Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

maldondo wrote: »
    Also, is it an option for me to press charges? I'm not one normally to hold a grudge, accidents happen but there a lot of children using the road for school and the negligence from the driver was beyond what you'd accept as an accident. I don't think she should be on the road.

Also, the message needs to be put out there IMO that if you hit a cyclist you could end up in court.

I'll answer the bit I can - the Garda will have to decide if they see reasonable grounds for a prosecution, but will also be influenced on this by your interest in proceeding. it would involve giving a lengthy verbal / written statement and being prepared to attend court as a witness, I think this discourages a lot of people as does the snail's pace of the Irish legal system. so afaik you can't "press charges", just influence the Garda to do so.

I presume you don't have a bike camera with a recording of the incident? did the driver already acknowledge liability / fault? were there any other witnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was involved in a similar collision a number of years ago.
    I wrote about it on Boards.
    Here's link to that thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93240912

It might be useful to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Speedy recovery maldondo, been hit by a car at speed myself a couple of years ago and it is a nasty shock to the system.

Cycled up Kellystown road to Ticknock over lunch and took one of the MTB trails there on to Kilmashogue for what was a fun descent down the empty fire-road. Slightly less fun when I heard a squealing from my rear brake coming up to one of the corners and found out the pad was dead. Rather more restrained descent down Kilmashogue lane with just front brakes working. Good fun for all that, but the climb up Kellystown left me knackered before even getting off road and my MTB skills still border between non-existent and non-existent but ballsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Speedy recovery maldondo. Luckily never been in your position so can’t offer any advice.

Cold start this morning but warmed up by midday. 100km around NCD, checking out the route for the VCB sportive this Sunday.
    A few hills I’ve not done before and a fairly pleasant route - mostly clear of traffic. Didn’t see many folk out, which was surprising

smacl wrote: »
    Speedy recovery maldondo, been hit by a car at speed myself a couple of years ago and it is a nasty shock to the system.

Cycled up Kellystown road to Ticknock over lunch and took one of the MTB trails there on to Kilmashogue for what was a fun descent down the empty fire-road. Slightly less fun when I heard a squealing from my rear brake coming up to one of the corners and found out the pad was dead. Rather more restrained descent down Kilmashogue lane with just front brakes working. Good fun for all that, but the climb up Kellystown left me knackered before even getting off road and my MTB skills still border between non-existent and non-existent but ballsy.

Been about 10 years since went up kellystown road when I was living in that part of the country. Decided I wanted to head up for the view on the way home from work on a heavy steel frame POS mtb bike in jeans. Made it to the bend to the right before ticknock and abandoned the bike in the trees there. Walked the rest of the way up and sat on some logs eating my sandwiches and drinking diluted orange.

After an hour or so of watching the world go by I headed down and retrieved my bike from the woods and enjoyed the roll down hill. Passed a fella on a road bike heading up who looked at me as if I was crazy :D

One of the few things I miss about living down there, always worth the effort to take one of the routes up or up and over and further on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

The change in the weather is fantastic for commuting. I thought i was losing fitness during Feb/March even though i cycled nearly everyday.

Turns out the weather was just sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nasty breeze from Alfie Byrne road to the wooden bridge in clontarf this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

135km done with a ramble around the Copper Coast Road, windy but enjoyable even if I had a hape of intervals to do.

As the wind as gusty a few cups were picked up and snagged a local KOM I've been waiting to take.

135km @ 30.3 avg & 1,000m of elevation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

82 km around north Dublin and a detour to st annes park to get something from the Market. In a rush to get home by 12 so missed the 100k.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2286493975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭francois

Surprisingly strong headwind inbound on the canal this morning, some gusts were causing wobbles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Commuting in this morning and was cruising along the cycle lane along the canal around Harold's Cross, I move out to overtake a guy on a Giant Hybrid and he puts the hammer down leaving me out in the driving lane, I just looked at him and asked ‘why?’ and he kind of laughed so I called him a twatwaffle and put the hammer down. Same twatwaffle then gets to the lights at Rathmines and barges his way to the front, gets a **** takeoff when the lights go green (going east on the canal this junction would have roughly 20 bikes stopped on red each sequence during rush hour) and delays everybody. Normally this wouldn’t irritate me but it did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ Triathlete.

Out Saturday with a group I'm probably a little ahead of so felt good, wasn't really too taxing.

Today climbing up the Dublin Mtns and a youth member of the club blitzes me out of it during his hill repeats. Might be 16 or so. Solidly back to earth with me :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely day for it. first incident of swallowing a fly for the year, too.
    70km around NCD, 29km/h average.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Took a spin on the Mullingar-Athlone greenway this morning, drove to Mullingar so had to do it out and back. Really nice spin and great weather for it. 86km done at an average of 30.7km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Chris871 wrote: »
    Took a spin on the Mullingar-Athlone greenway this morning, drove to Mullingar so had to do it out and back. Really nice spin and great weather for it. 86km done at an average of 30.7km/h.

If you enjoyed that, try Mullingar to Longford on the Royal Canal Greenway. You won't manage as fast an average but it's a lot more scenic and you can always take the train back to Mullingar if you don't fancy the return spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That's an impressive average for a greenway. I presume it's paved?

Yeah it’s all really nicely paved. Perfect surface.

If you enjoyed that, try Mullingar to Longford on the Royal Canal Greenway. You won't manage as fast an average but it's a lot more scenic and you can always take the train back to Mullingar if you don't fancy the return spin.

I'll have to give that a try, is that route paved or part gravel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Spin out n81 to blessington , back around small lake to manor Kilbride, brittas, and home.
    45 km avg 29.3 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Mostly paved but some stretches are compacted quarry dust. Still fine to cycle on with 25mm tyres but a bit slower than tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

48 kilometres, average speed of 26kph, Navan road, Clonee, lucan, Newcastle, Rathcoole, and back to Drimnagh, very enjoyable spin.

https://strava.app.link/8nWKow0hYV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

better surface than any road tbh, except for maybe a 1-2km stretch through the bog close to Athlone which is quarry dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Saw a bunch of cyclists on R150 (Duleek-Julianstown) with at least three support cars, ambulance etc , marshals etc looked like a well supported event - I was on a motorbike. I wonder what the event / sportive was?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

positron wrote: »
    I was on a motorbike.
    and you weren't disqualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

positron wrote: »
    Saw a bunch of cyclists on R150 (Duleek-Julianstown) with at least three support cars, ambulance etc , marshals etc looked like a well supported event - I was on a motorbike. I wonder what the event / sportive was?
    When did you see them? The Coombes Connor Memorial race was there on Sunday, and the Swords CC club league was there last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

The surface is excellent. It's very flat and long though. It isn't the most interesting of Greenways, great if you want to put the foot down though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Leisurely lunch time spin out to Enniskerry and back 32k @23.5kph. Glorious weather and great to be back in shorts. Roll on the summer! Gas comparing Strava's take on my rides over the last couple of days, today it reckoned I burned 1,396 calories for what was a pretty leisurely effort. Did a tough 17k of mostly off-road yesterday that had me gasping for air and having to get off and push a few times in about the same elapsed time for 812 calories. I need to find the section of the program where you explain to it about cycling uphill in mud and shale on a 15kg hybrid :)

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Leisurely lunch time spin out to Enniskerry and back 32k @23.5kph. Glorious weather and great to be back in shorts. Roll on the summer! Gas comparing Strava's take on my rides over the last couple of days, today it reckoned I burned 1,396 calories for what was a pretty leisurely effort. Did a tough 17k of mostly off-road yesterday that had me gasping for air and having to get off and push a few times in about the same elapsed time for 812 calories. I need to find the section of the program where you explain to it about cycling uphill in mud and shale on a 15kg hybrid :)

If you're recording with a GPS then Strava accepts its value and doesnt calculate its own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement