Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newstalk reshuffle

Options
  • 28-06-2016 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭

This will answer many of the questions posed around here lately.

So the new breakfast show lineup has been rolled out.
    http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/76051/
    Newstalk’s political Editor Shane Coleman will be joined by TV3 news broadcaster Collette Fitzpatrick, INM’s Paul Williams and former Irish Rugby star Alan Quinlan to anchor the station’s new Breakfast Show.

Doesn't appeal to me at all. I've no issue with Collette but misery guts Paul Williams is not someone I want to listen to every morning. Hard to see where Quinlan fits in?

Pat gets 9 -12 and George gets a new 12-2pm show. Might take a few listeners from the News at 1? Might also gain a few listeners over the current lunchtime slot which doesn't really know what it should be.

Sean 2-4 and the new drivetime show, 4 - 7, with Chris and Sarah McInerney, who I think is good.

The next bit doesn't make sense,
    The Off the Ball team will be joining Chris and Sarah on a regular basis from 6:30pm, ahead of their own 7pm programme.
    Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ThisRegard wrote: »

Doesn't appeal to me at all. I've no issue with Collette but misery guts Paul Williams is not someone I want to listen to every morning. Hard to see where Quinlan fits in?

Pat gets 9 -12 and George gets a new 12-2pm show. Might take a few listeners from the News at 1? Might also gain a few listeners over the current lunchtime slot which doesn't really know what it should be.

Sean 2-4 and the new drivetime show, 4 - 7, with Chris and Sarah McInerney, who I think is good.

The next bit doesn't make sense, Why?

Hook postponed his retirement then? I guess they gotta try something with Ivan leaving. Starting the drivetime at 4 should be a good move ratings-wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The spiel says it's the new Autumn schedule, so I dunno, is he just there in the afternoon until the winter, or as you say, a more long term thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

The next bit doesn't make sense, Why?

Paul Williams and Alan Quinlan, dour dour dour. Quinlan is one of the dullest sporting commentators around.

Off the ball starting earlier? Wasnt that What Eoin Mc devitt were looking for before they left, oh the irony.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

oh god I really dislike Colette on the radio and shane, think I'll bore myself to death on the drive to work with RTE (or save some of the off the ball podcasts for the drive).
    George at 12, I thought he was retiring?
    Has Jonathan Healy been sacked?

I did a panel recently for Newstalk and it was questioning what people liked/disliked. He was very disliked in the panel I was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Healy kicked to the curb?

• Advertisement

The spiel says it's the new Autumn schedule, so I dunno, is he just there in the afternoon until the winter, or as you say, a more long term thing?

Maybe he balked at the idea of spending all day every day with the lovely Ingrid.:P If he's part of the big relaunch you'd imagine he intends to be there for a couple of years at least.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Looks like Quinlan will be taking over the sports anchor role. A real Morning Ireland feel to the line up now. I wonder what it means for Oisin Langan...

heybaby wrote: »
    Off the ball starting earlier? Wasnt that What Eoin Mc devitt were looking for before they left, oh the irony.

I dunno what that's about. Maybe it'll their normal 7-7:30 news roundup brought forward mixed in with the end of the drive time slot in order to, for want of a better word, dumb it down a bit. They're missing someone like Parkinson at the moment so it's all pretty stiff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Odd changes and will be interesting to see how they do.

I will miss the existing lunchtime format it's a nice catch up when it's on, replacing it with George is wrong as he is over the hill. I am still not convinced Chris is strong enough for such an important slot I hope his coanchor is decent.

Just another reason for me to turn the dial away from newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Quintis wrote: »
    Healy kicked to the curb?

Maybe a weekend gig? Or just an on-the-beat reporter, I'd imagine he'd be okay at that...

Off the Ball hasn't been cancelled, they're getting an additional 30 minutes from the drive time slot.

Lots of people on twitter seem to be upset that Healy doesn't seem to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Faugheen wrote: »
    Looks like Quinlan will be taking over the sports anchor role. A real Morning Ireland feel to the line up now. I wonder what it means for Oisin Langan...

Hopefully.....he's.....gone......completely......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Jonathan Healy will be able to do one of those emotive, hang-dog, "Barts people" type stories about himself.

Dont like Colette Fitzpatrick and her Loose Women on the radio program.

Great that George Hook is not retiring, would have loved if he'd taken over Moncreiff's full schedule.

Kind of funny that OTB are now going to share the 6-7pm hour with the drive time show, given that that is the reason that the Second Captains guys left.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just a few thoughts...

Breakfast
    Paul Williams? Really? Are NT expecting a crime wave or something? Because I've nver heard Williams talk about anything other than gangland and Veronica Guerin...
    Don't know much about Alan Quinlan, but does the show really need what would apear to be a dedicated "sports guy"?
    Collette and Coleman are decent enough presenters, no issues with either of them tbh. I would be concerned though that there'll be no "edge" to it. You need someone who's not afraid to play devil's advocate every now and then to make for interesting listening IMO.

George
    I think what's probably happening here is George is still leaving as planned, so they wanted to launch their new drivetime show at the same time as the new Breakfast show, and as such Hook made way.

Drivetime
    I like Chris on Breakfast (most of the time), so I'm happy to see he'll still be around. Don't really know Sarah McInerne, but I'll definitely be giving this a go. I'm not a big fan of CA at drivetime, I generally prefer to just throw on Eoghan McDermott as something light, but if this new show isn't just another dour Last Word / Drivetime show, I may stick around.

OTB
    Their mention is very, very weird. I genuinely believe it's a snide "F*ck you guys!" to the Second Captains lads.

Overall
    Has potential IMO. I have a feeling it won't work out, but I'm willing to give them a shot. A bit disappointed that Breakfast loses an hour. That 9-10 hour was perfect for allowing them to do more longform segments and interviews.

Side note on Jonathan Healy, I reckon he'll be taking over as political editor from Shane Coleman. Probably wrong though. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Don't know much about Alan Quinlan, but does the show really need what would apear to be a dedicated "sports guy"?

Maybe not a bad idea, if he builds up a bit of rapport with Coleman they can chat away when they need to fill time...

They kind of have to take a chance on blooding new talent so I'll give him a go.

Chris and Ivan had the yin and yang, afraid himself and Sarah will be just double yin...

Just a few thoughts...

Breakfast
    Paul Williams? Really? Are NT expecting a crime wave or something? Because I've nver heard Williams talk about anything other than gangland and Veronica Guerin...

Williams has been doing this odd podcast the last while, hosted on the Indo, one of his most recent interviews was with Duffy, and I gather it was all about de gangs and de criminals. I think he's being used as the LCD for the show.

As you say, I don't know why they need a dedicated sports guy for a breakfast show, if that's what he's there for. If he is, it could have potential if they do a sort of magazine slot, like profiles of lesser known Irish sports people and sports. Better than having him there for an hourly roundup. I think he has potential when he gets comfy with the medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Two hours of Shane Coleman every morning? No thanks :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Maybe not a bad idea, if he builds up a bit of rapport with Coleman they can chat away when they need to fill time...

Fair point. I guess I'm just wondering will they still have Oisin Langan or someone reading the sports bulletins, and then have Quinlan on during the hour, or will Quinlan do the current style 8:25 sports chat with the newsreader, or will Quinlan be the newsreader chatting to Coleman/Colette...

We shall see I suppose. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Brother camping

Good idea starting PK @ 9am, his ratings have been at a standstill for too longl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nothing to listen to in the mornings now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Just a few thoughts...
    Drivetime
    I like Chris on Breakfast (most of the time), so I'm happy to see he'll still be around. Don't really know Sarah McInerne, but I'll definitely be giving this a go. I'm not a big fan of CA at drivetime, I generally prefer to just throw on Eoghan McDermott as something light, but if this new show isn't just another dour Last Word / Drivetime show, I may stick around.

I think she could be a bit of a dark horse. Seen her a few times on Vinnie B's show and she's intelligent and articulate. Should make a nice pairing with Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Im delighted with this revamp, especially as it means i dont have to hear chris donohue. I thought they would just replace Ivan with Coleman or something. Also George and Pat are on at times that suit me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 AloisaAdolf

Interesting changes. I feel Breakfast is doomed without Ivan. Don't think Williams cuts the mustard as a replacement (I'm guessing he's there to challenge the status quo based on the few times I've heard him talk current affairs but not a fan. He reminds me of Ian O'Doherty.). Not sure about Quinlan and I won't even start on Coleman and Fitz.

If anyone can anchor a 3 hour show it's PK. Good decision.

I doubt George will ever retire. That's a pretty solid five hours imo.

Healy gone AT LAST. :)

3 hours for Moncrieff was too long so no complaints here.

Awful choice for drive. I suspect they think Chris is a lot more popular than he actually is. Also neither of them cross me as sports fans so I don't know how that will work. Strange decision.

Hopefully OTB gets a bit of a shakeup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

It's a very quick "promotion" for Paul williams, as a guy with really no other experience other than his podcast, which started fairly recently. But in all honesty, the podcast is just Paul Williams licking the .... boots of some of his media pals. The one with Joe Duffy is particularly nauseating.

https://soundcloud.com/the-paul-williams-podcast

Another risk is Sarah McInerney and Chris. Newstalk dont need more pleasant group thinkers, they need somebody who challenges the consensus. Having her on with Chris O'Donoghue will mean that nobody will challenge his left wing drivel. Not in the way that Yates did. And lets be honest any time Yates was away, the show with just Chris was poor.

Similarly Colette Fitzpatrick and her feminist rants. Shane Coleman wont challenge her, as he's passive. He's a good broadcaster and the perfect fit for the Sunday show, but certainly not a "personality" that can carry the morning show like Ivan did.

I would fear that the Newstalk left wing agenda will be further rammed down our throats without any independent thinker there to challenge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

It's a very quick "promotion" for Paul williams, as a guy with really no other experience other than his podcast, which started fairly recently. But in all honesty, the podcast is just Paul Williams licking the .... boots of some of his media pals. The one with Joe Duffy is particularly nauseating.

https://soundcloud.com/the-paul-williams-podcast

I would fear that the Newstalk left wing agenda will be further rammed down our throats without any independent thinker there to challenge them.

Except it doesn't have a left wing agenda and nothing is being rammed down your throat, you can always "move the dial".

I'm pissed off the Moncrieff that has lost an hour, he deserved better than that. The morning show will tank, as will Chris Donoghue's new show - he definitely didn't deserve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Faugheen wrote: »

Was wondering the same. Poor old Ush.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Except it doesn't have a left wing agenda and nothing is being rammed down your throat, you can always "move the dial".

I'm pissed off the Moncrieff that has lost an hour, he deserved better than that. The morning show will tank, as will Chris Donoghue's new show - he definitely didn't deserve that.

Personally, i think reducing Moncrieff to 2 hours is a good move. A more condensed show with less of the filler could be very good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Will it be two hours of George pushing his life views on everyone?

He's getting much worse at that, i think that might be podcast time for me.

Glad there's more Pat Kenny show.

Why more OTB?

Is Tom Dunne as normal?

Surprised I don't see more Bobby Kerr on there, they seem to be giving him more and more airtime.

They better, and I mean better not f*ck with movies and booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Really going to miss Ivan & Chris in the morning. Is he officially leaving Friday?

Advertisement