Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Zzippy wrote: »
    I poke holes with a sharp knife. Not even sure why though!

Because you're a Philistine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I poke holes with a sharp knife. Not even sure why though!

Interesting.

I'm doing a research paper on the shared habits of the criminally insane. Do you mind if I ask you more questions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Because you're a Philistine! :D

Yeah, and...? Old news...

Interesting.

I'm doing a research paper on the shared habits of the criminally insane. Do you mind if I ask you more questions?

No problem. You can come over and I'll cook us a few sausages while holding my sharp knife... ;)

Yeah, and...? Old news...

No problem. You can come over and I'll cook us a few sausages while holding my sharp knife... ;)

UACUrYh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How low and slow? Grill/fry/oven?

Pan fried - pretty much as Erik said, as low as you can get the heat (gas or electric) so that you just hear a very feint sizzle. And absolutely do not prick, tear, score or damage the skin - this keeps all the juices inside. In fact, for this very reason I'd often keep the string of sausages together, and cut after cooking.

• Advertisement

I like thick slicing onions and thin slicing potatoes. Chuck them into the oven on 180 with a bit of sage, then throw the sausages in with them and give them a few pokes with the fork. Hash browns and sausages. Fry up an egg and your in business.

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I like thick slicing onions and thin slicing potatoes. Chuck them into the oven on 180 with a bit of sage, then throw the sausages in with them and give them a few pokes with the fork. Hash browns and sausages. Fry up an egg and your in business.

This is the D4 version of a sausage bap.

Sage...

awec wrote: »
    This is the D4 version of a sausage bap.

Sage...

I share a province with these people

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I share a province with these people

Could be worse, you could be into potato farls...

On the topic of cooking meat - how do people here do their steak? I have always gone for what I gathered to be the universally accepted method - leppping hot pan, cooked in oil for only a few minutes each side.

But Raymond Blanc makes a compelling case for a lower heat (around medium low), a longer cooking time, and cooking the steaks in a beurre noisette in stead of oil. Haven't gotten around to trying this myself yet, but since he taught Marco Pierre White, Heston Blumenthal and Gordon Ramsey how to cook, I suspect he knows what he's talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Have we really got no pokers or slicers?

I'm a poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sage? Jesus wept.

Pan. Oil. Heat. Cook sausages slowly until sizzled, dark brown all over and eat with sauce of choice. Dipping into yolk of fried egg encouraged.

Remnants of sauce, grease and yolk to be mopped using a thick slice of heavily buttered bread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good sausages (i.e. not the risk and gristle tubes you usually get in Ireland) cooked slowly in a pot with lentils, carrots, onions and a wee bit of bacon are divine.

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good sausages (i.e. not the risk and gristle tubes you usually get in Ireland) cooked slowly in a pot with lentils, carrots, onions and a wee bit of bacon are divine.

Go away with your contintental shite.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lentils!!!

**** off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Neil3030 wrote: »
    On the topic of cooking meat - how do people here do their steak? I have always gone for what I gathered to be the universally accepted method - leppping hot pan, cooked in oil for only a few minutes each side.

But Raymond Blanc makes a compelling case for a lower heat (around medium low), a longer cooking time, and cooking the steaks in a beurre noisette in stead of oil. Haven't gotten around to trying this myself yet, but since he taught Marco Pierre White, Heston Blumenthal and Gordon Ramsey how to cook, I suspect he knows what he's talking about!

Season well. Hot, hot griddle pan. No oil. 1 min each side. Move to lower temp and cook to desired level. Anything above medium is a sin.

The most important thing about a steak is the meat itself. Baby Angus Striploin from James Whelans is my current favourite.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,353 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    Season well. Hot, hot griddle pan. No oil. 1 min each side. Move to lower temp and cook to desired level. Anything above medium is a sin.

The most important thing about a steak is the meat itself. Baby Angus Striploin from James Whelans is my current favourite.

I was about to post pretty much exactly the same.

I'd add the pre seasoning of small pinch of salt, loads of pepper, and steaks slapped off the prep board once on either side

sydthebeat wrote: »

I'd add the pre seasoning of small pinch of salt, loads of pepper, and steaks slapped off the prep board once on either side

You could be fancy if you didn't mind the extra washing and transfer the steak from the griddle to a separate (pre-heated) pan and chuck in some butter, garlic and rosemary. But I prefer to save all that for the spuds!

molloyjh wrote: »

sydthebeat wrote: »

I would have always thought along very similar lines - except maybe some oil to assist caramelisation.

But if Raymond Blanc says to cook slowly on medium heat, and in browned butter... well I will absolutely need to check that out!

• Advertisement

Raymond No Thancs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good quality sausages (and don't mean Superquinn or Dennys) on the bbq. Average supermarket ones in the oven. No pricking or slicing. And there are types of sausages other than pork FFS!

Definitely going to give that steak recipe a go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It depends entirely on the piece of steak. Most Irish steak you could use a Yankee candle for 2 minutes or a flame thrower for three quarters of an hour and you'll still have delicious meat. For French meat you need to carefully select the piece and cook it accordingly.

Flank steak is four minutes total in a Teardrop of oil, sirloin is a little more permissive and can be cooked lower and longer. Côte de bœuf needs a few minutes in a smoking pan and 15 minutes in a hellfire oven.

But at the end of the day it will still have a bitter taste of disappointment.

Because French steak is ****e.

I would have always thought along very similar lines - except maybe some oil to assist caramelisation.

But if Raymond Blanc says to cook slowly on medium heat, and in browned butter... well I will absolutely need to check that out!

Just watched that there now. I'm always after better ways to prepare my food so I'll def give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Really depends on the steak. A picanha or bavette I would use this method, once you have a proper sized hunk of meat you can defo cook at a lower temp, but I usually seal it first.

Steak like striploin or ribeye should be cooked in the American way, that is to say in a hotter than hell skillet, no oil, rub the steak with oil and salt, sear each side before throwing in a giant knob of butter, basting, rest. Done.

As an aside, I love how French Raymond Blanc is.

He has to be putting the accent on.

Also I don't use a griddle pan to cook steak anymore unless it's skirt or flank. It doesn't give a proper crust! You need a heavy old school well seasoned skillet.

Also don't season your steaks with pepper until AFTER they cook. Pepper burns and becomes acrid.

.ak wrote: »
    Also I don't use a griddle pan to cook steak anymore unless it's skirt or flank. It doesn't give a proper crust! You need a heavy old school well seasoned skillet.

Also don't season your steaks with pepper until AFTER they cook. Pepper burns and becomes acrid.

Yup, have a massive old skillet and it weighs a f*ck ton but it's the only thing I cook a steak on. Rare i'd get a flank cut unless it's going on the BBQ for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

30 day old rib eye...left out of the fridge for 40 mins, covered in oil on both sides and then seasoned with salt...hot pan for about 80 seconds each side and season with a little salt again and pepper...the mutts nuts!

• Advertisement

Boards.ie rugby board steak cook-off? I nominate myself judge :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement