Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The fastest regular car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

166man wrote: »
    The F30 is a disappointment indeed.

The Alfa ha proven itself to be a proper drivers car throughout numerous tests. Will be interesting to see if the quality is there on the inside.

What will be very important to them selling is competitive finance packages. Over 75% of new cars in Ireland sold last year were on PCP. They have to hit that market.

They're selling the 150hp diesel for 270 Euro / month on a lease deal in Italy (I believe it's roughly similar to what is called "PCP" here). Seems good to me in general terms, I have absolutely no idea compared to the competition - never availed of such scheme.

To the people who keep pandering about a BMW 330d or hot hatches (yep, a CUPRA is one) being "average" or "common" cars, maybe based on tax or fuel consumption...what to say, I'm happy for you if you have one, one more seriously performing car on the road.

The reality is however different - when I was looking for a 159 years ago, I wanted either a 2.2 JTS or a 1750 TBi. I ended up getting the 1.9 JTS because the former two are virtually non-existent in Ireland (and I didn't fancy paying a serious amount of VRT) and because the one I found needed some TLC, so I paid less than 50% of its market value at the time and avoided dodgy "'this been serviced yesterday, I swear!" statements :D.
    However, whenever I spoke with someone about looking for the 2.2, they spread their eyes in horror and went "Jaysus, what do you need that for" and thought that such engine would be more suitable for Monza than the streets of Ireland :P

Maybe the best way to express the concept would be "fastest car you regularly see driven by a 60-years-old-housewife on the grocery run"? Someboy would argue they saw a GILF in a Ferrari 360 and say it's therefore "average" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

The figures for the 2.2d Giulia are really impressive. Even the basic 148 looks like it would satisfy most people. Been a long time since you could say that about a basic model, they're doing something right if they stack up in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Ryath

millington wrote: »
    The Cupra & ST are hot hatches though
    Sorry meant more bang for buck they offer. Leon Fr is a spec level though you can get it with a 1.4 tsi with 125bhp
    Bang for buck the 184 is probably one of the better cars of its size in that regard. 184 is 30k though. Ibiza Cupra offers a lot of bang for your buck (probably the best value out there given the spec and performance) but is the badge too sporty for this game?

This thread needs rules, would be more fun then:D

We paid €27250 with 250 worth of extras! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Irish people don't except €750 as regular tax on a post-08 car:rolleyes:

And why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Jesus. wrote: »
    And why should they?

Helpful.

• Advertisement

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Helpful.

Anything to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Ryath wrote: »
    We 1 paid €27250 with 250 worth of extras! :D

I paid similar tbh too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

And why should they?

Who said they should? For some reason it's acceptable to pay 700 on a 15year old Golf or Avensis but you'd have to be maaaaad to pay it on a post-08 car, even if it's something like a 535d.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Anything to add?

No, just commenting that I thought your post was helpful.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I pay €1320/year in tax for the Insignia. Well worth it for the extra power :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I pay €1320/year in tax for the Insignia. Well worth it for the extra power :D

Not being smart but I hope you love the car and are prepared to keep it forever. It's definitely a niche car with a small market.

Sounds like a nice machine though

bmwguy wrote: »
    Not being smart but I hope you love the car and are prepared to keep it forever. It's definitely a niche car with a small market.

Sounds like a nice machine though

No plans on changing anytime soon. Has every possible extra you can think of inside and out I personally think that it is one of the best options money can buy in the "regular" car market biggrin.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Megahead

Yes but it's an Opel:)

Who said they should? For some reason it's acceptable to pay 700 on a 15year old Golf or Avensis but you'd have to be maaaaad to pay it on a post-08 car, even if it's something like a 535d.

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Tbh the f30 is such a disappointment, the new alfa should do well.
    166man wrote: »
    The F30 is a disappointment indeed.

What's wrong with the f30 out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

fastest car? has to be the company car

Megahead wrote: »
    Yes but it's an Opel:)

I'm sure you have a point in there somewhere, but its so clverely disguised that I just can't seem to find it....

*Pervious car was an Astra OPC. Nothing wrong with Opels when you buy the correct ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dzwx wrote: »
    fastest car? has to be the company car

Rentals are faster.

Zeus is that the V6 you have?

Zeus is that the V6 you have?

No, its a straight-4 engine in mine, the 220BHP model.

The OPC model is the V6 model - 325BHP I believe they are. (4x4 also)

The Astra OPC was a very fun car to drive when I had it. Terrible torque steer but other than that, 240BHP in a car that light made for some very interesting times :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Megahead

I'm sure you have a point in there somewhere, but its so clverely disguised that I just can't seem to find it....

*Pervious car was an Astra OPC. Nothing wrong with Opels when you buy the correct ones ;)
    Just jesting there zues, nothing wrong with opels (in the past obviously yes) and I really do like the look of the insignia, especially the quicker versions. I take it it's pre 08 if the tax is that high?

Megahead wrote: »
    Just jesting there zues, nothing wrong with opels (in the past obviously yes) and I really do like the look of the insignia, especially the quicker versions. I take it it's pre 08 if the tax is that high?

I know but I couldn't let you off easy!

Its an 08, pre-July. Picked it up 2 years ago with 72,000km on the clock, currently has 105,000km and going strong. I think its the first time I've ever had one car for more than 2 years - just gave me the proper blend of space, comfort and power. I will be sad to part with it when the day comes but I will never drop below the 220/230bhp level again, so hopefully I will trade upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JamesFitz

Can I just hijack this thread for a second and ask what the fastest cheap second-hand car is?

By cheap I mean costing no more than 5000, and having reasonable tax/insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JamesFitz wrote: »
    Can I just hijack this thread for a second and ask what the fastest cheap second-hand car is?

The thread can't even agree on the definition for the fastest regular car, getting agreement on a €5k 2nd hand will be impossible.

What I can insure reasonably could cost you a fortune and vice versa.

Haha, I get you.

I'm only a young lad, so anything around 1500 is expected for insurance....

Not to keep harping about the same car but an Astra OPC is insured as a "standard" 2.0l Astra, or at least it was when I had it. Can pick one up for about 5k I would think so there's an option for you.

Not to keep harping about the same car but an Astra OPC is insured as a "standard" 2.0l Astra, or at least it was when I had it. Can pick one up for about 5k I would think so there's an option for you.
    A lot of those are coming in around the 6000-10000 range, just out of reach for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

If I ever had to get a small engined car that's cheap to run but still packs a punch, it'd be the 1.4 TSI Golf GT. Costs just about €5000, tax is €385 for the year and I was getting insurance quotes south of €500 on it (25 M 4y NCB). Coming in at 170bhp, I really don't see anything else around that's like it in terms of power, price and running costs.

Example: https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gt-1-4-170bhp/12422954

If I ever had to get a small engined car that's cheap to run but still packs a punch, it'd be the 1.4 TSI Golf GT. Costs just about 5000, tax is 385 for the year and I was getting insurance quotes south of 500 on it (25 M 4y NCB). Coming in at 170bhp, I really don't see anything else around that's like it in terms of power, price and running costs.

Example: https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gt-1-4-170bhp/12422954
    Nice, be doing well if I got myself one of those now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm very happy with my 1.8 diesel 2012 lancer, 150bhp is a big difference from my 1.2 fiesta! And you can buy them new for 21000k. Costs 200 on tax too! It's a mivec though so does it count? Going to tune it to 175bhp! I got mine for 9000 euro with fiesta as trade in

Advertisement