Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The fastest regular car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I do Sligo to limerick return which is a mix of B roads and motorway in my 155tdci Mondeo st
    It's quite modefied and I'm pretty sure you'd need something special to beat my yoke at a 5.5 hours total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

123d a contender id say. 0 - 60 in 6.7 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    123d a contender id say. 0 - 60 in 6.7 secs.

In year acc is important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Tigger wrote: »
    In year acc is important
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

BMW 330e is 6.1s and is one of cheapest BMW 3 series engine options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

September1 wrote: »
    BMW 330e is 6.1s and is one of cheapest BMW 3 series engine options.
    I think the days of oil burners are gone. With their emissions, weight, complexity and general unpleasantness, petrol turbos and hybrids are slowly coming back. It is just a question of when the unfair taxes on petrol is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I definitely think an E90 320d is the winner here. Most of the quicker cars are a lot dearer to tax. There are loads more "sleeper" sorts of cars on the market such as the D5 Volvos.

1.4 TSI Golf is a good shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

kceire wrote: »
    535d
    €750 tax per annum
    26mpg city and close to 50 on motorway runs.
    300bhp and much more torque and that was before the remap :)
    Insurance was the same price as the 525d it replaced!

But, if you want average Irish car then, nothing beats the E90 onwards 320d.

I know your like your BMW's but nothing beats the E90..? Pig ugly cars with desperately cheap interiors along with timing chains made of brittle chocolate?

There's better out there....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

1.4TSI golf 150bhp, cheap tax at €200p/a good mpg (I'm currently at 42mpg). Also comes with ACT, shuts down two cylinders.

0-60 - 8 secs

Get it with an R-line pack makes the exterior much nicer imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Drove a Volvo S80 T6 a couple of times in the past.
    That was pretty nice and quick.

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    I know your like your BMW's but nothing beats the E90..? Pig ugly cars with desperately cheap interiors along with timing chains made of brittle chocolate?

There's better out there....;)
    In terms of this thread, nobody else has come up with a better answer that balances power & running costs :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

CiniO wrote: »
    But cost more then normal to tax and insure.

Not if they're 08+
    750 annual tax for something with 270bhp that can get 35mpg. Debadged a 535d would surprise anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is this thread about sleepers or cars you could get insurance for without raising an eyebrow on the other end of the phone? I can imagine the laughter coming from the call centre if I was ringing up for insurance on a bmw 535d or a volvo s80 t6, or indeed any car which isn't the lowest power engine available

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Is this thread about sleepers or cars you could get insurance for without raising an eyebrow on the other end of the phone? I can imagine the laughter coming from the call centre if I was ringing up for insurance on a bmw 535d or a volvo s80 t6, or indeed any car which isn't the lowest power engine available

You have seen the quotes people get for their low power cars?
    Eyebrows are flying all over the place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

• millington wrote: »
      In terms of this thread, nobody else has come up with a better answer that balances power & running costs :confused:

My candidate is faster, uses less fuel (well above 100 mpg) and has much lower tax band 170e.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

As I posted earlier, you're looking at the wrong vehicle type if you want to balance power and running costs.

Unless you're willing to spend several hundred grand on a car, you won't come close to the performance of a motorbike.

Keep the car for the commute and use the bike as a weekend toy.

OSI wrote: »
    OK, but what if I want to stay:
    a) warm and dry
    b) not looking like I got lost from a YMCA costume party
    c) not squished into a 50ft long streak on the road

a) I use a car for commuting, so this is a non-issue

b) See above. If you're that self conscious, then you have bigger problems than trying get a cheap fast car.

c) Statistically speaking, it's only a bit more dangerous than cycling, It's twenty times safer than horse riding.
    Get good training, be sensible and your risk of having an accident drops even further.

September1 wrote: »

My candidate is faster, uses less fuel (well above 100 mpg) and has much lower tax band 170e.

It is although in the grand scheme of things, still quite an expensive car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

millington wrote: »
    It is although in the grand scheme of things, still quite an expensive car

And is highly unlikely to ever get anywhere near the stated fuel consumption figures outside of laboratory conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

marketty wrote: »
    The 170bhp 1.4 tsi golf is quick, I would go so far as to say it's much better value than the gti.

The seamless power delivery of the Leaf is pretty impressive too, the eery silence is not to everyone's taste though!

Isn't the 1.4tsi 150 bhp, not 170?

BMW 320d has to be the best for decent power, low tax and great fuel consumption. 190 bhp, 0-60 in 7.3, 64 mpg and €200 to tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

enya kenny wrote: »
    Ford Mustang - no doubt. My dream ****in car!

55k 2.3 litre 0-60 5.6 seconds
    80k 5.0 litre 0-60 4.5 seconds

I see about 5 of them in Lyons today, must be selling a few.

Wailin wrote: »

BMW 320d has to be the best for decent power, low tax and great fuel consumption. 190 bhp, 0-60 in 7.3, 64 mpg and €200 to tax.

Unless you compare it to the Volvo S60 which is €3,580 cheaper retail, quicker to 60 mph, costs less to tax, and does 72mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,434 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I see about 5 of them in Lyons today, must be selling a few.

Think they've been there a while, could be waiting for 162 reg I suppose. They look class. So out of place on the ballysimon road!

R.O.R wrote: »
    Unless you compare it to the Volvo S60 which is €3,580 cheaper retail, quicker to 60 mph, costs less to tax, and does 72mpg.

2.0L petrol is faster but heavier on juice. Diesel is better economy but marginally slower (0-62 in 7.6sec as opposed to 7.3).

2.0L petrol is faster but heavier on juice. Diesel is better economy but marginally slower (0-62 in 7.6sec as opposed to 7.3).

MY16 cars have been downgraded time wise for the acceleration figures :confused:

MY15.5 S60 D4 is 6.9 seconds to 60 mph, but 7.4 to 100km/h.

Coincided with the Co2 increase from 99g to 102g, so probably due to pesky tyre clustering legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Isn't the 1.4tsi 150 bhp, not 170?

And a 3k bill when the timing chain goes.

pablo128 wrote: »
    And a 3k bill when the timing chain goes.

With the new B47 engine? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Anything with the VW 1.8T in it.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Advertisement