Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

I was out and about earlier this morning picking up supplies for the wee one. Got lashed out it by hailstones shortly after 7am and of course I was riding into the wind at the time. Had to hope off and find shelter in the near by forecourt of a Maxol.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Muddy arse, dirty bike, numb feet.

I tried..

https://www.strava.com/activities/2265073791

.. I failed.

31km at 31.7kph

I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

Haven't been on the bike since mid Jan due to a back injury. Hope to get a small spin on Sunday. Oh how I miss you bike

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Freezing club TT at Pine Forest last night, still feel it in the back of my throat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Miklos wrote: »
    Freezing club TT at Pine Forest last night, still feel it in the back of my throat!

Saw the photos on the Orwell FB page. Serious kudos and who thought the winter was over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Miklos wrote: »

Looked like the Audax a few weeks ago. Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

70km after work in the warm sunshine whilst wearing the gear in cycled to work in sub zero conditions. It was a sweaty affair to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I just got home and was freezing and tired. One of the worst rides I’ve been on all year- probably just too tired from a long shift, but contemplating taking the car tomorrow...

TIL Canyons with great wheel clearance and disk brakes (ie no caliper) are the worst for spraying the face off the rider behind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

passed a chap out near oldtown today, who was very tall and had a bike with a double top tube. wonder if that was a custom build? been a long time since i've seen one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I just got home and was freezing and tired. One of the worst rides I’ve been on all year- probably just too tired from a long shift, but contemplating taking the car tomorrow...

When I got to my bike last night, the rear tyre was flat so had to change the tube. Didn't find anything in the tyre, so I told myself that if it was still inflated this morning I'd ride to work.
    Checked it at 8am this morning and it was good, so got dressed and rode off happily. Just over the halfway point, I realised I'd forgotten my keys...
    Stopped to phone the wife to bring them out to me but couldn't get her to answer the phone!! As I wouldn't be able to lock my bike or open my locker, I had to cycle all the way back home....and take the car! Doh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

passed a chap out near oldtown today, who was very tall and had a bike with a double top tube. wonder if that was a custom build? been a long time since i've seen one.
    Michael Collins had a bike with a double top tube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pleasant surprise today to find that an otherwise nice quiet road, marred by a horrendous surface for over 1km, has recently had a proper resurfacing job done on the offending stretch. i used to avoid it before now.
    for the NCDers, it's the stretch of road which runs past the back of sam dennigans, over to springhill - it's the section at the north of that stretch (past the graveyard) which is nice and shiny and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Very busy on the Mullingar-Athlone Greenway today. Lots of groups heading towards Athlone around noon. Headwind for me all the way back to Mullingar.

One side note - first long ride on the summer bike after I made some upgrades over the winter, namely the brake and rear derailleur - now Ultegra R8000 instead of 105 5800. The brakes are fantastic! Such an improved level of modulation and no fear of them locking up. The rear derailleur feels quicker to shift and the whole drivetrain operates more smoothly than the 105 kit on the winter set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Very busy on the Mullingar-Athlone Greenway today. Lots of groups heading towards Athlone around noon. Headwind for me all the way back to Mullingar.

One side note - first long ride on the summer bike after I made some upgrades over the winter, namely the brake and rear derailleur - now Ultegra R8000 instead of 105 5800. The brakes are fantastic! Such an improved level of modulation and no fear of them locking up. The rear derailleur feels quicker to shift and the whole drivetrain operates more smoothly than the 105 kit on the winter set up.

am hoping to ride the Greenway over Easter all going well. I also upgraded from 105 to R8000 last year and delighted I did. you're right on both the shifting and braking, everything just feels that much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

https://www.strava.com/activities/2275106031

31km at 34.7kph! Woohoo!

How did I get back north of 32? Nope, not advantageous winds - I bought a new bike (is that cheating?)! The first spin on my new Canyon.

I went from a Cube gravel bike with tiagra (loved every minute on it but I never left the road) to a Canyon Ultimate with full Ultegra. It's not any easier but it sure is faster. I very nearly came off at one bend because of how differently the bike carries momentum. It's like a cat through the corners. Absolutely delighted with the way it feels and the more aggressive position. I've lost 8kg in the last 8 weeks to help get the most from the new bike but I should have had the cop on to do some daily stretching as well! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

So, 6 weeks ago I crashed in training for an event, wound up in a sling and a splint for 2 weeks with suspected fractures, destroyed the front wheel, and hadn't been on a bike since...

Until Friday, the day of the event. I was under orders to be on the start line at 5 am with most of a bike, and the rest would be sorted... on a cycle to Galway with next to no training and a questionable arm.

I got through about 25% of the distance over the weekend or about 100km more than I expected. That felt oh so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

new route for me... 106km @ 28km average

https://www.strava.com/activities/2271941807

Beautiful if a bit nippy out tonight.

Some lad in Enniskerry commented on that fact but was holding his headset as if on a call so I totally snubbed him by mistake. If you're on here I'm not some arse, sorry!

ED E wrote: »
    was holding his headset
    headset or handset?

• Advertisement

The inline controls on his earphones.

ah, i had an image of him trying to listen to his steerer tube.

ED E wrote: »
    Beautiful if a bit nippy out tonight.

Some lad in Enniskerry commented on that fact but was holding his headset as if on a call so I totally snubbed him by mistake. If you're on here I'm not some arse, sorry!

Was glad I listened to her self and took my jacket when I was out earlier this evening. Nippy indeed but a lovely evening to be out all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

are the idiot cyclists coming out after the winter? going into work along the Grand canal Luas section (im going west), cyclist coming the other way , so I make it clear Im moving beside the wall so he has plenty of space to pass and he follows and does the same, hold my ground and slow down and he does the same, basically had to come to a stop, told him to learn some basic cycling conventions. How can some people be so stubborn

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

So, I'm on my way home from a short training spin. I'm in the cycle lane going down an incline in the road. A car coming from the other direction turns right and crashes straight into me totaling my bike and sending me off to hospital in the back of an ambulance.

Thankfully its all soft tissue damage with some suspected damage to my ankle ligaments and bruising around my back (and all over). I'm out of action completely for a week and I'll be on crutches for a while after that but TBH I'm counting myself lucky considering the impact.

So, I was wondering has anybody any experience of this kind of thing? My bike was worth upwards of 3K. How will the lady who hit me's insurance deal with this kind of thing? If it was a car she damaged it would be repaired straight away.
    Any advice or shared experiences would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

maldondo wrote: »
    So, I'm on my way home from a short training spin. I'm in the cycle lane going down an incline in the road. A car coming from the other direction turns right and crashes straight into me totaling my bike and sending me off to hospital in the back of an ambulance.

Thankfully its all soft tissue damage with some suspected damage to my ankle ligaments and bruising around my back (and all over). I'm out of action completely for a week and I'll be on crutches for a while after that but TBH I'm counting myself lucky considering the impact.

So, I was wondering has anybody any experience of this kind of thing? My bike was worth upwards of 3K. How will the lady who hit me's insurance deal with this kind of thing? If it was a car she damaged it would be repaired straight away.
    Any advice or shared experiences would be helpful.

All traffic collisions, involving personal injuries, must be reported to the Gardai and must be investigated by them.
    Did the driver admit liability? if so, make a note of it. Write down how the collision happened, while it's still fresh in your head.

If you haven't done this, do it as soon as possible.
    You, as an injured party, are entitled to certain information. This includes name and address of driver, details of her insurance, registration number of car involved. You can get this either from the driver or the Garda investigating the collision.
    Make sure the matter is reported to the driver's insurance company. I'm sure the driver is going allow them take care of the matter.
    Keep any and all medical receipts. Get quotations for repairs to or replacement of bike.
    It is my experience, that insurance companies will pay repairs/replacement costs to the bike pretty much straight away.
    Did the driver admit liability? if so, make a note of it. While it's still fresh in your head, write down all the details of the collision.

Thanks Eamonnator, the Guards attended the scene and have all her details so I'll get in touch with them and get her details.

At least if the insurance will replace the bike quickly enough it'll take the edge off the whole thing.

BTW, if anyone needs a Ring of Beara entry I now have one available.

no experience of this myself, and this may only be the way one insurance company operates, but i know a chap who was knocked off his bike and the insurance company almost had a checklist.
    you were taken away in an ambulance? that's €4k.
    how much was your bike worth? refunded, no hassle.
    did you lose consciousness? that's another €Xk, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yep, don't lose sight of the potential costs associated with your injuries. ankle ligaments can require a significant amount of physio to get them right - I did mine playing football before and had several sessions of physio yet my ankle will never be fully right.

the long term costs associated with your injuries could be much more than the cost of replacing your bike so I'd advise to at least consult a lawyer on that front.

the PIAB website isn't working for me but this link gives an indication of how it works.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, I'll keep all that in mind. I didn't lose consciousness luckily, my torso and shoulder took the brunt of the initial impact.

So I wonder can I look to have my bike replaced asap and then hang on and see a solicitor if needs be to recoup costs incurred.

Also, is it an option for me to press charges? I'm not one normally to hold a grudge, accidents happen but there a lot of children using the road for school and the negligence from the driver was beyond what you'd accept as an accident. I don't think she should be on the road.

Also, the message needs to be put out there IMO that if you hit a cyclist you could end up in court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement