Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What a beauty of a morning. The sun was shining when I left and putting on a jacket never even crossed my mind. Quite cool but lovely once the heart was pumping. Bring it on Spring!

Out at lunch and very much the same. Seriously thinking of taking a sneaky day off tomorrow if work isn't too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Beautiful afternoon for a spin . 40km @ 26.1km/hr & I would have stayed out longer only I was due in work at 5. That said, I've a week off from tmrw so, hey ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

Evening spin, a loopy spin through citywest to saggart, up slade valley and down on to n81, Lisheen South, left up butter mountain, down ballibascorney and home. 40 km 530m avg 22.7kph, lovely night spin,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Lovely morning for the commute. It was strange cycling home last night though, it felt a bit like summer was in the air. In February!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Quick up and down stocking lane before work. Worth it for the sunrise, sorry i didnt take the phone/camera.

https://strava.app.link/Tnk5Aa18DU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

2 nice commutes yesterday, evening one was particularly fun. Enniskerry, Devils Elbow, Tibraden, View Point and then a really fun descent of the Hell Fire club and Gunny Hill. City lights at night are amazing and I loved descending in the dark with the lights on on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yep, gorgeous day with little wind and nice temps - City centre out to Howth and back, and out to Stillorgan for an errand, and then back to city again - 57km, 260m @ 28km/h av.

The youngest reminded me this morning that school finished at 1.15 today so didn't get out til 2. 51km around NCD at 26.7km/hr. Pace is definitely up since the new bike arrived which is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Left work in a fair hurry to catch some road timenin a glorious day for the bike.

In around 1hr recovery spin and came back to town via the Suir Blue way on which I had a nasty encounter with two off leash dogs near the Convent Bridge. The blue way itself is a great amenity to have but dog owners need to respect other users and keep dogs on leash, i came across 10 dogs at least off leash.

Nice to hit 1100 watts though in small gears!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

waiting at the merrion gates this morning, i heard a loud mechanical squeal, and thought 'that sounds like the train' and quickly realised there was no train, it was a cyclist coming to a stop on the far side of the level crossing. i've not heard brakes that insanely loud before; if they're that bad in the dry, i wouldn't want to be near that chap in the wet if he tries to drop anchor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Contaminated disc pads or rim pads set wrongly (not toed-in) can be super-loud.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Reminds me, I need to change mine as they are covered in penetrant oil, so they will (A) not stop me very well and (b) be very loud if they do work at all

Out with s couple of lads tonight, but they wanted to do hills, no appetite for it tonight, ended up doing a solo spin up embankment and down Lisheen, 3 castles to bridge, around small lake back to manor Kilbride , Lisheen and home. 50 km 371 m Avg 26.1 kph.
    Could have easily done a spin with my imaginary friend Annette and averaged 21kph :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »
    Left work in a fair hurry to catch some road timenin a glorious day for the bike.

In around 1hr recovery spin and came back to town via the Suir Blue way on which I had a nasty encounter with two off leash dogs near the Convent Bridge. The blue way itself is a great amenity to have but dog owners need to respect other users and keep dogs on leash, i came across 10 dogs at least off leash.

Nice to hit 1100 watts though in small gears!!!

I did 1101! :pac::P

Cycled home from work yesterday evening, 37.4km and around 380m climbing. Avg around 24.5kmph
    Was needed after a tough day at work.
    Haven't been doing much the last few months and fitness has gone way down, but over last week or two I'm starting to feel a little better. Really notice the drop on 'ooh you bastard ramp' up ballinascorney. I've managed 3.32 on that segment, and I'm now struggling to stay under 5 mins. Maybe I've peaked and thats the best it'll ever get!

57km around the North County earlier in glorious sunshine and no wind. 57km more than I cycled this day last year.

terrydel wrote: »
    I did 1101! :pac::P

Sure there is always one!!!! 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont tell mother nature that its not summer
    xzYiuJ3.png

Dropped a triathlete up the hills, was expecting him to give chase on a very expensive looking aero Trek, nada. Strava reveals first spin of '19. Wimp lister.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if he was a triathlete, he was probably wondering 'why is the ground pointing up?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Handy 30 km this evening, wet and windy

• Advertisement

Just a quick 37km this morning before the rain arrived. Managed to get a KOM which I wasn't quite expecting.

Managed to get back before the rain myself, once the phone connected back to the wifi at the house I had a notification from google photos reminding me this day last year was a snow day.

ED E wrote: »
    Dont tell mother nature that its not summer
    xzYiuJ3.png

Dropped a triathlete up the hills, was expecting him to give chase on a very expensive looking aero Trek, nada. Strava reveals first spin of '19. Wimp lister.

Surprised he didn't mention that as you passed him, they've fragile egos those triathletes.

Had planned on doing a 70 km spin around lake drive , but rain started out past blessington around 9:30 So decided to go Phoulaphoca and back on to n81, still managed 70km with a few extra loops thrown in. Took it handy enough, avg 26kph. On a solo spin, saw plenty of wildlife , squirrels, flock of geese, pair of pheasants cock and hen, lambs, goats, and the usual sheep and cattle OH and a few cyclists too.

Out the door at 7.20am to beat the forecasted wind & rain, a set of fairly intense intervals on the menu which were done with the usual zest & groans near the last set.

Rolling home with the wind as it was I decided to try crack a KOM en route, landed 1 second off it which was bloody annoyong given the intense effort used up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

secman wrote: »
    Had planned on doing a 70 km spin around lake drive , but rain started out past blessington around 9:30 So decided to go Phoulaphoca and back on to n81, still managed 70km with a few extra loops thrown in. Took it handy enough, avg 26kph. On a solo spin, saw plenty of wildlife , squirrels, flock of geese, pair of pheasants cock and hen, lambs, goats, and the usual sheep and cattle OH and a few cyclists too.

I rode right by a huge, curious cow today. She turned her head slowly and looked me dead in the eye as I passed and licked her lips. A little further a pair of giddy horses were playing together and later still I passed a lone, grey donkey which was the highlight. Lovely animals are donkeys.

60km today and my first spin with a power meter. I made an effort on a strava segment and looking at the numbers afterward was very interesting. I spent all that money just to marvel at my stunning mediocrity.

Anyway, I need to cut 40 seconds to make the top 10 on that particular segment. I think it's possible once I start doing some actual training and lose a few more kilos of body fat. It's really exciting to have this goal even though it's actually meaningless and it's not even a hill climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I was down in Waterford this past Wednesday to do the Copper Coast again. It's a great route with plenty of tough 'bergs' from Annestown to Ballyvoile and on to Dungarvan. Stopped in Dungarvan for a coke and returned to Waterford via the N25 which isn't as bad or boring a route back as one would imagine.

I think it's a much better alternative to doing the Greenway which isn't really for 25mm shod road bikes IMO. Hopefully, when the M7 upgrades are completed, it will be a much quicker journey down to Waterford. It's no bother as it is and very doable taking the car down for the day.

Had a shower in a local leisure centre and a McDonalds afterwards. An enjoyable day in decent weather for this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

terrydel wrote: »
    Surprised he didn't mention that as you passed him, they've fragile egos those triathletes.

Didnt give him the chance :pac:
    dahat wrote: »
    Out the door at 7.20am to beat the forecasted wind & rain, a set of fairly intense intervals on the menu which were done with the usual zest & groans near the last set.

Similar for me today though the radar now looks light enough slow moving. Could have done a club spin and not swam I suspect.

I reeled it in after 40km. Rain was very steady and temps dropping, was down to 4 or 5C by the time I finished up and my gloves were wet so it was as good a time as any to call it.

• Advertisement

Club spin for 9:30 cancelled, so headed out at 8 this morning, just a very handy mosey, out on the coast road to Kilmuckridge, Blackwater and out on to main road heading back towards Gorey, did loop to Kilmuckridge and back out on to main road , ballyedmund, and home. 42km avg 25kph. Timed it nicely, rain started just as I got back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement