Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't know what an Austin Gleeson is

Waterford hurler who pulled a Cork player's helmet off and miraculously escaped a ban.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sure what would a Kildare man know about the real sport of kings?

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zzippy wrote: »
    Sure what would a Kildare man know about the real sport of kings?

I thought IBF was from the northside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I played hurling for 25 years. It's a tough game, you need to be able to take a belt and give it too. If you think Gleeson is dirty you should have seen some of the teams I hurled against. Hurler and young hurler of the year, not many dirty hurlers win those, especially in the same year. I hope he has a great game on Sunday, think the game needs that for Waterford to have a chance. Still hope Galway win, obviously.
    I play semi regularly myself too (Junior A plz don't laugh) but if you bring in a rule for deliberate tampering with the helmet and don't enforce it or claim unintentional grab while not wanting to revoke it, why have it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I thought IBF was from the northside?

I know you do. But I'm not even from the north side of Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think it's a new high performance tractor. I believe it's what James Bond drives when he's on the farm.

I play semi regularly myself too (Junior A plz don't laugh) but if you bring in a rule for deliberate tampering with the helmet and don't enforce it or claim unintentional grab while not wanting to revoke it, why have it at all?

If that's your logic then Tuohy's a dirty hurler and has a red card coming to him on Sunday too. I'd rather see the best hurlers on the field for the final, both included.

I finished up playing Junior B so no laughing here!

If that's your logic then Tuohy's a dirty hurler and has a red card coming to him on Sunday too. I'd rather see the best hurlers on the field for the final, both included.
    Not exactly the logic I used. That one incident doesn't sum up a player's dirtiness. Bennett isn't a player I'd ever think is dirty and he grabbed the helmet.

My point is by the letter of the law these are intentional. Gleeson's looked worse and more intentional because Tuohy smartly did it one swift enough motion. Both were guilty imo.

Not exactly the logic I used. That one incident doesn't sum up a player's dirtiness. Bennett isn't a player I'd ever think is dirty and he grabbed the helmet.

My point is by the letter of the law these are intentional. Gleeson's looked worse and more intentional because Tuohy smartly did it one swift enough motion. Both were guilty imo.

Well you haven't provided any other examples of Gleeson being a dirty player, other than the helmet incident, which IMO was no worse than Tuohy. There are very few examples of the very best hurlers who were also dirty (Tommy Walsh a debatable exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How do Germans live past 60? Last night's meal: Pork knuckle the size of my head, a basket of fried potatoes and black pudding, all covered with beer sauce with a side of sauerkraut fried in beer. All washed down with a few ice-cold, hausbrau pilsner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Neil3030 wrote: »
    How do Germans live past 60? Last night's meal: Pork knuckle the size of my head, a basket of fried potatoes and black pudding, all covered with beer sauce with a side of sauerkraut fried in beer. All washed down with a few ice-cold, hausbrau pilsner.

20fwy6e.gif

Well you haven't provided any other examples of Gleeson being a dirty player, other than the helmet incident, which IMO was no worse than Tuohy. There are very few examples of the very best hurlers who were also dirty (Tommy Walsh a debatable exception).

This isn't dirty but great combo of soft punch and unsporting Tipp behaviour

Off the top of my head: Him nearly beheading Maher a while back, red card in that massive brawl at club, Meade helmet pull are the only 3 I can remember that were highlighted. He's not Johnny Maher but he's still dirty imo.

I have huge respect for Gleeson but he's petulant. He has all the talent in the world but he does stupid things off the ball.

30 mins until kick off... Dare I try making steak maman blanc, or do i just stick the frozen pizza in the oven?

Pizza

Pizza steak

Pizza steak

do-you-mind-jnacyf.jpg

Just dug my spuds. Most wiped out by blight. Sticking to first earlies next year. On the plus side, got loads of onions and shallots so won't be buying those for a while...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Where's the rugby gambling thread gone? Or what's it called now.

Never mind, I'm stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just dug my spuds. Most wiped out by blight. Sticking to first earlies next year. On the plus side, got loads of onions and shallots so won't be buying those for a while...

I gave up years ago with Main Crop. Planted my second earlies at the beginning of spring and lifted them about 3 weeks ago. Good crop with no chemicals used.
    Onions good. Tomatoes in poly tunnel and chillies are very good this year.
    The joys of having horses. Well rotted manure.

OldRio wrote: »
    I gave up years ago with Main Crop. Planted my second earlies at the beginning of spring and lifted them about 3 weeks ago. Good crop with no chemicals used.

This year I'm going to leave a compost mound out over the winter. Had trouble with gnats all through the summer who took a real liking to the carrot beds so want to avoid getting store bought composting soil as this appears to have been the culprit.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »

I had a couple of rows of first earlies which produced well. Second earlies still risk blight so just gonna get them out of the ground early next year. Tomatoes in the tunnel are flying, getting loads for the last 6 weeks and loads more to ripen yet. Tried sweetcorn too, not a heavy cropper but lovely cooked straight after picking.

Is this still about game of thrones?

Is this still about game of thrones?

Yes. Winter is coming. No tomatoes then ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Some awful soft decisions in this hurling match. It's illegal to catch a ball when someone good it on the hurl now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Some awful soft decisions in this hurling match. It's illegal to catch a ball when someone good it on the hurl now, is it?

There's been what, one free so far?

There's been what, one free so far?

I think he's overseas so he's watching it from the future

There had been two in a minute when I posted and I'd just turned it on. One for a shoulder to shoulder and one for no discernible reason.

Deserved win for Galway. Better team, hit some fantastic scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

There won't be a bottle of Buckfast drunk on the Sparch tonight.. no wait

• Advertisement

Waterford blew a chance they should never have had. Nervy performance at both ends, snapping at shots and making a pig's ear out of basic rising and striking at the back.

Well deserved win for Galway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement