Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Worth checking out (sorry I can't post links right now):

Podcast:
    The Ringer NBA Show episode 29 with Brad Stevens (up a couple of weeks but still the latest episode)

YouTube:
    B'ball breakdown on the triangle offence (fascinating insight into it if a bit nerdy...)
    B'ball breakdown Bird v LeBron - one for all you young 'uns!
    B'ball breakdown what happened to Steph Curry in the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

BTW if anyone is interested in how to get LP much cheaper than €190 PM me.

Just watched the clippers Warriors game from a few nights ago. They (GSW) scored 71 in the first half and were 50+ up (as much as 56) from early in the 3rd. The scariest part? They still looked rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really can't wait for new season... GSW with KD are gonna be unreal

Rose and his legal team are playing a very high stakes game of "blink" with Jane Doe, VERY stupid thing to do IMO.

• Advertisement

Yeah have been reading alot on this and he has showed very little remorse about the whole thing, he really thinks because he is famous he can do what he likes it looks. He has changed his story twice now, and has even admitted himself that the girl did not "directly" agree to sexual intercourse with him!!!

But thats okay, we gots history yo!

Only thing thats a bit off is it took 2 years for the girl to press charges!!!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah have been reading alot on this and he has showed very little remorse about the whole thing, he really thinks because he is famous he can do what he likes it looks. He has changed his story twice now, and has even admitted himself that the girl did not "directly" agree to sexual intercourse with him!!!

But thats okay, we gots history yo!

Only thing thats a bit off is it took 2 years for the girl to press charges!!!

I don't blame Rose as much as his legal team. Rose is an athlete, I'm not expecting him to cure cancer; but his legal team should be sitting him down and saying every time you open your mouth you cost yourself money and more importantly in this case you lose credibility. You need to do one thing here to make this go away and pay up.

My advice would be "shut up & pay up".

In other news, the Kings are the first team to get a jersey sponsor with (an almond company). It looks weird, and it's sad for me to see the NBA go down this route btw as the jerseys just look classier without sponsors. If you're really bored, read the press release for some real BS!

One of the female police investigators in the Rose case was shot and killed. Police still not sure if it was suicide or homicide.

One of the female police investigators in the Rose case was shot and killed. Police still not sure if it was suicide or homicide.

I can see a movie deal coming here TBH.....:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Rose must be over the moon. Surely the case can not go on? Key witness not around. His lawyers really have gone beyond the call of duty here.

• Advertisement

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Rose must be over the moon. Surely the case can not go on? Key witness not around. His lawyers really have gone beyond the call of duty here.

She's one of a team. They won't get a mistrial/collapse on that.

Whats are people's view on Kevin Durant moving to GSW....?

I was surprised with him being part of what is arguably the best tandem duo in NBA at this point in time (Westbrook and himself) and somewhat dissapointed TBH. I get that he is one of the most talented players NEVER to win a championship but to jump on the GSW bandwagon is a bit of a let down for me. With one or two key signings with the thunder he really could have cemented his legendary status at the age of 28 still has time on his side to win a championship of two. Or move to another team just off the pace and be the lead figure and grind out a ring for himself......

Was watching alot of sports shows in the USA and there is alot of conspiracy theories doing the rounds by people on the inside of the NBA apparently not Joe Public here, stating that he inadvertently tried to manufacture a move to the GSW and was one of the reasons why he "choked" playing the GSW in the playoffs especially in the crucial game

And with KD's recent quote saying that it would have been harder to move to GSW if he had won against them in the playoffs only seems to give the story some traction and there is deffo no smoke without fire.

No doubt KD will win things with the GSW but he is always gonna play 2nd fiddle to Curry and probably Thompson, and a player of KDs quality that is a real shame.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Whats are people's view on Kevin Durant moving to GSW....?

I was surprised with him being part of what is arguably the best tandem duo in NBA at this point in time (Westbrook and himself) and somewhat dissapointed TBH. I get that he is one of the most talented players NEVER to win a championship but to jump on the GSW bandwagon is a bit of a let down for me. With one or two key signings with the thunder he really could have cemented his legendary status at the age of 28 still has time on his side to win a championship of two. Or move to another team just off the pace and be the lead figure and grind out a ring for himself......

Was watching alot of sports shows in the USA and there is alot of conspiracy theories doing the rounds by people on the inside of the NBA apparently not Joe Public here, stating that he inadvertently tried to manufacture a move to the GSW and was one of the reasons why he "choked" playing the GSW in the playoffs especially in the crucial game

And with KD's recent quote saying that it would have been harder to move to GSW if he had won against them in the playoffs only seems to give the story some traction and there is deffo no smoke without fire.

No doubt KD will win things with the GSW but he is always gonna play 2nd fiddle to Curry and probably Thompson, and a player of KDs quality that is a real shame.

Curry is still on a rubbish contract. What happens when his contract comes up and he wants max?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

KD is an unrestricted free agent after this season. It will come down to Curry or KD for a max contract and I believe that GSW will rightly reward Curry with it.
    IMO what KD is looking for is a ring this season and then move to a contender and get his max contract.

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Curry is still on a rubbish contract. What happens when his contract comes up and he wants max?

Curry will get his max as he deserves. KD won't get a max (the math doesn't work) but he's not going to be working for chump change either; he's getting $54.3m over two years from the Warriors alone, throw in his Nike money and all of the other endorsements and I can't see him wanting to leave a winning situation at the end of that. What is the incentive to move after that? Contract money isn't the main decision point on where you go, not by a long shot.

killwill wrote: »
    KD is an unrestricted free agent after this season. It will come down to Curry or KD for a max contract and I believe that GSW will rightly reward Curry with it.
    IMO what KD is looking for is a ring this season and then move to a contender and get his max contract.

Can't see him leaving. It's not about one ring with these guys, it's about multiple rings, and his best chance of that for the foreseeable future is GS. The max thing isn't even a thing, KD makes far more money off the court than he does on - and being in SF will open up a myriad of commercial opportunities that simply aren't there in OKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

May as well just get straight to the Warriors v Cavs final to save us all the time over the next 8 months.

Yeah its looking that way, shame really. But the GSW wont fold as easy this time.....maybe injuries will play a big part this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I haven't been as excited for an NBA season in a few years. Chicago made some good moves; Rondo & Wade seem to have a hunger for playing judging by the preseason games, but I'm not sure about the organisations stability these days. Celtics with the addition of Horford are looking real strong, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get to the Conference finals this year. The Knicks have an interesting group of guys, but I just can't see them doing well. Out of the West, as always I'll be looking out for San Antonio. Duncan's leadership is gone, but Pauga is such a conservative replacement. It's definitely a capable bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I think Iam finally over last seasons loss, it broke me for a while
    After watching the Warriors last few games, it's going to be one hell of a season, it's hard to look beyond them but let's not remind ourselves of last seasons collapse.
    Beyond Durant, the signings of pachulia and west could be key, also McGee could turn out to be very valuable.

Got tickets for the cavs game already, prices this year are criminal, it's ridiculous, $600 for two tickets, same tickets would of been less than a $100 for both a few years ago, I remember buying $30 tickets not so long ago, it's madness

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads this is just brilliant, dont know how the kids or the pros kept a straight face......

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Paully D wrote: »
    May as well just get straight to the Warriors v Cavs final to save us all the time over the next 8 months.

After Cleveland getting JR Smith done yesterday, all of their key players (LeBron / Love / Irving / Smith / Thompson) are under contract for the coming three seasons. They're looking at a period of unprecedented stability for the franchise. They won't have much flexibility around that, but they probably won't need to do a huge amount around it to continue dominating the East. During LeBron's first run at the franchise they did a terrible job at building around him but they've worked a very strong situation now, and they're well positioned to risk a blockbuster trade on their own terms if something interesting becomes an option over the next 18 months.

While Chicago / Boston / Knicks have done things, and will be interesting to watch develop, Miami are having to start again and I'd argue that Toronto aren't going to be good enough to win a seven game series if it comes down to it.

With Durant moving to the Warriors though, if there are no shocks and we get the repeat match up it will be very easy to root for the underdogs the whole way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17734638/30-crazy-predictions-2016-17-nba-season-zach-lowe

Enjoyable read. Some of these are plain madness, particularly 24 - if Bosh can't get cleared in Miami he's not going to get cleared elsewhere imo.

MCW to Chicago for Snell. I think it's an upgrade for Chicago as he's a bigger (physically, as in wider and "appears" to have longer arms for those passing lanes) defensive presence and when fully focused he an be very good offensively.

We still have a week to go before tip off but are we going to do predictions etc. as per usual?

I'm intrigued by the JaVale McGee at the Warriors move, somehow that went under my radar. It could work and if anyone can maximise his potential I believe Kerr can. He won't have to do much offensively and if he can protect the rim and grab some boards, that's really all that's required from him. A few dunks from catches within a foot of the rim and provide "energy" from the bench would be a bonus. I remember hearing a coach in reply to a question on "what do you want from your 7 footers?" and his response was "rebound and chew gum". That's really all he has to do.

MCW to Chicago for Snell. I think it's an upgrade for Chicago as he's a bigger (physically, as in wider and "appears" to have longer arms for those passing lanes) defensive presence and when fully focused he an be very good offensively.

We still have a week to go before tip off but are we going to do predictions etc. as per usual?

I'm intrigued by the JaVale McGee at the Warriors move, somehow that went under my radar. It could work and if anyone can maximise his potential I believe Kerr can. He won't have to do much offensively and if he can protect the rim and grab some boards, that's really all that's required from him. A few dunks from catches within a foot of the rim and provide "energy" from the bench would be a bonus. I remember hearing a coach in reply to a question on "what do you want from your 7 footers?" and his response was "rebound and chew gum". That's really all he has to do.

How in god's name did JaVale Shaqing da Fool McGee get with GSW? Props to his agent. To be fair, he actually has some talent as a rip protector. I hope he does not waste this chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17734638/30-crazy-predictions-2016-17-nba-season-zach-lowe

Enjoyable read. Some of these are plain madness, particularly 24 - if Bosh can't get cleared in Miami he's not going to get cleared elsewhere imo.

Even if he gets cleared I don't think he gets picked up this is not a case of if he plays again it could affect his body long term he could die and to look at it in a really really **** way (because this is how teams will look at it) that would be a pr nightmare

nerd69 wrote: »
    Even if he gets cleared I don't think he gets picked up this is not a case of if he plays again it could affect his body long term he could die and to look at it in a really really **** way (because this is how teams will look at it) that would be a pr nightmare

Forget if he died, if he even collapsed on court it would be a PR disaster for that team AND the league. It's very sad for Bosh but the risk is far too high. I read someone compare it to Brandon Roy recently and it's such a ridiculous comparison to compare a knee injury to Bosh's condition. I just can't see it happening.

The horrible thing about Chris Bosh is, people accepted that he was very good at Toronoto. But people always failed to consider him as the 3rd part of the Big Three, more a guy who just got lucky that Carmello did not go and join his chums in Miami, that he was not want LeBron wanted.

In his time at Miami, he was criminally underrated. He could space out the floor and he was not terrible at defence. He went on a great run of form when LeBron was injured in the Championship Season. People just destroyed him with , admittingly hilarious youtube videos about being a bit gay and his photobombing. Then you listen to him talk and he got got a deep voice and comes across as articulate etc. For a team that was not renowned for rebounding, despite having energetic guys like Birdman (who was brilliant for them) It was Bosh's rebound and quick thinking pass to Ray Allen that won them the Championship. Funny one of the last plays of last season's finals involved Kevin Love actually doing defense against Curry of all people.

If I was Bosh, I would not blame him for being a bit salty (as they say in the States) about the likely love bombing that he will receive now, especially when he got alot of abuse for keyboard warriors and even journalists. You saw the clip of him being up at the press conference and he politely sat there waiting for questions. Awkwardly realizing, none of the journalists had anything to ask him. - They had lost as well, so it was decent of him to face the press.

In fairness, Riley has gone through the fear of a player dying on the floor already - Mourning. I would not want to go through that again. But I hope they can part ways properly. Riley has a bit of history sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

MCW fits into the Chicago gameplan of 'cannot shoot the 3'.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    MCW fits into the Chicago gameplan of 'cannot shoot the 3'.

The question isn't are Chicago going to be a train wreck, it's how much of a train wreck they're going to be.

Advertisement