Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's been very quiet around here lately......

This is worth a read:
    http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/12/nba-top-100-player-rankings

Some interesting selections, esp. in positions 2 and 3. I understand the points they're making, but we'll have to see how things pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Always enjoy this list and feel it is generally well written and logical. Ranking 1 - 100 will create issues and is an impossible task in many respects. The top 20 is pretty solid overall I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I think maybe PG13 should be a bit higher up, he was playing really well last year, but I don't know how he looked with regards to advanced stats and all that.

I haven't analysed the list forensically, just skimmed it and looked at the top 10, but for me, aside from any debate around 2 & 3, I'd have issues with Wall at 17, Lowry at 14, Griffin at 10 in the Top 20.

I'm not a massive Kyrie fan per se, but I'd have him ahead of both of the aforementioned PGs for example.

BG gets an asterisk on given how little he played last year, but I have a fear his athleticism has diminished to a degree. It will be a very interesting time for Griffin up to the All Star Break as already there's a lot of trade rumours around him. Someone (I forget who) on one of the NBA podcasts I listen to said they wouldn't be surprised to him gone before the season starts.

KG and Timberwolves looking on doing a deal to retire.....as a pure business decision it makes sense as he's not worth his contract money in terms of production, but when you bring the leadership intangibles into it it becomes a more difficult decision.

From si.com:

Kevin Garnett's 2015 return to the Minnesota Timberwolves was an effort to rectify a strained relationship. The best player in franchise history had left on complicated terms after a trying, 12-year stay culminated in anger and frustration. Some tellings of his exit point to team owner Glen Taylor's refusal to give Garnett, then 31, the three-year, $60 million extension he had pushed for. “If he wanted $12 million, $12 million and $12 million instead, I would have signed him," Taylor said then.

Garnett received just such an extension from the Celtics after being traded in 2007. At his introductory press conference, Garnett was quick to characterize his ideological rift with Wolves' ownership and management. "The more I continued to talk to Minnesota about the future... it contradicted how I saw it, or what I thought was best for making the team better," Garnett said. KG may never have wanted to leave Minneapolis in the first place. And while he wanted to stay on his own terms with the full clout of a superstar, it was made clear that he didn't have much interest in playing for the kind of developing outfit the Timberwolves were looking to build. "At this point in my career," Garnett said, "I can't do young."

For years Garnett drew a hard distinction in his Minnesota associations. "It's always special to come back to true fans and sort of your foundation," Garnett said in 2012. "But as far as that franchise, I have nothing positive to say." Every passing season brought more return visits, more questions, and no closure. Then, in 2014, Garnett's resentment began to thaw enough that he publicly considered a return—perhaps as an eventual minority owner.

One specific factor made it all possible. "I have ties there," Garnett said. "Flip's there."

Flip Saunders was the only lasting bridge between Garnett and the Timberwolves. Their bond was strong enough that Saunders convinced the infamous competitor to waive his no-trade clause and return to a team with little chance of winning. It was Saunders who then sold Garnett on returning for two more years and $16.5 million as a champion of internal development for Karl-Anthony Towns, Andrew Wiggins, Ricky Rubio, Zach LaVine, and Gorgui Dieng. Theirs was an agreement made from nearly 20 years of friendship.

Kevin Garnett starred at Farragut Career Academy in Chicago, where he led the squad to a 28-2 record his senior season and earned National High School Player of the Year honors. Though the T-shirt may indicate he had dreams of playing in Ann Arbor, he instead chose to enter the NBA straight out of high school.
    David E. Klutho

Saunders passed away on October 25, 2015, taken far too early by Hodgkin's lymphoma. A franchise was left in limbo. Everyone that Minnesota had hired had been brought in to work with Flip and every player the Wolves had drafted or signed had been hand-picked by him. Garnett, at long last, had come home. That home was hollowed by Saunders's passing, no matter the mourning and dedications. The Timberwolves even kept Saunders's office in the Timberwolves' practice facility intact. Memory alone could not fill it.

This summer has brought Minnesota's first formal attempts to move on. Tom Thibodeau and Scott Layden are the stewards of the franchise now, and with that comes changes across all levels of operations. Sam Mitchell, a friend and former teammate of Garnett's who coached the Wolves last season, was dismissed under regrettable circumstances. Garnett has since kept quiet— even with regard to conveying his intentions for this season to the team, according to Jon Krawczynski of the Associated Press.

Reports on Wednesday (as led by Marc Stein of ESPN.com) suggested that Garnett and the Wolves could be heading toward a buyout on his final season under contract. Retirement would likely come soon thereafter. All that has taken place in the last year (along with Garnett's characteristic resistance to change) pointed to this particular outcome. Injuries limited the 40-year-old legend to just 38 games last season. His presence was of value as a leader and luminary, but KG signed up to work in partnership with Saunders. The bond he shares with Thibodeau, healthy though it may be after working together so swimmingly in Boston, cannot help but be different.

Only Garnett can parse just how much that matters—and what it would mean to be a Timberwolf now that his very reason for returning is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

KG and Timberwolves looking on doing a deal to retire.....as a pure business decision it makes sense as he's not worth his contract money in terms of production, but when you bring the leadership intangibles into it it becomes a more difficult decision.

From si.com:

Kevin Garnett's 2015 return to the Minnesota Timberwolves was an effort to rectify a strained relationship. The best player in franchise history had left on complicated terms after a trying, 12-year stay culminated in anger and frustration. Some tellings of his exit point to team owner Glen Taylor's refusal to give Garnett, then 31, the three-year, $60 million extension he had pushed for. “If he wanted $12 million, $12 million and $12 million instead, I would have signed him," Taylor said then.

Garnett received just such an extension from the Celtics after being traded in 2007. At his introductory press conference, Garnett was quick to characterize his ideological rift with Wolves' ownership and management. "The more I continued to talk to Minnesota about the future... it contradicted how I saw it, or what I thought was best for making the team better," Garnett said. KG may never have wanted to leave Minneapolis in the first place. And while he wanted to stay on his own terms with the full clout of a superstar, it was made clear that he didn't have much interest in playing for the kind of developing outfit the Timberwolves were looking to build. "At this point in my career," Garnett said, "I can't do young."

For years Garnett drew a hard distinction in his Minnesota associations. "It's always special to come back to true fans and sort of your foundation," Garnett said in 2012. "But as far as that franchise, I have nothing positive to say." Every passing season brought more return visits, more questions, and no closure. Then, in 2014, Garnett's resentment began to thaw enough that he publicly considered a return—perhaps as an eventual minority owner.

One specific factor made it all possible. "I have ties there," Garnett said. "Flip's there."

Flip Saunders was the only lasting bridge between Garnett and the Timberwolves. Their bond was strong enough that Saunders convinced the infamous competitor to waive his no-trade clause and return to a team with little chance of winning. It was Saunders who then sold Garnett on returning for two more years and $16.5 million as a champion of internal development for Karl-Anthony Towns, Andrew Wiggins, Ricky Rubio, Zach LaVine, and Gorgui Dieng. Theirs was an agreement made from nearly 20 years of friendship.

Kevin Garnett starred at Farragut Career Academy in Chicago, where he led the squad to a 28-2 record his senior season and earned National High School Player of the Year honors. Though the T-shirt may indicate he had dreams of playing in Ann Arbor, he instead chose to enter the NBA straight out of high school.
    David E. Klutho

Saunders passed away on October 25, 2015, taken far too early by Hodgkin's lymphoma. A franchise was left in limbo. Everyone that Minnesota had hired had been brought in to work with Flip and every player the Wolves had drafted or signed had been hand-picked by him. Garnett, at long last, had come home. That home was hollowed by Saunders's passing, no matter the mourning and dedications. The Timberwolves even kept Saunders's office in the Timberwolves' practice facility intact. Memory alone could not fill it.

This summer has brought Minnesota's first formal attempts to move on. Tom Thibodeau and Scott Layden are the stewards of the franchise now, and with that comes changes across all levels of operations. Sam Mitchell, a friend and former teammate of Garnett's who coached the Wolves last season, was dismissed under regrettable circumstances. Garnett has since kept quiet— even with regard to conveying his intentions for this season to the team, according to Jon Krawczynski of the Associated Press.

Reports on Wednesday (as led by Marc Stein of ESPN.com) suggested that Garnett and the Wolves could be heading toward a buyout on his final season under contract. Retirement would likely come soon thereafter. All that has taken place in the last year (along with Garnett's characteristic resistance to change) pointed to this particular outcome. Injuries limited the 40-year-old legend to just 38 games last season. His presence was of value as a leader and luminary, but KG signed up to work in partnership with Saunders. The bond he shares with Thibodeau, healthy though it may be after working together so swimmingly in Boston, cannot help but be different.

Only Garnett can parse just how much that matters—and what it would mean to be a Timberwolf now that his very reason for returning is gone.

along with Garnett's characteristic resistance to change

Kiss goodbye coaching or being a General Manager so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Horrible news that Chris Bosh has failed his physical for the Heat's training camp:( Woj is saying that the Heat believe that Bosh's career is essentially done now.

KG retires, officially.

D2D wrote: »
    Horrible news that Chris Bosh has failed his physical for the Heat's training camp:( Woj is saying that the Heat believe that Bosh's career is essentially done now.

If he's failed the physical there is no other option. Sad, but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Bosh should have had his medical test organised by the San Diego Padres

Dan Le Batard on Bosh
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17602335/miami-heat-chris-bosh-says-first-installment-documentary-felt-written-second-blood-clot-diagnosis

I'd recommended this to everyone Bosh Rebuilt http://www.uninterrupted.com/show/3i3AP24Cnm6myKKa2gCAAk/rebuilt

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Bosh should have had his medical test organised by the San Diego Padres

Dan Le Batard on Bosh
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17602335/miami-heat-chris-bosh-says-first-installment-documentary-felt-written-second-blood-clot-diagnosis

I'd recommended this to everyone Bosh Rebuilt http://www.uninterrupted.com/show/3i3AP24Cnm6myKKa2gCAAk/rebuilt

I like Le Batard, he can be very funny when he wants to too. he's not the most serious or best sports journo out there by any means, but he is entertaining.

If they sit him, he comes off the books before the All Star break and that gives them a shot at a Superstar Free Agent earlier than they ever imagined. For that incredibly cold reason alone, I think Boss is done.

I like Le Batard, he can be very funny when he wants to too. he's not the most serious or best sports journo out there by any means, but he is entertaining.

If they sit him, he comes off the books before the All Star break and that gives them a shot at a Superstar Free Agent earlier than they ever imagined. For that incredibly cold reason alone, I think Boss is done.

From what I've read the Heat will have to list him as disabled and get the $75 million owed to him back in insurance though they still have to pay him some of it. After that another team can sign him and have their team doctors test him out.

So in the past few years the Heat have lost Le Bron, Wade and now Bosh and what have they got in return nothing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

From what I've read the Heat will have to list him as disabled and get the $75 million owed to him back in insurance though they still have to pay him some of it. After that another team can sign him and have their team doctors test him out.

So in the past few years the Heat have lost Le Bron, Wade and now Bosh and what have they got in return nothing much.

And all 3 and shaq will have left on poor terms with pat r

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very sad news about Bosh. Always one of the most underrated players in the league since he went to Miami and he was a hugely underrated cog in that trio.

Live by the sword and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting read on the upcoming Derrick Rose sexual assault trial:

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/02/derrick-rose-civil-sexual-assault-lawsuit-allegations-trial-court-documents

Also, the judge has ruled that the accuser can not have anonymity and her identity will be made public:

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/20/derrick-rose-knicks-sexual-assault-civil-lawsuit-accuser-latest-developments

I'd be astonished if they didn't settle.

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting read on the upcoming Derrick Rose sexual assault trial:

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/02/derrick-rose-civil-sexual-assault-lawsuit-allegations-trial-court-documents

Also, the judge has ruled that the accuser can not have anonymity and her identity will be made public:

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/20/derrick-rose-knicks-sexual-assault-civil-lawsuit-accuser-latest-developments

I'd be astonished if they didn't settle.

It'll be settled, you can bet your ass on that.

Doesn't make great reading from Rose's POV though no matter how you spin it.

KG retires, officially.

Sure he did that in 2013, but forgot to tell anyone . Hope Tim Duncan provides a heart felt essay in one of the big media outlets over there. Or, maybe not

Well Pierce has announced this will be his last season I wonder will he sign with Celtics at end of season with one day contract?

Well Pierce has announced this will be his last season I wonder will he sign with Celtics at end of season with one day contract?

The Americans really do things differently don't they ? They are suckers for the emotional gesture. You can imagine the posters that will be on display

Should never have left Washington , he was playing well there.

We all saw the bs with Kobe's last good bye, and him lapping it up while his team are getting hammered. Did Timmy D get anything like that?

Lt Dan wrote: »
    The Americans really do things differently don't they ? They are suckers for the emotional gesture. You can imagine the posters that will be on display

Should never have left Washington , he was playing well there.

We all saw the bs with Kobe's last good bye, and him lapping it up while his team are getting hammered. Did Timmy D get anything like that?

No, Duncan wouldn't want that kind of nonsense to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

FYI to anyone with league pass who is thinking about not subscribing this year. My account was just debited the amount for the new season. Trying to cancel it at the moment as I'm in two minds about it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

FYI to anyone with league pass who is thinking about not subscribing this year. My account was just debited the amount for the new season. Trying to cancel it at the moment as I'm in two minds about it this year.
    There only seems to be the option to pay €25.99 monthly for me? And is it true that the playoffs aren't included in it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Kobes last season did more good than bad. Kept the kids out of the lime light, think he really helped Clarkson and had he not been there they might have finished higher up and not got Ingram :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I lost my debit card back in June and got a new one so they won't be able to do it for me even if they want to.

I'm also in two minds over getting it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

yup i got caught also :mad: iv sent three emails to them now to cancel and no response yet i think i will have to get onto the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Hi people, I'm looking to get into the NBA this season and was coming on here to find out wheres the best place to watch it. Judging by the last few comments I'm guessing the League Pass option might not be the best?!! No sports channels available in Ireland seem to show it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

BT sport I think will be showing 4 or 5 games a week as far I know. At least that is what I can remember from last year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Hi people, I'm looking to get into the NBA this season and was coming on here to find out wheres the best place to watch it. Judging by the last few comments I'm guessing the League Pass option might not be the best?!! No sports channels available in Ireland seem to show it?

There's nothing wrong with getting the LP it's just getting the time to watch it is another matter.

NufcNavan wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with getting the LP it's just getting the time to watch it is another matter.

Yup 100% this. I had league pass when I was a student and it was great but when I just don't have time to watch enough games to justify the price now.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »

yup i got caught also :mad: iv sent three emails to them now to cancel and no response yet i think i will have to get onto the bank

I got a response from them telling me it had been cancelled and I'd receive a refund so I'm sure you will be fine.

Advertisement