Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Just back from Haul d Naul. Rode out and back to complete my March fondo on Strava.
    Went out with the first group and managed to hang on until Naul, where the hill killed me off after the fast start.
    104km @ 30.1kmh for the day.
    Happy with that.

I was wondering when this was on, seen the road markings on my spin around Swords, Lusk, Skerries & Rush yesterday morning...I unintentionally seemed to cover the 45k route!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Torres09 wrote: »
    I was wondering when this was on, seen the road markings on my spin around Swords, Lusk, Skerries & Rush yesterday morning...I unintentionally seemed to cover the 45k route!!!

And you'll be seeing them for about 2 years. They don't seem to ever fade away. Especially near the airport

Weepsie wrote: »
    And you'll be seeing them for about 2 years. They don't seem to ever fade away. Especially near the airport

I might try the 100k over the next 2 years so lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pjmn

Headed east today - strong tailwind on the way out - killer headwind on the way back in..

https://www.strava.com/activities/2236919108

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Headed down to enniscorthy, 100km @29.2kmph with 800m climbing.

Feeling good as it was pretty much all rolling hills so being a Clydesdale wasn't too much of a problem.

Now have to muck the chickens out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Torres09 wrote: »
    I might try the 100k over the next 2 years so lol
    The 'long' route is only 70k.

The 'long' route is only 70k.

There's a Naul Charity Cycle I saw signs for too today on Sunday 19th of May

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Took the sunny weather bike out for first time in ages for a test ride.
    same here, first time it had been out in 2019 i think. i think i've successfully dealt with the niggling habit it had for the seatpost to drop in the frame gradually, if the roads were rough. have seen other owners commenting online of the same issue, that you need to tighten the seatpost clamp tighter than manufacturer's recommendations to overcome the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brought a mate for a bit of hilly stuff today. Headed up Balinascorney, Cunard and up as far as the gates of Kippure. I had planned on going up but the breeze had become a full on biting icy wind up there, the surface was quite gravelly a few weeks ago, and with him on a brand new Madone SLR 8 with utterly splendid paint job and deep section wheels.... I didn't want to be responsible for any mishaps.
    Continued over to the Gap crossroads then over by Lough Tay and down Lugalla and over to Enniskerry for the coffee.
    Then treated my buddy to his first taste of Ticknock followed by Kilmashogue. There was a mountainbiking event on Ticknock so there was a huge crowd around there but we made it up and back ok.
    Kilmashogue was a great plan at the start of the day but with nearly 80km and 1500m already done, not so clever. Felt good to get back to the car after that!!

84km, 1845m climbed.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2236957233

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

87 km, 1200mtr of climbing. 24 k avg, fairly wrecked now

• Advertisement

Lovely morning for it. Real West of Ireland sunny windy day. Was on some roads out between duleek and bellewstown I'd not been on before. Lovely rolling hills, kept the legs working.

Passed a fella around 8am on Bellewstown hill this morning, wasn't you was it? I was heading down he was coming up, gave him a howya as I passed and was glad I was in a clockwise loop mood when I left this morning :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not me, i didn't get out till after 9:30 and wouldn't have been near bellewstown till after 11. i approached bellewstown on what strava calls ladymoor road and before i reached bellewstown, swung a right down ongenstown, which i promised i'd return to to banana myself uphill on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

First spin on my new Orbea Orca yesterday.
    Its lovely, shame I'm not in half as good shape.
    First real spin using di2 so gladly the weather was nice and I could go gloveless to get used to the position of the gear change controls. Might need a few minor adjustments but was suprised how comfortable it felt coming from a giant defy and its old man geometry (Im feeling like an old man recently so hence being totally out of shape).
    Really happy with it tho, its so much lighter and steadier on descents. Disc brakes never made a sound either.
    Went from valleymount over the gap then up Shay Eliiot, turning back to laragh at the top, home back over the gap after a bit of lunch.
    63km, average about 25.5 ish (using new bike computer which Im not half as sold on as the bike itself) , 1000m of climbing. The bike definitely got me over the 25 average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Lovely day today, with little wind, so 98km around NCD in 3hrs31mins @ av 27.8 felt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

71km around the North County today at 27.4km/hr. Plenty of cyclists about on a beautiful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Had some hill repeats to do this morning so headed up Cruagh, by Jaysus I was sweating. So lovely out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Early out of work for a steady endurance 90mon spin. I was so looking forward to it all day long given the weather.

I picked the wrong route, left at wrong time and met any amount of traffic, meh...
    still good to brighter evenings....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

54km around the North County. Chilly enough. Wish I wore the jersey that I had on yesterday, and vice versa.

50 km. Santry Ballyboughal, Oldtown and back. Rear derailleur was giving me jip and I can't adjust it for the life of me.

Lovely morning for it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Went up Howth head yesterday and today, up through the village and down. My first times this year, which I'm a bit ashamed of! Both days were amazing though, gorgeous weather, little wind and the perfect temperature.

• Advertisement

50 km. Santry Ballyboughal, Oldtown and back. Rear derailleur was giving me jip and I can't adjust it for the life of me.

Lovely morning for it

Snap...I was out at 09:15 Santry, Knocksedan, Ballyboughal but took a right after Keoghs looped back around where Dennigans is and St. Margaret's and Santry...nearly got killed outside Aramex by a 40ft truck:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Train from Connolly to Portadown, back along the canal to Newry, onto Omeath, over the Windy Gap to Dundalk and on to Clogherhead and Drogheda.

About 105 KM all in. Highly recommend it.

Map of route is here.

Canal to Newry is gorgeous and dead quiet, some local access, met 2 cars in total. Excellent surface, interesting history, plenty of information boards.

Canal entrance is 200m from train station in Portadown.

Greenway from Newry out to Omeath is closed for another 2 weeks as they are testing the river bed in preparation for a possible new bypass.

Plenty of services in towns on the way.

Enterprise train has bike compartment in a Guards van which is usually at the station end of the platform in Connolly.

Dublin - Portadown was €14.99, Drogheda to Dublin was almost the same !(??)

Bikes are free.

Alternative would be Greenway from Omeath to Carlingford and around the peninsula via Greenore to Dundalk.
    Or cycle to Greenore, ferry to Greencastle and back to Newry via Warrenpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

77 kilometres, drimnagh, tallaght, brassington, around the lakes, and back.
    A lovely day for it, no breeze, probably a bit too much, too soon for me, but a beautiful part of the country.
    I had forgotten two things
    1 how for it is around the lakes
    2 how hilly it is

Loved every minute, and will probably pay for it on Sunday.

https://strava.app.link/msuTfOICsV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

First commute of the year - Dundrum-Drogheda, usual R132, appoximately 58k, average 22-23 kmph. Legs jelly, back sore, feels like I am back to square one over winter. Oh well, I have six months to build it all back up before winter comes in again.

Maybe a cycle south this year instead of north for the holiday Positron?

Speaking for the R132 I saw some people with numbers pinned on running it earlier, had to google when I got home. Seems they are doing an Atlas run 173km Dublin to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Speaking for the R132 I saw some people with numbers pinned on running it earlier, had to google when I got home. Seems they are doing an Atlas run 173km Dublin to Belfast.

Ah that's what it was, I was wondering. Saw someone walking near Cock Tavern, and another further up at AppleGreen and two more near Southgate. Everyone looked in their 50s or over. Fair play, 173 kms!! Something to aim for in about 10 years!! :o

Quick 47km spin this morning, averaged just over 30km/h but it was quite flat. Only passed one other cyclist in shorts, loads out in winter gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Quick 47km spin this morning, averaged just over 30km/h but it was quite flat. Only passed one other cyclist in shorts, loads out in winter gear.

Was it me?? I had shorts but gloves, everyone else in full tights. Wasnt that cold...

60k out from dublin, lap the gap via ballinascorney and kippure estate, back in via featherbeds and stocking lane. Was away early so roads were quiet, but was some amount of bike traffic going up stocking lane as i was coming down at half 9 - great morning for it.

Nah, I was out around NCD. Loads of people out in full gloves and leggings, spotted a few in overshoes too. Was 13 degrees at noon avoiding to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Knew I should've gone mountain biking today. Coming down Cruagh road nearly got wiped out by a car overtaking another cyclist on the first left hand bend you come to as you start climbing after the short descent. Car completely on my side of the road. Luckily for me I always take that corner wide due to it's negative camber.
    Couldn't believe the amount of people heading over the feather beds in just shorts and a jersey. Temps up there were in single digits and that's before you take shaded roads and downhill sections into account. I was well wrapped up and still found it chilly up there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement