Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The fastest regular car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Are ye still talking about cars :?:

I second the Volvo S60 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

kceire wrote: »
    BMW 535d
    Audi 3.0

All considerably faster than the run of the mill 320 or 2.2 Honda and all just look like normal everyday rep mobiles.

Ah the 535D. Faster than any Lancer Evo for sure :pac::pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have an E90 330d 2009

- tax €390, insurance last year was €600. 40 mpg average.

6.5 sec (ish) 0 to 60 officially.

335d be quicker (not much) and lower mpg.

Surely the answer is some class of a 1.8 or 2.0 turbo petrol.

Had a Legacy at one stage seriously quick but about 18mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I think many, if not most of the examples given in the thread miss Cinio's point - I take it as "what's the fastest bog standard, non fancy, Joe-Soap car around?". Cars that you realistically see in very high numbers around the roads, and that any person would buy - not just petrolheads or showoffish rich kids.

Something like a 535d, 330e, Focus / Fiesta / Mondeo ST and the likes are nowhere near "average", not even in D4; Nor is something like a 2.4 JTDm Alfa 159 - I have actually never seen one driving around in Ireland (they're reasonably popular in Italy 'though). Needless to say anything being a performance trim should be excluded as well.

A decent denominator would probably be maximum 4 cylinders, sub 2000cc diesel or petrol - with some leeway for those manufacturers, such as Honda, that have "odd" engine sizes like the 2.2 Diesel being their proposition in the classic 2.0 Turbodiesel band (nobody can deny there are a lot of Accords and Civics with that engine around).

In such case, probably the best bet in terms of overall performance would be the ubiquitous BMW 320d, with its sub-8 seconds 0-100 performance and overall solid cornering/handling.

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I think many, if not most of the examples given in the thread miss Cinio's point - I take it as "what's the fastest bog standard, non fancy, Joe-Soap car around?". Cars that you realistically see in very high numbers around the roads, and that any person would buy - not just petrolheads or showoffish rich kids.

Something like a 535d, 330e, Focus / Fiesta / Mondeo ST and the likes are nowhere near "average", not even in D4; Nor is something like a 2.4 JTDm Alfa 159 - I have actually never seen one driving around in Ireland (they're reasonably popular in Italy 'though). Needless to say anything being a performance trim should be excluded as well.

A decent denominator would probably be maximum 4 cylinders, sub 2000cc diesel or petrol - with some leeway for those manufacturers, such as Honda, that have "odd" engine sizes like the 2.2 Diesel being their proposition in the classic 2.0 Turbodiesel band (nobody can deny there are a lot of Accords and Civics with that engine around).

In such case, probably the best bet in terms of overall performance would be the ubiquitous BMW 320d, with its sub-8 seconds 0-100 performance and overall solid cornering/handling.

Your interpretation.
    The OP referenced their 09 Car

There's £2000 between a standard 09 320d and similar 330d on UK autotrader today. 70k miles as an example.

Wouldn't consider myself a petrol head or a (ahem) showoffish rich kid.
    Bulk of my cars have been 1.9/2.0 diesels - Golf, Passat, Insignia.

Would agree that limiting to 2.0 diesels you are prob right with 320d.

But wouldn't see why that would be the limit.
    An older decent petrol would probably be run cheaper in the long run depending on annual mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,882 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Volvo 850 T5-R
    That could do 0-60 in 5 sex

scanlone wrote: »
    Your interpretation.
    The OP referenced their 09 Car

There's £2000 between a standard 09 320d and similar 330d on UK autotrader today. 70k miles as an example.

Wouldn't consider myself a petrol head or a (ahem) showoffish rich kid.
    Bulk of my cars have been 1.9/2.0 diesels - Golf, Passat, Insignia.

Would agree that limiting to 2.0 diesels you are prob right with 320d.

But wouldn't see why that would be the limit.
    An older decent petrol would probably be run cheaper in the long run depending on annual mileage.

Fact is, we're talking "normal", widespread cars, not "what's the fastest affordable car"; A 330d is by no means widespread, at least in Ireland - how many of them do you see driving around daily, as opposed to 320's? The issue isn't in the price or insurance nor even tax, it's just that most people would simply not consider a 3.0L, even if they costed exactly the same and used the exact same amount of fuel. All else being the same, it's a psychological barrier just as with, say, a V6 as opposed to an L4. They are content with the bog standard 2.0, be it TDi, CDTI, JTDm or whichever flavour they prefer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Volvo 850 T5-R
    That could do 0-60 in 5 sex

Going down a hill ? Besides it's hardly a regular is it.

I think people need to define 'regular' and 'fast' most the fast cars being mentioned here aren't regular and most of the regular ones being mentioned aren't fast. Is there a happy medium ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Hate to admit it, but '08 onwards 320d is a hard one to beat.

• Advertisement

Hate to admit it, but '08 onwards 320d is a hard one to beat.

Just a few months time, and it's gonna be beaten, with a 7.1 0-100 time and fine handling ;).

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Just a few months time, and it's gonna be beaten, with a 7.1 0-100 time and fine handling ;).

What would that be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

The new Alfa.

The new Alfa.

Tbh the f30 is such a disappointment, the new alfa should do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Tbh the f30 is such a disappointment, the new alfa should do well.

The F30 is a disappointment indeed.

The Alfa ha proven itself to be a proper drivers car throughout numerous tests. Will be interesting to see if the quality is there on the inside.

What will be very important to them selling is competitive finance packages. Over 75% of new cars in Ireland sold last year were on PCP. They have to hit that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I have an Insignia Elite, 2.0l Turbo (Petrol version, not diesel). 220BHP, very quick to move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

The new Golf R. Plenty of them around too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Did we ever figure out what op means by regular? I think this needs to be defined. A golf R does not stand for regular. It is a tuned up version and marketed as such.

A bmw 530 is regular in my opinion, some will see them as not because they are expensive. Never marketed as a performance car even though it has good performance. That is reserved for the m5 which is equivalent of golf R for marketing purposes. Golf R probably cheaper than 530 but not as regular if you get me.

We will all disagree on regular.

Need to put boundaries on this, I.e. fastest car under 30k/40k, under 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

bmwguy wrote: »
    Did we ever figure out what op means by regular? I think this needs to be defined. A golf R does not stand for regular. It is a tuned up version and marketed as such.

A bmw 530 is regular in my opinion, some will see them as not because they are expensive. Never marketed as a performance car even though it has good performance. That is reserved for the m5 which is equivalent of golf R for marketing purposes. Golf R probably cheaper than 530 but not as regular if you get me.

We will all disagree on regular.

Need to put boundaries on this, I.e. fastest car under 30k/40k, under 2.5

As a previous poster stated, I think by regular you'd be talking about 4 cylinders and max 2L capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I guess it's all about perception. The base VW was previously marketed in an advert where a person walks into a supermarket and picks out a Golf to buy. I would consider the Golf and it's R a regular car. It can be bought readily from a dealership. There are future more rarer models of the R coming out such as the 400. This would not a be a regular car.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

millington wrote: »
    In terms of this thread, nobody else has come up with a better answer that balances power & running costs :confused:

Seat Leon...

The wife has a diesel 184bhp DSG wagon. Sub 8 second 0 - 100 kph. Taxes B1. So, cheap to run and drives quick. More lot more standard kit too than equivalent Golf.

Now, the Seat Leon Cupra is a different beast... Sure, it's a tuned, high performance model as opposed to a trim line - it's possibly the best value out there for a 290HP, and 5.8 seconds 0 - 100. Petrol, taxes C or €390 with DSG....

One could convincingly argue that the Cupra is affordable in the context of the OPs question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

166man wrote: »
    What will be very important to them selling is competitive finance packages. Over 75% of new cars in Ireland sold last year were on PCP. They have to hit that market.

Is that anecdotal or an evidential statement? Do you mean new private as opposed to fleet sales? If 75% of new cars are on 3 year PCP deals then there is a lot of RV risk out there within financial institutions (not all PCP is distributor captive finance companies).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Seat Leon...

The wife has a diesel 184bhp DSG wagon. Sub 8 second 0 - 100 kph. Taxes B1. So, cheap to run and drives quick. More lot more standard kit too than equivalent Golf.

Now, the Seat Leon Cupra is a different beast... Sure, it's a tuned, high performance model as opposed to a trim line - it's possibly the best value out there for a 290HP, and 5.8 seconds 0 - 100. Petrol, taxes C or €390 with DSG....

One could convincingly argue that the Cupra is affordable in the context of the OPs question.

The Leon FR is a sports version as such. Same as a Golf GTD.

I think this is more aimed at cars that performance isn't too high on the list of the priorities.

An E90 320d SE definitely doesn't look like it would have 180 odd hp and more than blends in with other mundane traffic. Cheap to buy & tax.
    Used_Bmw_3_series_2011_Black_Saloon_Diesel_Manual_for_Sale_in_Kent_UK.jpg

While a 330 or 335 would be even more of a wolf in sheeps clothing, Irish people don't except €750 as regular tax on a post-08 car:rolleyes:

While a 330 or 335 would be even more of a wolf in sheeps clothing, Irish people don't except €750 as regular tax on a post-08 car:rolleyes:

The tax on a 2009 330d is €390. Can only assume it went down again since with any engine updates

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

The Leon FR is a sports version as such. Same as a Golf GTD.

I think this is more aimed at cars that performance isn't too high on the list of the priorities.

An E90 320d SE definitely doesn't look like it would have 180 odd hp and more than blends in with other mundane traffic. Cheap to buy & tax.
    Used_Bmw_3_series_2011_Black_Saloon_Diesel_Manual_for_Sale_in_Kent_UK.jpg

The FR is a trim level... in the same way that an SE or M Sport is in a BMW. It is however a trim level that gains access to two faster engines... Which is common - even Audi and BMW apply this... No SE330s....! The 150 and 184BHP variants - both standard stock and untuned motors.

The FR is a trim level... in the same way that an SE or M Sport is in a BMW. It is however a trim level that gains access to two faster engines... Which is common - even Audi and BMW apply this... No SE330s....! The 150 and 184BHP variants - both standard stock and untuned motors.
    By the same logic then we should include GTi Golfs, Focus STs etc. as they are only higher spec/trims than the standard cars but I think it's a bit more interesting the remove and hint of performance models :D

F30 330d is available in Luxury & MSport I think so it's not like the only choice is the Sports version. E46 & E90 were both available in SE spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Ryath

Seat Leon...

Was going post the FR 184 too the estate is apparently .3 of a second slower to a 100. The 5 door does it in 7.5 seconds in manual and dsg. Can't see another family hatchback that costs €27,000 new anyway close. The 1.8 TSI 180bhp petrol that's available elsewhere matches the 184 diesel in manual and does it in 7.2 seconds with the dsg box. It's £1800 less than the 184 diesel in the UK I'm very tempted to buy a used estate version of it over there.

Two fasted budget cars new have to be the Ibiza Cupra and the Fiesta ST 0-100 in about 6.5 for around €23000. If they came in 5door I'd be very tempted!

Ryath wrote: »
    Was going post the FR 184 too the estate is apparently .3 of a second slower to a 100. The 5 door does it in 7.5 seconds in manual and dsg. Can't see another family hatchback that costs €27,000 new anyway close. The 1.8 TSI 180bhp petrol that's available elsewhere matches the 184 diesel in manual and does it in 7.2 seconds with the dsg box. It's £1800 less than the 184 diesel in the UK I'm very tempted to buy a used estate version of it over there.

Two fasted budget cars new have to be the Ibiza Cupra and the Fiesta ST 0-100 in about 6.5 for around €23000. If they came in 5door I'd be very tempted!

The Cupra & ST are hot hatches though
    CiniO wrote: »
    I was wondering - what would be an example of fastest car available on the market (say within last 15 years) which wouldn't be any sport's version or carry any Type-R, GTI, STI, EVO, etc name in it, or cost fortune....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Ryath wrote: »

Bang for buck the 184 is probably one of the better cars of its size in that regard. 184 is 30k though. Ibiza Cupra offers a lot of bang for your buck (probably the best value out there given the spec and performance) but is the badge too sporty for this game?

This thread needs rules, would be more fun then:D

Advertisement