Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newstalk reshuffle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

The morning show will tank, as will Chris Donoghue's new show - he definitely didn't deserve that.

I do agree with you on this. I was thinking about why they have made such HUGE changes. I guess their hands are forced on the Hook/Yates issues so certain dramatic changes were going to be made whether they wanted them or not. But I'm baffled as to how they think that a bunch of broadcasting rookies with no real colour/personality/opinions can fill in for what was there, and why a fanfare was needed to bring us the news of they imminent arrival to our airwaves!

Why didnt they just get Chris O'Donoghue and Shane Coleman to do alternate 24 hour shifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Agree. Really like Coleman and Chris. But they need someone in the corner playing devils advocate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Will it be two hours of George pushing his life views on everyone?

He's getting much worse at that, i think that might be podcast time for me.

Glad there's more Pat Kenny show.

Why more OTB?

Is Tom Dunne as normal?

Surprised I don't see more Bobby Kerr on there, they seem to be giving him more and more airtime.

They better, and I mean better not f*ck with movies and booze.

Sorry to be the one to break to you Donie, Tom has been gone from that slot for years.:p

The Jonathan Healy show has been axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think he means Tom Dunnes current slot, after Off the Ball.

I do agree with you on this. I was thinking about why they have made such HUGE changes. I guess their hands are forced on the Hook/Yates issues so certain dramatic changes were going to be made whether they wanted them or not. But I'm baffled as to how they think that a bunch of broadcasting rookies with no real colour/personality/opinions can fill in for what was there, and why a fanfare was needed to bring us the news of they imminent arrival to our airwaves!

On second thoughts, Yates is only gone for a year. He will come back and rejoin Chris. He always wanted the drivetime slot. If/when he does return, that will work out fine. A Shane Coleman led breakfast show won't thought.

Then again there isn't an obvious candidate out there to take over the show. Unless they poach someone else from RTE, but Pat Kenny hasn't worked as well as they expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I would fear that the Newstalk left wing agenda will be further rammed down our throats without any independent thinker there to challenge them.

'Left wing agenda' really? How? Who? 'Secular liberal' maybe, but no more so than everyone else these days IMO...Anyway I'm concerned to hear that you're strapped down and forced to listen to the station all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Geroge Hook at lunchtime? Sweet Jesus.

Don't think they ever properly replaced Eamon Keane in that slot personally. What was the reason behind his departure?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Personally, i think reducing Moncrieff to 2 hours is a good move. A more condensed show with less of the filler could be very good for him.

I'd take an hour of Sean filing over Hook's narcissism and Donoghue's incoherence any day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Paul Williams?
    Whoy, whoy?

I think Hook will suit the lunch time slot, as it is you have the business show before 7, then the breakfast show, then Kenny.

Another topical current affairs type magazine is not needed at that time, you're already fed up with it all by that stage so a bit of light relief would work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,563 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    OTB
    Their mention is very, very weird. I genuinely believe it's a snide "F*ck you guys!" to the Second Captains lads.

They're hardly in a position to be doing that though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was listening to David McWilliams on OTB the other day thinking I'd have liked to see him come back on board.

'Left wing agenda' really? How? Who? 'Secular liberal' maybe, but no more so than everyone else these days IMO...Anyway I'm concerned to hear that you're strapped down and forced to listen to the station all day...

Sorry, liberal was what I meant to say. I would find that RTE have a better balance. They are less likely to ask loaded questions (like O'donoghue does) and tend to have a more balanced debate. A lot times you get the feeling that the Newstalk presenter is on the pro/con side of the argument for the topic that is being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

They're hardly in a position to be doing that though.

Just announced, Second Captains joining Radio 1 on Sunday mornings.

pc7 wrote: »
    I was listening to David McWilliams on OTB the other day thinking I'd have liked to see him come back on board.

Lord jesus no way, he's awful.

heybaby wrote: »

I thought you were taking the piss, but nope..
    http://www.hotpress.com/Second-Captains/news/RT-Radio-1-Announces-New-Series-of-Second-Captains/17563088.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

So they're taking an hour off Moncrieff, one of the best interviewers they have, who usually has very interesting topics and they are giving OTB an extra half hour on top of the three hours they already have to tell what's coming up on their show, it's the last time they should let someone in on work experience devise their schedule.

What's the craic with George? All this fanfare about him leaving and he's staying after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I'd take an hour of Sean filing over Hook's narcissism and Donoghue's incoherence every single day

Changed that a little bit.

The big questions are around what format the new shows with existing presenters will take.

I love George, but I just don't have any interest in hearing him blather on about going back to mass/Trump's nonsense/Cyclists/school in Cork 60 years ago/his mother etc unchecked for 2 hours every day.

Chris on drivetime? I'd have my reservations, to be honest.

It strikes me a madness that the show that got reduced to accomodate more OTB is Moncrieff. Ask me bollix.

heybaby wrote: »

What's gonna happen to *cough cough cough* marian *cough* finucane.

• Advertisement

What's gonna happen to *cough cough cough* marian *cough* finucane.

AFAIK they're just covering for Miriam O'Callaghan for the summer

AFAIK they're just covering for Miriam O'Callaghan for the summer

Ah yeah, that would make sense alright. Only one hour then if they are replacing Miriam. I wish they would change that name Second Captains. It's a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

First captains, second captains... whatever.

Ah yeah, that would make sense alright. Only one hour then if they are replacing Miriam. I wish they would change that name Second Captains. It's a bit stupid.

Yeah I assume they latched onto it first as a dig at Steve Staunton's vacuity but it was Ken who brought up the term. How are interviewees supposed to respond to respond to that sort of inane leading question without resorting to either further inanity or rudeness?

Anyway they're kind of stuck with it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Geroge Hook at lunchtime? Sweet Jesus.

Don't think they ever properly replaced Eamon Keane in that slot personally. What was the reason behind his departure?

"health"

or TBH he quit when orders from above came down to "talk up the economy" when we were about to face financial Armageddon. ya notice a FAIR few guest stop being invited on too as they were "off message"

about the only thing im happy with here is i was wrong in thinking pat rabbite was gonna replace ivan. i had a real fear that'd happen.

the pat kenny george hook double act will do well IMO and to take up what another poster said i reckon colette will be ok with shane.

her current show is MEANT to be feminst focused . so now she's just doing a normal show i reckon thatll be toned down .

but no bleeding way am i going near breakfast if williams is anywhere near it. be back to morning ireland for me.

i give em credit for doing such a big shake up, but also have to ask why with a europe of 500 million out there THIS is all we get on the national airwaves.

no broadcasters anywhere else on the continent up to the job?

:D:D:D:D

Hook staying on. Said that he didnt want to work up to 7pm any more so NT offered him lunch time instead.

So George is staying :pac:

longshanks wrote: »
    First captains, second captains... whatever.

That's probably what the NT finance people said when they were asked the question "Who were those people that walked out after we didnt give in to their ultimatum?"

Hook staying on. Said that he didnt want to work up to 7pm any more so NT offered him lunch time instead.

So George is staying :pac:

Or maybe he's missing the tv gig more than he thought he did. And looked at the likes of Bill O'Herlihy and Terry Wogan, in their graves just months after retiring...

I don't pay any attention to those JNLR figures, since they appear to be b*llocks (I had no reason not to trust them, until the OTB fiasco. The old lads left, every single bloke I knew who was a fan stopped listening, and the JNLRs stayed constant. My arse.).

But is there any justification - manipulated or otherwise - for increasing the length of the show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I don't pay any attention to those JNLR figures, since they appear to be b*llocks (I had no reason not to trust them, until the OTB fiasco. The old lads left, every single bloke I knew who was a fan stopped listening, and the JNLRs stayed constant. My arse.).

But is there any justification - manipulated or otherwise - for increasing the length of the show?

The 'hilarious' banter no doubt.

Thinking on it now, I'm quite looking forward to extended Pat leading into unknown Hook territory. Colour me interested at least.

Advertisement