Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bill Simmons said that Dany Ainge said to assess the "current" (as in pre the craziness) value of a contract divide the new contract value by 2 for some perspective. It's interesting if you do it like that!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The cap this year is $94 million. An increase to $102 is big, but smaller than expected. And the projection is trending downwards.

Dat Mozgov contract...

I don't think that's the worst tbh.

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I understand his thinking 100%

Head home

After seeing LBJ doing it

Im sure he thought it would be awesome

Miami kept low balling him

Not really the same though. James came back to a team he left.

I honestly thought he might go ring chasing, be that (most likely) with LeJon or elsewhere, but he ain't winning anything in Chicago. I also think looking at Wade his best days are behind him. I'd say he'll have an ok year this year (his productivity will drop as he won't be option 1 anymore with Butler on that team) but I can honestly see him falling off a cliff in year 2 of that contract. He "looks" (from a playing perspective) older than he is. I don't see him being of enormous value in year 2. I just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I honestly thought if Wade was going anywhere i would be to Cleveland somehow.....but obviously money matters to some guys more than others (not a slight on Wade by the way, I understand he's from/has ties to Chicago).

Some of the reaction to Wade leaving is beyond ridiculous. He is the biggest and most successful athlete to ever play in Miami, he has given them so much success and has lost roughly 25 million in accommodating other players to establish championship teams, now you get some muppet fan burning his jersey so they can get their 10 seconds of fame, burning the jersey is soooo lebron leaving Cleaveland, get over it people. You could argue Miami should of given him more out of loyalty like Kobe got and Dirk got but it's still business and that's how it goes.
    Same with Durrant, only months ago NBA journalists were claiming he was one of the most humble and genuine athletes around as he help tornado victims from the back of a food truck, now these same muppets are questioning his integrity over moving jobs.
    It really pisses me off how ESPN journalists, if you could even call them that, invent these scenarios on what the player should of done.
    Even Barkley calling out Durrant, the same guy that demanded trades from sixers and Suns trying to win a championship.
    This lie of the best should try and beat the best, who made this up ?? The best want to win and if they think they can win somewhere else then best of luck to them.
    Oh I could rant all night

Some of the reaction to Wade leaving is beyond ridiculous. He is the biggest and most successful athlete to ever play in Miami, he has given them so much success and has lost roughly 25 million in accommodating other players to establish championship teams, now you get some muppet fan burning his jersey so they can get their 10 seconds of fame, burning the jersey is soooo lebron leaving Cleaveland, get over it people. You could argue Miami should of given him more out of loyalty like Kobe got and Dirk got but it's still business and that's how it goes.
    Same with Durrant, only months ago NBA journalists were claiming he was one of the most humble and genuine athletes around as he help tornado victims from the back of a food truck, now these same muppets are questioning his integrity over moving jobs.
    It really pisses me off how ESPN journalists, if you could even call them that, invent these scenarios on what the player should of done.
    Even Barkley calling out Durrant, the same guy that demanded trades from sixers and Suns trying to win a championship.
    This lie of the best should try and beat the best, who made this up ?? The best want to win and if they think they can win somewhere else then best of luck to them.

Think you're taking me up the wrong way there! I actually thought he would leave, I'm just surprised he didn't go to a contender.

Dan Marino might disagree with you on the athlete part though! :D I was in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale in Jan. I saw 10 football jerseys for every 1 basketball jersey I saw.......

• Advertisement

Think you're taking me up the wrong way there! I actually thought he would leave, I'm just surprised he didn't go to a contender.

Dan Marino might disagree with you on the athlete part though! :D I was in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale in Jan. I saw 10 football jerseys for every 1 basketball jersey I saw.......
    Sorry wasn't aimed at you, just US sports media in general.
    Dan Marino never actually won anything did he ? Wade has brought 3 championships !
    Football will always be #1 sport but in terms of success Miami has had, basketball is the leader there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Israel Gutierrez spoke about Marino and Wade on Around the Horn awhile back you can see the clip on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheHorn/videos/1193089480725087/

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Israel Gutierrez spoke about Marino and Wade on Around the Horn awhile back you can see the clip on facebook

I miss being able to watch Around the Horn and PTI every day. :(

So I've been digging deeper.

Apparently...say sources close to Durant and OKC (not sure how reliable that is btw, but that's what the article said!)........the real problem with him re-signing with OKC was that Westbrook wouldn't commit past next year EVEN IF Durant stayed. KD's only real chance at signing with GS was this summer as they couldn't have made the money work next year as they'd have had to gve Barnes a max this year (which seems insane on so many levels) AND Curry is due his next year at circa $200m. Durant's only chance to sign with GS was this year.

It is plausible. How accurate it is I guess we'll likely never know.

McLoughlin wrote: »

While he makes some good points he's ignoring the fact that Miami as a city is frickin' old population wise. While I'm sure he's right in that the kids don't know who Marino is......there's an awful lot of old white dudes in Miami and Florida in general who probably have no idea who Wade is!

• Advertisement

Dan Marino never actually won anything did he ? Wade has brought 3 championships !
    Football will always be #1 sport but in terms of success Miami has had, basketball is the leader there

1 really. he piggybacked LeJon for the other two.
    And the 1 was a bit of a con job. Dallas got screwed in Games 3-6 of that series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

So I've been digging deeper.

Apparently...say sources close to Durant and OKC (not sure how reliable that is btw, but that's what the article said!)........the real problem with him re-signing with OKC was that Westbrook wouldn't commit past next year EVEN IF Durant stayed. KD's only real chance at signing with GS was this summer as they couldn't have made the money work next year as they'd have had to gve Barnes a max this year (which seems insane on so many levels) AND Curry is due his next year at circa $200m. Durant's only chance to sign with GS was this year.

It is plausible. How accurate it is I guess we'll likely never know.

Thats perfectly understandable logic tbh

Ive said all along regarding Durant I never saw him going to Lakers

But I 100% see Westbrook rocking purple and gold

I honestly think he told Durant this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

And the 1 was a bit of a con job. Dallas got screwed in Games 3-6 of that series.

Ah you cant take the titles away from Wade

How many stars won without a second

Jordan had Pippen

Kobe had Shaq/Gasol

LBJ had Wade/Bosh/Love/Irving

Curry had the death squad

Wade was Miamis best champion

But shows how far behind football basketball is when Marino is there ultimate here after never winning anything

I understand Wade leaving and I understand Chicago

Like yourself I thought hed go to a title chaser

Nope, I never really agree with this arguments, they may have some merit in them but I generally disagree.
    One could make the argument that Lebron needed Wade as much as wade needed Lebron. For me it's a case of, the pieces assembled in Miami for those championships are what gave them success, Lebron has come short many times due to not having the correct pieces.
    People say Kobe wouldn't of won without Shaq but it goes both ways.
    This illusion that one player should win it all by himself is a myth, even Jordan needed help.

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Thats perfectly understandable logic tbh

Ive said all along regarding Durant I never saw him going to Lakers

But I 100% see Westbrook rocking purple and gold

I honestly think he told Durant this

It's also a very dark move by Russell as he knew KD would get all the blame for breaking up the team.....

On the rings thing though the one I always use to qualify that nugget is:

Kurt Rambis has more rings than Larry Bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

On the rings thing though the one I always use to qualify that nugget is:

Kurt Rambis has more rings than Larry Bird.

Bird was the main guy on his team Rambos was not close this is a massively pedantic argument to make

There is a Summer league player throwing granny style free throws. Hope that he succeeds in the nba could get a few guys deandre an Andre to grow up and at least try it

nerd69 wrote: »
    There is a Summer league player throwing granny style free throws. Hope that he succeeds in the nba could get a few guys deandre an Andre to grow up and at least try it

Malcolm Gladwell talked about this on the Bill Simmons podcast and on his own and there's article on it in a recent sports illustrated interviewing him about this very thing. All very interesting.

Wilt did this for a while (including his 100point game) and Rick Barry did it his entire career.

Gladwell's thesis revolves around the fact that guys won't try it because it's not "cool"; he states that if you're a 50% ft shooter, you should be going to Barry and paying him to coach you. If you're DeAndre and you move from 50% to 75% that changes everything about your game - and ultimately your payday.

Bird was the main guy on his team Rambos was not close this is a massively pedantic argument to make

Of course I know that! The point is made to highlight the also flawed argument about rings.

Facts are Rambis has more rings than Bird. Who's the better player? No contest.

• Advertisement

Of course I know that! The point is made to highlight the also flawed argument about rings.

Facts are Rambis has more rings than Bird. Who's the better player? No contest.

Rambis has rings as a backup do no that is not a flaw in the argument nobody has wee said Rambos is the goat because he has so many rings so the flaw your picking is not relivant.

We can discuss the validity of the rings argument but what your saying is a terrible argument

Rambis has rings as a backup do no that is not a flaw in the argument nobody has wee said Rambos is the goat because he has so many rings so the flaw your picking is not relivant.

We can discuss the validity of the rings argument but what your saying is a terrible argument

It's not my quote! It's a fairly famous one that's been thrown about for donkeys years any time this conversation/argument comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Houston extend Harden, 4 / 118 with the last year a player option. Great deal all round imo. Harden is the heart and soul of that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Houston extend Harden, 4 / 118 with the last year a player option. Great deal all round imo. Harden is the heart and soul of that team.

Which is precisely the problem for them IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Dario Saric is coming to the nba this season for the sixers. Will be interesting to see how he.gets on. he was just named mvp of the Olympic qualifying tournament.

Dario Saric is coming to the nba this season for the sixers. Will be interesting to see how he.gets on. he was just named mvp of the Olympic qualifying tournament.

They are also insisting embid is good to go this year they could be an interesting watch

Paully D wrote: »
    Which is precisely the problem for them IMO.

+1 on that.

Harden has gone from a truly elite team player thst added so much to the entire team into a 1 V 5 black hole that destroys any notion of team culture. He's Like Melo, except Melo was never the team player Harden was in the first place.

+1 on that.

Harden has gone from a truly elite team player thst added so much to the entire team into a 1 V 5 black hole that destroys any notion of team culture. He's Like Melo, except Melo was never the team player Harden was in the first place.

I think he's worse than melo to be honest he must be the most frustrating player in the entire league to play with. That why i still think howard can do a decent job

I think he's worse than melo to be honest he must be the most frustrating player in the entire league to play with. That why i still think howard can do a decent job

Harden averages almost 2 APG more than Melo over his career and averaged over 3 more per game last year.....

There's black holes, and there's Melo! ;)

I take your point though on Howard. He'll be better statistically this year than last, I don't doubt that at all. It's all the other BS I didn't want him bringing to Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Harden practically guarantees a team playoffs in the West. In the current NBA landscape where only two teams have a realistic shot at titling anyway, that's worth a lot imo.

Advertisement