Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Weekend is looking moist so made time for a Friday afternoon spin.

100k @ 24. Slogged into a headwind all the way out but was helped by a tailwind on the way home (even though it didn't feel like it at times). Threatened to rain 3x but cleared up so kudos to ME for getting it right today.

2NxMNQn.png

Time for beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

A windy meandering draggy coastal spin from Kilmuckridge to curracloe and back home. 48km avg 26kph

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What's with all the wind recently? Still, good for the PRs. Managed to sustain 50km/h for a few hundred metres on the flat earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out to meet club in Gorey, down to Arklow, woodenbridge, Avoca, and loop back around to Arklow, left for Arklow rock and back on coast road to Tara Hill, courtown, and home. Very windy and cool, 88km 730 mtrs avg 27.2 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What's with all the wind recently? Still, good for the PRs. Managed to sustain 50km/h for a few hundred metres on the flat earlier.
    March is generally a windy month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

It certainly has been very windy

Just under 68k today at 30kmh average , left from swords up the bypass and right at coachmans . Some head wind cycling past the Airport towards Kilshane cross . Cross winds heading to ratoath but some difference when I turned for swords via Ashbourne road . 52/11 for some of it

Be glad to see the wind ease up
    Last couple of weeks have been rough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Tipped down to Athlone today 92km @ 32 avg - had a westerly wind on my back...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2219368491

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Oberkon wrote:
    Be glad to see the wind ease up Last couple of weeks have been rough...

Totally, fed up with the wind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Oberkon wrote: »
    Some head wind cycling past the Airport towards Kilshane cross
    you would have passed the new road leading to the new conning tower, which was glorious today. the slog back up along the north side of the runway was not fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

you would have passed the new road leading to the new conning tower, which was glorious today. the slog back up along the north side of the runway was not fun though.

Done this stretch a few times lately, great surface but the headwind would wear ya out.

• Advertisement

the headwind depends on which way you're going though; i managed it at an average of over 46km/h today.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

We've been here before, with this great thread Whats up with this weather?
    :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did 75k yesterday so just out today for a potter...gave the bike a good oul clean when I got home yesterday and removed my saddle bag to get under the saddle for a proper clean. So out I go today for a nice 35k or so...then about half way through I puncture my front wheel. Stopped had a look and pondered if I could shorten spin and make it home as I really wasn't arsed changing a tube out. Decided no, sure it won't take me long to change it. Just as I went to turn my head I remembered...my saddlebag was still sitting out on my balcony where I left it yesterday whilst washing my bike. Ahhh good times. :rolleyes:

Rescued by four lovely gentleman who kindly not only donated a tube but also changed it for me and happened to be going the same way as me so I got a nice windbreak on the way home.

So thanks again lads if you're on here...10k cut off my cycle because sods law suggests it would have happened again and I'd have had to play the damsel in distress card twice in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

Was out cycling solo today. Was on a wide straight section with a gradual incline, strong wind into my face so I had the head down just concentrating on the yellow line on my left. Next think a car coming from the opposite direction did a passing manoeuvre, head on, onto my side of the road, leaving me about a metre to spare (doing well over 100 km/hr). Didn't even see him coming. If I had swerved to avoid a pothole I would be history now. I though "what a cu*t". He saw me with my high viz, but his progress was more important than my safety.
    So I am in the market for a GoPro.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Can I tell you about my cycle last week? A week in Gran Canaria, based out of San Augustin. Approx 10,000m of climbing and 21hrs of ride time, still feeling a bit bunched after it.

We did the Valley of the Tears on our second day and it was an absolute epic. Toughest day of my life on the bike for sure, average grade around 12% and tops out at 25% in sections! Grinding away in 34x32 for hours, it felt like days. Really just absolutely horrible, but fantastic.

Later in the week, we headed for the Pico de las Nieves, the highest point on the island. Basically a 50km climb up to the top from sea level. It was really such a pleasure to be able to do that kind of climbing continuously, so far removed from anything I'm used to in Ireland.

Other than those two landmark days, spent most of the week going up and down the GC65 and 60 and around little climbs off them, some great little backroads that bring to mind La Vuelta complete with goats.

Picked a great week to go as well it looks like with races being cancelled and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

First regular club spin since a crash and shoulder injury five weeks ago. Headed up to Drogheda from Swords by the hilly route through Naul, Snowtown and the R108. After a second breakfast at Bia, we headed back into a SWesterly via Laytown, Balbriggan, Skerries and Lusk. Whether it was the wind, the five weeks off the bike or being too ambitious on the Snowtown climb, I was totally wrecked in Swords with another 13k to go to get home. Barely enough energy left to shower and have lunch when I got there with the bike still unwashed and looking accusingly at me two hours later. No chance of it washing itself I suppose?

https://www.strava.com/activities/2224476103/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1553005353

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Solo spin this morning. Just got to Naul, and the freehub gave up. Remembering advice from WA on here, I went to the garage on the Main Street and the nice guy there gave me a dozen cable ties to attempt a temporary fix. This lasted all of 100 metres before they gave up as well. Taxi home cost me €20!
    As the bike needed fixing I’m getting the way overdue headset replacement done at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Strained my calf within seconds of getting on the bike for the commute home, was a painful 25km

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Lovely 60k around NCD this morning, very warm and so much more enjoyable when not battling 50kmh winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Torres09 wrote: »
    Lovely 60k around NCD this morning, very warm and so much more enjoyable when not battling 50kmh winds

It really is a pleasure to go on a cycle when it isn't freezing and faced into a flippin' gale force wind. I forgot what it was like. :D

• Advertisement

After yesterday’s DNF due to a broken freehub, it was nice enough to take the good bike out around NCD for a spin. Got a few PBs and even a 4th overall on one segment, even though I wasn’t targeting anything. Even rode without gloves for a good part.
    My good mood wasn’t even dented when I got the repair bill for the winter hack later on in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

After yesterday’s DNF due to a broken freehub, it was nice enough to take the good bike out around NCD for a spin. Got a few PBs and even a 4th overall on one segment, even though I wasn’t targeting anything. Even rode without gloves for a good part.
    My good mood wasn’t even dented when I got the repair bill for the winter hack later on in the day

my recent double bill for my commuter bike service & repair and my road bike service hasn't dented my enthusiasm for treating myself to a new set of wheels for the good bike ahead of the weather improving :pac:

had to rinse blood out of my gloves when i got home from my spin. not my blood; i tried to lift an injured hare out of the road near oldtown. another cyclist had already stopped to try to shoo him off the road but we reckoned he'd been blinded by the hit and was disoriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Lovely morning here in the west... 63km @ 27.6 avg...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2233961864

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not long back from a spin to Laragh via Sally Gap and back by Ballinastoe and Enniskerry. Trying to build up fitness again before too many more punishing club rides. Beautiful day in the hills but still cool enough so I was glad to have the winter gloves, leg warmers and Mistral jacket.
    Lots of cyclists out especially heading towards Sally Gap from Laragh. Was there an sportif on? The two roads down into Glenasmole from the Featherbeds were closed off apparently for a Gaelforce event.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Not long back from a spin to Laragh via Sally Gap and back by Ballinastoe and Enniskerry. Trying to build up fitness again before too many more punishing club rides. Beautiful day in the hills but still cool enough so I was glad to have the winter gloves, leg warmers and Mistral jacket.
    Lots of cyclists out especially heading towards Sally Gap from Laragh. Was there an sportif on? The two roads down into Glenasmole from the Featherbeds were closed off apparently for a Gaelforce event.

Snap! Glad to have Mistral jacket and gloves this morning...my Garmin was showing 3.5 degrees at 08:30 this morning around NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I've had lateral knee pain since my getting my new cleats. I rode 75km yesterday and it was starting to flare up badly. Before heading out this morning I adjusted the position of the cleats and focused on holding 90rpm - 50km later and no pain, just sunny Spring pleasure.

Lovely morning for it. Real West of Ireland sunny windy day. Was on some roads out between duleek and bellewstown I'd not been on before. Lovely rolling hills, kept the legs working.

Just back from Haul d Naul. Rode out and back to complete my March fondo on Strava.
    Went out with the first group and managed to hang on until Naul, where the hill killed me off after the fast start.
    104km @ 30.1kmh for the day.
    Happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Haul de Naul, that may have have been what swallowed me up between there and Ballyboughal though it was a small group with a Moto medic.

Took the sunny weather bike out for first time in ages for a test ride. Howth, hugged the coast towards Swords and looped around to Four Knocks and into Naul from Snowtown side. Onto Ballyboughal, Old town and Home with a few zigzags to get the 100km at about 25kph.

Shouted at MagicBastarder on Glebe Road East but there were loads out. Long time since I'd met so many out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement