Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The fastest regular car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Any rental car

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I have an Insignia Elite, 2.0l Turbo (Petrol version, not diesel). 220BHP, very quick to move :)

I'd agree with Insignia Elite a Super Tourer one be my choice but with the Bi Turbo diesel. All gadgets/comfort plus 195 bhp and huge dollop of torque diesel engine. A fair bit cheaper than petrol, at 1400 tax I'd consider paying extra for the OPC if I was really after the extra punch of petrol. :D

However the likely hood somebody has spent for a top model spec car in a Opel dealer unlikely, find them up north in Vauxhall guise easy enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

edburg wrote: »
    I'd agree with Insignia Elite a Super Tourer one be my choice but with the Bi Turbo diesel. All gadgets/comfort plus 195 bhp and huge dollop of torque diesel engine.

That's what the Motorway Guards use isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

A 170bhp diesel Golf is a pretty quick car for an oil burner, especially after a remap

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Jesus. wrote: »

I behave on road so don't know :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Jesus. wrote: »

The guards were looking to buy my one - got a deposit on it with the dealer before they got around to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

OSI wrote: »
    Why would the Guards be walking into a dealer to buy an Insignia :confused:

They didn't "walk in" - they had contacted the dealer to arrange inspection and/or purchase. I trust the dealer so I am happy that this was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

OSI wrote: »
    Why would the Guards be walking into a dealer to buy an Insignia :confused:

For the same reason they have to let you sh1t in their hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Fine motor.. the guards are interested in buying this so you better be quick with that deposit.... Dealers come out with all lines.

Are we still living in a country where dealers can use the guards and taxi driver interest as A. a sign of it being a good car and B. to try and get a deposit from you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Any rental car

Not as fast as a white van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rental white van, best of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Not as fast as a white van.

After spending a few weeks in France driving the motorways I'd have to agree :P I've never seen such an amount of merc sprinters travelling at 150kph+
    I'd love to see what they're like on the autobahn in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

After spending a few weeks in France driving the motorways I'd have to agree :P I've never seen such an amount of merc sprinters travelling at 150kph+
    I'd love to see what they're like on the autobahn in Germany

170+ km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

CiniO wrote: »
    170+ km/h.

A Nissan NV200 will do at least 180kmh.

On an autobahn of course.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

If I ever had to get a small engined car that's cheap to run but still packs a punch, it'd be the 1.4 TSI Golf GT. Costs just about €5000, tax is €385 for the year and I was getting insurance quotes south of €500 on it (25 M 4y NCB). Coming in at 170bhp, I really don't see anything else around that's like it in terms of power, price and running costs.

Example: https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gt-1-4-170bhp/12422954

Have to agree the 1.4 turbo engines are pretty good.

Have a 1.4t Astra k with 150bhp.

Moves well and lots of low down grunt. Faster than my previous Astra 2.0cdti.

Fairly economical aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It wasn't the speed really that was surprising modern big td vans with long ratio gearboxes always had the capability of cruising at big speeds, what was surprising however was how it was the norm over there. Definitely not something that's seen day in day out here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

If a 320d is a regular car I am going to argue for the 330e plug in hybrid. Ok, plug in is not regular but the car has a 2.0 petrol engine and will get respectable mpg in its own right. Tax is 170 per annum.
    The car is actually significantly cheaper than a 320d at the moment. How long that will last, who knows!
    But 0-60 time is 6.1 seconds. It will be a very mainstream car soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

2000 Honda Civic VTi/SiR is another I'd put forward. The bulletproof 1.6 VTEC engine makes around 160bhp and really is great to go. I bought one for ~€2500 in 2012 so I'd imagine they're in or around the same if not a bit less now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bmwguy wrote: »
    If a 320d is a regular car I am going to argue for the 330e plug in hybrid. Ok, plug in is not regular but the car has a 2.0 petrol engine and will get respectable mpg in its own right. Tax is 170 per annum.
    The car is actually significantly cheaper than a 320d at the moment. How long that will last, who knows!
    But 0-60 time is 6.1 seconds. It will be a very mainstream car soon.

The s90 T8 PHEV will beat that! If we're including that type of car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I drove a seat Leon Cupra once I can't remember exactly the spec fed had a 2 litre plus diesel engine but my God the power was unreal.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The s90 T8 PHEV will beat that! If we're including that type of car.

We are including every type of car by the looks of it! I actually meant to say mercedes competitor to the bmw is actually a little bit faster, and perhaps the volvo is too

We are including every type of car by the looks of it! I actually meant to say mercedes competitor to the bmw is actually a little bit faster, and perhaps the volvo is too

The 330e is 250bhp, the s90 T8 is 400bhp and qualifies for highest VRT rebate and SEAI grant. It's all smoke and mirrors but the 48g/km CO2 keeps the cost down on the purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

2000 Honda Civic VTi/SiR is another I'd put forward. The bulletproof 1.6 VTEC engine makes around 160bhp and really is great to go. I bought one for ~€2500 in 2012 so I'd imagine they're in or around the same if not a bit less now.

They're a sports version though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

So are most of the cars mentioned so far golf tsi gt isn't a base model for instance.

it's more of a 'post a car that you like' thread, not enough limits on what goes in and what doesn't.

To be fair an ek vti/sir is about as good as it gets for cheap, fast, low cost motoring. They're fuppin quick, very easy to run, fix & almost every part of every Honda fits on to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Cheensbo wrote: »
    So are most of the cars mentioned so far golf tsi gt isn't a base model for instance.

it's more of a 'post a car that you like' thread, not enough limits on what goes in and what doesn't.

To be fair an ek vti/sir is about as good as it gets for cheap, fast, low cost motoring. They're fuppin quick, very easy to run, fix & almost every part of every Honda fits on to them!

I think you might change your mind about them being lost cost motoring when you get an insurance quote! Three words that strike fear in the eyes of insurance companies...old (in the eyes of the insurance company), fast and Civic!

Marcusm wrote: »
    The 330e is 250bhp, the s90 T8 is 400bhp and qualifies for highest VRT rebate and SEAI grant. It's all smoke and mirrors but the 48g/km CO2 keeps the cost down on the purchase price.

It may be my fault for saying the 330e was a regular car but I will be absolutely amazed if a 400bhp comes to Ireland or sells more than a couple of units, although it does sound like a beast of a car, more suited to American market I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Cheensbo wrote: »

It was me who suggested the TSI Golf too :P

Even though the VTi and Golf TSI aren't base models, I'd still call both of them ordinary cars to be honest. There has been a lot of silly suggestions in this thread that aren't ordinary by any definition, but I've tried to keep sane with those suggestions. Both I've suggested are cheap to buy, neither look particularly special, both 1.6L or below, both very quick!
    BDJW wrote: »
    I think you might change your mind about them being lost cost motoring when you get an insurance quote! Three words that strike fear in the eyes of insurance companies...old (in the eyes of the insurance company), fast and Civic!

Can confirm this though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

is there a price limit on this or is it just any price. Might get more specific selection if there is price limit

• Advertisement

It may be my fault for saying the 330e was a regular car but I will be absolutely amazed if a 400bhp comes to Ireland or sells more than a couple of units, although it does sound like a beast of a car, more suited to American market I would say

Same engine in XC90 T8 and suggestions are that it's outselling the higher spec diesels. VRT is much lower because of theoretically low co2 emissions. As a package it's much more pricecefficient than tge X5 equivalent. The s90 and v90 probably won't sell that well but they should just like the 850 T5 back in the 90s. A limited market. I guess I was just making the point that the 330e engine package is very similar to a lot of other cars and isn't really normal.

Advertisement