Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newstalk reshuffle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I notice they're saying the breakfast show now starts at 7am. Just wondering is the business show at 06.30 gone? It's a good daily show and gives the topic some depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Jesus, how the hell are they going to squeeze another 30 minutes every day out of the parched husk that is OTB?

Pity to see Moncrieff getting squeezed to accommodate other shows. I know Hook has his fans, more power to him, but even his fans have to admit that there's actually very little substance to him. I've never come away from a show knowing anything new or with a fresh perspective on anything. I don't think you have to be 100% impartial to be a good, entertaining broadcaster but the unique selling point and appeal of a contrary pensioner with entrenched views who's blind and deaf to dissenting voices and popular culture past 1965 is lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Drag00n79 wrote: »
    Just wondering is the business show at 06.30 gone? It's a good daily show and gives the topic some depth.

That's still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

That's the morning show gone for me..Paul williams and co. No thanks.
    Same for lunchtime. Used to.enjoy Healy but cannot stand George hook. A big load of meh....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I don't pay any attention to those JNLR figures, since they appear to be b*llocks (I had no reason not to trust them, until the OTB fiasco. The old lads left, every single bloke I knew who was a fan stopped listening, and the JNLRs stayed constant. My arse.).

But is there any justification - manipulated or otherwise - for increasing the length of the show?

I think what the announcement is saying is that the likes of Ger Gilroy will pop in after 6:30 to chat sport, similar to "The Last Word on Sport" on a Friday for example.

I presume they're just adding a sports element to the end of the show because maybe Chris and Sarah don't have much knowledge/interest in it, so having them host with OTB guys as guests sort of makes sense, as it leads to cross-promotion of the shows as well as filling a potential sports void.

I could be massively wrong on that of course, but I think that'w what they're going for, even if the announcement wasn't that clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    so having them host with OTB guys as guests sort of makes sense, as it leads to cross-promotion of the shows as well as filling a potential sports void.

I don't think so considering there's a 3 hour sports show coming right up after it, don't see the need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hookie for two hours at lunch, dear God.
    Coleman is respectably dull, as annoying as Yates is he does act as a counter to his pious middle of the road co-pilots.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think so considering there's a 3 hour sports show coming right up after it, don't see the need for it.

Dunno. We'll have to see how it plays out. Like, if it was twice a week for 15 minutes at the end of the Monday and Friday shows doing a review and preview of the weekend respectively, I would understand it. Like, there is a sports show on after, but OTB isn't drivetime, so maybe NT feel they need sport as part of their drivetime show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

OK, the people who made this comment have a vested interest, but:
    RTE wrote:
    The new schedule will also address the criticism levelled at the station over the lack of female on-air presenters during its daily output.
    Obviously Colette and Sarah are meant to address this, but Pat->George->Sean still means no wimmin on the air for seven straight hours ... :P

Mind you, thinking about it, RTEs schedule of Ryan->Sean->Richard->Joe->Ray means the same thing ....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

What's happened Jonathon Healy - never liked him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

So that's what all the fuss was about this morning between Ivan & Chris - I wasn't sure if it was a big wind-up with Yates finishing up this Friday.

Yeah NewsTalk Breakfast has been growing on me and Ivan & Chris did well as I imagine it had a tiny budget when compared to the long established and massive listenership enjoyed by Morning Ireland on RTÉ Radio 1.

As a loyal listener of "The Right Hook" with George Hook, I wonder if any of the current regular features of his programme will remain with the new Drivetime programme due to launch. Popular slots on George's current show include The Right Hook Health Check-Up with Dr. Ciara Kelly, Bill Hughes and his Essential Songs of the 20th Century, Movies on The Right Hook with Philip Molloy, Right Hook Travel with Manchan Magan, Michael Graham shock jock ranting from USA, and so on etc; I enjoyed most of these slots. Perhaps some of these regular contributors will follow George to his new Lunchtime slot unless they will continue to air on the new Drivetime programme.

Eamon Keane was excellent on Lunchtime some years back and you also had Damien Kiberd doing the slot for a while too. Remember when Declan Carty did a late night programme called on weeknights called "Late Night Live" which used broadcast straight after "Off The Ball". It was axed when the economic downturn came about around 2008/2009 if I'm not mistaken. I'd have to agree with most contributors to this thread about the involvement of Williams and Quinlan on the new Breakfast Show on NewsTalk as they would not be inclined to draw my attention as both can sound quite depressing and we don't really need this early in the morning. The banter between Yates and O'Donoghue in between the more serious hard news struck a much better balance but perhaps they will shock us and deliver the goods. Good luck to all involved anyway. I will miss George doing The Right Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Why would they take an hour off Moncrieff, IMO the best afternoon broadcaster on Irish radio? It's not like they don't spend enough hours on serious political programmes before and after him. If you aren't interested in listening to music programmes in the afternoon, only for Moncrieff, we'd be subjected to the Duffy/D'arcy boresfest on Radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Eamon Keane was excellent on Lunchtime some years back

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! :eek: He was appalling. Total spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

The new schedule will also address the criticism levelled at the station over the lack of female on-air presenters during its daily output.

How very Newstalk to pander to the feminists, rather than put the person with most talent on air. I wonder will they introduce quotas.

Seriously though, RTE must be rubbing their hands looking at that. I can see a lot of people going back to Morning Ireland in droves, and possibly even people going back to Mary Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Genghis

Can't get enthused about Coleman on breakfast. Nice guy, articulate, intelligent but also inoffensive safe and conciliatory, which does make for a poor replacement for Yates.

Can't yet picture how Chris will do in evening, he works great with Ivan not so much without. As one poster said, maybe it's creating a place for Yates to come back to.

Love OTB but the wishy washy idea of melding the two shows looks messy.

Glad PK got extra hour he was being killed by SOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Really going to miss Ivan & Chris in the morning. Is he officially leaving Friday?
    My ten year old daughter has been recording Chris and Ivan all week because she loves listening to 'Grumpy Ivan' and 'Nice Chris' during breakfast and on the drive to school. I know how she feels, it really will be 'Mourning Ireland' from next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

CFlat wrote: »
    Why would they take an hour off Moncrieff, IMO the best afternoon broadcaster on Irish radio? It's not like they don't spend enough hours on serious political programmes before and after him. If you aren't interested in listening to music programmes in the afternoon, only for Moncrieff, we'd be subjected to the Duffy/D'arcy boresfest on Radio 1.

An hour and a half of George and give MonCrieff two and half hours.
    He's a class interviewer in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

MrsD007 wrote: »
    My ten year old daughter has been recording Chris and Ivan all week because she loves listening to 'Grumpy Ivan' and 'Nice Chris' during breakfast and on the drive to school.
    I think we've discovered Ireland's answer to Lady Mormont:

lyanna-jeor2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Moncrieff is the only thing left I'll be willing to listen to, he's fantastic but Williams is truly scraping the barrel in my opinion. Would have loved to see people like Colette Browne or Beatty from Kildare FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Back to morning Ireland for me I think, couldn't listen to Paul Williams at all.

I am not sure how George at mid day will work out, I listen to the drive time show, and enjoy it. But won't be able to go listen at the new time & I'm sure that they're many like me, who won't be following him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Birdsong wrote: »
    Back to morning Ireland for me I think, couldn't listen to Paul Williams at all.

Given the nature of Paul Williams previous line of work, is it really a good idea for him to be stationed at the same desk, at the same hours, for five days a week. Surely now Six Shooter O'Shaughnessy or any of the other criminals that Williams wrote about will now know where to find him?

Actually now that I think about it, could they move Chris O'Donoghue back to the morning show to co host with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Paul Williams is an odd choice I think, but why do they need 3 breakfast presenters plus the sports fella. Dont like Coleman

I am glad Hooky is staying at the station at least.I do like alot of his segments on the show, I wonder will he keep some of them??

Maybe Healy is moving to the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Did Wooly leave off the ball? He was always worth listening too, really added a lot of personality to an otherwise dry setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I miss some half decent talk radio at night not the usual skank slurred radio discussions

Bring back Mark Coleman and Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 28,764 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'll miss Ivan and Chris in the morning anyway.. don't think the replacements will be up to the task so I'm not sure where I'll switch to now.

Hook is ok in small doses but I won't be able to listen at lunchtime anyway

Moncrieff is ok but like Hook only in small doses - sorry, don't feel the love that others seem to :)

Kenny is good on current affairs but again I'd be in work anyway

All that's left for me then is the evening drive time and OTB by the look of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Did Wooly leave off the ball? He was always worth listening too, really added a lot of personality to an otherwise dry setup.
    Yep, gone to Joe.ie, surprised at how widely this has been mourned actually.
    Williams is truly scraping the barrel in my opinion.

Someone on politics.ie pointed out that this could be a massive (and hopefully entertaining) car crash. Williams isn't used to being contradicted so could see him throwing a big wobbly the first time he interviews a Shinner say.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jesus, Alan Quinlan doing sport in the morning? Every sentence will start with "yeah, well, ya know"....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I will suspend judgement on these changes until I hear all concerned in action.

In relation to Paul Williams, he used to host a program on the north-west station Ocean FM - in an opt-out for the Leitrim area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I miss some half decent talk radio at night not the usual skank slurred radio discussions

Bring back Mark Coleman and Bill

the late debate on RTE is pretty good (when its hosted by cormac, FEAR it when keelin shanleys on :) )

i miss mark and bill to.

fupping mad, but entertaining mad.

newstalks looking to be VERY tame now. not a contrarian insight past hook. sarah and chris for instance will be very bland. practically the same person in different genders. though it IS funny how often sarah gets things spectacularly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Lonestar1

Lets hope Oisin (Langer) is gone, he makes so many mistakes presenting his sports report, he should come with tippex!

Advertisement