Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newstalk reshuffle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Just as a matter of interest, did Moncrieff have some bad JNLR figures recently that they took the hour off his show or was it just a way of accommodating George Hook? At least it would go some way into explaining the hour deducted.

In relation to Dub13 there, I think Moncrieffs show was originally two hours then a half hour was added at one stage and then another half hour over the years but I could be corrected on that. I'm probably listening to him for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

CFlat wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, did Moncrieff have some bad JNLR figures recently that they took the hour off his show or was it just a way of accommodating George Hook? At least it would go some way into explaining the hour deducted.

You can sense it's a struggle for him to fill three hours, as it would be for anyone. Presumably the cut has been made to extend the news programme's but I'd be fairly sure Sean's fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Three hour show in the autumn for Pat Kenny is no easy task, especially given the nature of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

chinwag wrote: »
    Three hour show in the autumn for Pat Kenny is no easy task, especially given the nature of the show.

With the US elections, Brexit and the FG civil war kicking off again Kenny will be in his element and have no problem filling the three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

CFlat wrote: »

In relation to Dub13 there, I think Moncrieffs show was originally two hours then a half hour was added at one stage and then another half hour over the years but I could be corrected on that. I'm probably listening to him for 10 years.

His producer left recently also. So I'd say there is more going on behind the scenes than we see. The reality is his show has become stale. You could replay a week from 4 years ago and hardly notice until poor old Paulo appeared on Thursday and old movies being reviewed on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

touts wrote: »
    His producer left recently also. So I'd say there is more going on behind the scenes than we see. The reality is his show has become stale. You could replay a week from 4 years ago and hardly notice until poor old Paulo appeared on Thursday and old movies being reviewed on Friday.

I think the same thing happened with Ray Darcy, a few of his background staff moved on before he made a big move. You could be onto something.

touts wrote: »
    With the US elections, Brexit and the FG civil war kicking off again Kenny will be in his element and have no problem filling the three hours.

Yeah it's easier to fill three hours of Pat's stuff than Sean's, with Pat's expertise and prior experience, the show sort of scripts itself when there's a big story breaking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Yeah it's easier to fill three hours of Pat's stuff than Sean's, with Pat's expertise and prior experience, the show sort of scripts itself when there's a big story breaking...

It's often struck me over the past year that Pat has too much time. He keeps guests on air much longer than he used to on RTE - just to fill time. Sometimes the interviews really drag. Probably down to not having as big a budget as he used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I enjoyed Ivan Yates in the morning. There was a nice dynamic between him and Chris Donoghue.

As a listener who loves his sport. I love Off The Ball. If I'm driving home in the evening or just chilling out at home. I'll have it on.

I can't listen to the awful music on the radio these days and I love a good informative talk show about a subject i'm interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

They need to stop phoning Nora Owen. She's dreadful. It's like your ma playing Call Of Duty. Shane Coleman is doing a good job carrying her, and seems to be trying to bring a bit more personality to the show. Cuddihy was good last week. He's normally a bit dull but he was funny during a couple of the interviews.

• Advertisement

They need to stop phoning Nora Owen. She's dreadful. It's like your ma playing Call Of Duty.

Haha brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, I liked Cuddihy last week. Nora Owen is awful, even just from a technical point of view, missing cues and botching intros etc.
    at least when Ivan regularly messed up it was kind of endearing as he's supposed to be a bumbling buffoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

At least when Ivan regularly messed up it was kind of endearing as he's supposed to be a bumbling buffoon...

Alas, a character that women are generally not cast as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The breakfast crew are awful. There's just no chemistry at all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

healy seems to have legged it.

he's been a no show for the last few days on his 12.30 slot. collettes quit the sunday show too, fecking henry mkeen has been put in there. it takes ALOT to shift me to "sunday miscellany "on RTE but that fecker has it.

newstalks dont seem to have a monkies about what to do with their weekend shows now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

healy seems to have legged it.

he's been a no show for the last few days on his 12.30 slot. collettes quit the sunday show too, fecking henry mkeen has been put in there. it takes ALOT to shift me to "sunday miscellany "on RTE but that fecker has it.

newstalks dont seem to have a monkies about what to do with their weekend shows now.

He said on Friday that he was off on the holliers. Gonna be tropic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

getting em in before being let go.

i'd do the same meself !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good old Newstalk.

Why is it that when i open the app, it says "Unable to connect to Newstalk stream. Please try again?", meaning i just have to use the Tunein app?

And why does the NT app send me updates for stories, but when I click on them, it takes me to the app where the story is nowhere to be seen?

I know it's off topic, but since the NT thread was taken away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Looks like this 'revamp' will see a ratings collapse. Wonder will DOB's patience finally run out when he sees the figures.

Newstalk has never made a profit. I doubt he's too bothered now.
    It's precarious though, if you happen to work there.
    It's worse now than it ever has been. Anyone with a bit of talent leaves if they get the opportunity. however it's a very crowded media landscape right now. print journalists desperately looking for gigs everywhere.

Is he prepared to keep bankrolling the station for the rest of his days though? Surely he must have some expectation that they would be making some sort of progress towards break-even point, even if it's a long way down the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

It's precarious though, if you happen to work there.
    It's worse now than it ever has been. Anyone with a bit of talent leaves if they get the opportunity. however it's a very crowded media landscape right now. print journalists desperately looking for gigs everywhere.

Other than Ivan who else has left the station and gone onto better things? The second captains crew? Any one else?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Past30Now wrote: »
    Other than Ivan who else has left the station and gone onto better things? The second captains crew? Any one else?

Claire Byrne I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hardly. A podcast and occasional (awful) TV show. Their new show on radio 1 might work out, but they are gone from a proper full time gig for 2 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Claire Byrne I guess?

When I meant talent,I certainly was not referring to Claire Byrne, who doesn't have any.
    I'm mostly talking about newsroom people, behind the scenes.
    Of course losing the second captains was a huge loss(they pulled in a lot of people) as their replacements are dreadful. I know Gilroy was there before, but the presenter, Joe ? Truly smug and awful.
    Other people that left were the business guy, he's on RTE. Brophy?

gimmick wrote: »
    Hardly. A podcast and occasional (awful) TV show. Their new show on radio 1 might work out, but they are gone from a proper full time gig for 2 odd years.

It's been 3 years, if they were not making a living they wouldn't be still doing it. I would be willing to bet that they make more from the RTE TV and radio shows than they did form Newstalk. Plus, the podcast has had a sponsor for quite a while now.

When I meant talent,I certainly was not referring to Claire Byrne, who doesn't have any.
    Of course losing the second captains was a huge loss(they pulled in a lot of people) as their replacements are dreadful. I know Gilroy was there before, but the presenter, Joe ? Truly smug and awful.

And the other business guy Ian Guider, now with the Business Post. Guess the dawn shift isn't terribly attractive.:P

I don't much care for the new OTB crew either, but AFAIK ratings held up pretty well. According to this http://www.the42.ie/newstalk-off-the-ball-experience-increase-4000-listeners-1291510-Jan2014/:
    The programme has managed to thrive despite the high-profile departure of the Second Captains presenting team last March, continuing to grow since Ger Gilroy, David McIntyre and Joe Molloy, among others, became mainstays of the show.

Listenership is chickenfeed that time of the evening anyway, no matter what you have on. It's breakfast/lunch/drive ratings that count toward Newstalk's bottom line...

I don't much care for the new OTB crew either, but AFAIK ratings held up pretty well. According to this http://www.the42.ie/newstalk-off-the-ball-experience-increase-4000-listeners-1291510-Jan2014/:

Their last 2 set of JNLR figure are unknown, they weren't published anywhere. Which is never a good sign. The one before that was down quite a bit. You would think Parkinson leaving will also have an effect.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Well Claire's talent is debatable, but she did leave for a better gig at RTE.

Also, as much as I love SC, I don't think they were that much of a loss for the station. At that time of night, SC were hovering around the 40-50,000 listener mark IIRC, and in books since they've left, AFAIK new OTB are maintaining those figures (gladly open to correction on that).

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    It's been 3 years, if they were not making a living they wouldn't be still doing it. I would be willing to bet that they make more from the RTE TV and radio shows than they did form Newstalk. Plus, the podcast has had a sponsor for quite a while now.

Plus, the podcasts have similar enough listenership to what they had on OTB. Main show gets around 25k Soundcloud listens, football show gets 30k listeners, and I believe those figures don't include iTunes downloads or other podcast apps (again, open to correction), so I think it's fair to say they're still drawing the same audience.

I think whether or not you feel SC are better off now or not depends on how much stock you place in having a regular Monday to Friday gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

That might be Joe Donnelly. He is a former producer with Newstalk and has been a presenter with Phantom/TXFM since 2012. He recently stood in for Sean Moncrieff on Newstalk. (TXFM and Newstalk are both under the Communicorp umbrella.)

Conor Brophy is the other guy that is indeed with RTE. On Newstalk, he used to do the business news in the mornings, and he also occasionally was a stand-in morning presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

That might be Joe Donnelly.

No Joe Molloy is the guy on Off The Ball. Joe Donnolly was on TXFM, but that station is closing down so he's gonna have to find something else. All of us Kildare people sound the same.

Advertisement