Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Yeah. Dude who won back to back rings as the second go to guy is soft.

A team with Kobe on it! You would swear that the rest of the Lakers were rubbish. Ron Artest? Young Bynam ? Give over. Soft soft soft soft soft .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Lt Dan wrote: »
    A team with Kobe on it! You would swear that the rest of the Lakers were rubbish. Ron Artest? Young Bynam ? Give over. Soft soft soft soft soft .

You're trying too hard man.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Going to bother addressing the statistics about his actual performance levels the past season posted above?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just thinking about the spacing on the court next year for GS offensively. I don't think we'll ever see a team set up so far from the basket like this, they are going to be unreal to watch. The interior cutting lanes and space will be insane off the pick and roll when they're not shooting 3's. It's going to be fun to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Just thinking about the spacing on the court next year for GS offensively. I don't think we'll ever see a team set up so far from the basket like this, they are going to be unreal to watch. The interior cutting lanes and space will be insane off the pick and roll when they're not shooting 3's. It's going to be fun to watch.

I wanna hate them

I just cant seem to

Maybe as the year goes on it will come to me

• Advertisement

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I wanna hate them

I just cant seem to

Maybe as the year goes on it will come to me

Maybe when they're obnoxiously celebrating a three to put them up 20 in the 2nd against the Suns in December like they just won a final's game 7 (if they could win a final's game 7 that is!!) you will see the light as it were (assuming you're as religious as the Warriors). :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Maybe when they're obnoxiously celebrating a three to put them up 20 in the 2nd against the Suns in December like they just won a final's game 7 (if they could win a final's game 7 that is!!) you will see the light as it were (assuming you're as religious as the Warriors). :)

Jesus the hate.

They will be one of the most exciting teams ever. They will shoot the lights out. They will absolutely hammer some teams. They will be A LOT of fun to watch.

I agree with you on one thing however - I think they did over-celebrate this year. I would imagine the hurt of losing the Finals like they did will impact them and I doubt you'll see as much of that next year or beyond.

Going to bother addressing the statistics about his actual performance levels the past season posted above?

You going to be one of those who claps at his rebound stats. ?How many of them were contested ? Boom!

You going to be one of those who claps at his rebound stats. ?How many of them were contested ? Boom!

:rolleyes:

I didn't mention his rebound stats.

• Advertisement

Jesus the hate.

They will be one of the most exciting teams ever. They will shoot the lights out. They will absolutely hammer some teams. They will be A LOT of fun to watch.

I agree with you on one thing however - I think they did over-celebrate this year. I would imagine the hurt of losing the Finals like they did will impact them and I doubt you'll see as much of that next year or beyond.

They're going to be very interesting to watch and, assuming you're correct about the last paragraph, will be very popular generally. I don't like Draymond and I don't like overly zealous religious people generally but that's a personal preference.

What I would note is that their basketball is a style, maybe a perfect version of such a style mind - but a style nonetheless. I like watching the likes of an on form Cousins or Brook Lopez go to work in the paint. Or the LeBron / Wade Heat running the floor and finishing with outrageous alley oops.

You see it in football - the suggestion from Barcelona fans that not liking how they play is tantamount to you not being a "true" football fan. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

They're going to be very interesting to watch and, assuming you're correct about the last paragraph, will be very popular generally. I don't like Draymond and I don't like overly zealous religious people generally but that's a personal preference.

What I would note is that their basketball is a style, maybe a perfect version of such a style mind - but a style nonetheless. I like watching the likes of an on form Cousins or Brook Lopez go to work in the paint. Or the LeBron / Wade Heat running the floor and finishing with outrageous alley oops.

You see it in football - the suggestion from Barcelona fans that not liking how they play is tantamount to you not being a "true" football fan. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

I LOVE Boogie. Think he's a beast. Would trade for him a heartbeat.

But, my favourite type of play is high (in numbers) passing teams with shooters. I listed my all time favourite players a while back.....amongst them were Bird, Kukoc, Papaloukas, Ginobli. It's just a preference. I do like Curry, I think he's revolutionised many aspects of the modern game, but I am a Celtics fan. What I think I like most about GSW is the way they pass - highest assist team numbers 2 years straight - and create space for each other. Throw in the insane ability they have to hit high degree of difficulty shots on top of that when the passing game isn't working and it's hard not to like how they play.

While I think this team will be brilliant to watch, if (and I mean if) they win 3 Finals or more straight for example it's going to get very boring.

I'll say again though what I said on their Finals appearance this year. As well as Cleveland/James played in games 5, 6 and 7, GS choked. I have to be consistent on this - I said OKC choked when they were 3-1 up. They (GS) won games 1 and 2 by the highest combined points total in Finals history. To go from that to winning 1 of the next 5 is a choke job.....be it psychological, fatigue, injuries (Curry was definitely hurt IMO), but ultimately they blew it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Wade gone to the bulls, 2 years - 47m. Crazy money IMO

I think the money is fine there tbh. Wade is still a superstar and played very well in the playoffs.

Chicago coming in for some criticism but I like what they've done. Exchanging Rose / Gasol / Noah for Rondo / Wade / Lopez makes them a better basketball team imo. They'll need to manage rotations well so that it's Wade or Rondo plus shooters on the court as much as possible but this should see them into the playoffs. At the end of the year they can dump Rondo's second year and go to FA as a playoff team offering a solid core of Lopez / Butler / Wade to potential max signings.

Pretty good offseason imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whatever Chicago do, they have to make sure it's not to the detriment of Jimmy Buckets as this *should* now be his team.

Sheeeeeeet. That's stupid money for a guy past his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So is this Wade walking away from the heat over him getting no thanks for taking a pay cut over his last few deals??

I think the money is fine there tbh. Wade is still a superstar and played very well in the playoffs.

Chicago coming in for some criticism but I like what they've done. Exchanging Rose / Gasol / Noah for Rondo / Wade / Lopez makes them a better basketball team imo. They'll need to manage rotations well so that it's Wade or Rondo plus shooters on the court as much as possible but this should see them into the playoffs. At the end of the year they can dump Rondo's second year and go to FA as a playoff team offering a solid core of Lopez / Butler / Wade to potential max signings.

Pretty good offseason imo.

You do realise they got Robin and not Brook Lopez, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Rondo and Wade back court. Holy lack of shooting Batman.

Wade might be the first player in NBA history to get a flagrant foul for "accidentally" kicking one of his own teammates in the balls. He and Rondo sharing a backcourt is going to be a fantastic horror show.

Feel sorry for Jimmy Butler.

You do realise they got Robin and not Brook Lopez, right? :D

I do. He's a much more useful piece than Noah at this stage imo.
    NufcNavan wrote: »
    Rondo and Wade back court. Holy lack of shooting Batman.

Wade might be the first player in NBA history to get a flagrant foul for "accidentally" kicking one of his own teammates in the balls. He and Rondo sharing a backcourt is going to be a fantastic horror show.

Feel sorry for Jimmy Butler.

They'll both have to start to massage egos, but Wade is turning 35 and would probably only manage 6th man minutes at this stage anyway. You take him out at the 1st time out and have him run the 2nd unit. If they manage rotations well and make sure Wade or Rondo have the likes of Mirotic or Valentine on the court with them it can work fine.

To argue it a different way - if you assume Rose is done and his level of last year is roughly his level going forward then making a move to give them better guard play means Butler's impending peak is less likely to go to waste. And Rose wasn't a shooter so having Rondo or Wade handling fits with what they've been doing, for better or worse.

• Advertisement

Lakers seem to have continued their horrible offseason by adding Jose Calderon

I honestly thought if Wade was going anywhere i would be to Cleveland somehow.....but obviously money matters to some guys more than others (not a slight on Wade by the way, I understand he's from/has ties to Chicago).

Lakers seem to have continued their horrible offseason by adding Jose Calderon

how does this lad get a team?

I honestly thought if Wade was going anywhere i would be to Cleveland somehow.....but obviously money matters to some guys more than others (not a slight on Wade by the way, I understand he's from/has ties to Chicago).

I understand his thinking 100%

Head home

After seeing LBJ doing it

Im sure he thought it would be awesome

Miami kept low balling him

Projection for next year's cap has apparently dropped from $107 to $102m

Projection for next year's cap has apparently dropped from $107 to $102m

I thought next year was the big year

Isnt that the point of the massive contracts

I guess not if that's the projected cap...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If only it was 2010.

There's 2 big increases. Increase 1 this year. Increase 2 next.

Hence the craziness. And it will be as bad next year.

• Advertisement

The cap this year is $94 million. An increase to $102 is big, but smaller than expected. And the projection is trending downwards.

Dat Mozgov contract...

Advertisement