Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The warriors have automatically become one of the most hated teams in the league now by creating a super team as such. It's a natural reaction and durant will get the usual abuse off social media and ESPN idiots like skip and Steven a, you could write the script.
    The reality is that no one knows what's going to happen with this team, they should win a championship but you can't take any thing for granted as this season showed.
    I never get why people get upset when players move, durant obviously felt this was the best basketball move for him, he spent 8 years at his last job, not many people stay with their employers that long.
    And honestly who wants to live in Oklahoma.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The warriors have automatically become one of the most hated teams in the league now by creating a super team as such. It's a natural reaction and durant will get the usual abuse off social media and ESPN idiots like skip and Steven a, you could write the script.
    The reality is that no one knows what's going to happen with this team, they should win a championship but you can't take any thing for granted as this season showed.
    I never get why people get upset when players move, durant obviously felt this was the best basketball move for him, he spent 8 years at his last job, not many people stay with their employers that long.

you know lejon is sitting at home right now thinking "how much would they love me in OKC if I took my talents there and delivered them a championship?":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So Knicks rolling with:

Calderon -> Rose
    Arron Affalo -> Courtney Lee
    Melo -> Melo
    Porzingis -> Porzingis
    Robin Lopez -> Noah

Likes of Galloway, Grant, Vujacic, O'Quinn and maybe Derrick Williams off the bench.

Are they better? Maybe a little. If Rose recovers even some of his MVP form and Porzingis progresses like one would hope they could have a look at playoffs. However Lee on books until 34, Melo is already 32, Noah on books until 34 also. Feels like another Melo / Stoudemire type team at best that can sneak a 7 or 8 seed and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Unless Porzingis becomes elite, in which case the supporting cast would be decent and experienced to help make a run in the next couple of years.

Interesting stuff to be fair - can't wait to see how it plays out. I think the more time Porzingis sees at 5 the better it will be for all concerned.

Brandon 'Young $$$$' Jennings added for 1 year and 5m. Hell of a stew in Madison Square.

Brandon 'Young $$$$' Jennings added for 1 year and 5m. Hell of a stew in Madison Square.

Such a Knicks move....

I wonder who's the next PG they'll sign?:rolleyes: or will they try and trade for J Smoove so they can reunite him and Jennings?

Melo won't be happy that there's another black hole on the court. How's he going to get his 30 shots a night now?

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
    Told emphatically by league source there's no chance Russell Westbrook will do a renegotiation/extension of his contract (one yr remaining).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
    Told emphatically by league source there's no chance Russell Westbrook will do a renegotiation/extension of his contract (one yr remaining).

If i were OKC I would try and trade him to get something in return like draft picks and some players Hmm Westbrook to Celtics perhaps ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

McLoughlin wrote: »
    If i were OKC I would try and trade him to get something in return like draft picks and some players Hmm Westbrook to Celtics perhaps ?

I'd be making calls if I was Ainge certainly. They have the assets to give up for Westbrook. Okc might as well go for assets rather than draft picks. Westbrook is a 30-10-8 kind of guy without Durant and any team with him will certainly be there or thereabouts for the playoffs at a minimum so draft picks won't do a whole lot of good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I'm not surprised Gasol went to the Spurs. Smart player and a great fit with that franchise.

I am quite surprised Bogut was ditched though. He's a much bigger part of that team than his numbers indicate. I honestly don't think that would have happened had he not gotten injured in the finals and they won.

The mavs have made a max offer to Barnes so no way GS will match that now that they have Durant.

Wow, what has happened at Chicago. ?

Two seasons ago and at the start of this season NBA were boasting that Chicago had the deepest Front Court in the League. People's admiration for their play off performances in 2013 and 2014 had to be respected. Rose played reasonably well in 2015.

Noah sadly fell off the face of the earth after injury . Doubt Chicago would be sorry to see either of the three go after last season

Bogut will be a great assets to many teams if he stays healthy.

Not sure about Gasol . Not my favorite at all (soft soft soft, screams like a woman if the remotest contact is threatened or made, can't handle contested rebounds, lazy, old, hopeless on defence) Trust Pop to figure something out though. So Timmy has retired , huh? Aldrigde's team now I guess.

you know lejon is sitting at home right now thinking "how much would they love me in OKC if I took my talents there and delivered them a championship?":pac:

Reasonably doable as well within 2 years. That would be awesome, but, Cavs would kill him.

Just when people were getting to like (or enjoyed) GSW (hard not to like how they play) now this move for Durant. Despite liking Steve Kerr and the splash brothers, I really want to see Durant fail now (I think he is a good guy but this sucks)

Delighted with the Al Horford deal to Celtics

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Wow, what has happened at Chicago. ?

Two seasons ago and at the start of this season NBA were boasting that Chicago had the deepest Front Court in the League. People's admiration for their play off performances in 2013 and 2014 had to be respected. Rose played reasonably well in 2015.

Noah sadly fell off the face of the earth after injury . Doubt Chicago would be sorry to see either of the three go after last season

Bogut will be a great assets to many teams if he stays healthy.

Not sure about Gasol . Not my favorite at all (soft soft soft, screams like a woman if the remotest contact is threatened or made, can't handle contested rebounds, lazy, old, hopeless on defence) Trust Pop to figure something out though. So Timmy has retired , huh? Aldrigde's team now I guess.

Jesus that's harsh on Gasol. Way overboard there.

• Advertisement

Steven A already started his homily

Like Soccer in this part of the world, they think some players should forever stay with the one franchise (they don't even call it a club - says it all about the yanks)

Jesus that's harsh on Gasol. Way overboard there.

I completely stand by it. Watch him next time going to the basket. Listen carefully. Yeah he is a great passer, yeah he can shoot jump shots , but he is old and has always been mentally and physically soft

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

I dont think he will at all

Durant is such a nice guy

Even OKC didnt act out about it

Like Durant and LBJ arent the same

I completely stand by it. Watch him next time going to the basket. Listen carefully. Yeah he is a great passer, yeah he can shoot jump shots , but he is old and has always been mentally and physically soft

You're certainly wrong in terms of labeling him "old". Leaving aside his positive overall contribution last year (21.3 PER), he averaged 2.3 Blocks a game and had a Defensive rating per 100 possessions of 102, a number he only bettered once during his first All Star year for Memphis. He is still, at 36, a fairly elite NBA center: to put his defensive numbers in context, Robin Lopez had 1.6 blocks per game and a drtg of 107; Joakim Noah managed 1.0 Blocks per game and had a drtg of 101 when on the court; Dwight Howard was 1.6 blocks and 107 drtg.

While defense is not his strength, he offers above average rim protection relative to league centers as a group and his offensive production is still very good. And labelling a key contributor to two championship teams "mentally soft" seems a stretch to me. He played well last year - the issue Chicago had were elsewhere on the floor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Nope Leonard's team guys a borderline MVP at this stage think he came 3rd in voting this year

Well you're entitled to your opinion. And you're entitled to be wrong.

You think a guy as savvy as Pop would sign someone he thinks is soft?

Best player on court in the 2012 Olympic Final? Gasol.

Well you're entitled to your opinion. And you're entitled to be wrong.

You think a guy as savvy as Pop would sign someone he thinks is soft?

Best player on court in the 2012 Olympic Final? Gasol.

No, you are wrong, y'all!:D

2012 is not 2016 or 2017 is it?

No, you are wrong, y'all!:D

2012 is not 2016 or 2017 is it?

I know it is.

But you're tal;king about him like he's a scrub. He is far from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Dirk staying with the Mavericks. 2 year deal for $40

Honestly thought hed come back for peanuts

Still could have got more

But thought maybe hed come back for minimum

• Advertisement

I know it is.

No, he is not a scrub and never was. But he is soft.:D

Dirk has a job for life there, he is probably right to stay on. Would be surprised if Cuban does not name or have named a street or part of the arena after him , statue etc and ensure that he stays working with Dallas Mavs at some position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yeah. Dude who won back to back rings as the second go to guy is soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I know it is.

You maybe confusing soft with a high basketball IQ, he was unbelievable when the lakers were winning, was a joy to watch.

If you're defining soft as not built like Lebron or plays the post like Boogie Cousins then yeah, he is.

But there's much more to the game than that. He is such a smart player. Durant aside (and maybe Horford given his youth) it's hard to think of a better available 4 to match San An + Pop for next year.

As I predicted, D West to the Warriors for the vet minimum.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    As I predicted, D West to the Warriors for the vet minimum.

Good for him. You have to admire the guy for chasing a ring more than cash.

Good for him. You have to admire the guy for chasing a ring more than cash.

Mad respect for guys like that

He must have lost about 20 million chasing in the last 2 years

David West and Zaza Pachulia are really savage pickups to round off the roster. Not seeing where this is going to be competitive.

• Advertisement

David West is slow now but he was one of my favourite players at Indiana. He is bad ass.

Advertisement