Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newstalk reshuffle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

and it's very likely that this will be for a few minutes chat too at some point during the last half hour, not all the OTB lads around the table talking sport with Chris and Sarah for 30mins.

If it's just that, it's sill overkill as there's hours of sports coming up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

and it's very likely that this will be for a few minutes chat too at some point during the last half hour, not all the OTB lads around the table talking sport with Chris and Sarah for 30mins.

Seems a bit odd, if it is just that, to mention it as part of the new schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If it's just that, it's sill overkill as there's hours of sports coming up anyway.
    what relevance has that got to do with it? it's a bit of free and easy promotion. they'll probably be on for a few minutes talking about the topics they'll be covering on the show in the hope of attracting the interest of people who may not usually listen, or turn off when they get home and out of the car.
    Pat does this for a few minutes with Ivan and Chris and has a few hours after them too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This will answer many of the questions posed around here lately.

So the new breakfast show lineup has been rolled out.
    http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/76051/

Doesn't appeal to me at all. I've no issue with Collette but misery guts Paul Williams is not someone I want to listen to every morning. Hard to see where Quinlan fits in?

Pat gets 9 -12 and George gets a new 12-2pm show. Might take a few listeners from the News at 1? Might also gain a few listeners over the current lunchtime slot which doesn't really know what it should be.

Sean 2-4 and the new drivetime show, 4 - 7, with Chris and Sarah McInerney, who I think is good.

The next bit doesn't make sense, Why?

George will add listeners to News At One in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Hooks listenership will evaporate when he moves to the new slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

soc160 wrote: »
    He's still working his way up, maybe hell move into a senior reporters role with Shane Coleman moving on.

What exactly is the idea of Hook's show, surely a one hour news show suited that spot, here's todays news and opinon and then moving into a magazine show. TRH is a bit of everything really so having that midafternoon seems odd.

As for OTB being included at 6.30, im sure it will be minimal, maybe one of the guys in chatting about sports and moving the show on, like Matt Cooper usually finishes with some sport doesn't he?

Don't know how the Hook show will work but was there any room for a phone-in? Would that not have been a potential ratings winner, or is it straight up against Joe Duffy?

Re Chambers - good point. Maybe his positioning front and centre during Brexit and the election might be the set-up points for his move into a more senior gig.

I'd imagine Oisin Langan is hurting right now too. What's he got to do for a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

jelutong wrote: »
    George will add listeners to News At One in my opinion.

I cant understand why they didnt try something a bit more innovative with the 1.30pm-3pm time. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but as soon as I hear the brass section and that smarmy "It's being reported today" bit at 1.30pm, I turn off Newstalk immediately.

Why have they not tried their own talk show at this time. Is it to do with the infrastructure that it would require, or the possibility of litigation due to a loose tongued caller? They did a call in on The Right Hook before, while being pre recorded, was very interesting as you got to hear George interact with the caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I thought Hook was retiring and now he's suddenly taking over prime lunch slot? I'm sorry but he is 75 and getting a bit doddery.

The George Hook drinking game. Have a shot every time George mentions
    • The lovely Ingrid
    • Leafy Foxrock
    • Rugby
    • Pres Cork
    • Immigrants
    • Cyclists

You'll be locked by 4.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I cant understand why they didnt try something a bit more innovative with the 1.30pm-3pm time. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but as soon as I hear the brass section and that smarmy "It's being reported today" bit at 1.30pm, I turn off Newstalk immediately.

Why have they not tried their own talk show at this time. Is it to do with the infrastructure that it would require, or the possibility of litigation due to a loose tongued caller? They did a call in on The Right Hook before, while being pre recorded, was very interesting as you got to hear George interact with the caller.

I think the purpose of Moncrieff is to give something different, it can't always be news and opinions throughout the day, there's a fairly limited amount of stuff to talk about really.

One thing that annoys on here is people saying "I hear the same songs every hour" when actually if you spent 6 hours listening to one station and wrote down what you heard you'd maybe hear the same song twice maybe, while on alot of news stations across the world it's the same stuff covered every hour, which is the nature of news I accept but they at least need to pad it out. This is why I wonderb what Hook will be doing, is it a news show or a magazine type show.

Pat Kenny serves a certain function, aimed at people at home usually, light entertainment it seems so what is hook bringing on after? Lunchtime served a purpose with a news round up and then back to magazine style show while people are working again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

When is all of this coming into effect? Does Ivan leave tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

pc7 wrote: »
    When is all of this coming into effect? Does Ivan leave tomorrow?

Think they said September but I think Ivan's away on his holidays before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

smash wrote: »
    The George Hook drinking game. Have a shot every time George mentions
    • The lovely Ingrid
    • Leafy Foxrock
    • Rugby
    • Pres Cork
    • Immigrants
    • Cyclists

You'll be locked by 4.30

So true! I might just add Winston Churchill/WWII to that list! I haven't listened to Hook for a while as I just couldn't take him anymore despite the high standard of guests and interviewees. Total narcissist; turns every conversation back to himself. Should be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I won't miss Yates and Chris in the morning. It's like listening to two dorky teenagers chatting on the Dart. The big change as far as I'm concerned is the shortening of Sean Moncrieff's show. Absolutely love this programme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So true! I might just add Winston Churchill/WWII to that list! I haven't listened to Hook for a while as I just couldn't take him anymore despite the high standard of guests and interviewees. Total narcissist; turns every conversation back to himself. Should be long gone.

I need to add God & The Catholic Church to the list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

what relevance has that got to do with it? it's a bit of free and easy promotion. they'll probably be on for a few minutes talking about the topics they'll be covering on the show in the hope of attracting the interest of people who may not usually listen, or turn off when they get home and out of the car.
    Pat does this for a few minutes with Ivan and Chris and has a few hours after them too....

Yes, and as I said more than once, the handovers are just for a few minutes on all the shows you mention. The Newstalk speil is promoting it as a half hour, but we're not sure yet. If it's a half hour you're going to get a lot of people switch off who have no interest in sports. And as I said, there's a few hours of sports coming up at 7 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Think they said September but I think Ivan's away on his holidays before then.

So it's gonna be Shane & Chris in the mornings till then (like it is half the time anyway)?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

soc160 wrote: »
    One thing that annoys on here is people saying "I hear the same songs every hour" when actually if you spent 6 hours listening to one station and wrote down what you heard you'd maybe hear the same song twice maybe, while on alot of news stations across the world it's the same stuff covered every hour, which is the nature of news I accept but they at least need to pad it out.

I feel this point deserves some recognition.

Tip-Hat.gif

I'd imagine Oisin Langan is hurting right now too. What's he got to do for a break?
    For a start, he needs to stop inserting... RIDICULOUS, EXPLOSIVE... PAUSES

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

For a start, he needs to stop inserting... RIDICULOUS, EXPLOSIVE... PAUSES

Does he still say "before i let you go..." in an attempt to assert authority over guests that have been asked in to give opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Ha, never realised much that grated on me until now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

More than anything I think Ivan will be the biggest loss to the station. The way he could slag Chris on the breakfast show makes my drive to work all that much easier. Chris is fine in his own right, but without Ivan the show is basically Morning Ireland Lite. All the same news with no humour. I really like Shane Coleman as a presenter. However, any time I've heard him on the breakfast slot it didn't quite work for him. I used to love when they had the Friday panel on the Right Hook. Shane, Ciara Kelly and George were excellent discussing topics of the week in a light hearted way. It reminds me a bit of the Brendan OConor show "The Cutting Edge", but on radio. I really fear for the new breakfast line up. Will give it a chance, but will probably be seeking a viable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I don't understand the Ivan love in this thread. I cannot listen to him. His tone of voice cuts through me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I don't understand the Ivan love in this thread. I cannot listen to him. His tone of voice cuts through me.

Me neither. He always came across as the loudmouth know-it-all that you'd do your level best to avoid down the pub. In fact my mother told me she was at a race meeting in Clonmel a few months ago and Yates was there with guffawing loudly at the bar with now former-minister Tom Hayes - much to the annoyance of some punters who were straining to hear the commentary over the crappy tannoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Quite like Ivan myself felt he had an interesting viewpoint when it came to politics because of his past experience and at times had a better interviewing manner than Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I listen to Off The Ball and was frequently irritated by Colm Parkinson (he's a Marmite type of character). Now that he has gone the show has become shockingly dull. Ivan might not be everyone's cup of tea but he will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can see Moncrieff ending up in the UK. He has the same wit & charm as Dara O'Briein. He s very natural. Maybe the shortening is because they are struggling to find interesting people to interview ?

It says a lot that I listen & enjoy the parenting slot & I don't even have kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Discodog wrote: »
    I can see Moncrieff ending up in the UK. He has the same wit & charm as Dara O'Briein. He s very natural. Maybe the shortening is because they are struggling to find interesting people to interview ?

It says a lot that I listen & enjoy the parenting slot & I don't even have kids :)

Not at this stage of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Nah, there will always be an unlimited supply of American nutjobs for him to interview.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I won't miss Yates and Chris in the morning. It's like listening to two dorky teenagers chatting on the Dart. The big change as far as I'm concerned is the shortening of Sean Moncrieff's show. Absolutely love this programme!

I am them same, I have been listening to the Moncrieff show since the start. Before the show went to its current length some years ago (not sure how long its been the current length) I found a good chunk of the interviews rushed and he would have to cut people off a lot.

I hope this does not happen again now with the show getting shorter, nothing worse than having a good guest and they cut them short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

How much did he pay you to say that?

Advertisement