Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Durant won't go. He'll be leaving too much money on the table to do so and because he's at a team who can compete (but IMO who will never get over the line) it's the overriding factor, more so than it usually would be.

As for the Austin Rivers contract. Disgusting really. Nepotism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Paully D wrote: »
    Durant won't go. He'll be leaving too much money on the table to do so and because he's at a team who can compete (but IMO who will never get over the line) it's the overriding factor, more so than it usually would be.

As for the Austin Rivers contract. Disgusting really. Nepotism at its finest.

Tru dat.

Paully D wrote: »

Well....yes and no. The players salaries at superstar level are actually their secondary source of income, their main being from endorsements. So a few mil here or there isn't that big a deal....esp. if they're trading up to a better contender...as a championship will bring more endorsements and more money.....

Malcolm Gladwell (an author btw, not a sports journo) who I mentioned a few weeks ago when he as a guest on the Bill Simmons podcast talked about if you were a guy like Curry and you said I'll play for free it would actually bopost your relatability and marketability to such a degree that you'd make a multiple of that salary back in endorsements. Interesting suggestion.

How crazy is this?

Austin Rivers will make more in salary next year than Steph Curry.

Think about that.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Id be absoloutly ecstatic but I can't see himLeaving especially after the oladipo trade

He's repeatedly said it will be a basketball decision. If he's true to that, he will not be staying.

He's also publicly lauded David West for taking less money to play in SA this year. Again, could be just words, but if he does leave, people will look to this as a hint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

He's repeatedly said it will be a basketball decision. If he's true to that, he will not be staying.

He's also publicly lauded David West for taking less money to play in SA this year. Again, could be just words, but if he does leave, people will look to this as a hint.
    Everyone says that. Celtics are not clearly a better team right now and we have no player like Westbrook. Boston would likely be a better fit for him and I would say ainge and Stephens are clearly better than there counterparts but leaving a team as a stars not an easy thing to do Iv said since day one id be shocked if he move

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

How crazy is this?

Austin Rivers will make more in salary next year than Steph Curry.

Think about that.

I just saw the contract he was given, it really is mind blowing, I don't think he is as bad as people make out but he is pretty average.
    As I said before the whole money thing should balance out in a few years, curry will get his pay day, no doubting that.
    What's interesting is that the clippers must of gotten a no off durant because they have screwed themselves with cap space with this move,it's crazy

Durant will most likely move next year, that's what makes more sense. Okc are still contenders and he will get a huge pay day next year.
    I think the Warriors are in with a decent shout if he goes, Barnes out and durant in, perfect !! Obviously a few more would go but it would be worth it, he is basically a center and would suit their style if he bought into their philosophy

On Rivers, si.com reporting deal done before they had word back from Durant, which means they have to trade Griffin, Jordan or Paul to make it work financially. You'd assume they had presented their plan to include those guys ahead of Rivers.......wouldn't you? So they took themselves out of the race with that one move. Even if they had waited until they got word back from Durant and even if that was a "no", it's not like they'd be facing enormous competition to re-sign Rivers. Absolute joke of a move. I've said it before and I'll probably say it again, if his dad wasn't an NBA coach he'd be playing in Europe.

I just saw the contract he was given, it really is mind blowing, I don't think he is as bad as people make out but he is pretty average.
    As I said before the whole money thing should balance out in a few years, curry will get his pay day, no doubting that.
    What's interesting is that the clippers must of gotten a no off durant because they have screwed themselves with cap space with this move,it's crazy

He is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So Knicks rolling with:

Calderon -> Rose
    Arron Affalo -> Courtney Lee
    Melo -> Melo
    Porzingis -> Porzingis
    Robin Lopez -> Noah

Likes of Galloway, Grant, Vujacic, O'Quinn and maybe Derrick Williams off the bench.

Are they better? Maybe a little. If Rose recovers even some of his MVP form and Porzingis progresses like one would hope they could have a look at playoffs. However Lee on books until 34, Melo is already 32, Noah on books until 34 also. Feels like another Melo / Stoudemire type team at best that can sneak a 7 or 8 seed and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Unless Porzingis becomes elite, in which case the supporting cast would be decent and experienced to help make a run in the next couple of years.

Interesting stuff to be fair - can't wait to see how it plays out. I think the more time Porzingis sees at 5 the better it will be for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Noah could be a huge red flag. His body was breaking down last season for the Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

That Rondo contract is a steal when you look at some of the insanity that's gone on the last few days. Good for Chicago.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Noah could be a huge red flag. His body was breaking down last season for the Bulls.

I agree. Plus I think they'd be better served letting Porzingis start at 5 anyway - particularly when you have Melo and Rose on the floor.

After these moves they're way closer to 25 wins than they are the ECF, I'll say that much.

He is.

Well we can agree to disagree I suppose. Not saying he is a great player, he is average like a lot of players, maybe similar to Lin, he did well at Duke, he was a top ten draft, you can't blame his Dad for that ? He has had a few injuries since coming into the league, he has had a few big games. I understand where the hate comes from and agree it's pretty dubious getting that contract with your dad in charge but there are worse players out there

Well we can agree to disagree I suppose. Not saying he is a great player, he is average like a lot of players, maybe similar to Lin, he did well at Duke, he was a top ten draft, you can't blame his Dad for that ? He has had a few injuries since coming into the league, he has had a few big games. I understand where the hate comes from and agree it's pretty dubious getting that contract with your dad in charge but there are worse players out there

It's more than that though. They took themselves out of the Durant race just to keep him. Think about that. It's insane on any level no matter how you square it. And as I said the other day, even wait until you get a no from Durant, then resign him if you want.

He was a one and done in Duke and apart from one big shot against UNC, he didn't really do much and certainly hasn't done anything in the NBA to deserve the contract he just got. He got pretty much the same deal as Crawford on a per year basis (who averages twice as many points and is a 3 time 6th Man of the Year Award Winner). They seriously overpaid and it's not like they needed to - there would be f*ck all of a market for him.

Of course there are worse players out there, but none are getting that kind of preferential treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Durrant signing with the Warriors.. Just broke now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Durrant signing with the Warriors.. Just broke now

Never expected him to leave OKC. Have to make Dubs massive favourites for next season

said I had a strange feeling last night. Shlt just got real.

The world has changed. Warriors are barring injury unstoppable now.

If you can't beat em join em. Kevin Durant couldn't lead his own team to a title. GSW were already favourites. Probably robs the league of any competitive interest until the finals unfortunately.

OKC now need to trade Westbrook before the deadline, and the sooner the better probably.

• Advertisement

Wow did not expect that I will be curious to see if he gets the "he had to go to stephs team to win" stuff that Lebron got

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you can't beat em join em. Kevin Durant couldn't lead his own team to a title. GSW were already favourites. Probably robs the league of any competitive interest until the finals unfortunately.

OKC now need to trade Westbrook before the deadline, and the sooner the better probably.
    Hah just as I was posting. Why do you think they have to trade Westbrook just because Durant left does not mean they need to suddenly tank that's very strange logic

Okc possibly become the greatest what if in nba history now outside of perhaps Len bias

Hah just as I was posting. Why do you think they have to trade Westbrook just because Durant left does not mean they need to suddenly tank that's very strange logic

Okc possibly become the greatest what if in nba history now outside of perhaps Len bias

Because they can't win a title now so you should absolutely extract some value from a top five player before he walks in free agency at the end of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Cavs will be at a great bargain price at the bookies after this. Well worth a a few quid. Signing Durant means GSW will be down a couple of role players. An injury will ruin them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wow. Talk about a super team. If they all stay healthy it's really hard to see how they don't win it.

Wow did not expect that I will be curious to see if he gets the "he had to go to stephs team to win" stuff that Lebron got
    He did it in a much classier and low key way, no comparison. Took less money to try and win now

Cavs will be at a great bargain price at the bookies after this. Well worth a a few quid. Signing Durant means GSW will be down a couple of role players. An injury will ruin them

Only guy they absolutely have to move now contract wise is Barnes - and talk about an upgrade. They could stick with the remaining roster and pay the luxury tax. Biggest offender on the luxury tax bill this year? The Cavs. It pays to overpay in some circumstances obviously.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because they can't win a title now so you should absolutely extract some value from a top five player before he walks in free agency at the end of the year.

but you will never get value for a top 5 guy they god **** all for harden. What if they play this year and come close again with westbrook and oladipo perhaps they end up fitting together better. stephen adams has started to look like a really good player and they have cap to get whoever they want thats left. Do they really have to trade him or do you just think they lakers will get him for russell and randel

He did it in a much classier and low key way, no comparison. Took less money to try and win now

I wonder did he say "I'm taking my talents to the Bay Area"? :rolleyes::):pac::D

Nope, because he's not that much of a tool.

• Advertisement

I think they could get a few guys to sign for them for nothing now though as they are as close to a lock you can get for a title.. Whats ray allen doing at the mo :D

the fact that they won't go for a regular season record again will be huge

Advertisement