Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This is a training seshun for Dublin. Their defence is giving Tyrone nothing and their forwards have kicked some beauts.

This is a training seshun for Dublin. Their defence is giving Tyrone nothing and their forwards have kicked some beauts.

Too soon for that but the game seems to have gone a bit flat when Dublin should be sealing the deal given how Tyrone are going about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Game was done at half time, in fairness. Dublin knew they could take the foot off the pedal. More pressing things for them now. Players making sure they didn't pick up a card or an injury.

Tyrone were never outscoring Dublin by 7 points in the second half given how they set up. If their plan doesn't work and a team gets a decent lead, it's near impossible for them to turn it around.

Not sorry to see them out. Some great counter attacking scores this year but I'll never be sorry to see the back of a team that defends like that.

It does also suggest that Ulster football is not in great shape at the moment. Tyrone were well off the pace today but were, by a distance, the best Ulster team this year.

Interesting that Gavin didn't give Connolly any proper game time really. Absolutely does not yield his plan it preparation for any player regardless of what's happening on the field.

I stopped watching at 55'. That was dire.

Dublin were awesome. Their conversion of opportunities and long range points was excellent. The two missing goals for Dublin meant the scoreline was closer than it should have been.

Edit: I just saw Dublin won by 12 points. Fair enough scoreline then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

mfceiling wrote: »
    So the big fight...who's going to win.

One is a loud mouth gurrier with no class. The other is a wife beating show off with no class.

My money is on IBF...

McGregor is an absolute genius, no right being in that ring, but he was. And now he's 120mil richer. Well played sir, well played.

On the fight itself he did better than I expected, and far better than most gave him credit for. The main thing he couldn't translate into boxing is energy management, when your punching accuracy and power is negated by boxing gloves it's all about managing your energy and power.

But sure look, he wouldn't be the fighter he is if he didn't go chasing the knock out in the early rounds, thoroughly entertaining bout despite the gap in class. Onwards and upwards for him, proves to be an enigma once again; despite losing his star rises, and ofcourse he'll dine out on this for a long time. It will stand to his form on his feet in MMA too. Win or learn.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    McGregor is an absolute genius, no right being in that ring, but he was. And now he's 120mil richer. Well played sir, well played.

On the fight itself he did better than I expected, and far better than most gave him credit for. The main thing he couldn't translate into boxing is energy management, when your punching accuracy and power is negated by boxing gloves it's all about managing your energy and power.

But sure look, he wouldn't be the fighter he is if he didn't go chasing the knock out in the early rounds, thoroughly entertaining bout despite the gap in class. Onwards and upwards for him, proves to be an enigma once again; despite losing his star rises, and ofcourse he'll dine out on this for a long time. It will stand to his form on his feet in MMA too. Win or learn.

Yeah, basically. I mean, I don't care enough about either sport to get annoyed and it's all a bit of entertainment. I look forward to whatever sillyness he gets into next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Enjoyable break except for that game today. The dubs are like Barcelona...can't see mayo getting within an arses roar of them. Buer you're correct - this is a great city with so much to see and do. Ak you're also correct - McGregor is as good with his mouth as his fists.

Anyway I'm off out to drink beer and eat tapas. Adios amigos!!

I think the fight panned out perfectly for everyone. Mayweather gets a very straightforward win, McGregor shows that he's not completely useless as a boxer (although still a very one sided affair as expected) and the promoters and television companies get 10 rounds.

In terms of the fight, it was about as comprehensive a win as could be expected, I suppose. Mayweather doesn't knock people out. Not counting the Ortiz fight (when Mayweather sucker punched him when he was trying to touch gloves), he hasn't had a fight stopped in a decade. Being cynical, Mayweather absolutely cruised through the fight and was miles ahead on points when it was stopped. Two of the three judges gave CM the opening round but every other round to FM.

I did think that Mayweather was possibly going to knock him out or have it stopped in the opening 3 or 4 rounds so, in that respect, McGregor exceeded expecations but that's as much to do with Mayweather simply not putting him away due to his cautious style rather than any great performance from McGregor.

Hopefully he goes back to MMA now and is done with the sideshow. I imagine most top level boxers would similarly take McGragor apart. He hasn't much to gain by picking up another boxing match.

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have yet to watch the fight but from the short "highlights" I have seen McGregor does look fairly useless as a boxer. His one big moment seems to be that uppercut that had no impact whatsoever. Gassing after 3 or 4 rounds too is embarrassing. Doesn't have the power or brains for boxing. Seems to have a decent jaw though in fairness.

That was most likely one of the easiest fights Mayweather has had.

Buer wrote: »
    Absolutely exhibition stuff from Dublin so far. The forward line is putting on arguably the best display I've seen in the past decade. Tyrone have conceded an average of 12 points a game this year. Dublin are one short of that after 25 minutes despite Tyrone's horrible 14 man blanket defence.

I'll be as happy to see Tyrone out as I would be to see Dublin through. Hate seeing this defensive swarm with a wall of players back behind their own 45m line.

I recorded it to watch after the Liverpool match and I wish I hadn't bothered.

The match was no contest, as a neutral there is no entertainment in watching Dublin hand pass it around midfield.

Tyrone's style of play is hard on the eye and ineffective against good teams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    I recorded it to watch after the Liverpool match and I wish I hadn't bothered.

The match was no contest, as a neutral there is no entertainment in watching Dublin hand pass it around midfield.

Tyrone's style of play is hard on the eye and ineffective against good teams.

Agreed i was out last week during the mayo game and the pub was on tenterhooks

Nada today

awec wrote:

It was a very entertaining opening 20 or so minutes when Dublin genuinely put them to the sword. Their shooting, linking and angles of running were sublime.

But once they developed that 4-5 point cushion they knew they could go into cruise control and just minded themselves, picking off scores when they opportunities were clear. Tyrone never even bothered trying to throw caution to the wind which is a poor reflection on them. They were ridiculously rigid and underwhelming.

Tyrone never even bothered trying to throw caution to the wind which is a poor reflection on them. They were ridiculously rigid and underwhelming.

That blanket defence is worthless against a team like Dublin who are packed with long range forwards. I felt bad for some of their forwards who ran into traffic with no support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

mfceiling wrote: »
    Enjoyable break except for that game today. The dubs are like Barcelona...can't see mayo getting within an arses roar of them. Buer you're correct - this is a great city with so much to see and do. Ak you're also correct - McGregor is as good with his mouth as his fists.

Anyway I'm off out to drink beer and eat tapas. Adios amigos!!

It took Dublin a replay in 2015 to beat Mayo - a replay Mayo were 5 up in with 20 minutes to go. It took Dublin a replay to beat Mayo in 2016 - a replay they won by a point.

I highly doubt Mayo will be hammered and actually think they may get over the line.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I highly doubt Mayo will be hammered and actually think they may get over the line.

I hope they do. My marriage can't take another Dublin win.

That blanket defence is worthless against a team like Dublin who are packed with long range forwards. I felt bad for some of their forwards who ran into traffic with no support.

The scary thing is the depth they have in attack. Would it have been much different if Dublin started a half and full forward line up of Flynn, Connolly, Scully, Brogan, McManamon, Costello?

It's likely that every single one of those guys would be starting for any other county in the country.

It's a bit mad that Con O'Callaghan is a 21 year old who started his first championship game this summer and is now hot favourite for Footballer of the Year.

Mayo will have a go at Dublin and attack them, I still think Dublin will beat them but it will be a lot closer than today.

If Dublin play like the opening 20 minutes today nobody beats them.

I think the fight panned out perfectly for everyone. Mayweather gets a very straightforward win, McGregor shows that he's not completely useless as a boxer (although still a very one sided affair as expected) and the promoters and television companies get 10 rounds.

In terms of the fight, it was about as comprehensive a win as could be expected, I suppose. Mayweather doesn't knock people out. Not counting the Ortiz fight (when Mayweather sucker punched him when he was trying to touch gloves), he hasn't had a fight stopped in a decade. Being cynical, Mayweather absolutely cruised through the fight and was miles ahead on points when it was stopped. Two of the three judges gave CM the opening round but every other round to FM.

I did think that Mayweather was possibly going to knock him out or have it stopped in the opening 3 or 4 rounds so, in that respect, McGregor exceeded expecations but that's as much to do with Mayweather simply not putting him away due to his cautious style rather than any great performance from McGregor.

Hopefully he goes back to MMA now and is done with the sideshow. I imagine most top level boxers would similarly take McGragor apart. He hasn't much to gain by picking up another boxing match.
    I have yet to watch the fight but from the short "highlights" I have seen McGregor does look fairly useless as a boxer. His one big moment seems to be that uppercut that had no impact whatsoever. Gassing after 3 or 4 rounds too is embarrassing. Doesn't have the power or brains for boxing. Seems to have a decent jaw though in fairness.

That was most likely one of the easiest fights Mayweather has had.

The judging was a farce. Nearly every boxing pundit out there had CM as winner of rounds 1,2,3 and possibly 8 (just had the first three myself). Was always going to happen tho, which is why McGregor had to go for an early knock out, judges would always go for Floyd on the 50/50 rounds.

But yeah, easy win for FM, mostly because CM boxed himself out, and FM read it beautifully and started walking him down once he saw CM slow down.

One thing Conor needs to take from this is learn how to conserve energy with a poker face. He's too easy to read once gassed, a good fighter shouldn't show when he's tired, Conor's mouth opens, his eyelids drop, his hands drop, it's all very telegraphed, and both Diaz and FM read that and capitalized on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McGregor wasn't just a bit tired, he was bollixed!

Maybe if he'd better form on his rowing machine.................... :pac:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    McGregor wasn't just a bit tired, he was bollixed!

Maybe if he'd better form on his rowing machine.................... :pac:

Hahah.

Yeah he was bollixed by the 10th, but he started just getting tired after the 3rd and that body language showed despite his output.

Funny, he said he felt it in training too, in spars he'd dip between 6-9 and finish strong with a 2nd wind. You'd think with that in mind he'd really conserve his energy in the 4/5 rounds.

Boxing is such a conditioning based sport. I think you can do all the cycling, rowing and underwater running you want, it doesn't translate into the energy sapping feeling you get when you have to explode through your arms 30-50 times in a 3 minute round. It's so energy sapping it takes years to get to that boxer level conditioning, hence why new fighters generally are given bouts at less rounds.

Another reason why I have massive kudos to him for taking on a 12 round bout. Had the fight ended on the 10th he would've been looked at competitive if the judges did their job properly. That's crazy when you take into context the whole situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mayo will have a go at Dublin and attack them, I still think Dublin will beat them but it will be a lot closer than today.

If Dublin play like the opening 20 minutes today nobody beats them.

Should Dublin challenge Barcelona now that they've outgrown the GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm so glad this fight is over and we can get a break from the media telling the working class who their heros should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    The judging was a farce. Nearly every boxing pundit out there had CM as winner of rounds 1,2,3

If Mayweather wanted to win all 12 rounds he could have. He very clearly let McGregor punch himself out. The gulf in class was bigger than any boxing match I've ever watched.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This American obsession with shoehorning in some race-baiting in every article is a bit nauseating.

CMG fans are basically neo-nazis now, is that the not so subtle subtext?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Was at a stag over the weekend. WHY did I not take today off!?

On that article above, what a hot take from the author. Vegas is seedy. The fight was sponsored to the hilt. Mayweather is way better than McGregor at boxing, stop the presses. What the **** is up with this though?
    Reflecting on this jubilant sea of whiteness before him, Smith, who is African-American, said he admired the tribalism of it. “I think it’s good and healthy, to be honest with you,” he said. “You should be proud of your culture.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Americans have a very odd relationship with all things to do with race and an incredible inability to see it through any prism other then the American one. The fact that the vast majority of the Irish fans were white needs somehow a more complicated and deep seated reason.

Just as a heads up for those of us who browse Reddit; Reddit/r/All has links to discussions on the final episode of GoT. There are spoilers involved just by seeing the title of the link with a couple of them being on the front page already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Just as a heads up for those of us who browse Reddit; Reddit/r/All has links to discussions on the final episode of GoT. There are spoilers involved just by seeing the title of the link with a couple of them being on the front page already.

Saw that myself this morning, theres also a few gifs ect that don't have spoiler tags so you can seen thumbnails.

• Advertisement

I'm staying off Reddit for the day. Was in work this morning at 7 as it's an incredibly busy few months so had no opportunity to have a sneaky watch over breakfast. Am staying off Facebook and am avoiding populated areas. I'm not even going to the gym. I'm shutting down. Off the grid.

I'm basically Marcus Brody in Indiana Jones and the last Crusade and GOT spoilers are the Nazi's / Trump Supporters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement