moving to big ring and up the cassette more or less at the same time (di2) which sub sequentially bricked it!! So I wandered around a shorter route home trying to figure out what was wrong. Just as I got close to home I repeated the 'double click' one on each shifter to repeat what broke it and behold it sprang back to life. Anyone seen this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Luxman wrote: »
    Weird one today , planned a 60k loop and was moving along nicely, have a bad habit of moving to big ring and up the cassette more or less at the same time (di2) which sub sequentially bricked it!! So I wandered around a shorter route home trying to figure out what was wrong. Just as I got close to home I repeated the 'double click' one on each shifter to repeat what broke it and behold it sprang back to life. Anyone seen this before?

Do you mean you press both paddles at the same time? I tend to do that on mine, with a slight delay between the two, and it's never been a problem. I've yet to have any sort of problem with mine after nearly 4 years so when it does give a problem I'll be lost as to what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Do you mean you press both paddles at the same time? I tend to do that on mine, with a slight delay between the two, and it's never been a problem. I've yet to have any sort of problem with mine after nearly 4 years so when it does give a problem I'll be lost as to what to do!

Yep, LHS to bring to large chainring and RHS to go up the cassette. I would normally leave a little time gap but today must have been simultaneous. Stopped and farted around with etube on the phone ad nothing, but for some reason on way home I did the same thing and it came back to life. I was nearly enroute to Richies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

30 mins practicing track stands in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

saccades wrote: »
    30 mins practicing track stands in the back garden.

Who would have thought even a month ago that we'd see a post like that in this thread? Good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out for another 42km today, ditched the long sleeves and tights, it was a glorious day for it, averaged 24.7kph, this separation thing is getting me fit (fit to drop sometimes).

https://www.strava.com/activities/3220216267

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm enjoying the lack of cars on my commute I have to say. Feels like I'm cycling through a movie set at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First ride of the year in shorts and short sleeves! Dusted off the rollers and put them in the garden. After a bit of faff to get my speed sensor working and some re-learning, off I wobbled and managed to cover 30Km listening to Rush - Signals.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3227428024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I always wondered about rollers and would they give you a good workout so I put off buying any. Then when this virus thing took off I ordered a set in case of lockdown. Well, I certainly got my answer today!! First spin on them and found it much harder than expected! 30 minutes on them listening to some Captain Beefheart! Bluetooth speed and cadence sensors in the post and then I’ll try Zwift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement